1st Time At Angel Fire- Mtbr.com
    Low speed, High Drag

1st Time At Angel Fire

We're heading to Angel fire at the end of the month, and wanted to ask a couple of questions. We're coming up from Phoenix, bringing a Transition Scout (mine), and a Marin Hawk Hill (hers).

We have knee pads, Sedona is a regular stop for us, are elbow pads used, as well?

Goggles? Do you guys use goggles, or just glasses? We have Bell Super 3R's, so we're covered in the lid department. How's the dust, I guess would be why I'm asking about goggles?

Anything else we need to know? We're staying at the RV resort, and have 3 days to ride at the park. We'll ride mostly blue trails, we're both too old to hit big gaps, or doubles!!
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I didn't wear any pads and wore my regular sunglasses a few weekends ago and had a blast. If you want to turtle up and wear goggles, you won't be the only one. I also rode my hardtail on a bunch of laps so I might be slightly nuts.

The blues are fun. I rode all of them. Duke had one sketchy spot. Make sure you hit chutes and ladders.

Kick Start My Heart
    Wear whatever you want!
    Most folks are shin guards, knee pads, if you feel elbows, have at it. Angelfire is very laid back, whatever you do will be fine.
    I've always done sunglasses with my full face with no problems.
    Can't speak to the dust, I've been there during the monsoon season (afternoon showers), and this year opening day, (Hero + mud).
    Boulder Dash is my go to. Flowy with features setup to keep you constantly in the groove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Low speed, High Drag
    Thanks for the advice, guys!! We're really looking forward to this trip, and can't wait to get up there!!

It looks lie we're squared away as far as gear goes, so we'll just get there, and see what's actually needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey Kev,

If you remember and have the time try to post up how your trip went. Me and a couple of friends are making the journey from Phx up to Angel Fire during the last week of July. It'll be the first time for all of us....looking forward to it.

Hope your trip turns out awesome!!!

DC
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

Low speed, High Drag
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    Hey Kev,

If you remember and have the time try to post up how your trip went. Me and a couple of friends are making the journey from Phx up to Angel Fire during the last week of July. It'll be the first time for all of us....looking forward to it.

Hope your trip turns out awesome!!!

DC
    Will do. I'll post here, and over in the AZ forum, as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Enjoy Kev! I was there over the weekend and the trails were in great shape. We've been getting a bit of afternoon rain (monsoons starting) so there may be some hero dirt for you hopefully.

As far as kit; I wear a full face with knee and elbow pads. Many of the trails are not super technical but speed and jumps will be the manifestation of the grim reaper if you are not careful. Many folks don't armour up as much as I do but I'm a middle aged dude with bones that tend to break and heal slowly with complications.
    2019 Transition Sentinel
    2018 Kona Process 153 AL

Low speed, High Drag
    Ok, sorry I never came back and posted an update. Work, life, and other BS gets in the way sometimes!!

First off, we had a blast. Well worth the drive from Phoenix. We stayed at the Angel Fire RV resort, which is a top notch campground. Full hook-ups, Wi-fi (well, on the weekends!!) dog park, and a store, and a country club. Only $56 a night, with our Good Sam discount.

The park was awesome. Started off on the recommended green trails, and quickly hit the blue mid-way thru the first day.

Second day I rode mostly by myself, and hit Hungry Hippo after lunch. This trail, being black, seemed to be in way better condition than the blue trails. Little use, hardly any braking bumps.

Third day we rode a little bit of everything, and I rode until I couldn't grip the bars anymore!!

Took my full face helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads, wore goggles the entire time, and never crashed!! Almost a couple of times on Boulder Dash, but managed to save it every time!! Oh, the huge step-up on Drops And Lollipops is freakin' sweet!! I highly recommend it!!

Thanks for everyone's help, and we're looking forward to getting back up there!! I wanna race the Enduro race, and find a team for the Burner next year!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thx for checking back in KevH. Sounds like it was a hoot!!
    We're gonna be there on 8/1. Can't wait!!!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

Huffy Rider
    This place is fun! We hit it every year for a few days. Aug 5-9 then off to PJ for the weekend.