Best Towns For Adventures?- Mtbr.com
    Wanderer

Best Towns For Adventures?

Iím making a major life change. I have always wanted to live in either New Mexico or Arizona and after working at the same company since 1998 I am leaving and making the change. Its time as I need to do it before Iím to old to have adventures.

What in your opinion are the best towns (large or small) to live that have abundant outdoor activities all around?

Heres a wish list:

- Able to bike to a local trail or two from the house
    - Able to get a decent house (less than 2000 sq ft) for approximately 200k ish
    - Iíd like some elevation so it doesnít get to hot but not to cold either. I wouldnít want to be high enough to get months of snow.

Silver City and Las Vegas also looks neat and interesting, house prices are not to bad. Any opinions on those areaa? Iím sure theres nice places that do not come up in google searches so any recommendations?

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post

Silver City and Las Vegas also looks neat and interesting, house prices are not to bad. Any opinions on those areaa?

Silver City and Vegas are sort of opposites. Silver is nice but the economy is poor so it's best to go there with a fat wallet IMO. If you're considering Vegas I'd check out Tucson, tons of trails and reasonably cheap. Also Prescott.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Those are tough considerations, maybe in and around Taos. There's still some deals to be had on the outskirts of Santa Fe, but the real estate is getting pricey again.

Funny JB, first thought was Prescott too!

Perpetually Intermediate
    Taos is great but you'd need to downscale if you want to stay below $200 k for a house. Outdoors stuff is off the charts though. 4-seasons fun, often 4-seasons biking, and not too hot or cold.

Las Vegas is kind of a weird void. Lots of public land but not really any outdoor culture, so check it out before making any big decisions. Plus it is a very depressed area. Cheap, big, beautiful houses but there is a reason for that.

Silver City is awesome but I've only backpacked there and never ridden. Hotter than you might want, but not hot like Arizona.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Prescott, AZ

saddlemeat
    Gallup checks all your boxes, with good skilled and professional jobs available, + land can still be had on the mountain, within a 1/2 hour drive. I wouldn't live in those other places, lots of crime and violence. Our police don't shoot people either.
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
    Prescott, AZ
    X 2, absolutely.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

Wanderer
    Thanks for the suggestions all. Much appreciated. I'll be doing a trip and checking out towns in a month or two.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Silver City may be a great option. Trails in town with many adventures near town. Decent weather for the most part. However, as others have stated, the economy is not great, so finding a decent job will be a challenge.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The East Mountains of Albuquerque meet all of your criteria. Cedar Crest or Tijeras both have trails right outside of town. The snow part seems to be met this year. There is snow up there in the winter months but you always have the foothills of Albuquerque to ride when that happens.