AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.- Mtbr.com
    High Alpine Adventure

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.

It's spring and time to give back to those who give us so much... Albuquerque Open Space (AOS) is starting their April Cleanup the weekend of March 25th and continuing every weekend through out April.

Pick a weekend and do your part to improve and repair your trails! Remember, you can't ride a trail that hasn't been built, and a trail that isn't maintained becomes an arroyo!

More info here...

Other April Events are detailed in the AOS Calendar
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Bandolero

Here, there, anywhere...

Albuquerque or Fruita?

This is Troy Rarick, Kevin Foote and John Rizzo teaching trail etiquette somewhere...

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-17212217_10208475478780510_5923080073691661621_o.jpg
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

High Alpine Adventure
    Hi Folks,

Well we’ve had some nice rain and the trails are ready for a spring cleaning!

This Saturday is the April Trails Day for the South Foothills. We hope to see many folks out to help maintain our trails! Please tell your friends and family to meet at the Top of Copper at 8:30AM to get signed in and get started.

Please consider this a great opportunity to maintain your trails…

Remember; you can’t ride a trail that hasn’t been built and a trail that isn’t maintained becomes an arroyo!

See ya on the trail,

DdG
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is there some place we can find the trail building and maintenance plans?

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Is there some place we can find the trail building and maintenance plans?
    I'd suggest you join AMBA and work with their Trail Liaison for AOS to gain insight and input into what the long range plan is for development of the AOS inventory.

As for maintenance, that's pretty straightforward, prevent erosion and repair trail tread. You'll know what's wrong when you see it, but coming up with ideas on how to prevent it does take some level of experience.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are they finally just going to give up and bring out the portable cement mixers and finalize the paving plan?

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    Are they finally just going to give up and bring out the portable cement mixers and finalize the paving plan?
    I don't think there's any plans for that, but if it's chunk you want go play around on Chamioso or Rambo... oh that's right Kerry dumbed those down! So sad!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wow. You sanitized the one decent descent in the SFH while increasing cross-trail erosion. All you're accomplishing is to encourage rogue trail builders. I, for one, will be out there with my shovel asap.

Get lost, dude.

High Alpine Adventure
    Next weekend is top of Indian School. Take your shovel out there and do something constructive rather than destructive. Just sayin...
    Dug-Da-Goat

but i want to ride now
    From what I saw of the Fooville descent this morning the answer to warimono'squestion is absolutely. Effing Christ....
    On the bright side, one good monsoonal thunderstorm and that crap will wash right off and it'll be back to rock.
    sweet sweet trails

CoolArrow
    Holy crap, just unbelievable.

Since when is smoothing out granite considered "maintenance".

That's "constructive"?

Don't be surprised when more rogue trails pop up.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post
    Next weekend is top of Indian School. Take your shovel out there and do something constructive rather than destructive. Just sayin...
    What was done to Foo Hill is neither trail maintenance or constructive. Rock removal sanitation, then fill the trail with kitty litter to smooth it out. At least part of the sanitation will be gone as soon as it rains again. I would never be a part of something like that. If you want chunk that will never go away with sanitation, come to the East Mtns. and Three bottles Advanced trail.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

High Alpine Adventure
    Rains a comin'... Grab a shovel and be constructive... rather than sit around complaining on the internet....

Open Space Spring Clean-up: Indian School/Embudo
    Annual spring clean-up of Foothills Open Space property

When: Apr 08, 2017
    08:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Where: Embudo Trailhead
    Indian School Rd. NE
    Albuquerque, NM 87112

Description: Join us for our annual "Spring Cleaning" of the Sandia Foothills. Bring the whole family! Clean-up activities include:

Trash pick-up
    Graffiti removal
    Trail maintenance
    Free morning refreshments provided! Door prizes for the most interesting trash found each Saturday!

