Any snow worth riding in the Santa Fe area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any snow worth riding in the Santa Fe area?

Hey guys, I've brought my fat bike up from Houston and I'm going to be in ABQ for the next week or two, is there any snow riding to be had in the Santa Fe area?

Thanks,
    Worldskipper
    Trust me, I have a beard and gray hair.

Bandolero
    You can ride from Aspen Vista, which is almost near the top of the ski resort road. It's the access road to the communications towers at the top of the mountain.

Coming from Houston it should be an invigorating ride, starting at about 9k'
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Oh that would be cool! Can I get up there with my car or do I need a truck/suv? 9K, I grew up in ABQ but I've turned into a flat lander. The elevation at my house is 121ft! The air is already pretty thin for me!

Any thing I need to bring in terms of clothing? Is it going to be like spring skiing?

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    Oh that would be cool! Can I get up there with my car or do I need a truck/suv? 9K, I grew up in ABQ but I've turned into a flat lander. The elevation at my house is 121ft! The air is already pretty thin for me!

Any thing I need to bring in terms of clothing? Is it going to be like spring skiing?
    It's NM at 9/10k feet. You might be able to get up in a RWD convertible, you might need a lifted 4WD. They also run a shuttle up there and they might let you bring a bike on it. That would also give you the downhill run through the Winsor trail or the road if it's not muddy. You could get 50 degree temps or it could dump a foot of snow and be 10 degrees. Bring layers
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Not sure on conditions at the moment, but you can usually ride Big Tesuque and upper Winsor as well and make a loop. If hikers and skiers have packed it, it's a helluva lot of fun on a fat bike.

Honestly though, if I brought a fat bike here, I'ld also consider a ride at Galisteo since the weather has warmed up. Those trails are oddly fun on a FB.

mtbr member
    Well I just in Santa Fe at Lunchtime( for work) and saw a guy heading up to the ski area with a white salsa fat bike (with a Bluto) and I think a Spesh. So there must be some riding to be had up there!

mtbr member
    Ha! Close... that was a white Rocky Mountain Blizzard and my Trek Fuel (dark purple, red?). We did Chamisa/Sidewinder loop. It's 98% gtg and was great. He was riding the Fat Bike while his shocks get serviced right now. Too funny you saw us!