mtbr member

Sat/Sun Feb 11th/12th Vegas rides

Hey Vegas peeps - I'll be in town Saturday and Sunday if anyone wants to do morning rides. The earlier the better for me, but if something's planned that I could tag along on that would be great.

Craig

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by CalEpic
    Hey Vegas peeps - I'll be in town Saturday and Sunday if anyone wants to do morning rides. The earlier the better for me, but if something's planned that I could tag along on that would be great.

Craig
    I could do a very early ride on Sunday like 7am, but I am booked the rest of the day. How do you feel about the Cowboy Trails?
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member

Cowboy trails

Cowboy trails sounds great. I've seen your pics from a previous ride and it looks like fun. From the pic's, I'm assuming my Turner 5 Spot would be better than my Specialized Epic for this ride? I've never ridden there so if you could give me directions to the trailhead it would be appreciated. It's by Red rock right?

Thanks

Craig

desert dweller
    Cowboy trails sounds great. I've seen your pics from a previous ride and it looks like fun. From the pic's, I'm assuming my Turner 5 Spot would be better than my Specialized Epic for this ride? I've never ridden there so if you could give me directions to the trailhead it would be appreciated. It's by Red rock right?

Thanks

Craig
    5 Spot would be the ticket on the Cowboy Trails alrighty. For directions to get there check out:

https://www.barta-nv.com/imagelib/si...g&target=_self

mbb

E !

I'll probably be there

Wherever it is decided. I am open this weekend. I think there might be a b-day party to attend Sat. afternoon though, not sure yet.
    Sunday early is good with me.
    Edit: I just read that you have never done cowboy trails? Well,jeez, i guess we'll have to take you up to the overlook. It's awsome!
    Last edited by E !; 02-08-2006 at 02:03 PM. Reason: text

Just Joshin' ya!

Thanks

Craig
    From northern Vegas, take Charleston/Highway 159 west into the Redrock Conservation area. You will pass the turnoff into the scenic drive. Go another mile on 159 and the trailhead is on the left. There is a big sign that says "Horseback Rides." (Follow Matt's map from his link and you will see what I mean)

7am Sunday. Eric, I hope you show.

CalEpic, The 5 spot is a good choice, but many a rider ride this technical trail with hard tails and some with rigids. (Rigids=crazy)
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

:\ ping of death
    I'll be there but I'll be pulling up the rear as usual. Sunday at 7? Which loop?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

E !

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by NMPhi767
    From northern Vegas, take Charleston/Highway 159 west into the Redrock Conservation area. You will pass the turnoff into the scenic drive. Go another mile on 159 and the trailhead is on the left. There is a big sign that says "Horseback Rides." (Follow Matt's map from his link and you will see what I mean)

7am Sunday. Eric, I hope you show.

CalEpic, The 5 spot is a good choice, but many a rider ride this technical trail with hard tails and some with rigids. (Rigids=crazy)
    7Am i'll be there. How about a ride up to the overlook and then back down the "new" trail?
    Would you like me to bring those rhyno-lites for you to check out?

Just Joshin' ya!
    Sweet! See you there. What do you mean by the new trail? Bob Gnarly or the Moon? Not that it matters, I 'll ride whatever. As far as the wheelset, I can't buy them now because I am getting fitted for a (I can't believe I'm admitting this) road bike on Tuesday. I swear it is only to help my conditioning so I can keep up with you all! I cannot always get to the Cowboy Trails since it is 20 miles from my house so a road bike makes a little more sense for fitness reasons. I promise I am not switching sides! Nonetheless, my discretionary funds are going to my new Felt F90.

desert dweller
    Sweet! See you there. What do you mean by the new trail? Bob Gnarly or the Moon? Not that it matters, I 'll ride whatever. As far as the wheelset, I can't buy them now because I am getting fitted for a (I can't believe I'm admitting this) road bike on Tuesday. I swear it is only to help my conditioning so I can keep up with you all! I cannot always get to the Cowboy Trails since it is 20 miles from my house so a road bike makes a little more sense for fitness reasons. I promise I am not switching sides! Nonetheless, my discretionary funds are going to my new Felt F90.
    It's okay, I went over to the dark side two years ago. Now I only get about 600 miles a year on my mountain bikes and 3000+ on my Litespeed roadie. It is considerably easier to get a 30-40 road ride in the same time as a 10 mile mountain bike ride (once you figure the commute).

matt

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    It's okay, I went over to the dark side two years ago. Now I only get about 600 miles a year on my mountain bikes and 3000+ on my Litespeed roadie. It is considerably easier to get a 30-40 road ride in the same time as a 10 mile mountain bike ride (once you figure the commute).

matt
    I am still having second thoughts. I am still thinking about just buying a hardtail and riding that on the streets. Then I can have a bike more suited to the cross country loops in cottonwood. Either way, I had better figure it out by Tuesday. Any thoughts? I've got 700 hundred bucks as a budget.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 02-09-2006 at 11:40 PM.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by phoeneous
    I'll be there but I'll be pulling up the rear as usual. Sunday at 7? Which loop?
    We'll figure that out when we get there.

E !

second thoughts?

I am still having second thoughts. I am still thinking about just buying a hardtail and riding that on the streets. Then I can have a bike more suited to the cross country loops in cottonwood. Either way, I had better figure it out by Tuesday. Any thoughts? I've got 700 hundred bucks as a budget.
    Don't forget you'll need new shoes,pedals,etc. You will also need some flashy lycra to scare off the "cagers" I did a few road rides the past week and it is BLOODY insane on the roads around here. People honking for no reason ,running stops to cut you off etc...
    (i only had to flip off 2 cars)
    The Trails are a hella lot safer.

mtbr member

Sunday - Sunday - Sunday!!!

See ya all at 7:00 am Sunday. If you see a lost guy driving around in a black F150 honk.

Craig

mtbr member

The shortest ride ever

What a pisser of a ride for me. Hopefully you guys had a great time. I think I'll fix my shock myself rather than wait for Fox to do their thing with it. On a positive note, it was nice and warm inside my truck on the way back to my inlaws while you guys were enjoying the balmy morning. Thanks for meeting me out there even though I couldn't ride.

Final stats for me: Distance 10'. Elevation gain < 1'

I need a beer after that workout.

Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images

:\ ping of death
    I couldnt hang with the fellas By the time we got to the top of bunny/cat in the hat I was out of energy. I havent ridden in about 7 months and Ive forgotten how tough cowboy trails is. Its definitely time for me to go clipless. See ya next time Craig.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

E !

Yah Craig!

I'll rub it ine. You missed out on an awesome ride. It warmed up plenty after the first climb. Nobody crashed and Rob rode like a mad-man. I think he cleared every bit of trail. I was stoked to not get dropped by him. We did some really cool techy stuff that is just about pushing my skill limit. Troy, you weren't that far back,that is a good bail out spot though. You could have hung for the"new" trail.
    See ya on the trails!

mtbr member

It's fixed

15 minute job to fix the shock.I'll be back in town Mon/Tues 21/22 if anyone's not working and wants to try this again.

Craig

E !

What hours?

15 minute job to fix the shock.I'll be back in town Mon/Tues 21/22 if anyone's not working and wants to try this again.

Craig
    I ride at bootleg monday or tuesday nights. about 6-7 ish. Got lights???

mtbr member

No lights

Quote Originally Posted by E !
    I ride at bootleg monday or tuesday nights. about 6-7 ish. Got lights???
    Sorry E - No lights.

C

Members who have read this thread: 0