Albuquerque and ????, June trip with non riding spouse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Albuquerque and ????, June trip with non riding spouse

Next June, I値l be in Albuquerque for a couple of road races. I壇 like to stay in New Mexico for about a week after and I知 trying to figure out where.

Im an intermediate woman rider, prefers flow over techy stuff. Two years experience mtb-ing, frequently ride solo and am comfortable with it. I have good fitness with less skills. Have done a lot of mountain bike travel, so I致e ridden a variety of places. Big Bear, Mammoth and Tahoe in CA. Park City, St George, Thunder Mtn, and Moab in Utah. Also Sedona. Trails that are about my speed: Navajo Rocks in Moab, Wire Mesa in St George area, Tahoe Rim Trail from Mt Rose Hwy to Marlette Lake, Chuckwagon in Sedona. From a fitness perspective, I壇 probably be happy with 2-3 10ish mile rides, and 2-3 15-25 mile rides.

My husband and I will be driving from LA and our small dog will be with us. My husband does not ride but will shuttle me places and provide ride support if necessary.

So I知 looking for a great spot to spend a week- half days mountain biking, half day doing dog friendly tourist stuff. I have been assuming Santa Fe fits the bill perfectly, but was wondering if folks here have other reccs.

If the consensus is Santa Fe, which part of town should I stay in? Riding from the condo or hotel would be nice, but if I知 going to have to drive to most trailheads anyway (this is more of a hassle for husband, since we値l only have one vehicle and it means he has to be involved in *every* ride, rather than sleeping in) should we just stay in old town?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Plenty of great places to stay in SFe, especially with relative ease of access to the trails. In June, we'd typically be riding higher up in the mountains, so the Dale Ball Trails (foothills in town) would be great morning/evening rides that fit your descriptions as well as some of the upper mountain stuff like Winsor, Borrego, Chamisa. If you want to drive and check out different stuff, Los Alamos has equally good riding and is about 40 minutes away and could easily eat up a day riding and checking out the history up there. Likewise riding Otero/foothills/Sandias in ABQ. SFe as your homebase would put most major Northern NM ride centers within a 1.5hr radius.

Places to stay depends on your budget and expectations. The Hilton, for example, is downtown and is bike friendly, same with the Old Santa Fe Inn.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    So, you have a ton of options, it hard to know where to even start. My personal recommendation is split your time between Albuquerque and santa fe. There is so much to ride and do in both places and they are both very different from each other. It only takes like 50mins to get between them. As far as riding goes I'm more familiar with Albuquerque trails, placitas is great , the north and south foothills are close to town and solid, white mesa is a bit of a ride out of town but worth it. And the best we have to offer imo is tijeras. You can do 20 miles out there by accident. And the trails have a little bit of everything. Disclaimer, June can get very hot here, it's not unusual to see 100 degree days, get out nice and early and beat the heat. Also be prepared to deal with the effects of the altitude here, drink WAY more water than you think you need or you will be hurting. And if you find that the altitude in Albuquerque is rough for you I wouldn't bother going to Santa Fe, at least not to ride, its even higher there. Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Plenty of great places to stay in SFe, especially with relative ease of access to the trails. In June, we'd typically be riding higher up in the mountains, so the Dale Ball Trails (foothills in town) would be great morning/evening rides that fit your descriptions as well as some of the upper mountain stuff like Winsor, Borrego, Chamisa. If you want to drive and check out different stuff, Los Alamos has equally good riding and is about 40 minutes away and could easily eat up a day riding and checking out the history up there. Likewise riding Otero/foothills/Sandias in ABQ. SFe as your homebase would put most major Northern NM ride centers within a 1.5hr radius.

Places to stay depends on your budget and expectations. The Hilton, for example, is downtown and is bike friendly, same with the Old Santa Fe Inn.
    Sorry I wasn稚 asking about specific places to stay but instead which part of town.

We may have some cycling friends joining and were thinking of renting a house. I found a good one that is essentially on the Dale Ball trail system. My inclination was to stay in that vicinity and drive into town to eat, shop, walk around etc. Wondering if that痴 my best bet vs staying in Old Town. Really I guess the question is: is driving in to town, parking etc more of a hassle than staying in town and driving to the trails?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    If you stay in santa fe plaza at least you have guaranteed parking, I would say if you plan on spending a lot of time when you're not riding in the plaza area, it would be better to stay there. Its easier to leave to go to the trailhead than it is to come to the plaza and park.