2 Texans hitting NM Santa Fe, ABQ, and Angel Fire area June 2018.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2 Texans hitting NM Santa Fe, ABQ, and Angel Fire area June 2018.

We're leaving Centex and staying in Santa Fe, NM in June 2018. Nothing planned except mountain biking.

Day 0 - after our drive were hitting Golden Open Space then settling in to Santa Fe

Day 1 - Riding the Dale Ball trails and then after shuttling Winsor trail.

Day 2 - Hitting White Ridge/Mesa then over to ABQ. In ABQ I can't decide between this Tunnel, Otero, West figure 8 ride (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/285392)

or

North Foothills, Elena Gallegos main loop (https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/171088)

Which would you do?

Day 3 - Were going to Angel Fire and doing the whole bike park thing as this will be our first Downhill park experience.

Day 4 - hopefully a quick run around the La Tierra trails and then we're leaving.

Let us know what's up with our itinerary please!
    Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Day 3 will be a lot of fun. I'm getting a season pass to ride there next summer. Loved it this past summer. We go for some of June and all of July.

If you enjoy a cold beer, there is a great hole in the wall brewery just outside of Eagles Nest.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Day 2 - doing White Mesa and Tunnel/Otero/West Ridge in one day will make for a very long day (including travel time), but it's doable. Definitely plan on Tunnel/Otero/West Ridge vs. the foothills, conditions permitting.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    For June, White Mesa will probably be stupid hot.

mtbr member
    How hot? We are from Texas... Hopefully we'll be hitting it pretty early too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ Clydesdale View Post
    Day 2 - doing White Mesa and Tunnel/Otero/West Ridge in one day will make for a very long day (including travel time), but it's doable. Definitely plan on Tunnel/Otero/West Ridge vs. the foothills, conditions permitting.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Our foothills are a great little network, especially when you need something fast or if the condition aren't good in the mountains, but Tunnel/Otero is far superior.

Is Golden Open Space really worth a destination stop on a trip like this?

Since you guys are driving all this way, seems to me like taking advantage of more of the high country if available would be better. There are XC loops around Angelfire and if you are coming in the later part of June the South Boundary trail might be an option which is one of the best trails in New Mexico. When it comes closer to go time I would start calling the shuttle company about conditions. But man, if I had a choice I would scrap La Tierra, Dale Ball, Golden Open space, ABQ Foothills, all for a run at South Boundary.

I would Prioritize AF DH, SBT, Otero, and White Mesa, if possible.

Stucco Bucket
    Id agree with all of the above.
    June is a little late for White Mesa unless you start pedaling around 7.
    June is high country season. If youre going to shuttle Winsor, you may want to consider Rio En Medio (REM) if youre into gnarly techy .

You can definitely make a full day out of starting from Tunnel.
    Screw the Golden open space though. sandy, and short.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    When you're in the Taos / Angelfire area, consider doing the south boundary trail (you can get a shuttle from Taos: Shuttle/Bike Tours). Angelfire is a blast. Hopefully they'll have some of the new trails they're building open by then

If you do La Tierra, you gotta do the flow trail that's hidden in the middle (it's not well advertised). It's really easy to incorporate into riding all over La Tierra: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/la-tierra-6--13/
    His: 2017 Commencal Meta AM V4.2 Ride. With Zee brakes :)
    Hers: 2018 Commencal Meta TR V4.2. Zee, too! :D

mtbr member
    In Santa Fe, Dale Ball South in the morning (you can ride from town) and then catch the Blue Bus up to the ski basin and ride back into town via Winsor>Chamisa>Sidewinder>Dale Ball.

La Tierra will be a dust bowl and hot... I'd stay in the high country.