To participate:

Arrive at 8:30am to sign in.
    Parking is limited, so please carpool!
    Bring gloves, water, sun protection, and a sack lunch.
    Dress for the weather.
    Groups of 10 or more, please call 452-5213 to register
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Oh I do plenty of actual trail maintenance. Not sanitation of trails. Like I said, I would have nothing to do with trail sanitation. But thanks any way. I'll stick to Three Bottles Advanced Trail where we don't dumb the trails down.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52 View Post
    Oh I do plenty of actual trail maintenance.
    Glad someone has adopted something... keep up the good work!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Glad someone has adopted something... keep up the good work!
    Like your the only one that does trail work. Tons of people do trail volunteer work not involved with you. We get great turnouts in the East Mtns. And we don't sanatize trails like what was done on Foo Hill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Oh I do plenty of actual trail maintenance. Not sanitation of trails. Like I said, I would have nothing to do with trail sanitation. But thanks any way. I'll stick to Three Bottles Advanced Trail where we don't dumb the trails down.
    The newer members of this forum may believe your claims, but anyone who rode 3 Bottles before it was adopted knows you're full of it. You have sanitized the **** out of 3 Bottles. You have even sanitized some of the sanitizing you did to the original trail.

Good for you, getting involved and all. I think everyone can agree 3Bs in its current sanitized state is better than losing the trail all together, but spare us the high and mighty routine. It's making you look the fool.

mtbr member
    Well if anyone here is full of it and making a fool out of yourself, it's not me. And we all know who has the HIGH and MIGHTY attitude about trail work around here. Why don't you enlighten us all where 3-Bs was sanitized. I know ALL the original trail is All there with ALL the features and rocks NOT DUG OUT. Plus we added several BLACK and DOUBLE DIAMOND lines as well. There might be a tree gone here and there or a cheater rock put in or even bypass lines that were attempted it be put in. The trees and bypass attempts were all done by moto riders, the cheater rocks were done by some rider that can't make the line or something. I remove the cheater lines and cheater rocks when ever I see them. Oh there is ONE log ride that was in BAD shape that is gone. So again, tell all of us exactly where 3-Bs has been dumbed down. And if you think 3-Bs is sanitized then what was done on Foo Hill must be PAVING. Thanks for your concern.

CoolArrow
    Say what you like about 3B's - fact is there's still features there that many riders don't hit - but it offers something to work up to; there's no justification to whats happening on in the foothills.

*edited*
    Last edited by jhazard; 04-04-2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I for 1 cant hit everything in 3 bottles but I have progressed slowly over the last year to almost all of it... and I think that's what its about. If you cant hit it the first time you see it or try it, save it for the next outing don't destroy it. I have no room to really argue as I have never made it to a trail day but I do clean up trail and or maintain it by always giving a go at clearing downed trees, stopping to pick up any trash I see and so forth. My goal this year is to make it to some trail days with my nephew but not if it involves stuff like what was done to said descent/climb in the South Foothills. Being an outsider to trail days looking in at what was done by an "Official Trail Day Work Crew" is a huge turn off and makes me not want to get involved or expose my nephew to it as he is a new rider that loves technical trail features. I will stick to trying to help the crews that did 3 bottles in future endeavors and the crews that are working in Placitas they seem to be doing a terrific job given the situation with the Sandia land swap.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also I am not really sure how the idea was spun to the volunteers that showed up to help in the South Foothills, but I would assume or would hope not everyone who showed up was on board with it? I am just wondering how that was? Did they just walk off or was their voice heard? Were they allowed to argue against it, or is the trail days ran like a prison chain gang? Do as the warden says.

High Alpine Adventure
    AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-cry-baby-cry.jpg
    Dug-Da-Goat

CoolArrow

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cry-Baby-Cry.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	1130129
    Typical response I guess... That's about what I get for trying to speak my opinion on the new Mexico forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDude View Post
    Who are you? I totally disagree. 3b's is even more challenging now than it ever was. I did send out a request to do some maintenance, though. Some of the features and lines need some TLC. I'm still waiting on a response from Kerry. Perhaps you will join us?
    Everyone is always welcome to join us at a 3-Bs or I'm sure at an AOS trail day. And this is an AOS thread. As soon as I get a trail work schedule I'll post it. I'm aware of the TLC needed. Back in action now but a health issue kept me from getting to it earlier.

High Alpine Adventure
    ...ya know, the people who would actually work rather than complain. How about we complain while we work?
    I'll only come work on 3B if I can drink beer, smoke dope and don't have to wear a hard hat! You good with that Bry?
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    While I've got your attention, what was the purpose of moving all that kitty litter down slope on the the Foo descent. The least you could have done was scoop it up from below, and maybe armor just a bit here and there. You don't think you created more exposure to erosion by pulling it down from the top?
    You Bry I'll actually converse with, because I know you care!

First of all it's called the Foo-CLIMB, because when you drop into Foo-ville you're gonna have to CLIMB back out unless you wuss out and take the road.

