Where to live in Reno?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Where to live in Reno?

Been off MTBR for a while dealing with the disaster that is 2020. Good news is, Iím getting out of the Bay Area! Reno is currently in the top spot of places to move. Itíll be me, my non mountain biking wife and my 2 and 5 year old kids. Question for you all is what neighborhoods we should check out. Priorities are schools, access to trails (would love to be able to ride from the house) and then access to other amenities like coffee shops, restaurants, groceries, etc. So, let me know, where should we focus our search?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Don't Tread on Me
    South Reno, North Carson and in between would be the best. North Reno gets you access to the Peavine Trail system, but I, personally do not enjoy those trails and North Reno is not as nice as other parts of town.
    The trails in the area are varied and amazing. You should get used to the idea of putting your bike in the truck or on a bike rack to have easy access to the most fun possible. North and South Tahoe, Truckee, and Carson City are an easy, short drive away.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How much do you want to spend?

Where is your job/spouseís job?

When are you moving?

Reno trails are so so, Peavine is okay but itís not a place I ride often. Best valley trails are in Carson, best mountain trails are in Tahoe and Truckee.

In Carson, prices are high and market is tight. Reno is a biggish city, so expect to drive to ride unless you live very near a trail head. Carson is a nice place to live.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Our budget tops out at $1.2M in part because my dad lives with us and contributes (if anyone wants to know what an inter generational household is really like, hit me up).

My wife will work from home, I will work in Reno.

Timeline is a bit uncertain - could be as soon as end of this year. The latest would be next August/September.

What are the trails to hit around Carson? Is it realistic to ride to trails from home in Carson?

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Most Delicious
    All of Carson is 3 miles or less to a trailhead.

mtbr member
    Looking at Carson Cuty, thereís a ton that appeals to me and weíll be visiting in the next few weeks. However, looking at the schools, they only look so so. Anyone have experience with the schools there?

Short-Change-Hero
    Hey Joey so really depends on what you are looking for in schools. Most of carsons schools are rated as ok unless your kids go to one of the private religious schools.

My house is on the west side of carson (older part) and it is 2 miles of pavement pounding from my doorstep to the trailhead at Ash Canyon (north west side). There are other trails around but our biggest network is the Ash Canyon portion.

When do you think you guys will be here for a visit. My MIL is an agent/broker here in town so if there are houses or anything like that I can get you in contact with. Ben is right though, the market is pretty tight and depending on where your work is in Reno, you are looking at a minimum of a 20 minute drive with good traffic. I know that is nothing compared to the Bay but still something to consider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    School are fair, there are better schools in Reno, but right now there really isn't school as we know it.

Riding from work in Reno to home is probably going to be a road ride, all the trails are on the edges of the suburbs.

I live backed up to BLM, I have trails in my backyard. There are a few other places with trails adjacent to housing

Centennial Trails: Look at Goni (that's where I live)
    Prison Hill: Carson River, 5th Street
    Ash to King/College Trails: Up King's Canyon, Above the college, Timberline
    Clear Creek: Jacks Valley
    Genoa: Genoa

Some trails get snowed out more than others, Centennial and above the college thaw out the fastest.

Come visit, we'll show you around

mtbr member
    Thank you for the great info!

Weíre planning to visit the weekend of October 17th, and it would be great to meet up with you guys not only to check out trails but to see/hear what the town has to offer.

As for schools, weíd prefer public schools, but weíre also open to private schools if it makes sense.

The commute time to Reno doesnít bother me that much. I tend to work off hours anyway (Iím in the nationís least popular profession) and I had the shortest commute of anyone I knew in the Bay Are.... and it was 20 minutes.

Greg, Iíll shoot you a DM about your MIL. Weíre truly just looking right now, but that could turn to buying in a very short period of time.

Iíll let you guys know once our plans are firmed up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In Reno, look in 89509 and surrounding neighborhoods. Itís got the better schools and is close to Midtown and Downtown. Itís also a short ride to Peavine. Avoid The North Valleys and Sparks (anything Northeast of downtown). Your budget will get you a lot of house in Nevada too.

Not to get in Reno vs Carson pissing match but I prefer Reno. Thereís more going on with more and better restaurants, more and better bars, a University, a river park, Artown, several theaters and better schools.

The Carson folks donít like riding Peavine but I prefer it over Clear Creek (a very crowded out and back) or the Ash canyon trails. Peavine gets hot, is confusing until Iím you know the trails, and has a southern exposure but itís got lots of mileage, a jump trail a flow trail and some techy stuff. We also have Galena and Sky Tavern for additional riding. More work is going into the new Sierra Vista bike park too. I also feel the closer-to-Reno Tahoe and Truckee options are better rather than the sandy East Shore and South Lake trails.

A warning - the trails generally shutdown in the winter. We donít have the year round riding of the Bay Area but Auburn is under 90 minutes from Reno. Weíre also closer most of the ski resorts than Carson.

Itís just a matter of what youíre looking for. Come to town and spend a few days

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    In Reno, look in 89509 and surrounding neighborhoods. Itís got the better schools and is close to Midtown and Downtown. Itís also a short ride to Peavine. Avoid The North Valleys and Sparks (anything Northeast of downtown). Your budget will get you a lot of house in Nevada too.

Not to get in Reno vs Carson pissing match but I prefer Reno. Thereís more going on with more and better restaurants, more and better bars, a University, a river park, Artown, several theaters and better schools.

