Gift from Three Bottles- Mtbr.com
    na
    Aug 2008

Gift from Three Bottles

3rd degree AC separation coming down 3B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gift from Three Bottles-image02_cr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is awesome. Snap!
    Hope the ride was good, heal quickly. 4 weeks?
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

na
    Aug 2008
    I was tired that day and maybe riding a little forward. There is a tricky left turn with a rock drop towards the end of the gnarly stuff, after the bigger drops. I entered on the outside of the turn and hit a well. Someone had moved rocks to the center, leaving the side hollowed out. Front end bounced and I flew up and onto my left shoulder. Felt it snap, brief numbness and then realized immediately it was separated. My buddies gave me water, fashioned my pack into a shoulder support and we walked out. I have a 3rd degree A-C separation (acromio-clavicular) which is one of the most common MTB injuries, indeed,it can be considered a badge of courage. Treatment is non-surgical and useful function can be expected in 8-12 weeks with little or no residual effects. Quite lucky, really since I landed on dirt and not on rocks. Even luckier, my Ibis Mojo is fine!

mtbr member
    Damn Dude. (assuming) That is the exact spot and same crash I suffered two Tuesdays ago. It has to be. I went wide right. Missed the roller. Front tire dropped I went OTB on to my face and left shoulder. Hard pack dirt not rocks. I only separated my rib from my sternum it turns out so I got off considerably easier than you.There is something wrong with my shoulder that has kept me off my bike for a week. IT SUCKS!!!!. Sorry about your shoulder man heal up well.
    A.K.A. The Blood Orange.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    What no surgical hardware or dental work? You got "lucky" pal! I broke an ankle and tibia playing hockey a while back. The surgeon used two titanium screws and one mending rod , to repair me. Three months recovery/rehab and I was good to go. Orthopedic docs rock! Get well soon...
    Life is short, live your dream now!

Stucco Bucket
    that sucks...
    It should be all rideable here soon..
    Heal well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by camino4
    I have a 3rd degree A-C separation (acromio-clavicular) which is one of the most common MTB injuries,
    I have the same separation on the right side for the past eight years. I hope you are right handed because trying to clean your rear-end with your none dominant hand just doesn’t work the same. I’m right handed so it really sucked. So here is what I experienced. 1st week – a few times a day take my right arm out of the sling- letting my arm hang I would make small to big circles. 2nd and 3rd week, started to lift arm and move it all around – side, over head, ect. 4th week started hitting the weights, starting very light. Started with the cables weights to build up the stabilizing muscles. 5th week back to riding and building up more shoulder strength. Now, keep hitting the weights to keep it strong. The only thing that still hurts is if I try to sleep on that side for more that 20min. Happy healing…

na
    Aug 2008
    Fortunately, it was my left shoulder, so my hygiene has not suffered. Although I've been re-assured that I will have full recovery (other than an ugly bump), I'm depressed about the thought of not riding for a while. Thanks for the encouragement!

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Well, both my shoulders are 3rd degree separated. My right shoulder was surgically put back together and blew the surgery up 7 years later. 3rd separations really suck at first, a LOT of pain and no strength in the arm (my first surgeon (that choose not to operate on my left shoulder in 1988) said that basically I don't have a shoulder anymore, it is part of my back. I was young then I was snowboarding (in pain) a few days later. My right shoulder separation happened in 1998 and after 6 months of pain and not being able to put weight on it I had the surgery.

Today I have to huge lumps and my shoulders blades and neck get really tight after a long ride. My recommendation is a lot of physical therapy to stabilize the shoulder and a lot of yoga, foam rolling and stretching to keep it loose and functioning.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

na
    Aug 2008

Good job! able to ride

Well, at least you are able to ride. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi
    I have the same separation on the right side for the past eight years. I hope you are right handed because trying to clean your rear-end with your none dominant hand just doesn’t work the same. I’m right handed so it really sucked. So here is what I experienced. 1st week – a few times a day take my right arm out of the sling- letting my arm hang I would make small to big circles. 2nd and 3rd week, started to lift arm and move it all around – side, over head, ect. 4th week started hitting the weights, starting very light. Started with the cables weights to build up the stabilizing muscles. 5th week back to riding and building up more shoulder strength. Now, keep hitting the weights to keep it strong. The only thing that still hurts is if I try to sleep on that side for more that 20min. Happy healing…
    Left handed people usually don't wipe their ass with the hand they eat with.

Members who have read this thread: 0