Is Fall/Winter a bad time to start bike commuting? (ABQ)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is Fall/Winter a bad time to start bike commuting? (ABQ)

I'm getting my bike assembled and plan to start commuting to work here in the next few weeks. Or probably a month before I have the wind to make it the 20 miles up the Paseo de Bosque trail and across Paseo to work.

With the weather and changes is it a bad time to start doing this 3-4 times a week? Or is it just a matter of taking the right clothing and adjusting to the elements?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think it's a matter of taking the right clothes. I am not hardcore, but I try to ride in 2 times a week and I need a wind breaker in the morning and nothing in the evening. Later on base layer top + jacket and bike pants or base layer pants + long finger gloves + hat + ear protection.

I am mostly a fair weather rider though so if it looks bad I probably wont ride and I doubt I will ride a lot later when it gets really cold.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Per-fest time to start actually.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fall is great time to start. Just try and get your layering down for winter and buy some nice gloves. The Bosque bike path is really cold on winter mornings since it is in the shade once you get past the Cambell and Candaleria.

mtbr member
    This is a wonderful time to start commuting in the Land of Enchantment. I ride the trails to work three times a week and this time of year is my favorite. Bring a light after the time change. Enjoy!
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Genius
    Now is a fantastic time to ride. Cool mornings and warm afternoons. Not hot and not cold. Get out and ride!!!!!!!!!!!
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    May 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! great time

Now's the time, when the consequences are low, to figure out what lighting and clothing are going to work for you. I recommend the MagicShine light from GeoManGear.com. It might be overkill if you don't have any hills to descend, but it's a great deal at $0.10/lumen. A balaclava and excellent gloves are important to me. A mirror, while making me look like a geek, is extremely valuable. I have tried many, and I prefer the rectangular glasses-mounted mirror from the Bike Peddler. Have fun and be careful.

mtbr member
    My bike should be in and assembled by October 6th so I'm excited to get started. Have my route planned out now just a matter of getting the conditioning down to make it to work heheh.

I'm happy to hear it's a good time to start. Is December and January pretty brutal or not that much different than October and November? I can't imagine ice and really low temperatures will be much of a problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveL7 View Post
    My bike should be in and assembled by October 6th so I'm excited to get started. Have my route planned out now just a matter of getting the conditioning down to make it to work heheh.

I'm happy to hear it's a good time to start. Is December and January pretty brutal or not that much different than October and November? I can't imagine ice and really low temperatures will be much of a problem.
    It was negative 5 F for a couple of days last winter. Kind of an anomaly though.

Mornings in the teens aren't uncommon in Jan/Feb

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ya it gets cold in the winter. Depending on what times you are planning on riding, you could actually freeze your water before you need a drink. I can creep up in the shade, but even a tiny amount of ice on road tread is crappy. Commuting on the trails is fun and, for the most part, peaceful. However, be prepared for some $hitty days.

mtbr member
    Hoping to get used to riding in general before the temperatures get too low.