Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm gonna ride tomorrow during the day, up Kings or something like that.

It's too bad there aren't more trails on the sunny side of the valley; trails that don't close when the weather gets cold.
    XMed GG Smash 29/27+ (Frameset For Sale)
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak 29+
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle 27+ (wife's)

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I'm gonna ride tomorrow during the day, up Kings or something like that.

It's too bad there aren't more trails on the sunny side of the valley; trails that don't close when the weather gets cold.
    I ended up riding Clear Creek Thursday, Peavine Friday and Saturday. Insane wind on Friday but a great morning Saturday.

Peavine seems like it would be rideable all winter long if you had enough fat bike traffic. I actually rode it a couple years ago when we were there for Christmas on a regular 29 and made it to the snowboard bench (breaking ground most of the way).

The Salt Lake area has gotten to the point where we have enough fat bike people that our "peavine" type area is groomed all winter long.

And by the way, Peavine was really pretty impressive last week - someone is putting in a lot of work out there.

Thanks for the tips on where to go last week.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Braking components for the MTB industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The problem with this area vs SLC is the we get a lot of freeze-thaw and some really warm winter days, so the snow turns to mush, then freezes, so it's very hard to establish a base that stays rideable. Perhaps in Tahoe/Truckee, which is where they already have some trails maintained for snow bikes....

I came from WA state, where we had the snow and the cold to groom trails, but it was still hard to keep up the tracks. I thought about grooming snow trails here, then rode fat last winter and realized the complications.

Just better off building trails that remain snow free, out of the tree line, southern exposure, etc... like Prison Hill, Centennial, Goni, Pinion, all of which need more trail building love to become winter destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I ended up riding Clear Creek Thursday, Peavine Friday and Saturday. Insane wind on Friday but a great morning Saturday.

Peavine seems like it would be rideable all winter long if you had enough fat bike traffic. I actually rode it a couple years ago when we were there for Christmas on a regular 29 and made it to the snowboard bench (breaking ground most of the way).

The Salt Lake area has gotten to the point where we have enough fat bike people that our "peavine" type area is groomed all winter long.

And by the way, Peavine was really pretty impressive last week - someone is putting in a lot of work out there.

Thanks for the tips on where to go last week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode up Clear Creek to the Knob yesterday, it is passable, thin snow mostly covering the trail for the last couple miles, patchy snow in the tree line and shady corners, was melting fast yesterday, definitely worth riding. Drop tire pressure and avoid riding through puddles.

I suspect itís rideable from the golf course interchange, though the snow will be deeper the further up you go, lots of foot and bike traffic have compacted the snow.

I suspect Pine Nuts is in excellent shape, worth the drive if you have the time.

Most Delicious
    Where are you riding on the Pine Nuts side?

Short-Change-Hero
    Heard that Centennial is supposed to be awesome right now too. New Conner's Trail (can't remember what the final name is) is supposed to be great little addition.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's perfect over on this side of the valley, snow has been gone for a week, my backyard trails are similar in orientation to Centennial, I never stopped riding, the snow was thin and road well, now it's hero dirt.

We rode Clear Creek on Sunday, still a little snow up high, slushy late in the day, but all rideable.

The trails should be awesome for Xmas!

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Heard that Centennial is supposed to be awesome right now too. New Conner's Trail (can't remember what the final name is) is supposed to be great little addition.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How's Peavine riding this week? Supposed to be mid 50s on Thu, worth the drive from NLT?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    How's Peavine riding this week? Supposed to be mid 50s on Thu, worth the drive from NLT?
    Iíve heard Blite, Crispy Bacon and Bacon Strip are mostly fine. So are Keystone and Evans Canyon. Anything north facing is still snowy/icy/muddy. So avoid Total Recall, Lingles, Colpo Canyon, Bobsled etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    Iíve heard Blite, Crispy Bacon and Bacon Strip are mostly fine. So are Keystone and Evans Canyon. Anything north facing is still snowy/icy/muddy. So avoid Total Recall, Lingles, Colpo Canyon, Bobsled etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This... take a look at the Biggest Little Trail Stewardships (previously PoeDunk) social media as they have all the info on there. Basically they were saying that everything south facing was pretty good to go aside from small parts here and there. They were warning people to stay off all north facing stuff as they had been getting reports of people riding the muddy, nasty sections and causing trail damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Prison Hill is close to snow free on the north facing slope, what snow or ice you'd encounter is gonna be thin and patchy.

Beautiful weather, a little Indian summer, get it before it's gone... next week winter returns.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    This... take a look at the Biggest Little Trail Stewardships (previously PoeDunk) social media as they have all the info on there.
    Thanks, didn't know the Poedunks had changed their name & website

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trails above WNCC are completely clear, trail along the creek from Ash Canyon trailhead has snow in places. Ash to Kings is snow covered, freeze thaw made it pretty slick.

Prison Hill is snow free.

Hero dirt abounds!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trails above WNCC are 99% snow free to the Ash TH, best to ride when the ground is frozen to avoid mashing wet soils and causing ruts; ie frost heave.

Prison Hill Escape route should be rideable, only the north side holds snow long, Iíll go ride it this weekend and report back; or you guys go ride it and do the same

Anyone been up Clear Creek the past day? I suspect itís mucky, so best ride before it thaws to avoid trail damage.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... well so much for riding anytime soon unless you like fatbiking or find a trail with less snow on it. This storm dumped some serious snow and the next one coming this weekend is supposed to be similar. Probably have a good 6" sitting on top of my Land Cruiser from yesterday and today alone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Worse yet, the heavy rain saturated the soils, then the temps dropped, think frozen sponge covered with 6-12Ē of snow, not looking so good right now. Iím packing my backyard trails by walking and snow shoe, should be rideable in the next day if you like snow biking. Once the snow is packed, a plus tire gives plenty of support and traction.

Ridevthevtrails while theyíre frozen to protect from retail damage.

Don't Tread on Me
    So, I'm both sad and happy and sad about the last few weeks of snow. No trails are open and the roads are impassable on a road bike. But, This proves I timed my hernia surgery perfectly. I'm starting my 2nd week of recovery.

I'm sad I'm not cleared to get on my trainer yet. I'm happy we are getting the moisture we need. And I'm sad all of you, my friends, are off your bikes along with me.

My prayers include a quick and complete recovery from my surgery for myself and perfect weather for riding for the rest of the year. (Now that we have enough snow)

Cheers everyone
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The snow last week was so dry that it wouldnít pack until the temps warmed up, but this last snow fall was a little wetter, packed down fine after a couple passes with snow shoes, rode this afternoon on plus tires aired down and it didnít suck.

Iím missing my fat bike right about now...

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah stuff up in Tahoe is nice consistency and packs down pretty easily. Wife and I spent the weekend at the family cabin in Kings Beach. Got there Friday afternoon to spend 3hours shoveling/blowing snow from driveway and porch. Had probably 12" at that point. Shoveled a bunch after snow shoeing on Saturday afternoon, maybe 5" total all day, then the night came and the heavy snow fall started. Woke up yesterday morning to at least 18" on the driveway, more on the vehicles and another good 3hrs of shoveling, snow blowing and pushing people out of drifts and low spots. 10am was the first time (and only time) the plows hit the residential neighborhoods and did a pretty crap job at that.
    Was definitely entertaining to see people hall ballz up the hill to get past the snow in their cars and low clearance SUVs.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... well after these last two storms, it is going to be a while before we see dirt again. Went by the cabin last night to check on things and there was another 6"+ even after all the heavy rain yesterday and warmer temps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123