Camping recommendation near Angel Fire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Camping recommendation near Angel Fire

Planning a summer trip (August 2017) for mountain biking in/around Angel Fire and would like recommendations for camping in that area. We have a small teardrop camper with electric/water hookups but can boondock if we have to. A site near a lake/river/stream for fishing would be a plus. Would like to be no more than 40 miles from Angel Fire. Thanks for any ideas!

Stucco Bucket
    theres a lake right under angel fire, Eagles nest but im not sure about boondocking on the shore

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    A few years back I raced an Enduro at Angel Fire and stayed at Cimarron Canyon State Park (Cimarron Canyon State Park). It is gorgeous and a stream runs the entire length of the park. Although you should try and reserve your camping spot early because the place can get crowded quick in the summer.

There are other numerous state parks as well as National Forest camping between Taos and Angel Fire. Just go to Google Maps and zoom in until you can see the area around Taos/Angel Fire. The typing "camping" in the search bar. A lot of options will come up.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There is a official campground onsite down the hill from the lifts if you want easy. It's only for tents and small trailers as they want you to pay the big bucks at the fancy new RV place if you have a large trailer. It usually doesn't get too crowded but it can kinda suck for mud if there is a ton of rain.
    Last time I was there a bear tried to get into a guys tent but I suppose that is just camping in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jkldouglas View Post
    Cimarron Canyon State Park (Cimarron Canyon State Park).
    I've stayed there. Really nice little place. Parking ease is in the middle of the CG near the stream but it gets very congested there. I would recommend getting up higher in the far end if your rig can manage it. It's a completely different setting. I was sitting in the pitch dark in one of the more secluded spots after dinner with my back to the woods and my food still out, and a bear walked right up to my table behind me. A genuine wtf moment for both of us.