Thinking about a date change for the Fears Tears and Beers.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343

    Thinking about a date change for the Fears Tears and Beers.

    We've been holding the annual Fears Tears and Beers MTB Enduro on the second saturday in June for the past five years.

    The past two years have been cold and snowy and people have complained about the race conflicting with the Ashland 12 mile SuperD.

    We're thinking about changing it to July 9th for 2011.

    The risk of snow will be almost zilch and it will be too early for the monsoons, but it may be hot (85-95F).
    Trails will be more dry and loose but generally are still in really good shape.

    Does anyone know what other events this date may conflict with or have any input they'd like to share?

    Thanks
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  2. #2
    Young, Shawn Young
    Reputation: Redmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,154
    How about even one week later? Im Just thinking that it so close to July 4th and alot of people travel for that as well. Probably doesnt matter. 85-95 is prime riding temp range as far as Im concerned and it probably cools off nicely up there.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

    Dont make me be the bad guy...

    Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

  3. #3
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    We've been holding the annual Fears Tears and Beers MTB Enduro on the second saturday in June for the past five years.

    The past two years have been cold and snowy and people have complained about the race conflicting with the Ashland 12 mile SuperD.

    We're thinking about changing it to July 9th for 2011.

    The risk of snow will be almost zilch and it will be too early for the monsoons, but it may be hot (85-95F).
    Trails will be more dry and loose but generally are still in really good shape.

    Does anyone know what other events this date may conflict with or have any input they'd like to share?

    Thanks
    Kent I like the Idea of moving it up a week, But I also liked the fact you get muddy So either is good. Let me know what you decide and When I should come up and help out.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon
    How about even one week later? Im Just thinking that it so close to July 4th and alot of people travel for that as well. Probably doesnt matter. 85-95 is prime riding temp range as far as Im concerned and it probably cools off nicely up there.
    I just found out the Downieville Classic is the weekend of July 8-10 so I don't think it's wise to go up against that.

    There's a bunch of other stuff going on and people may have other vacation plans, but Ely is kind of a fun place to spend the Fourth. Maybe do it on July 2? Or not.

    The third week in June is tough because there's a couple other big community events going on that takes a lot of our volunteers and more importantly would make it tough for our main sponsor The Jailhouse Hotel Casino to accommodate us.

    Maybe we just have to risk the snow again. It does give you something to talk about.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  5. #5
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I just found out the Downieville Classic is the weekend of July 8-10 so I don't think it's wise to go up against that.

    There's a bunch of other stuff going on and people may have other vacation plans, but Ely is kind of a fun place to spend the Fourth. Maybe do it on July 2? Or not.

    The third week in June is tough because there's a couple other big community events going on that takes a lot of our volunteers and more importantly would make it tough for our main sponsor The Jailhouse Hotel Casino to accommodate us.

    Maybe we just have to risk the snow again. It does give you something to talk about.
    Yea just keep it the same date then...

  6. #6
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    So when it the race going to happen?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    47
    1 Vote for July 2nd weekend.

    This will make for a great June and July of racing for us Nevadans.

    Ashland Mt.Challenge June 17-19th

    Fears Tears and Beers July 2-3

    Downieville Classic July 9-10


    Perfect!

  8. #8
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,483
    Personally I would rather ride in colder temps than the hotter temps. Dont want to scare anyone with my naked body riding around because it got to hot. At least you will warm up if you start off a bit cold. I am going to have to keep my eye on this one because I want to enter a race or two this year. Wish there was something closer to me though (Carson City, Reno). Where can I find good information about races?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    We haven't settled on a date for sure but we should be meeting again soon.

    I'm pulling for June 25th (Although it looks like the 2nd Saturday in June is open again since Ashland moved to the third Saturday. Snow anyone?)
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  10. #10
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,483
    Really? Do you still think that there will be snow up there by that time? Normally the wife and I go camping for the first time of the year on Memorial Day weekend and we occasionally get snow. But after that Tahoe is usually pretty clear and good to go?! I can understand cold but still snow being left on the ground? And have an odd feeling this is going to be a weird weather year with late showers (not snow). Still I think I might have to take a ride up there for the race either as a spectator or racer?!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Really? Do you still think that there will be snow up there by that time? Normally the wife and I go camping for the first time of the year on Memorial Day weekend and we occasionally get snow. But after that Tahoe is usually pretty clear and good to go?! I can understand cold but still snow being left on the ground? And have an odd feeling this is going to be a weird weather year with late showers (not snow). Still I think I might have to take a ride up there for the race either as a spectator or racer?!
    I'm talking about new snow, although there is often a pretty good patch up high that we usually have to slog across.

    Last year's race:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thinking about a date change for the Fears Tears and Beers.-ftb2010.jpg  

    Thinking about a date change for the Fears Tears and Beers.-ftb2010mud.jpg  

    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  12. #12
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,483
    Ok cool. I talked with my brother last night while knocking back a few buckets of cioppino and he is down for doing the race with me. Where can I find a route for the trail? We would like to run out there before hand and ride the trails so we know what we are getting into. Since I have just started doing this we will both more than likely do the Beginners race but if I can get myself into climbing shape in time I wouldnt mind trying the Sport Class.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Of course all the trails are covered in snow until mid to late may but definitely come on out then and sample the course.

