Reno Carson Trail Report Please - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm gonna ride tomorrow during the day, up Kings or something like that.

It's too bad there aren't more trails on the sunny side of the valley; trails that don't close when the weather gets cold.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I'm gonna ride tomorrow during the day, up Kings or something like that.

It's too bad there aren't more trails on the sunny side of the valley; trails that don't close when the weather gets cold.
    I ended up riding Clear Creek Thursday, Peavine Friday and Saturday. Insane wind on Friday but a great morning Saturday.

Peavine seems like it would be rideable all winter long if you had enough fat bike traffic. I actually rode it a couple years ago when we were there for Christmas on a regular 29 and made it to the snowboard bench (breaking ground most of the way).

The Salt Lake area has gotten to the point where we have enough fat bike people that our "peavine" type area is groomed all winter long.

And by the way, Peavine was really pretty impressive last week - someone is putting in a lot of work out there.

Thanks for the tips on where to go last week.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Braking components for the MTB industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The problem with this area vs SLC is the we get a lot of freeze-thaw and some really warm winter days, so the snow turns to mush, then freezes, so it's very hard to establish a base that stays rideable. Perhaps in Tahoe/Truckee, which is where they already have some trails maintained for snow bikes....

I came from WA state, where we had the snow and the cold to groom trails, but it was still hard to keep up the tracks. I thought about grooming snow trails here, then rode fat last winter and realized the complications.

Just better off building trails that remain snow free, out of the tree line, southern exposure, etc... like Prison Hill, Centennial, Goni, Pinion, all of which need more trail building love to become winter destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I ended up riding Clear Creek Thursday, Peavine Friday and Saturday. Insane wind on Friday but a great morning Saturday.

Peavine seems like it would be rideable all winter long if you had enough fat bike traffic. I actually rode it a couple years ago when we were there for Christmas on a regular 29 and made it to the snowboard bench (breaking ground most of the way).

The Salt Lake area has gotten to the point where we have enough fat bike people that our "peavine" type area is groomed all winter long.

And by the way, Peavine was really pretty impressive last week - someone is putting in a lot of work out there.

Thanks for the tips on where to go last week.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode up Clear Creek to the Knob yesterday, it is passable, thin snow mostly covering the trail for the last couple miles, patchy snow in the tree line and shady corners, was melting fast yesterday, definitely worth riding. Drop tire pressure and avoid riding through puddles.

I suspect itís rideable from the golf course interchange, though the snow will be deeper the further up you go, lots of foot and bike traffic have compacted the snow.

I suspect Pine Nuts is in excellent shape, worth the drive if you have the time.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Most Delicious
    Where are you riding on the Pine Nuts side?

Short-Change-Hero
    Heard that Centennial is supposed to be awesome right now too. New Conner's Trail (can't remember what the final name is) is supposed to be great little addition.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    It's perfect over on this side of the valley, snow has been gone for a week, my backyard trails are similar in orientation to Centennial, I never stopped riding, the snow was thin and road well, now it's hero dirt.

We rode Clear Creek on Sunday, still a little snow up high, slushy late in the day, but all rideable.

The trails should be awesome for Xmas!

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Heard that Centennial is supposed to be awesome right now too. New Conner's Trail (can't remember what the final name is) is supposed to be great little addition.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How's Peavine riding this week? Supposed to be mid 50s on Thu, worth the drive from NLT?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    How's Peavine riding this week? Supposed to be mid 50s on Thu, worth the drive from NLT?
    Iíve heard Blite, Crispy Bacon and Bacon Strip are mostly fine. So are Keystone and Evans Canyon. Anything north facing is still snowy/icy/muddy. So avoid Total Recall, Lingles, Colpo Canyon, Bobsled etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    Iíve heard Blite, Crispy Bacon and Bacon Strip are mostly fine. So are Keystone and Evans Canyon. Anything north facing is still snowy/icy/muddy. So avoid Total Recall, Lingles, Colpo Canyon, Bobsled etc.

This... take a look at the Biggest Little Trail Stewardships (previously PoeDunk) social media as they have all the info on there. Basically they were saying that everything south facing was pretty good to go aside from small parts here and there. They were warning people to stay off all north facing stuff as they had been getting reports of people riding the muddy, nasty sections and causing trail damage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Prison Hill is close to snow free on the north facing slope, what snow or ice you'd encounter is gonna be thin and patchy.

Beautiful weather, a little Indian summer, get it before it's gone... next week winter returns.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This... take a look at the Biggest Little Trail Stewardships (previously PoeDunk) social media as they have all the info on there.
    Thanks, didn't know the Poedunks had changed their name & website

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trails above WNCC are completely clear, trail along the creek from Ash Canyon trailhead has snow in places. Ash to Kings is snow covered, freeze thaw made it pretty slick.

Prison Hill is snow free.

Hero dirt abounds!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Trails above WNCC are 99% snow free to the Ash TH, best to ride when the ground is frozen to avoid mashing wet soils and causing ruts; ie frost heave.

