Reno Carson Trail Report Please - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Great. Thanks for all the information. Very helpful. Would be great to meet up ad ride. Are you riding this Friday? Prison Hill sounds good and saw a you tube video of upper Thomas Creek which looks good as well.

Let me know if youre interested and where you would recommend going first?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have never seen trails as crowded as in the past few days! Nice to chat with other riders from out of town. Now that youíve seen Tahoe, please go home

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, itís crowded in certain places, but Iím still not seeing that many riders on the alpine trails. If youíre riding Tahoe or esp Truckee, ease of access invites crowds.

Itíll be better once folks get back to work.
    GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-e7c03e94-3ce4-446f-9b07-70cd39628412.jpg

Youíre right NB. The higher the less crowded. Looks like Marlette is no longer frozen. Any TRT ride reports?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    TRT Kingsbury to Sierra Canyon is rideable, some very minor walks last Friday, certainly melted out by now, but going up to the bench from Sierra Canyon intersection still has a fair number of walks, and the from the Bench north to Spooner has continuous snow till 8400í elevation.

Iím gonna try to get through from Tahoe Meadows next weekend,?if anyone is interested in some hiking just hollar.

Xd_
    mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTurtle View Post
    I have never seen trails as crowded as in the past few days! Nice to chat with other riders from out of town. Now that youíve seen Tahoe, please go home
    word. same for carson!

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nice to see some trailhead burglars getting nabbed. https://mynews4.com/news/local/two-a...lley-trailhead
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Nice to see some trailhead burglars getting nabbed. https://mynews4.com/news/local/two-a...lley-trailhead
    Yeah, apparently good pickings with all the new people using the trails, since who would leave a purse/wallet in their vehicle at a public trailhead?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Cliff Rock

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno Carson Trail Report Please-6c248dd1-9689-45a9-85d0-2cd20e76000c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Riding has been good this summer, so far this summer I have ridden every section of the bikeable TRT other than the out and back from 267 to Mt Rose Wilderness.

Last weekend I rode Luther to Armstrong with Greg, it was pretty quiet until we got closer to Armstrong, then it was hikers and bikers galore. There were at least twenty people climbing Upper Armstrong, very weird and kind of annoying.

FYI, if you like technical DH, Big Chief is really fun, riding the TRT to Big Chief not so much
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 6 Days Ago at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Riding has been good this summer, so far I have ridden every section of the bikeable TRT other than the out and back from 267 to Mt Rose Wilderness.

Last weekend I rode Luther to Armstrong with Greg, it was pretty quiet until we got closer to Armstrong, then it was hikers and bikers galore. There were at least twenty people climbing Upper Armstrong, very weird and kind of annoying.

FYI, if you like technical DH, Big Chief is really fun, riding the TRT to Big Chief not so much
    How did you do on the Luther Stairs?

Depends where on the TRT, seeing it connects to BC. Gotta start at Martis for full value. Scratch that, you start in Truckee and ride up to Martis TRT to BC and back to your car for full value.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    How did you do on the Luther Stairs?

Depends where on the TRT, seeing it connects to BC. Gotta start at Martis for full value. Scratch that, you start in Truckee and ride up to Martis TRT to BC and back to your car for full value.
    Luther is gradual getting more boney as the trail erodes, still better than riding from Stagecoach to Monument Pass.

Riding from Martis is fine, dusty this time of year, TRT is more interesting, I prefer riding up from Tahoe City.

Itís surprisingly damp in the meadows above Luther, wild flowers still havenít peaked.

Iím looking forward to fall, when the tourists go home and the high country clears out.

Midweek is still pretty traffic free, rode Van Sickle last night and saw one person the way up and a group of four on the way down. Trail is in good shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Luther is gradual getting more boney as the trail erodes, still better than riding from Stagecoach to Monument Pass.

Riding from Martis is fine, dusty this time of year, TRT is more interesting, I prefer riding up from Tahoe City.

Itís surprisingly damp in the meadows above Luther, wild flowers still havenít peaked.

Iím looking forward to fall, when the tourists go home and the high country clears out.

Midweek is still pretty traffic free, rode Van Sickle last night and saw one person the way up and a group of four on the way down. Trail is in good shape.
    The Luther Stairs is south of the highway going towards Round Lake. It will be challenging for a rider that rates Ophir Creek unridable, but gravity helps a lot. If you did all the bike-able TRT, you rode it in both directions. See Trailforks.

TRT from Martis is the goods, wouldnít reco any other way from there to BC but I have bailed a time or two into upper Brockway section while heading up the demoralizing pavement climb. Agree, starting farther down at Brockway Summit itís kind of a slog to Big Chief.

I have noticed increased traffic on the trails this year but have managed to avoid crowds. A bike bell that rings freely is the ticket, I finally got with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thereís great riding to be had, cool nights, big moon, sessioning Centennial last night with my dog was fun, up and down Pale Rider and Wild Horse with no dabs.

This weekend my daughter is in town, trying to work something big in my ride while entertaining her, maybe Tahoe Meadows to Marlett Peak.

Have fun out there!

Edit: if you havenít checked out Big Chief, hereís a couple pics to tantalize you:

This line is kinda committed, you start from viewers left and roll down the boulder, it's a flattish run out so go slow, then rolll out the other side up the stacked rocks on the flat boulder at viewers right, then it's a ~4' flat drop out the other side. This is on the lower end of Big Chief.

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-679925d9-d003-4be6-af56-452bf8f960f5.jpeg

On Upper Bg Chief there are some pretty bumpy scree fields, so the builders constructed a very cool "paved" path, apparently it was the most time intensive trail section.

This is a view looking toward Alpine/Squaw.

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-1b2422a3-20a2-473e-a17a-fb80b07d73f6.jpeg

Here's the paved trail:

Name:  pave.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  145.2 KB
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 1 Day Ago at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    South from Spooner to the Bench, then dropped down Sierra Canyon to Genoa. Only encountered two hikers and two bikers on the TRT and two hikers on Sierra Canyon. Trails are in great shape, Sierra is kinda chundery through the scree fields, but fast and fun otherwise. Still a few seeps on the lower third of Sierra and the creek is running strong.

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-1a70390f-8de1-4041-a9d6-0ce1efb74ad0.jpeg

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-c61513da-6abc-4393-b7b7-35b27d09f6bc.jpegRide TRT

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123