Very Frustrated!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Very Frustrated!

Are there any certified suspension builders here in Vegas? I am visiting from out of state and have a less than six months old Fox 32 Float Forks on my bike and the fork seals are already weeping! I cant believe they only warranty there fork seals for 90 days! I figure with shipping,the rebuild and return shipping,I'm looking at two weeks minumum.Way too much down time and out of pocket expense for fork seals,that are not covered under warranty!Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.As some would say,I drank the Fox kool aid and it doesnt taste very good right now!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Las vegas Cyclery should have the parts in stock. I just bought new dust seals from them a couple days ago. You could also try all mountain Cyclery but they are in boulder city. I'm sure there are other shops that could do it but those are my 2 fav stores.

http://lasvegascyclery.com/
    http://www.allmountaincyclery.com/

Maaaaan
    Yes and also; A little weeping is normal. Totally dry is not. Unless the fluid is actually seeping over the seal lip, and onto the the top of the sliders, it's probably ok.
    I've used other brands and they are dead in a year around here. My Fox has lasted two years with nothing but 3 seal and fluid swaps. No major work needed in 3500 miles.

I'm curious. Do you wipe your stancions down after every ride?
    If not, use a clean rag, and no cleaners, just plain water.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    If I remember correctly, LVC will only ship the fork out to Fox for service. Call JT's Bicycle http://www.jtsbicycle.com/ and see if Josh can do it for you..... my .02

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Yes, I do wipe down the forks after every ride and there is green fluid leaking past the dust cover/wipers.Dont get me wrong,I love this fork and the performance is amazing!Perhaps I mispoke out of frustration,but I think seal life should be better for a product such as this.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by jekramerjr51
    Yes, I do wipe down the forks after every ride and there is green fluid leaking past the dust cover/wipers.Dont get me wrong,I love this fork and the performance is amazing!Perhaps I mispoke out of frustration,but I think seal life should be better for a product such as this.
    It's what's known as a "Catch-22". If the seals are tighter, they have mondo stiction.
    If they are looser, they let a small amount of lube by, which helps keep things super smooth running, but at the expense of needing to add fluid, and/or service more often.

I've learned to do my own seals. It's not really hard to do. Plus you can order them online for about $20 usually.
    I've had better luck with Sram Pit Stop fork oil, than Fox's fluid. It's cheaper, easier to find and the seals seem to last a bit longer. The Fork's bushings and other internals don't seem to mind the different fluid. I've been using Sram's fluid for 2 years with no ill effects to my Fox 32 Vanilla.

Sram's fork fluid seems to run a bit lighter than Fox's. IE, use 10wt Pit Stop, when you would use 7wt Fox fluid.

mtbr member
    Thank you very much for the info Eric.So how did you learn to do your own forks?

Maaaaan
    Thank you very much for the info Eric.So how did you learn to do your own forks?
    I've just worked on my own cars and trucks, and motorcycles etc, so when It came time to learn the bike, it was easy.
    It's mostly about looking specific things up online. Learning not to force things when they get a little difficult and keeping things really clean.
    Like cleaning the fork externals really well, before taking it apart, so dirt contamination is at a minimum.
    Also; cleaning it again when your done, before putting it on the bike.
    Lubing the seals with a light coating of oil, to make it easier to slide the lowers back on and wiggling the sliders back and forth to help them get passed the seals without damaging them.
    Using a proper measuring device for the fluid levels. No guessing!

mtbr member
    I too came from the same school of learning as you.When I was a kid I raced motocross and rebuilt my bikes from the ground up and using all the same practices as you mentioned above.Also,what is your opinion on the "Enduro" seals?

Maaaaan
    I too came from the same school of learning as you.When I was a kid I raced motocross and rebuilt my bikes from the ground up and using all the same practices as you mentioned above.Also,what is your opinion on the "Enduro" seals?
    I've had mixed results with Enduro. I liked them a lot back in the Bay Area's soil conditions and I liked them better than the stock Manitou seals on three Minute forks I used to own.
    On the Fox, here in the desert, I like the stock Fox 32mm revision C seals. (I think they are revision C.)
    My problem with Enduro here in the ultra dry conditions, was that they held back too much oil. They sealed a bit too well here. I think oiled grit, is better than dry grit, here in the desert. In wetter climates where the soil stays on the ground better, the Enduros work fine.
    In fact they will outlast stock rubber seals.
    I find that odd, since Enduro is a South West corporation.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi
    If I remember correctly, LVC will only ship the fork out to Fox for service. Call JT's Bicycle http://www.jtsbicycle.com/ and see if Josh can do it for you..... my .02

Matt
    Matt we (LVC) can repair the fork

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If the fluid is green, it is float fluid and not oil. It lubricates the dust wiper and stanchion, and occasionally eeks out past the dust wiper. Wipe off the grime after each ride to stop it from getting past the dust wiper.
    Canuck in the homeland

mtbr member
    Step by step instructions to do it yourself here: http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm
    "I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -------- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Maaaaan
    There are also step by step instructions at Enduro.

Members who have read this thread: 0