Stop building cheater lines!- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Stop building cheater lines!

Plain and simple, folks. Stop building cheater lines. It seems that every time I go out to Bears Best or SW ridge, someone has built themselves a new ramp up the tech features, dumbing it down for the rest of us who like the challenge. If you can't ride an obstacle, either walk your bike over it or start practicing until you can ride it . . . heaven forbid, you become a better rider. There is no obstacle at either one of these trails that isn't 100% rideable.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

nvphatty
    trail sanitation has become rampant nearly everywhere sadly.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    trail sanitation has become rampant nearly everywhere sadly.
    True, but I have to admit, Some of the stuff at Bootleg is just returning some sections to the fast and flowy way Brent Thompson had built it in the first place.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Rides all the bikes!
    I think it is everywhere. Though sadly, sometimes they are "Strava" lines intended to get KOM's. That's one of the two reasons I have quit KOM chasing on descents. I am not taking cheater lines to get a better time, that ruins the fun of MTB riding.

The other reason is GPS error, that is just annoying (I don't chase short climbs for that reason either).

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Plain and simple, folks. Stop building cheater lines. It seems that every time I go out to Bears Best or SW ridge, someone has built themselves a new ramp up the tech features, dumbing it down for the rest of us who like the challenge. If you can't ride an obstacle, either walk your bike over it or start practicing until you can ride it . . . heaven forbid, you become a better rider. There is no obstacle at either one of these trails that isn't 100% rideable.
    If a cheater line can be built, it can in turn be unbuilt. Clock in.

Set small explosives underneath surrounding rocks that the cheater line builders may want to reuse. When they lift the rocks/boulders up to move them, BOOOOM!!!!

That'll show 'em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hate it too! I don't necessarily agree with fast and flowy Brent intended lines. What I'm seeing are new lines made by guys on fattie tire bikes which in turn are tearing up the trails. This is at Bootleg. But I totally disagree with the "go around" being made to avoid the tech. So annoying. The funny thing is you never catch them doing it.

The Hutch
    Just wait tell the electric mtn bikes really take off, we will have all kinds of cheater lines and strava will seem irrelevant.
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    Just wait tell the electric mtn bikes really take off, we will have all kinds of cheater lines and strava will seem irrelevant.
    party foul.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'd say there's a big difference between cheater lines (B-lines) and sanitation. I don't have much of an issue with a cheater line so long as the original line is not ruined, and the features some of us call "fun" remain ride-able. Sanitation on the other hand is a whole different issue. I'd imagine some of the sanitation that ruins features could be avoided if a proper B Line was established in the first place. I'm not advocating cutting new lines, or removing features, but if we're to be honest, nobody prefers to walk there bike, and not everyone is interested in pushing the limits.

The only solution in my mind is increasing beginner and intermediate trail access as an alternative to those who can't ride the tech, and planning proper B lines trails otherwise.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    I hate it too! I don't necessarily agree with fast and flowy Brent intended lines. What I'm seeing are new lines made by guys on fattie tire bikes which in turn are tearing up the trails. This is at Bootleg. But I totally disagree with the "go around" being made to avoid the tech. So annoying. The funny thing is you never catch them doing it.
    It's not plus bikes making the straight-line fall line shortcuts on places like Mother at Bootleg.

For some reason, there's a subset of riders who hate corners. You can see it at Bootleg and the Telephone Canyon trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I feel your guys pain.... having ridden those trails while in Vegas.... here in NC some ass hat went and cut down trees to widen the trail.... we have suspensions on the type of person that could of perpeatrated the act since the trail is in town and popular with strava types. I will completely disagree with assuming tire size has anything to blame with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Well, I have ridden with the Fattie tire guys and they are making the trails wider especially around corners. They are carrying more speed and don't have to be as precise with their lines. But, they are not making the trails easier just messier, at least out at Bootleg.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    Well, I have ridden with the Fattie tire guys and they are making the trails wider especially around corners. They are carrying more speed and don't have to be as precise with their lines. But, they are not making the trails easier just messier, at least out at Bootleg.
    Sounds like the same thing some people always say about bikes that have features that they don't have.

You can be precise, or imprecise, the bike you're riding doesn't matter.

What corners are you talking about? The braking bumps on Girl Scout because of all the skidding that have been developing for years? The fall line shortcuts on the North side of Mother?

The more traffic trails get, the more they'll get widened, if that's happening on the Lake View trails, you're barking up the wrong tree.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    Won't be long now. The big S is all in with huge two page adds in all the mags and slick edits with their factory riders tearing it up on e-bikes.

Just one more reason to hate Specialized.