Barbed Wire Gates- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Barbed Wire Gates

If youíre out searching for trail with all the closures be very careful on the CDT and Gooseberry trail at Mt. Taylor. Iíve ridden the CDT out there multiple times and totally forgot about this and ran right into a wire cattle gate at about 20 mph. I got cut up pretty bad but couldíve been way worse.

There is one I know of on the CDT north of 453 on a screaming descent (the one I hit) and two on Gooseberry.

Iíll be communicating with our range folks ASAP on this to make the gates more visible.

Be safe!

K

banned
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for posting, Kerry. Good to see you are taking a break from the daily grind.

There was similar situation on West Boundary this year, but it involved a tree that was just on the exit of a blind corner. I wrecked at least twice after coming into it at a pretty good clip. I kept wanting to get it out of the way, but being a solo rider most of the time it was just too big without a power saw. Until one day I saw a fella getting ready to tackle it with a bow saw, and I felt obligated to help (no way he would have been able to do it by himself). Bow saws are great because two people can really get after it and make quick work of a job like that, but we soon realized that the depth of the "bridge" was way too shallow for such a big ass tree! It took us about an hour, but we finally managed.

Anyway, good to know that Mt. Taylor is open, and sorry you sustained injuries. Currently nursing one myself.

Thanks for posting.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    If youíre out searching for trail with all the closures be very careful on the CDT and Gooseberry trail at Mt. Taylor. Iíve ridden the CDT out there multiple times and totally forgot about this and ran right into a wire cattle gate at about 20 mph. I got cut up pretty bad but couldíve been way worse.

There is one I know of on the CDT north of 453 on a screaming descent (the one I hit) and two on Gooseberry.

K
    Very sorry to hear about this.

Please add caution symbols to the MTBP maps, only takes a minute and could save somebody else from disaster:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/579...oseberry-trail

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...anyon-to-fr193

Click on "Share your trails" then "Add symbols to help guide the way"

In the future I will definitely GPS all gates and add them to MTBP trails.

It is hard to keep warning markers on anything in this high UV environment. 4 Mil flagging tape is about twice as thick as normal and lasts a lot longer. Costs more but worth it.

White Schedule 40 PVC pipe is high vis and will last a few years.

Even longer if wrapped completely with DOT-approved reflective tape, which is designed to last for decades on trucks. There are examples in the NFH AOS that show no deterioration.

One option is to slit the pipe lengthwise and slip it over the fence wire. But this weakens the PVC further when it gets brittle. Better option may be to leave the pipe intact and just run your own piece of stiff wire through it and attach this to the fence wire.