exploring NM- Mtbr.com

Thread: exploring NM

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

exploring NM

I am looking for some new trails to explore.

Criteria:
    • Within about a 2 hour drive from the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area.
    • Camping area at the trail head or nearby.
    • Cell service at the camping area.
    • At least 4 hours worth of riding. 8 to 16 hours of riding would be better for multiple 3-6 hour rides over a long weekend.

Any ideas?

Mars

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Been to Los Alamos?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Been to Los Alamos once to ride the lift. What other trails are out there?

Some of the places I want to explore are remote. I need to get some sort of satellite communication device so cell service would be nice but not absolute.

So far my bucket list includes:
    Zuni mountains
    Jemez Mountains-seven springs
    Abiquiu
    El Rito/Vallecitos
    Tres Ritos
    Cabezon
    Pie Town

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My bucket list includes riding the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route. I don't think I want to do the whole thing, just the most interesting part from Rawlings Wyoming to Silver City.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...in-bike-route/

But that is a whole other adventure ride.

Note the Great Divide route (GDMBR) follows the CDT but it routes around wilderness.

Is the bike OK?

Los Alamos Area Trails

Quote Originally Posted by Mars29 View Post
    Been to Los Alamos once to ride the lift. What other trails are out there?..
    There's a ton! The two epics are:

1. Pajarito P-Lot going north on Canada Bonita, Pipeline, GUAJE RIDGE, Cabra, and end around at round-a-bout or take Perimeter back around town. This is a few hour ride and requires a shuttle unless you want to ride up Quemazon/Pipeline to get to Guaje which makes it around 4k of climbing. Normally Guaje Ridge is full of thorny locusts at this time of year but for some reason they didn't grow very much this summer.

2. Also from Pajarito P-Lot, climb the east side of the ski area and go off the backside onto Pajarito Canyon trail, take left at fork and another left at the Nail Trail fork to get to Camp May trail which descends parallel to the Cam May road. Then take either Gabriela or Dickless until you cross the bridge into town. That's already 3k of descending but you can continue to go on Pueblo Canyon Rim trail to and down Camp Hamilton trail and then down to the highway where it splits between White Rock and Los Alamos. You'd need a shuttle pick up at that point.

Pajarito Canyon trail isn't in very good shape this summer so I'd pick #1 over #2 for epic rides.

Besides these there are just a ton of really good trails that you can loop in and around the Los Alamos town sight and Los Alamos Lab area. I'd look them up on MTB project or Tral Forks and ask us locals for loop options depending on what you want to ride.

Formerly of Kent
    Subscribed.

Love Santa Fe. Want to see more of NM, and soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    About 5 minutes after posting the question about LA trails I realized the trails are really well documented on MTBproject.

I never really thought of LA as a camping destination. After looking at it I see there are a few options such as Camp May and Ponderosa Campground.

Mars

Is the bike OK?
    About 5 minutes after posting the question about LA trails I realized the trails are really well documented on MTBproject.

I never really thought of LA as a camping destination. After looking at it I see there are a few options such as Camp May and Ponderosa Campground.
    Yeah, Camp May is a great camp area but there are also a bunch of primitive camp spots off Camp May road and off the dirt road that goes north of the highway 4 just west of 501 near Water Canyon and some other good trails in that area.

Rocks belong
    We've found some great camping off FS102, which is a mile or two down hill from ski santa fe. From camp you can ride Winsor, Rio De Medio, Borrego, etc.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    If rural and remote doesn't matter, Taos Ski Valley ~ you can camp at the Twining Campground right by the parking lot and Bull of the Woods trailhead, there's 5 or 6 free sites some with tables and tent pads on this Carson National Forest campground and you can legally park an rv or camper in the upper parking lot. Twining Road is right there and Northside at Taos Ski Valley has enough trail to create several different rides from a couple hours to a full 10,000 calorie day. It's not really a camping-in-nature vibe here but the tradeoffs are reliable cell phone service, Tim's Stray Dog Cantina is usually open for post-ride beverages and the Bumps market sells beer and other things that are nice to have in camp. Despite being a resort area it often isn't crowded during the Summer and bears have been known to wander around the village.

Trail Map for Mountain Biking and Hiking on Northside at Taos Ski Valley

Another option close to Taos that meets the criteria and has a more camping-in-the-woods atmosphere is Garcia Park and the South Boundary Trail. There's a lot of dispersed campsites and phone service is reliable. The SBT is the only formal bike trail however there's enough forest road to ride/bikepack for several days without riding the same route twice, these roads are starting to show up on MTBProject and provide some legitimate bikepacking potential.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    While I totally LOVE riding in remote, rugged places, I also enjoy a bed at the end of the day. Camping is great for a night with rides in between, but for multiple days, not so much for me.
    In the Santa Fe National Forest there is a place called Hyde State Park (it is part of the NM State Parks). There they have these newly-built Yurts. Check these out! hydeparkyurts From this location there are literally dozens and dozens of rides possible. Some of them are double diamond stuff, like Raven's Ridge down through Rio En Medio (aka, REM), some of them are long endurance rides like loops of Winsor through Big Tesque to the radio towers and drops down through Upper Winsor and/or upper REM to Mineral to Discount to Jawbone, to either Winsor or go brutal and take the new trail Game On in reverse! There are ways to ride to Dale Ball and Atalaya, Secret Agent, etc...So many ways to go. Get your food on the way up and ride for days and days without ever getting in the car.

Perpetually Intermediate
    Abiqui area is loaded with fat biking potential due to a zillion miles of sandy arroyos and canyons off the Jemez and Brazos, but actual single track is minimal and you'd be making your own routes. Lots of car camping availability nearby. Next to zero cell phone coverage though.
    RSD Wildcat 27.5+
    Surly Ice Cream Truck
    Raleigh townie turned Gravel Grinder

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    While I totally LOVE riding in remote, rugged places, I also enjoy a bed at the end of the day. ...
    With RV camping you get a hot shower at the end of the day, a refrigerator for your beer, a place to cook out of the wind and a comfy bed.

Mars

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Yeah, Camp May is a great camp area but there are also a bunch of primitive camp spots off Camp May road and off the dirt road that goes north of the highway 4 just west of 501 near Water Canyon and some other good trails in that area.
    Iím looking into this as well. Can you suggest a good 2-3 hour loop for a strong / intermediate rider?

Iím coming from sea level while moving cross country and looking into northern New Mexico as an alternate to southern Utah riding I had planned for the beginning of this week. Hurricane Rosa literally washed out my Utah riding plans. I have a high clearance 4x4 to camp from. Would ideally ride from camp. Currently visiting family in Phoenix so looking to roll into Santa Fe or other northern NM camp spot Tuesday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I need to get some sort of satellite communication device
    inReach is good. Here is my review

https://advrider.com/f/threads/compa...#post-25268298

Four years later I still depend on it. Great product.