Any Singletrack here???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any Singletrack here???

I am currently in central Texas and had a crazy idea of trying to find an inexpensive home in NE New Mexico to get away from the crazy Texas heat through the summers as well as just to have a get away for some much needed down time to recharge throughout the year.

I have found a few places that may fit the bill but I was wondering if there were any trails close by an area I have been looking. I have been looking off 434, North of Mora, around the Guadalupita area. That puts me at about a 700 mile drive, gets me into some mountains with forest as far as I can tell. I know Angel Fire is 18 miles to the North but is there anything to the West of Guadalupita trail wise? Of course optimally if you could ride out of your drive and pedal to the trails, dream come true!

Any insights on close by trails or maybe some spots I should maybe expand my search into, greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Try the Tierra Amarilla area, lots of empty singletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    Try the Tierra Amarilla area, lots of empty singletrack.
    Don't believe this guy. He's trying to get you killed. Probably thinks it's funny. New Mexico has a pretty unabashed hatred for Texans, particularly transplants. You're probably better off looking in a different state. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InfectedSore View Post
    Don't believe this guy. He's trying to get you killed. Probably thinks it's funny. New Mexico has a pretty unabashed hatred for Texans, particularly transplants. You're probably better off looking in a different state. Seriously.
    Twas a joke

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    As much as I too wanted to joke about hating texans, nobody is going to hurt your because you are from Texas. At least not over all the other reasons somebody from here would hurt somebody else. Mostly to take your stuff. And they will usually wait till you leave.

Also, I dunno why you wouldn't just do Angelfire because there is riding from your door. Of course, we don't like rich transplants driving the cost of **** up, so.... Yeah, chupacabras will eat your face.

Stucco Bucket
    Angel Fire wouldnt exist without Texans.. It would be a bait and tackle store with a gas station

mtbr member
    Thank you guys, very much appreciated. I did not know there was that kind of animosity going on. We have upwards of 100 persons PER DAY moving in here yet somehow we deal with it.

All good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b00001 View Post
    I am currently in central Texas and had a crazy idea of trying to find an inexpensive home in NE New Mexico to get away from the crazy Texas heat through the summers as well as just to have a get away for some much needed down time to recharge throughout the year.

I have found a few places that may fit the bill but I was wondering if there were any trails close by an area I have been looking. I have been looking off 434, North of Mora, around the Guadalupita area. That puts me at about a 700 mile drive, gets me into some mountains with forest as far as I can tell. I know Angel Fire is 18 miles to the North but is there anything to the West of Guadalupita trail wise? Of course optimally if you could ride out of your drive and pedal to the trails, dream come true!

Any insights on close by trails or maybe some spots I should maybe expand my search into, greatly appreciated!
    If you're looking for a town with lots of singletrack outside your door you should check out Los Alamos. There's a saying here among locals that you're never more than a couple hundred yards from the nearest singletrack no matter where you are in town.

Jump on Google maps and have a look at the terrain, then on Trail Forks to see the trails. Los Alamos is located on top of a bunch of finger mesas with canyons in between. Pretty much every canyon has at least one trail in it if not more, and same with the tops of the mesas. We also have Pajarito Mountain Ski area with lift access for the DH crowd, and just over the ridge from that is Valles Caldera Preserve which also has tons of riding. Depending on where you want to go there's a singletrack or mostly singletrack route to just about everywhere.

If you decide to take a trip out here to check it out hit me up and I'll be happy to show you some of our local dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieSmirckx View Post
    If you're looking for a town with lots of singletrack outside your door you should check out Los Alamos. There's a saying here among locals that you're never more than a couple hundred yards from the nearest singletrack no matter where you are in town.

Jump on Google maps and have a look at the terrain, then on Trail Forks to see the trails. Los Alamos is located on top of a bunch of finger mesas with canyons in between. Pretty much every canyon has at least one trail in it if not more, and same with the tops of the mesas. We also have Pajarito Mountain Ski area with lift access for the DH crowd, and just over the ridge from that is Valles Caldera Preserve which also has tons of riding. Depending on where you want to go there's a singletrack or mostly singletrack route to just about everywhere.

If you decide to take a trip out here to check it out hit me up and I'll be happy to show you some of our local dirt.
    Thank you very much! I will look into that area.

mtbr member
    Two bedroom condos in Red River starting in the 60s. Rental pool it when you don't use it and it won't cost you much at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Perpetually Intermediate
    A lot of the area around Mora, and all of NE New Mexico, is in private hands, so your access would be limited. If you don't mind cheesy, and lots of fellow Texans, Red River (as already mentioned) is a relatively affordable option with some good riding.

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009
    Take a gander at Cedar Crest. We would love your money here. New Mexico is littered with singletrack, I'm partial to this area. I've lived and ridden in the rest of the state, and chose to live, school and operate here because of the trails and number of riding days. Housing prices and cost of living is pretty darn resonible.