AMBA: Open Mic TOMORROW- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Feb 2017

AMBA: Open Mic TOMORROW

There will be an open meeting for our local IMBA chapter tomorrow night. Maybe we can sort out a rough plan for motivating them to support some advanced trails in the South FooHills?

Time: 6:30pm. Wednesday, March 3rd

Place: Trek Store on Menaul

What? There's more?
    Bring your checkbook and join or renew. Money talks.

banned
    Feb 2017
    Right!

Thank you for your 2 cents, bro.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    How'd it go?

What? There's more?
    Went OK. AMBA has a lot going on: grant writing, volunteer coordination, fund raising, outreach, group rides. But, I think if a few like-minded members wanted to design/build some tech stuff in the South Foothills under the banner of AMBA, in coordination with AOS and USDA, I don't think there's going to be any resistance.
    It's an organization that reflects its members. If we want it to reflect us, we need to join.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The food from the Greenside was awesome!

tb is right. AMBA has folks that are interested in skills training, raising money and volunteers for trail building, social rides, etc. They lack someone that is willing to take point on building a strong relationship with the land managers. Its not them its us - you make up the club. But it has to be more than just joining it has to participating and leading. What's his name, starts with a B, and Tom Mayer, just got the SRD Ranger, Ms. Powell, to agree to add some trails that they've been scouting together when the FS starts the Cedro project this summer. Proving that it is possible to influence the local managers some times.

Stucco Bucket
    Well look at who their front men are. So polarizing.
    Then you compare what Steve did up in Otero.
    The artist formerly known as FOO didnt want anything to do with multi use trails or technical features. So to blame us as riders isnt telling the whole story. I was open to AMBA until I heard their agenda at a meeting at sports systems. Its the same FOO group with the same agenda.
    Tim in placitas and Steve are doing a way better job and they arent looking for a pat on the head.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Sports systems was over a year ago - things change.

Steve is doing an awsome job in Otero - I wish we had more Steves - I hope you go up their and help him.
    Tim is doing an awsome job in Placitas - AMBA helped him get money for new tools - I hpe you helped him wear them out.
    B and Tom did an awesome job getting a new trail included in the Cedro project.
    And one of the bike shop race teams is doing an awesome job supporting Open Space in the N. footies (apologies for not remembering which shop)
    Friends of the Sandia Mountains probably does more trail work than anybody

No one wants a pat on the head in AMBA... the only agenda is to make the world a better place which includes technical trails. I for one had a blast in Otero before the apocalypse and still enjoy 3bs. It would be sweet to have something like Otero and have it legal. I recommend you start working on it by contacting Open Space, FS and BLM, or private land owner and see if that project might fit in with their plans. If the club can help let us know.

What? There's more?
    This is a DIY sport. Griping about an organization not doing something for you is silly. Join and do it for yourself.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    This is a DIY sport. Griping about an organization not doing something for you is silly. Join and do it for yourself.
    Yep TB good point.... what I've been saying for years!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    May 2013
    OR, don't join and do it for yourself...

Stucco Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    OR, don't join and do it for yourself...
    what Ive been saying for years too. and works way better

What? There's more?
    Yes, and that has worked, e.g. Steve and 3B. So, when are you going to get started on the South Foothills?

Stucco Bucket
    Who says I havent already?

Its also worked with Tim in placitas.
    Im super glad AMBA and IMBA helped Tim get tools. AMBA, FOO, or IMBA had zero help or influence on 3Bs. When the call came out from Kerry to finally tape this thing, it was the Bandos and other like minded riders who showed up.
    An the reason more didnt show up later in the build is personal issues with one of the "otero heroes". This guy nearly got a lifetime ban from the National Forest and almost had Kerry ready to scrap all the work up there.
    I dont need to be guilted into giving AMBA $20 and my weekends.

What? There's more?
    So, did you have a point, or is this thread just a target of opportunity to b1tch. AMBA isn't IMBA and it isn't standing in your way. You're a strong individualist; go tell Jim and Kerry what you want to do and when. I'll show up with a pick and shovel. I don't give two craps who starts a project. I just want some trails. I think there might be some value in 150 people organized toward a common goal, but you could be right. Let's dig.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 02-18-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Puritan asses

Stucco Bucket
    I guess if I had any point it would be that riders who arent in AMBA can still be a productive trail advocate. And stuff gets done without them. Always has.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The Forest Service is beginning work on the La Madera project a.k.a the Sandias. Similiar to the Cedro Project.

Right now would be a good time to start working on providing mtb input to this project because:

We've got 4 years to work with.
    The FS has shown they are open to input.
    You can still ride anywhere you want to in the Forest.
    The FS is still up in the air as to a decision on the downhill trails.
    It gives us time to determine how trail development supports the FS goals for the project.
    It gives us time to work around Archeology sites and other ology considerations.
    It gives us time to explore, map and prioritize trails, trail re-routes and new trail development.

Similiar to open source software - we could try doing it on MTBProject.

I don't care who does it but now is the time to start.

And since its all volunteer it would be great to find a way to work together.