A few hours in Taos -- enough time to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

A few hours in Taos -- enough time to ride?

I'll be in Taos for a day in a couple of weeks. Is it worth renting a bike and trying to ride if I only have a few hours to do it?

I've never gotten the chance to ride outside of my local trails in the Midwest, so I would love to try riding something that puts the actual "mountain" in mountain biking. However, from what I'm seeing online I don't know if the 4 hours or so I would have available would be enough time to get anywhere and back again. Opinions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    You could ride the West Rim Trail.

It follows the west rim of the Rio Grande gorge for 10 miles (2 hrs. ?), is pretty flat and scenic. It heads south from the scenic pullout on the west side of the Gorge bridge, 15 miles and about 20 minutes west of town on Rt 64.

It's not at high elevation so the altitude might not be an issue, very exposed though, so early morning would be suggested. Bring water as well.

It's a Green trail, so considered easy. With rental, drive out and back plus ride, a 4 hr. window might work.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/ne...lon=-105.74271

Bike rentals here:
    https://gearingupbikes.com/rentals/

mtbr member
    Devisadero or the El Nogal section of the SBT are close to town and will get you some mountain time right from the start. Each is rugged and steep, and requires hiking, but provides quality terrain if you know how to shift and use your brakes. If you're not comfortable on moderately-gnarly terrain stick to the West Rim, or consider the Rift Valley Trail about 15 mins from town and ride the eastern half, there's a few loops you can link up that are rideable within a couple hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the replies. Are the trails that have been suggested ones that can be navigated by someone unfamiliar with them, or should I try to find someone local to guide/ride along?

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Download mtb project and enjoy yourself! Taos is great.

mtbr member
    The West Rim trail is pretty straight forward, out and back or point to point. It would take some effort to get lost on that trail. The Rift Valley trails can be weirdly disorienting the way some of the connectors link up different loops.
    Last edited by AlienTrees; 07-22-2019 at 08:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    West Rim heads either North or South as seen on TrailForks. If you miss the trail you are either heading west into the desert of getting wet in the Rio Grande. Pretty easy to figure out.