ABQ, definitely the Otero area finishing with Birdhouse. Taos/AF, South Boundary is pretty much a must do, IMO.

mtbr member
    Alright guys thanks a lot. Looks like we're definitely going to try and throw in SBT. In really b wanted to White ridge the scenery on dragons back looks so sick

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    White Mesa I imagine will be in the 90's, so if that is not super hot for you rock on. It's not the best or most interesting trail ever, but it is certainly good and very different in an "out of this world" sort of way. If you can make it work, it's neat. Do NOT go there after any significant precip, the silty clay stuff is brutal. You can make a bigger ride by doing the outer loop(clockwise for dragons back fun), then do a inner loop by dropping down the center spine then climb back out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    Alright guys thanks a lot. Looks like we're definitely going to try and throw in SBT. In really b wanted to White ridge the scenery on dragons back looks so sick

And here I thought a Texan would want to see proper mountains over desert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    And here I thought a Texan would want to see proper mountains over desert
    Lol I need to see it aaallllll!

Thanks y'all

Fragilie
    While in Angel fire, I'd also throw in the Lost lake loop outside of red River, best bang for buck ride in the area imo.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Day 2--skip White Mesa and ride the Otero area all day. I found White Mesa incredibly boring. The scenery gets old after a minute too. Also, keep in mind that while the temp may not be as hot as TX, you will be at altitude, and the sun exposure makes it feel much hotter than the temp suggests. I find riding here in 85F more uncomfortable than other places at 100F.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Day 2--skip White Mesa and ride the Otero area all day. I found White Mesa incredibly boring. The scenery gets old after a minute too. Also, keep in mind that while the temp may not be as hot as TX, you will be at altitude, and the sun exposure makes it feel much hotter than the temp suggests. I find riding here in 85F more uncomfortable than other places at 100F.
    Didn't consider that. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awshucks, If I were coming from many. many hours away to ride in Northern New Mexico I would definitely ride:

1) South Boundary Trail (Taos, 40 miles as a loop)

2) Ravins Ridge down to the ski basin parking lot, up to the top of the quad, down Alamos Vista, up to the top of the Winsor, down the Winsor to Tesuque (Santa Fe, 35+ miles)

3) REM down to Double Discount, to Discount, to Jaw Bone, to Chamisa (Santa Fe, 30ish miles)

4) Los Alamos Pajarito Burnout "B" course (Los Alamos, 45 miles)

5) Cedro Peak/ Tijeras (Albuequerque)

6) Dale Ball/Atalaya (Santa Fe)

Lift riding isn't my thing, so I can't speak to how great Angel Fire or Pajarito Mountain are. We have TONS of amazing riding here, so bring your legs and get after it!

Have fun planning! And go BIG!!!

mtbr member
    Lol maybe I shouldn't have asked you guys made the decisions harder!

hop hop hop
    Your original plan looks good to me! don't skip white mesa. Otero area is also awesome. And if you ride trials you should spend some time at the San Ysidro trials area just a few minutes up the road from the white mesa turn.

mtbr member
    Rode Lost Lake at the end of July last year and had some snow at the top. I did the loop clockwise and did quite a bit of hike and bike going up, but coming down was incredibly fun.

Passed some guys going counterclockwise, they seemed to be having more fun. But they were on the downhill side of their run.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Awshucks, If I were coming from many. many hours away to ride in Northern New Mexico I would definitely ride:

1) South Boundary Trail (Taos, 40 miles as a loop)

2) Ravins Ridge down to the ski basin parking lot, up to the top of the quad, down Alamos Vista, up to the top of the Winsor, down the Winsor to Tesuque (Santa Fe, 35+ miles)

3) REM down to Double Discount, to Discount, to Jaw Bone, to Chamisa (Santa Fe, 30ish miles)

4) Los Alamos Pajarito Burnout "B" course (Los Alamos, 45 miles)

5) Cedro Peak/ Tijeras (Albuequerque)

6) Dale Ball/Atalaya (Santa Fe)

Lift riding isn't my thing, so I can't speak to how great Angel Fire or Pajarito Mountain are. We have TONS of amazing riding here, so bring your legs and get after it!

Have fun planning! And go BIG!!!
    Logistically how could we do ride number 3 if we only have 1 car?

mtbr member
    You take the Blue Bus shuttle up to the top and ride back to town. That's a big, big day. Lots of water, food, and a fully charged phone for sure.