ATV trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: ATV trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

ATV trails

As I'm trying to get everything thing in order for my move to nm next year I have one thing I have to decide whether to bring or sell, my ATV. Before I rode mtbs, I used to race quads, but in 2013 a crash left me with a forearm that looked like a wet noodle and a broken hand as well. By the time I had healed and wanted to start riding there was nowhere left to ride in mass. The trout cops had clamped down pretty hard everywhere and I'm getting too old for running from the cops anymore. So my question is are there enough trails in the abq/sf area to justify keeping my quad or should I just sell it? I've done some research online doesn't seem to be alot of legal places to ride from what I could tell. I think I saw that you can ride them on some of the trails in tijeras when I was there but it didn't seem like that much. But just because there isn't a lot of legal riding doesn't mean that there isn't plenty of riding. In mass I grew up riding a lot of what I call "legal-illegal trails" they weren't technically legal but nobody bothered us if we were registered. But those days have come and gone here though. Is there a lot of stuff like that out nm? I'm not sure how much you guys know, but I figured any inputut will be helpful, thanks.

mtbr member
    For info about trails open to atv use on public lands the best way to go is to contact the Forest Service and BLM district offices where you may want to ride, there's some roads in this area which are only open for highway legal vehicles, many which are open for atv's and motor bikes, and also a lot of older and unofficial routes which are being rehabbed and posted with signage and gates.

If you're into poaching trails and routes which aren't open to motorized use, you probably won't make many friends on this forum. Most people I know don't want motorized vehicles, including e-bikes, on our bike and hiking trails, that "legal-illegal" idealism won't go very far here at least on federally managed public lands.

Now I can't say the same for other areas, i.e. town/county/private lands. I see a lot of atv's and bootleg trails in places that aren't legitimately open to ride on, there's places you'll probably never have any issues and others you may be shot at. A guy in Taos (who was well known and loved here, he was a lift mechanic at TSV) was shot and killed a few years ago while on an atv, on a legal road, by an old drunkard hopped up on meds who claimed he was shooting at an elk from his truck.

Is the bike OK?
    Check out this group: https://www.nmohva.org/. There are plenty of great legal riding areas all over the state. This group is also working hard to try to bring back trails that were created by motorized vehicles but taken away partially because NM didn't have the kind of organization or funds that places like CO had when the F.S. did the new mapping. A large percentage of good single track trails are really hard to maintain without motorized vehicles. It's fairly difficult to carry a chainsaw 50 miles by foot or bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by AlienTrees View Post
    For info about trails open to atv use on public lands the best way to go is to contact the Forest Service and BLM district offices where you may want to ride, there's some roads in this area which are only open for highway legal vehicles, many which are open for atv's and motor bikes, and also a lot of older and unofficial routes which are being rehabbed and posted with signage and gates.

If you're into poaching trails and routes which aren't open to motorized use, you probably won't make many friends on this forum. Most people I know don't want motorized vehicles, including e-bikes, on our bike and hiking trails, that "legal-illegal" idealism won't go very far here at least on federally managed public lands.

Now I can't say the same for other areas, i.e. town/county/private lands. I see a lot of atv's and bootleg trails in places that aren't legitimately open to ride on, there's places you'll probably never have any issues and others you may be shot at. A guy in Taos (who was well known and loved here, he was a lift mechanic at TSV) was shot and killed a few years ago while on an atv, on a legal road, by an old drunkard hopped up on meds who claimed he was shooting at an elk from his truck.
    Not looking to poach trails. By legal-illegal trails I mean trails that while they are technically state sanctioned for atvs, people did not have issues with sharing the trails with us, bikers, hikers, hunters etc. I would never tear up purpose built mtb trails. Like I said I'm not looking for trouble with police or anybody for that matter. If I have to worry about it, it's not worth it to me.

Stucco Bucket
    if you end up in the ABQ area, the easiest access to OHV is the Puerco Area west of Rio Rancho. Like Neal said, NMOHVA is a great resource. Expect lots of dirty looks from cyclists when your on your ATV, and vice versa. Its a mad world. When I go to Moab I bring the bikes and the rzr. Depending on which day im riding, someone is always looking at me dirty haha.

Stucco Bucket
    FWIW the puerco area is HUGE and falls into your illegal/legal category. Its technically private property and some BLM, but any given day there are hundreds of riders out there.
    I wouldnt bother with tijeras.. Maybe moto, but not 4 wheels.
    Jemez has a good amount, santa fe not so much.
    2 hrs north and its the wide open west.