The Carson folks donít like riding Peavine but I prefer it over Clear Creek (a very crowded out and back) or the Ash canyon trails. Peavine gets hot, is confusing until Iím you know the trails, and has a southern exposure but itís got lots of mileage, a jump trail a flow trail and some techy stuff. We also have Galena and Sky Tavern for additional riding. More work is going into the new Sierra Vista bike park too. I also feel the closer-to-Reno Tahoe and Truckee options are better rather than the sandy East Shore and South Lake trails.

A warning - the trails generally shutdown in the winter. We donít have the year round riding of the Bay Area but Auburn is under 90 minutes from Reno. Weíre also closer most of the ski resorts than Carson.

Itís just a matter of what youíre looking for. Come to town and spend a few days
    Don't disagree with this at all. Not saying one of the other is better, all comes down to personal preference and what you want out of things.

Joe - take a look at Zillow, lots of stuff pops up on there on a regular basis, plenty of stuff available in and around Carson, Reno so all comes down to what you want. If you decide to look more at Reno, let me know and I can hook you up with an agent there too.

Will you be transferring departments or retiring? Hit me up via DM and we can chat.

mtbr member
    Jones, that is the area of Reno that appeals to us the most. Since weíve got the time (moving during the school year is pretty much a non issue thanks to COVID), weíre planning on doing a few weekend trips staying at Airbnbís in various towns/cities/neighborhoods.

Greg, Iím looking to transfer. Going to be a big change, but itís time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    You should also consider Northwest Reno; some of the houses in this direction are a little mroe expensive, but its well worth it. There is a park located in Northwest Reno called Sierra Vista Park. There are several mountain biking trails there that are great for pros and beginners. Also, Northwest Reno is a nice gateway to Tahoe if you don't decide to enter through Highway 50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    Our budget tops out at $1.2M in part because my dad lives with us and contributes...
    For that budget, I (personally) would think outside of the box and look around the north end of Lake Tahoe (NV side!), Incline Village, etc. I would much rather spend more commute time for work than I do for recreation. But I know that commute wouldn't sit well with everyone. Priorities. I scoped out a couple of properties there a week ago. If it weren't for their real winters, I'd consider it for my next move.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    For that budget, I (personally) would think outside of the box and look around the north end of Lake Tahoe (NV side!), Incline Village, etc. I would much rather spend more commute time for work than I do for recreation. But I know that commute wouldn't sit well with everyone. Priorities. I scoped out a couple of properties there a week ago. If it weren't for their real winters, I'd consider it for my next move.
    Main thing is that there are two problems that people have when doing this coming from outside areas (good friend is real estate agent there too)...
    1. If you live in Incline you either need to pay for a snow removal service or love to shovel snow. Most winters will require this on a regular basis to keep things accessible..and
    2. The commute to Reno will then be gnarly. Most winters Mt. Rose highway is closed due to snowfall at some point. So this means either going in through Kings Beach and hitting HWY267 to 80 to Reno or through Carson City to Reno (much easier now with the freeway extension).

Unfortunately those are the fact of the matter for those living full time in Incline or around the Lake. As one buddy said after he had lived there for 10yrs, either you learn to love shoveling snow on a regular basis or you move away quickly.

Other option would be to look in the Franktown area in Washoe Lake/Valley. Plenty of houses in that price range (and North), but usually come with more luxury.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I completely get this point of view, but one of the factors in the decision to move is balancing commute with fun activities. I currently live 12 minutes from work but have to worry about drive by shootings and robberies in my neighborhood (not an exaggeration) and while I have a decent riding area 20 min away that I can hit on the way to work, trail access, crowds and crime are a constant pain. As tempting as it is to go to the complete opposite end of the spectrum, balance is what Iím looking for.

Also, one thing to keep in mind with our budget (which is awesome, I have no complaints) is that we really need a secondary house, already set up in law quarters or the ability to easily make one of the two (if you want to hear a rant, ask me about the Berkeley residential construction process).

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I spent 14 years in the Reno/Tahoe area after living in the Bay area.

Take a look at the Galena Forest area (its like a spread out subdivision) on the way up to Mt. Rose hwy. Pine forest, best forested Mt.bike trails, 15-20 minutes from Mt.Rose ski area, just over the Mt. Rose pass to Tahoe, better schools down the hill, close to basic shopping, etc....

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Take a look at the Galena Forest area (its like a spread out subdivision) on the way up to Mt. Rose hwy. Pine forest, best forested Mt.bike trails, 15-20 minutes from Mt.Rose ski area, just over the Mt. Rose pass to Tahoe, better schools down the hill, close to basic shopping, etc....
    But there is also going to be the occasional heavy snowfall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Get a fat bike or go skiing....Reno does sometimes get big snows, but mostly up in Tahoe

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Carson City up near the college, Timberline or Lakeview, close to town and close to the intestate, crime is a non issue, trails are rideable most of the time, when theyíre wet ride early to catch them before they thaw.

The reason Carson riders donít ride Peavine is cuz it sucks; sorry Reno folks but itís true. Carson has the best riding and itís only getting better: Centennial, Prison Hill, Clear Creek, Ash to King, Genoa, Pinenuts, and the TRT which is fifteen minutes from town.

If you enjoy gravel grinding, thereís a ton of it.

I ride year round, I built trails in my backyard, I probably ride dirt 11 months of the year, snow a few days, and packed snow/ice a few weeks, so I only have a couple weeks each year where I have to look for dirt.

Fallon has a nice Hill thatís often clear when everything else is snowy, Winnemucca has some nice XC stuff, then down south a few hours are some good trails at Spicer Ranch. We also go to St George in the winter which is amazing.

Itís twenty minutes to Reno from Carson, itís thirty seconds from my garage to the trails 👍

But, if I had to live in Reno, Iíd live out in Verdi, close to trails and close to Truckee. The schools may suck, no idea, my kids are all adults.