One of the reasons we built the SKS (South Knob Switchback) Trail was to make the Foo-CLIMB harder! When you link the SKS together with the Foo-CLIMB, well that's when the pain closet gets a whole lot bigger.

You also get extra credit for not stopping at Recovery Ridge (where the berm I built for descending is) and before they re-routed Hilldale (We didn't complain about that, even though it made it easier) the "tough nuts" (guys like Wapman & Haak) would roll right up that as well.

So now that we have established that "The CLIMB" is one of the toughest climbs, not only in the foothills, but I'd say maybe only second to "King of the Mountain" let's discuss what we're doing there.

First of all, I think we can all agree that the Foo-CLIMB for all it's greatness is a user established trail and wasn't designed/created for sustainabilty, but that's what makes it a great CLIMB. It's steeper than what would be considered ideal grade! However, because of that, it requires much more attention than the rest of the trails we maintain in Foo-ville.

Now what folks may not know is the idea of re-routing the Foo-CLIMB has been presented more than numerous times, and I have pushed back with people and Jim about doing that! What makes the Foo-CLIMB great is the exact thing you guys are crapping about. It has some really nice steep pitches through some really good granite exposures!

So why the "kitty litter"?

Well think of it this way, if you play golf you gripe about when they airate and sand the greens. You ***** about how they messed up the putting surface and you probably don't play! So, every spring you will find us out there, yes, smoothing out the Foo-CLIMB. The crappy surface lasts a week or two until it "buffs" in. And therein lies the issue.

The Freeride Gang (who shall remain nameless) like chunk and gnar-gnar... but there is a bigger community involved and some of us like steep, smooth, fast climbs. There's enough mountains for everyone so go find your conditions. The thing about the Foo-CLIMB, is it will change through the season and gets tougher into the monsoon season and through to the Fall. Come spring it's time for a refresh!

Now Bry, the section I think you are referring to is what we call the "Cobble Zone". It use to have some nice Cobbles going up it, but they have gotten eroded and ripped out. We have been trying to get re-armored Cobble rocks to take on that Granite slab approaching "The Gap", and some are beginning to hold. But it takes time to get the caliche to form and bond things in place.

Where we pulled dirt down is solid rock so it won't take out the hillside. We pulled it because it has top-soil in it and will bond well. It is at the plateau right when you begin to hit the climb, so it gives you a launch pad up onto the Cobble Climb. Again, it will setup over time but for now everyone will have to deal with it as it beds in.

Now let's all stop gripping, go pick a trail to work on and lets do some maintenance. I hear 3B's calling!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Good long explanation of the crap work on FOO CLIMB. And your comment on working requirements on 3-Bs was just ignorant. You should just stay in the FH and work on trails.

High Alpine Adventure
    Good long explanation of the crap work on FOO CLIMB. And your comment on working requirements on 3-Bs was just ignorant. You should just stay in the FH and work on trails.
    Well, one man's "crap work" is another's artistry... time to get to work Steve-o!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    I'm not sure how anyone can defend what was done on the Foo descent, but I will say that unless people get involved there may be more of it. Dagoat is gettin' old and tired. He needs a replacement.
    I am getting old and slowing down Bry, no doubt! But I don't think I'll be stepping down anytime soon as the "unofficial" Mayor of Foo-ville! Still have Yucca Mt. to build out!

As for getting involved, you get it Bry, everyone has to help out where ever they can and don't take for granted that your trails will build or maintain themselves!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sooo... whether it's a descent, or a climb, you sanitized it.

High Alpine Adventure
    AAAActually, he made it more difficult for me. One of the few times that I wasn't able to clean it this year was Sunday, due to loss of traction from the kitty litter.
    Remember, that which doesn't kill you, makes you more ornery! Goats know this!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Rode Foo-ville tonight and not sure what all the fuss is about?

I cleaned the climb for the first time out this year... had to do three circles on Recovery Ridge getting my lungs and legs back together, but didn't have any issues with grip. Dunno, I'm a pretty smooth climber so maybe that is it. I tend to sit on the point of the saddle to shorten my leg stroke and use more quads... helps ya spin a little easier! I tend to be soft on the cranks so I can sense when the rear is loading up too much, but it didn't seem bad. Rolled the second section fine but I'll admit, my conditioning isn't quite up there so I took Claudia's "DarB Line" around that upper ledge. All in all it seemed nice! Thanks Claudia for the B-Line Bailout!