    The "beginner" loop is essentially the Upper Coyote route described in the trails section of the GBTA site here.

    Add the G-loop trail described here to that by connecting the two via the Ice Plant connector trail for the Sport loop. This combo makes up one of my favorite local rides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mad man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12
    Nice pics krob !!!
    Makes me want to do a drop off of iceplant!!!!!!!!!
    Me i like the unprecedictablity of the date we have been doing the race on .
    The not knowing if u will be racing in cold or hot is great!
    I have seen it both ways.
    DO or DIE !!!!!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by mad man
    Nice pics krob !!!
    Makes me want to do a drop off of iceplant!!!!!!!!!

    I wish! You got your skiis?

    Hey Russ. Long time no see. Now that Ashland has changed to the 18th the weather is really the only concern for the 11th. That weekend has been perfect dirt and perfect weather more often than not.... but as we found out the last two years it can be a challenge too.

    It is kind of fun to have the snow/rain/hail/mud factor thrown in there to add to the whole "Fears and Tears" allure of the event.... but my concern is with the volunteers, folks destroying equipment, scoring, and people just not coming ("We've become a nation of wusses" ).

    So based on the past 5 years, chances of perfection is about 60%. Should we go for it?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  16. #16
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    Mr. KRob I'll be in town 1 weekend of march. i'll call you ...

    Hutch

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Mr. KRob I'll be in town 1 weekend of march. i'll call you ...

    Hutch
    Cool. If it's toward the end of March (and we get some early thawing) we may even be able to get some rides in.

    Let me know.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  18. #18
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Cool. If it's toward the end of March (and we get some early thawing) we may even be able to get some rides in.

    Let me know.
    Oh I'll be there March 4th, will there still be too much snow to ride something? I'll have my bike?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Oh I'll be there March 4th, will there still be too much snow to ride something? I'll have my bike?
    Chances of riding on dirt are pretty low.... but chances of there being something to ride (snowmobile packed trails, vehicle packed dirt roads, highway, etc) are pretty high.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343

    It's official June 11th, 2011

    We had our Great Basin Trails Alliance meeting tonight and voted on the date for this year's Fears Tears and Beers Enduro and have settled on Saturday, June 11th.

    We risk the weather but this really is the best weekend for us and our sponsoring Hotel. Plus most of the time it's the best dirt and weather as well. We've had rain/snow races the last two years but every other year it's been perfect..... and they've moved the Ashland 12-Mile Super D to the following weekend so no conflict there.

    That's my birthday, so everyone will be obliged to go slower so I can win.

    So mark the date. Hope to see you there.
    Last edited by KRob; 01-26-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  21. #21
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    We had our Great Basin Trails Alliance meeting tonight and voted on the date for this year's Fears Tears and Beers Enduro and have settled on Saturday, June 11th.

    We risk the weather but this really is the best weekend for us and our sponsoring Hotel. Plus most of the time it's the best dirt and weather as well. We've had rain/snow races the last two years but every other year it's been perfect..... and they've moved the Ashland 12-Mile Super D to the following weekend so no conflict there.

    So mark the date. Hope to see you there.
    Very Nice. When do you need me to come out and help mark the race?

  22. #22
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,483
    Very cool. My brother and I are going to try and make it out for the Beginner class (maybe try Sport class, just need to be in climbing shape ASAP). I am assuming everything for registration and what not is on the website so we can make arrangements?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv
    Very Nice. When do you need me to come out and help mark the race?

    Hey Rob,

    I usually start marking the course with ribbon on my normal morning rides a couple of weeks before the race.

    The big push would be that week before the race... especially Friday the 10th. That's when most of the arrows and lath go up..... but I do a lot of that from my truck or motorcycle.

    Let me know when you want to come.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Very cool. My brother and I are going to try and make it out for the Beginner class (maybe try Sport class, just need to be in climbing shape ASAP). I am assuming everything for registration and what not is on the website so we can make arrangements?
    The Sport loop isn't that much more climbing than the beginner loop and it's fairly easy climbing. If you're coming out you might as well get the extra mileage and fun descent on the Sport Loop for your money.

    I think we're going to use Active.com for online registration this year. Hopefully we'll have something up on the website by next month.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  25. #25
    Short-Change-Hero
    Reputation: gregnash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,483
    Just went to look at some information and you are getting 509 error (bandwidth exceeded). Looks like it is time to switch to a new provider!

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,343
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Just went to look at some information and you are getting 509 error (bandwidth exceeded). Looks like it is time to switch to a new provider!
    Yeah, someone pointed that out to me yesterday too. I sent our site administrator a note. Hopefully he can fix it (He also is the IT guy for the provider).
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  27. #27
    The Hutch
    Reputation: rob1208lv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,290
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Hey Rob,

    I usually start marking the course with ribbon on my normal morning rides a couple of weeks before the race.

    The big push would be that week before the race... especially Friday the 10th. That's when most of the arrows and lath go up..... but I do a lot of that from my truck or motorcycle.

    Let me know when you want to come.
    I'll come up Thursday night after work . assuming Rozar can come that early.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.