Colorado Visitors- Mtbr.com
    Human Crayon

Colorado Visitors

A friend and I are thinking of escaping south to ride some new trail during our time off for the holidays. We are only looking to ride two days and within a 5-6hr drive from CO Springs...thinking Albuquerque might be the ticket, but I'm open to ideas. Would LA still be good or do they get snowed this time of year?

Also, we are considering camping and riding but from what I'm reading, that might not be wise in that area.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if we did hit Albuquerque, which area would you recommend as a must do?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

saddlemeat
    ^The weather will be the biggest factor, and is hard to predict this time of year. Be flexible, and prepared to drive a couple more hours south.
    I ride with the best dogs.

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by sleestak View Post
    if we did hit Albuquerque, which area would you recommend as a must do?

Thanks

If the weather holds up by then,the east side of the sandia mountains will be the place to ride.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Is the bike OK?

Los Alamos

Right now LA is bone dry from town all the way to the top of the ski area with no foreseeable snow in the short-term forecast. One good storm could change the really high country but unless the temperatures cool down a lot, the trails around town will probably stay in good condition (most of our trails are at the town elevation). There's a good chance you could enjoy some really good riding in LA! I'd just keep your eye on the weather and stay in contact with us locals closer to your trip to see if it stays good to go. There is plenty of primitive camping areas near town but they are a bit higher in elevation and might have snow when you do your trip. But again, just check back closer to your trip for an update on those conditions too.

Human Crayon
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Right now LA is bone dry from town all the way to the top of the ski area with no foreseeable snow in the short-term forecast. One good storm could change the really high country but unless the temperatures cool down a lot, the trails around town will probably stay in good condition (most of our trails are at the town elevation). There's a good chance you could enjoy some really good riding in LA! I'd just keep your eye on the weather and stay in contact with us locals closer to your trip to see if it stays good to go. There is plenty of primitive camping areas near town but they are a bit higher in elevation and might have snow when you do your trip. But again, just check back closer to your trip for an update on those conditions too.
    Thanks for the update. We have snow in the high country here, but our front range has only seen a few small snow storms, so it had me wondering.

..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Hi there. Any update? I'm was planning on going to Sedona for most of next week, but I also would like to check out NM. Is there any hope for dry trails?
    Calmer'n you are.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dry trails? We haven't had any precipitation in 3 months!

mtbr member
    So what you're saying is the trails around Santa Fe and Albuquerque should be rideable, assuming it doesn't precipitate.
    Calmer'n you are.

saddlemeat
    The Zuni Mountains trails are excellent right now, on the way too.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    Calmer'n you are.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    Hi there. Any update? I'm was planning on going to Sedona for most of next week, but I also would like to check out NM. Is there any hope for dry trails?
    Los Alamos is still perfectly dry with no weather in the short-term forecast. Riding is great although I'd rather be snowboarding this time of year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    The Zuni Mountains trails are excellent right now, on the way too.
    Thanks for the news, Bill. I'm also leaning towards a holiday getaway to Sedona for early next week, and was wanting to break up the drive with a ride in your area on Sat. Bet it's freakin' cold in the Zuni's right now though, right?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm not sure about Santa Fe, but everything around ABQ is rideable now, depending on your tolerance for cold. Foothills are nice most of the day, Tijeras is nice mid-day, Sandias are probably a little chilly.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    Thanks for the news, Bill. I'm also leaning towards a holiday getaway to Sedona for early next week, and was wanting to break up the drive with a ride in your area on Sat. Bet it's freakin' cold in the Zuni's right now though, right?
    Didn't catch this until now, been on the mountain for awhile. Bright sunny days in the fifties, single digit nights. Would like a bunch of snow but very enjoyable for now.