For the trip back down, I laid off the brakes a bit... I knew it was loose. Been noticing that a lot lately... people skidding their turns and entries... They might be newbies or people that are ham-fisted! I try to be smooth, helps keep you in control and well, you go faster.

Only word of warning is at Recovery Ridge... that berm on the way down hasn't set up at all... so take it easy through there.

Anyway, I had fun... again. not sure what the fuss is all about!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Yeah, you are a little "soft on the cranks" alright. lol

Anywho, I rode it the day after. I'm sure there is a wee be more rock exposure at this point, since there is nothing to hold in the kitty litter, and traction is better.
    ... and you're a "MASHER"! I know this to be true!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Yeah, still 1x10 with a Horst Link. "Soft" climbs are my Nemesis.
    Damn Bry, don't mention a Horst Link on this board, that's sure to start an all out brawl!
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Grab a shovel and get on out...

THIS WEEKEND:

Open Space Spring Clean-up: Menaul

When: Apr 15, 2017

Where: Menaul Trailhead
    Menaul Blvd NE
    Albuquerque, NM 87112

Description:

Join us for our annual "Spring Cleaning" of the Sandia Foothills. Bring the whole family! Clean-up activities include:

Trash pick-up
    Graffiti removal
    Trail maintenance
    Free morning refreshments provided! Door prizes for the most interesting trash found each Saturday!

To participate:

Dress for the weather.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Sooo... whether it's a descent, or a climb, you sanitized it.
    Yep. I can't believe the argument is that it's meant to be a climb...well now it's an easier climb that has been dumbed down. Can't we keep at least a few technical features? Not everything has to be easy flow. It's the same with the reroute in the NFH. I talked to Chris, another Sattler minion, who worked on it, and the reason for the reroute was that the current trail was "unsustainable". Such a cop-out response. What can you say to that? The f**** thing is in a wash! It's where erosion is meant to happen.

I was so angry when I rode Foo last week. I thought it was hiker sabotage until I saw this forum that confirmed that Sattler and his clan of mouth-breathers struck again. How can so many other cities be accommodating toward jump/technical feature building, and we are still stuck int he lycra-wearing, narrow bars/rudder-stem-dark ages of mountain biking?

I won't lift a finger to help with trail maintenance until stupid sh** like this ends. Why would I contribute to the destruction of trails? The head of the snake needs to be chopped off and someone with a mountain bike oriented brain needs to take over. This is just re-donkeyless.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoLions View Post
    How can so many other cities be accommodating toward jump/technical feature building, and we are still stuck int he lycra-wearing, narrow bars/rudder-stem-dark ages of mountain biking?

I won't lift a finger to help with trail maintenance until stupid sh** like this ends. Why would I contribute to the destruction of trails?
    Let me paint a picture for you Two-puss... you and your baggy wearin', body armor clad bro-bois represent maybe 20% of the Mt. Bike community, another 20% are those lycra wearin' racers who do their quick 20 in about 2Hrs and don't give a crap about your gnar-gnar opinions.

The remaining 60% are beginners and intermediates... you know, the guy and his girlfriend and the dude who decides he needs to get in shape and bought a bike... they too don't give a crap about your gnar-gnar opinion!

Now here's another little fact you and your butt-buddies don't get, the foothills are "Non-Motorized, Non-wilderness Trails", they are meant to be enjoyed by a wide range of recreational users. I'll give you another idea of why your opinion really doesn't matter much... Mt. Bikers are maybe 40% of the users of the Foothiils, 50% are hikers, runners and people letting their dogs crap all over the place... the remaining 10% are horseback riders.

So you see Two-puss, you and your Bad Ass Bro-Bois only represent maybe 5% of users in the foothills and here's the other thing... with an attitude like yours and by your well expressed commitment to improvement and expansion of those Public Lands we all enjoy, perhaps having some input to what gets done and built... is closer to Zero!

So go pound sand somewhere else!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Let me paint a picture for you Two-puss... you and your baggy wearin', body armor clad bro-bois represent maybe 20% of the Mt. Bike community, another 20% are those lycra wearin' racers who do their quick 20 in about 2Hrs and don't give a crap about your gnar-gnar opinions.

The remaining 60% are beginners and intermediates... you know, the guy and his girlfriend and the dude who decides he needs to get in shape and bought a bike... they too don't give a crap about your gnar-gnar opinion!

