Ghost bike- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ghost bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Ghost bike

Thought you guys/gals might be interested in this.
    Hi all,

Thanks to the efforts of Miriam Hill, we will be placing a ghost bike in Santa Fe this coming Saturday. I am inviting all of you to attend, and also asking that you pass this invitation on to others you know. Especially those of you in Santa Fe or with friends there. We are hoping for a large turnout, although I know its cold and not very enticing to come stand around outside for half an hour or so. We could really use your support though, so please join us!

As you can read in the attached press release, we are honoring David Sciera who was killed on the 599 bypass in 1998. January 15th was his birthday. The ghost bike will be placed where the crash happened, about 3 miles north/northwest of the I-25/599 interchange. The penalty the driver faced for killing David Sciera was 20 hours of community service and writing a letter of apology to the Sciera family. This is a familiar lack of consequence when a cyclist is killed in a traffic crash. We are trying to work with other vulnerable users to effect a change in NM State law that might help address this lack of penalty for drivers who severely injure or kill vulnerable users. Details are in the press release or you can e-mail me for more information about this effort.

In any event, we hope to see you Saturday at 3pm

J

mtbr member

Can't see attachment

Am interested in attending, but need more info. Can't find the press release. Thanks.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Big John
    I wish I lived close enough to attend this event.

Not to hijack the thread, but, wow... the law is vicious to cyclist killers up there.
    When Anthony Lemieux was murdered here in Las Cruces by a motorist a couple of years ago, all the driver got was a "due care" citation.

I hope you have a great turnout up there.
    Road, mountain, commute, CX... who cares? Shut up and ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    3pm Saturday just north of Airport rd on 599 at the first bridge.

Members who have read this thread: 0