Camping near Dale ball?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Camping near Dale ball?

Thinking of coming to New Mexico from Colorado next week to ride. I see Dale ball is popular but would like to camp and hopefully have access to the trails from camp. Any such camping there? If it rains and or snows, how many days till the trails are ridable? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There are several trailheads for the Dale Ball system and none of them allow camping. It is strictly enforced as well. If you want to camp you best bet at this time of the year would be at Black Canyon Campground in Hyde State Park on the ski basin road. This is the closest legal camping near town and the Dale Ball Trails, plus all of the totally ridable trails in the lower sections of the upper mountain (Winsor, Bear Wallow, Borrego, Chamisa, Sidewinder, Juan, Discount, etc).

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sant...a/?recid=75604

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanka, it's supposed to rain tuesday, will they be ok to ride WED or Thurs? Wondering if I should change my plans if it's really muddy there

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Parks71 View Post
    Thanka, it's supposed to rain tuesday, will they be ok to ride WED or Thurs? Wondering if I should change my plans if it's really muddy there
    My wife and I are in the same boat. Our spring break aligns with Jeep Week in Moab this year, so thatís a big no-go for us.

Weíve camped at one of the USFS campgrounds off 475. I think it was Black Canyon.

Itís bone dry from 7-8,500ft here in the Front Range of CO. Same down in Santa Fe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    My wife and I are in the same boat. Our spring break aligns with Jeep Week in Moab this year, so thatís a big no-go for us.

Weíve camped at one of the USFS campgrounds off 475. I think it was Black Canyon.

Itís bone dry from 7-8,500ft here in the Front Range of CO. Same down in Santa Fe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Unless the skies open up and it is a deluge (we can only hope!), the Dale Ball trails will be fine to ride Wednesday in the later morning. There are a couple of spots where there is some caliche and if there is enough moisture (we can only wish!) it can get kind of greasy and pack stuff up fairly quickly. Dale Ball North and South are not prone to this situation. It is mostly DB Central, especially between #21 and #16 that is most problematic.

La Tierra is terrible if it rains enough. However, it doesn't look like this kind of system, so I wouldn't worry too much about rain/snow.

As to our higher country stuff, the snow pack is fairly thin and becomes only something of a consideration above 9500-10,000 feet. Below that in the deep shadows and along extreme north facing slopes you might encounter some snow pack and/or ice. At the bottom of the Winsor where it remains mostly in the shade the Big Tesuque Creek will have ice covering the stream. Be careful! It can be hollowed out and appear to be ridable. Not too fun to stick the front end through the ice and go over the bars only to land in the creek! But all of the mid elevation stuff is riding great right now.

So you guys coming down here for a ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I want to, snowing there now, supposed to get about an inch, hope it won't mess up the trails. If it's bad I'll head to Cortez after I check out Santa Fe for a day or two. Thanks for the info. I'll be heading that way at 4am.