Now here's another little fact you and your butt-buddies don't get, the foothills are "Non-Motorized, Non-wilderness Trails", they are meant to be enjoyed by a wide range of recreational users. I'll give you another idea of why your opinion really doesn't matter much... Mt. Bikers are maybe 40% of the users of the Foothiils, 50% are hikers, runners and people letting their dogs crap all over the place... the remaining 10% are horseback riders.

So you see Two-puss, you and your Bad Ass Bro-Bois only represent maybe 5% of users in the foothills and here's the other thing... your commitment to improvement and expansion of those Public Lands we all enjoy is closer to Zero!

So maybe 5% of the trail should be for those baggy wearing bro bois? Almost none is and stuff that is merely intermediate (I mean I'm an old dude who has only been riding a few years ago fit a bike to get into shape and I'm up there in terms of Strava on a the official trails in the South footies, so you know an intermediate and I think this is some serious sanitation) being turned into smooth unchanging trail.

Why can't we accommodate both? There is plenty of terrain as ask the unofficial trails attest.

We have the terrain here to be a a great biking destination right next to a city. Flow trails, hiking trails, tech trails could ask coexist, but instead, new comes like me just see old timers yelling at each other, and just say **** it. No point.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    I'd say that there is at least 3-4% if we are talking strictly South FooHills. Almost all of the stuff managed by the FS in there has technical options. Of course, they are unofficial until they get around to inventorying them. And, there are some tech options within the open space as well, you just gotta know where to look. North is just a total loss at this point, with the urban neighborhood encroachment. It's a good place to get a quick spin, but that is about all you can expect. It's a fun night ride, though.

If you get involved you can make a difference. It's a little difference, but it's a difference.
    Sure, there are technical options, and I like them and ride them, but on the official stuff, I wouldn't put that much past intermediate. There should be a significant chunk an old intermediate rider like me is unwilling to ride (and have an line around it) the South Foothills have that, but it is almost all unofficial FS land or super short bits/s single features in the open space) I do 5 or 6 trail days a year, btw. But man the community here, the online community at least, is a pretty big turn off.

It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    WE are very lucky to even have the open space. That is not just my opinion, either. I hear it all the time, even from the gnar crowd. That is not to say that we shouldn't be trying to protect our interests there, but lets be realistic. The foothills overall is a pretty fun place to ride. My kids sure do enjoy it. And so does my dog. Speaking of, what is so alluring about the first 100 yds from Emory TH? My dog goes nuts, and it always looks like it's the best sh!t of his life. lol
    Some kind of discussion group that gets around the sniping I see online here (mind you not on actual trail days) would be great. I don't think the Fooville climb\drop is a tragedy, but like the Rambo climb in the East mountains, I'm glad I cleaned it before the change. The rambo climb was deteriorating badly. I don't think the Fooville climb was. At least not in the same way, so I guess I don't see the point.

What we have here is very good. It could be much worse. It could also be better. If you're​ ever in Olympia Washington check out what friends of Capitol Forest have achieved. Super tech to flow of the same trails using a,b,c lines.

Here it is like everyone thinks everyone (horses, pedestrians, bikers,) should use the exact same line rather than braid it for use and skill level. And this is in an area far less sensitive to erosion and easier to build in many ways than the northwest.

Again just my ignorant two cents as a relative newb.

It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    I've ridden in Washington, and yes the are quite a bit more progressive. They also have a lot of the resources, both human and landscape, that make much of that possible. I disagree. The FooHills is constantly eroding. Otero is pretty bad as well. And since I've ridden in both places, I know that the traffic is considerably less here, so there is that.

If we are going to try to be more progressive, it's going to take a lot of planning and ingenuity that is for sure.

PS: FS iis starting the Armijo project soon, so that would be a good place to start if you are looking to get your feet dirty. Also, Steve is trying to work something out with Kerry to finish 3b's so stay tuned for that. Hopefully, Steve will post something up. I think he's going to need all the help he can get!
    Ah, this is where it would be good to get everyone together over a beer and try and get some understanding. There are major studio issues in the NW, where soil runoff has huge impacts on streams and where water effects on the trails are enormous. Here. It can be unsightly, but actual consequences seen to be be lower. I mean the whole environment is erosional, so really it is more about how it effects usage. I mean recovery time are obviously much longer, but once the your down to bedrock, it is about ease as much as anything else. In a wash with 10 foot erosion channels to are all natural it seems weird to worry about the little channel bikes are making.

