Burning of the zozobra worth it?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Burning of the zozobra worth it?

New to NM, been here about a month now. Wanted to check out fiesta in santa fe. Is the burning of the zozobra worth checking out? Or is there something better to see a different day? Any input is appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went last year. There were A LOT A LOT of people. I thought they were exaggerating the numbers when they said 50,000 people, until I got there. Imagine that many people anywhere in Santa Fe. There's just no single location that can handle it. In typical New Mexico fashion, they had major delays due to technical issues. When the show finally started, they were trying to tell us what was happening over the PA, but the music was still playing, and no one had any idea what was going on. They did have most amazing fireworks display I've ever seen. Leaving was a shitshow. Every street in every direction was completely packed. An ambulance was trying to get through and couldn't, there was just no where for us to go. God forbid a real emergency happens...

I'd say, do it once to say you did it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    How early should I get up there and where is the best place to park?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There is NO WHERE near the event to part. We took the Roadrunner from ABQ, then rode our bikes as far as we could toward the event. We ended up locking them a 15 minute walk from the event cuz it got so crowded we (my gf) couldn't ride in the crowd.

I can't tell you when to get there. Like I said, we stood around for 1 1/2 to 2 hours before anything happened.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Watching Old Man Gloom (aka Zozobra) burn is absolutely, positively required (at least once). It is a total trip and must be experienced first hand to believe. The Burning of Zozo was separated by one week from Fiestas, which is the following weekend. The whole thing is over the top; crazy in every possible way. When the two events were connected, it was better, but it was also potentially quite violent. The city separated the two events when 20 years ago there was a murder on the plaza following the burning. It was gang related and the city made the decision to move the two apart to control everything. Back in the day (late 1960's) the Hell's Angles had a gun battle on San Francisco Street with a rival bike gang. I was a very little kid, but those were the days....haha!