BME Glorieta Questions - Grom Class?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

BME Glorieta Questions - Grom Class?

My son is 16, and new to mountain bikes (not bikes....it's been BMX bikes up til now), but is advancing very quickly. He handles blue trails pretty easily, and has no problem attempting black diamond trails, although he will get off and walk if necessary. He has hit the free ride area at La Tierra a few times and can handle all but the biggest jumps, and on our local trails here in Los Alamos, he seeks out the roughest lines, whereas I seek out the easiest lines (LOL!). He is nowhere near ready to begin racing, but I noticed that the BME series states that riders of any age or skill level can participate. I even noticed that there is a "grom" class, which is what would be the best fit I believe. If it matters, he's on a 2017 Transition Patrol.

I've watched some of the videos of the trails in Glorieta, and they look pretty rough. Are the courses modified for the younger or less experienced riders, do they merely go slower, do they run fewer stages, etc? My son wants to sign up, but I want to make sure it is even an option.

Also, how does it work? I noticed the practice day is Friday.....which is a school day for my son, finals week in fact. So, getting out to practice on Friday may not be an option. Is this a non-starter right off the bat?

At the very least, we will attend as spectators. Do you have any advice in that regard? Are these events spectator friendly? My son would absolutely love to see all the riders he's been watching on Youtube!

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I would contact BME directly with the race format questions. Contact BME – Big Mountain Enduro

As for the trails, they are not too far from you and they are open now. Might as well go get a feel for the terrain before shelling out the race entry fees. Try Chili Dog and then Jagged Axe.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Mircoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I would contact BME directly with the race format questions. Contact BME – Big Mountain Enduro

As for the trails, they are not too far from you and they are open now. Might as well go get a feel for the terrain before shelling out the race entry fees. Try Chili Dog and then Jagged Axe.
    I've sent a couple of messages to the BME contacts, as well as the Glorieta POC. Still waiting to hear.

I thought that area was private? If we are able to ride it, then we will get on that right away! The trails here at home can be pretty rough, and he's willing to tackle any of them, even the blacks. I wouldn't say he's killing them, but he is able to negotiate them. That being said, I'm not sure they compare to Jagged Axe or Chili Dog! Just finishing the course is his goal.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    OK.....I heard from the coordinator on the Glorieta side, and he stated the Grom class is doable, as it is 3 stages instead of 4, with Jagged Axe being left out, and there were "A" and "B" lines, although he could still end up walking some. Gonna see if we can ride it this weekend to get a feel.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
    OK.....I heard from the coordinator on the Glorieta side, and he stated the Grom class is doable, as it is 3 stages instead of 4, with Jagged Axe being left out, and there were "A" and "B" lines, although he could still end up walking some. Gonna see if we can ride it this weekend to get a feel.
    Correction - What I was actually told was that the "most technical stage" would be left out. I just assumed it was Jagged Axe. My apologies.....