Anyway maybe a first step is beers to hash things out. Find out where we are and what we want.

I'm there for 3bs. What's armijo?

It's just a flesh wound!

Fragilie
    I wear baggies and knee pads, does that solidify my "bro boi" status?
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ...and what, pray tell, is wrong with one of the best trails in the area (Armijo) in it's present state?

mtbr member

So you see Two-puss, you and your Bad Ass Bro-Bois only represent maybe 5% of users in the foothills and here's the other thing... with an attitude like yours and by your well expressed commitment to improvement and expansion of those Public Lands we all enjoy, perhaps having some input to what gets done and built... is closer to Zero!

Somebody forgot their Metamucil and Geritol and is grumpy from constipation. You had to take the low road and decided to reach deep into your medulla oblongata and let your aggression come out. Or maybe that is your typical "intelligent" response. You sound like an old man screaming, "Get off my lawn with your baggy shorts...smokin' them tweeds". Adorable.

Well, since we're here, DaDummy, I'll tell you how out of touch with reality you are. Nearly half of your statistics are made up...80% of the time (that's a joke, old man). What you have stated about the trails accommodating a MAJORITY of riders is really a reflection of how you feel the majority of riders in your small circle want the trails to be. My wife rode that trail as a beginner, so if you have a problem cleaning it ascending or descending, the problem is not with the trail. It's really funny that you think taking the road out of Foo is lame, but you basically dumbed the trail into a smooth road to make it easier for YOU to clean.

The big question here really is, why can't there be just a few difficult features for people to work up to? This part of Foo was one of them, and now there is one less thing for riders to work up to. I didn't mind hiking over those rocks either, and I think we can assume that other hikers didn't either. I wish you could just admit that you, nor Sattler really have any desire or plans to build trails/features for different skill levels, thus allowing riders to advance their skill set. Is it a liability issue? Oh, wait, probably a sustainability issue...that's the common one.

Instead of making up statistics to justify your actions, that clearly so many people on this thread take issue with, why don't you be a bit more open-minded since you are in a position to make a difference. I doubt any of this or what others have to say will sink in.

I've seen you on the trail a few times, and much like your curmudgeonly old man smell, your reputation precedes you. If you feel the urge to make any more homophobic, redneck, beer-swilling insults (i.e., butt-buddies), unsheathe that mouth from behind the keyboard and talk to us face-to-face. It's much harder to be an a$$hole in person.

DaDaDaDaDone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I wear baggies and knee pads, does that solidify my "bro boi" status?
    Apparently we're all lumped into the category of mountain bike miscreants. The Mayor is not pleased...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IPunchCholla View Post
    Ah, this is where it would be good to get everyone together over a beer and try and get some understanding. There are major studio issues in the NW, where soil runoff has huge impacts on streams and where water effects on the trails are enormous. Here. It can be unsightly, but actual consequences seen to be be lower. I mean the whole environment is erosional, so really it is more about how it effects usage. I mean recovery time are obviously much longer, but once the your down to bedrock, it is about ease as much as anything else. In a wash with 10 foot erosion channels to are all natural it seems weird to worry about the little channel bikes are making.

Anyway maybe a first step is beers to hash things out. Find out where we are and what we want.

I'm there for 3bs. What's armijo?
    I'm always up for beer. I don't know if other bike communities have such a divide within their ridership, but I'm amazed out how bad it is in Abq...and I'm helping perpetuate it now in my "discussion" with Dougie. For a long time, I ignored all of the negativity and just went about my ride; but I think we're reaching a point where the people in control of trail work pretend to accommodate trails for the evolution of mountain biking, but in reality they are uncompromising and downright insulting. Give someone a little bit of power, and they're Borat, King of the Castle.

Armijo is a great trail that is a great finish from the top of sandia down to Faulty. Wouldn't mind showing you.

High Alpine Adventure
    You sound like an old man screaming, "Get off my lawn with your baggy shorts...smokin' them tweeds". Adorable.
    God Two-puss I hate repeating myself... go cry to your momma who might actually care!

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-cry-baby-cry.jpg
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    God Two-puss I hate repeating myself... go cry to your momma who might actually care!

Name:	Cry-Baby-Cry.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	1131822
    AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-griefer.jpg

High Alpine Adventure

Name:	Griefer.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	1131824
    You left your laptop camera on Two-puss... you need one of those blockers!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    You left your laptop camera on Two-puss... you need one of those blockers!
    Shhhhhhh. Stop typing. People are starting to believe that you actually are retarded.

