Angel Fire hotels or lodge?- Mtbr.com
    MountainGoat aka OldGoat

Angel Fire hotels or lodge?

Do you guys have a recommendation on where to stay at Angel Fire? I'm going for the first time with four friends and need a place to stay that is close to the lifts. Also do you have any places that have good food?

My group has done Whistler for 6 years in a row and we want to try Angel Fire this year. As you know, Whistler is very easy to navigate once you're in the village. Food, beer, and entertainment are all within a 10 minute walk. I don't think Angel Fire is like that but any advice on where to stay and things to do would be greatly appreciated.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Staying at the resort itself is fine. Big, big rooms, dont mind the bikes, and solid rates: https://www.angelfireresort.com/

Compared to Whistler, this is like going from a city to a town of 150. Angel Fire itself is small and remote, so it will be far from the ameneties you describe. There's a bar, some pizza places, grocery store and a new brewery. That's about it. Taos is going to be your next biggest town and that's a solid 30 minute drive.

How long are you planning on visiting and do you ride other than park?

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Thanks KlainMan. We travel on 7/5 and then ride three days of park on 7/6,7,8 And three of us are driving from CA and will have our own bikes. Two guys will rent DH bikes.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    I might see you guys there, plan to be in Red River for the month of July. We spend about half our summer up there each year.

Renting bikes will be easy, they have everything you need in the shop at the mountain. There are some good trails to ride in the area too, if you get bored with gravity.

If you go to Taos, I highly suggest Taos Diner, we have enjoyed the food at both Taos Diner 1 and 2. Can't beat what they offer for the money. Be sure to pick something with green chiles on top, if you like spicy things.

There are plenty of places to rent within easy distance of the mountain, houses, condos, or just at the resort.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Stucco Bucket
    Stay on the mountain. The nightlife isnt to be had anywhere near AF.
    Thney have some stay and ride packages if your days fall on the weekdays.

mtbr member
    I was curious since doing a South Boundary ride would probably be worth it if you're into trail/xc riding.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Nope!!! This is the DH boys trip. We do a Enduro trip every year as well.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Eat breakfast at the bakery, out of the village. The entire staff is amazing and the food is great. Everyplace else SUCKS for breakfast, but the bakery is good, downhome breakfast - and cheaper than the overpriced crappy options elsewhere.
    If you aren't picky and appreciate a place that will leave a key in an envelope at the front door on the honor system, stay at the Elk Horn Lodge. Cheaper than the resort & I've even negotiated my price, but it's an extemely country hotel, with no-frills accomodations. They even allow dogs. If you're picky, go to the resort or do a VRBO/Air B&B.
    The new brewery is pretty good.
    I'm advising you as someone who has spent more days/nights in AF than anyone else who will post here (with the exception of a local). Enjoy the riding and the beauty. AF is amazing for many reasons, such as the riding, good friendly people, natural beauty, but not for food/lodging/entertainment. That's part of the beauty of this tucked-away place.

Stucco Bucket
    TJ pretty much said it all.
    The brewery is pretty good, and the dinner is pretty good as well.
    The spaghetti and hot dog bun garlic toast that TJ spins up is by far the best meal out there

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Delnorte,
    I will look into the Elk Horn.

Thanks guys!!!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've had good meals at Elements Bar and Grill at the country club. Santa Fe Pale Ale with their burger is not a bad combo. Pretty nice atmosphere and service has been good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you want use of a hottub you have only 1 choice as it's in the lodge. However if you book your condo through angel fire instead of vrbo then you get access to their hottub. Almost no condos have a hottub due to some state law requiring rental hottubs to be drained after every rental. Check the condo map and pick a place within the 1st block from the lift as its uphill from everywhere to the lift except the 1st set of condos that are lookers left from the lift, and those are uphill back to your condo at the end of the day.

Sunset grill up by the lifts isnt too bad for breakfast/lunch or apres, but no matter where you go for dinner, plan to go early. They roll the sidewalks up around 9. no real bar scene at all. we usually hit the grocery store there and make food for most meals and drink at the pad and entertain ourselves. There's a couple nice house rentals as well with great decks, firepits, etc for chilling at home, but only book through the resort if you want hottub/pool access.

The trails however are the best - 2nd only to Whistler. I say its like all the trails in the CO resorts in 1 place. totally worth the "not ready for prime time" village.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Great info. Thanks BikeGeek
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I wouldn't stay at the lodge with a group. You can get a condo for about the same price. Probably cheaper since you will be splitting the cost. You can book condos through the Angel Fire Resort and get package deals. Best ones to stay at for easy access to the mountain are The Lifts Condos and Ski Run Condos. Most other condos in town are below the lift and not a fun Climb on a DH bike.
    As far as food..... Angel Fired pizza is pretty good. Sunset grill is decent. The country club at the golf course has best food in town but very pricey. For breakfast, as already said, The Bakery is the best. It is along the highway right by Trialhead ski and bike shop. The breakfast burrito at the cafť in the lodge is pretty good too.
    Awesome bike park but very different from Whistler. After 8pm, the whole town is dead.

bike rider
    Check out VRBO and stay at The Lifts condos. We have a big group of Houston boys staying there over Memorial Day. If you book through the Resort you will pay at least double if not triple.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    Check out VRBO and stay at The Lifts condos. We have a big group of Houston boys staying there over Memorial Day. If you book through the Resort you will pay at least double if not triple.
    Double or triple is probably not exactly accurate. But yes VRBO is worth looking at.
    Standard summer resort rates:
    1 bedroom $139
    2 bedroom $189
    3 bedroom $239
    They often offer discounts on these prices as well as package deals for stay and ride. You also have staff on call 24hours a day if you need anything.

See ya next weekend Matt. Cant wait to shred.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Consider Air BnB out of Taos, too. I got all of memorial day weekend for 65 a night.

Kick Start My Heart
    Wow guys keep it coming! Got my feet wet last year, and I'll be back. (We were going to stay over this weekend, but with 50% snow and 45* we had to reschedule).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bike rider
    Our Lifts E9 condo is gonna be $960 for 4 nights (booked through resort) and our friends are in Lifts E7 for $374 for 4 nights (booked VRBO) so I wasn't too far off. See you Thursday around lunch. Crossing my fingers for Supreme to be open from the top down.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!