Can anyone help me out with trail beta for Cloudcroft and Ruidoso?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Idea! Can anyone help me out with trail beta for Cloudcroft and Ruidoso?

Heading down there for a couple days in a couple weeks. Here are some top of mind questions...

Is the Rim Trail worth riding? If so, is it better to go south to north or north to south?

Trails around Ruidoso that are highly rated on MTB Project are Cedar Creek, 12 Hours in the Wild West Race Course, Grindstone Ridge, and Fisherman's Trail. Any of those worth riding?

The guys I ride with and I are all quite fit and not afraid of climbing. We tend toward upper intermediate in terms of skill and like to challenge ourselves with technical riding. We've all ridden everything in Three Bottles, as a point of reference (some of it scares the crap out of me, but I've ridden it all. )

Any information any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

ABQ Clyde
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    cedar creek is nice,good set of trails there and a new flow trail,grindstone is nice too....crazy numbers of texans in ruidoso though,traffic can get pretty bad...

the rim trail is also nice unless its wet and then it can be a muddy nightmare...lots of climbing,but its also easy to bail to the road and get back to cloudcroft

mtbr member
    Thanks hamsterspam! Great info!

We're going to be riding Monday through Wednesday, so I'm assuming Ruidoso shouldn't be too badly overrun with Texans.

As for the Rim Trail, I've seen mixed reviews on whether or not it's worth it to start up north and ride the whole thing? Any opinion on that?

Thanks again,
    ABQ Clyde

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    its a long day if im remembering my directions right coming from the north,but on the other hand as i said its fairly easy to bail to the road and im pretty sure its downhill for the most part so it can be a easy ride back to cloudcroft.

cedar creek if you ride everything around there would be a good long day,i think theres about 30 miles of trails around there,ive only seen about half but it was all really nice trails,big beefy berms,all around nice,climbs not to long,nothing techy aside from the flow trail...
    cloudcroft is another sort of beast,theres some stout climbs that get rooty and rocky in spots,and go on for miles,but its super nice riding up in the forest,but there are rocky stretches,and the occasional tricky switchback...i got my ass handed to me out there...bonked out and had to bail to the road...but im eager to go back and take it on again...

mtbr member
    Thanks again for the excellent info.