-The Internet

RCC
    Bandolero
    Shhhhhhh. Stop typing. People are starting to believe that you actually are retarded.

-The Internet
    Starting???
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

-The Internet
    I don't really know who this dysfunctional "DaGoat" character is, but simply based on his forum personality, and a few others, I will not get involved with any trail maintenance around ABQ.

mtbr member
    What a shit show.

I've got only one thing to add and that is

This is why there are riders in the ABQ area that feel like AMBA does not represent them. This is also why you have such low turn outs for your trail days.

I wonder why Steve has better luck at getting people to turn up for the 3B work days....
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    I would also suggest that someone organize a way to adopt sections of trail that they would like to preserve. Just my .02.
    This is actually a pretty damn good idea... wonder if those Cool Arrows would take this on...
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    The last showings on 3b's have been pretty poor..

Another, FYI. That core group of people, who happen to get their newsletter from AMBA, as far as I know will be dedicated to the Armijo Project. There are no scheduled trail days for 3b's as of now, and there is a lot to do. There is about a 1/4 mile of trail left to manicure, and a WHOLE LOT of touching up to do...including general maintenance on the Advanced section.

I say if you guys want to make a difference, then you really should get with Stevie and let him know your commitments. The FS is very skeptical of handing over the keys without having some hard commitments. I would also suggest that someone organize a way to adopt sections of trail that they would like to preserve. Just my .02.
    Typically the last trail work days of the season and especially the Sundays at the end of the season the numbers get smaller. Early season, not so. As far as no trail days for 3-Bs and all work planned For Armijo has changed. I met with Kerry today and the first two trail days will be finishing the extension. That will be May 13th and 14th. Also working on me being able to lead some 3-Bs maintenance and enhancement work sessions. As I get information I will post on a 3-Bs thread. But for now we will need ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET on the 13th and 14th to push the trail through to the Gnasty- Blue Ribbon junction.

High Alpine Adventure
    Final chance to grab a shovel, or a McCleod, and do something constructive... besides whining here on MTBR!

Open Space Spring Clean-up: Piedra Lisa

When: Apr 22, 2017

Where: Piedra Lisa
    South of Candelaria on Camino de la Sierra
    Albuquerque, NM 87111

Description: Join us for our annual "Spring Cleaning" of the Sandia Foothills. Bring the whole family! Clean-up activities include:

Trash pick-up
    Graffiti removal
    Trail maintenance

To participate:

Dress for the weather.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Final chance to grab a shovel, or a McCleod, and do something constructive... besides whining here on MTBR!
    I don't whine here on NMMTBR. Myself, and group of friends were turned off and stopped reading past what was quoted above. Those are comments that push people away instead of garnering support. Be a uniter, not a devider. These derisive comments just do not do anyone's cause good. It just antagonizes people starting a shit storm. Try a different approach....

High Alpine Adventure
    AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-maxresdefault.jpg
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure
    Name:  a772c7492260c713f9d31a210bd488b0.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  31.3 KB
    Dug-Da-Goat

CoolArrow
    Ok then...

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-563607_10151423815772599_1526949697_n.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-1491315_10151863501434227_1776153944_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-1522516_10151870536069227_545016211_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-17880301_10154642467144227_5895415425799439802_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-1889086_10152630912754227_6547866932580942218_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-11057497_10152771877649227_4356663429501414260_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-10960412_10152771877339227_7264778282700554380_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-13415671_10153729628094227_390252803671684486_o.jpg
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

CoolArrow
    AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-999467_10151636270929227_1862492487_n.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-1294391_10151630709194227_178467861_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-10873620_10152630913864227_9146134386368389103_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-883253_10151372163689227_235522010_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-77979_10151354684684227_429577078_o.jpg

AOS April Trails Days starts March 25th.-1441468_10151813046554227_1188872025_n.jpg
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You sanitized the one decent descent in the SFH while increasing cross-trail erosion.
    Hmmm, I'm certainly no expert but any trail plans or maintenance on trails usually emphasize making water on trails flow cross-trail, NOT along the trail. If cross-trail flow causes erosion at the outflow, I think there are ways of dealing with it.

I rode the trail a few days ago for the first time this spring and I really didn't notice any changes on the descent.