Prison Hill Escape route should be rideable, only the north side holds snow long, Iíll go ride it this weekend and report back; or you guys go ride it and do the same

Anyone been up Clear Creek the past day? I suspect itís mucky, so best ride before it thaws to avoid trail damage.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... well so much for riding anytime soon unless you like fatbiking or find a trail with less snow on it. This storm dumped some serious snow and the next one coming this weekend is supposed to be similar. Probably have a good 6" sitting on top of my Land Cruiser from yesterday and today alone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Worse yet, the heavy rain saturated the soils, then the temps dropped, think frozen sponge covered with 6-12Ē of snow, not looking so good right now. Iím packing my backyard trails by walking and snow shoe, should be rideable in the next day if you like snow biking. Once the snow is packed, a plus tire gives plenty of support and traction.

Ridevthevtrails while theyíre frozen to protect from retail damage.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    So, I'm both sad and happy and sad about the last few weeks of snow. No trails are open and the roads are impassable on a road bike. But, This proves I timed my hernia surgery perfectly. I'm starting my 2nd week of recovery.

I'm sad I'm not cleared to get on my trainer yet. I'm happy we are getting the moisture we need. And I'm sad all of you, my friends, are off your bikes along with me.

My prayers include a quick and complete recovery from my surgery for myself and perfect weather for riding for the rest of the year. (Now that we have enough snow)

Cheers everyone
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The snow last week was so dry that it wouldnít pack until the temps warmed up, but this last snow fall was a little wetter, packed down fine after a couple passes with snow shoes, rode this afternoon on plus tires aired down and it didnít suck.

Iím missing my fat bike right about now...
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah stuff up in Tahoe is nice consistency and packs down pretty easily. Wife and I spent the weekend at the family cabin in Kings Beach. Got there Friday afternoon to spend 3hours shoveling/blowing snow from driveway and porch. Had probably 12" at that point. Shoveled a bunch after snow shoeing on Saturday afternoon, maybe 5" total all day, then the night came and the heavy snow fall started. Woke up yesterday morning to at least 18" on the driveway, more on the vehicles and another good 3hrs of shoveling, snow blowing and pushing people out of drifts and low spots. 10am was the first time (and only time) the plows hit the residential neighborhoods and did a pretty crap job at that.
    Was definitely entertaining to see people hall ballz up the hill to get past the snow in their cars and low clearance SUVs.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... well after these last two storms, it is going to be a while before we see dirt again. Went by the cabin last night to check on things and there was another 6"+ even after all the heavy rain yesterday and warmer temps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The dirt is back!

Centennial is dry and firm, I suspect Prison Hill is dry all the way around (Iíll be checking on that shortly), above the college is snow free though the typical places will stay damp for a bit.

We have some precip coming, but no more than a half inch, and with temps above freezing itíll drain and dry fast.

Shaded trails are snow covered, so itíll be a while for Upper Clear Creek and Ash to King.

If you like to ride your mountain bike in the winter, then voice you opinions to Pedal Power, tell them to stop focusing on trails that are snow covered for half the year. We need trails built at Centennial and to the west (Goni), even Dayton or down south would be good.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thanks Ben. How was Prison Hill? I'm working near Pinon next week and wonder how that is.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Everything on the east side of Carson is pretty firm, I suspect Ponion is good, Prison Hill is good. Today we rode all over Centenial and it was great, but the wind was fierce, fourteen miles round trip from my house in Goni, out to the big hill above Centennial, down a wicked old ORV track, up and down Connors trail, out the main trail to the RR tracks, then up to the original pirate trails, over to the Gully Trail, then back to Goni.

Taken from the hill above Centennial Park, hike a bike
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-0736234e-4954-43f7-96c7-f3a426984ede.jpg

Out by the original pirate trails
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-dc6c565c-b17c-4ec1-8935-7354e57a3632.jpg
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Let's ride this weekend!

Lots of good riding to be had at Pinenuts, Centennial, Goni, Prison Hill.

Call Ben for a good time
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Im headed to the coast for work, but pinyon was great today!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice pis, thanks, I'll be out there with my wife this weekend.

Where are you riding on the coast?

I'll be riding in St George next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd View Post
    Im headed to the coast for work, but pinyon was great today!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Valley trails are drying out, warm weather is here!

Ride Goni yesterday, heading to Pinenuts at noon.

Sunday I might ride above the college or see how far I can get up Kings Canyon.

Send a PM if you wanna ride
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup rode lower ash last night and things are pretty good and clean. Buddy did all of evidence and 4-day (switchback) and said that other than a few muddy areas everything was pretty clear.
    I did not ride 7step to Vicee (north side of lowest part) as it usually is still in shadow this time of year. Will check it out next week though.
    Heading out to Centennial at 2pm today with buddies. Gotta get the cobbwebs out of the legs before I start hitting the road to train the climbs.

Tminus 2wks for new bike (hopefully sooner)!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So about Pinenuts ... it's not exactly dry, some mud bogs on the north facing side, still patches of snow, some seeps. Iíd say wait a week and itíll be drier, for sure a couple weeks without significant precipitation and itíll be golden:
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 03-16-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Centennial is prime dirt. Lots of fun out there right now, some of the west to east trails are rutted out with some of the water drainage but you can easily ride around the worst section of those trails. Been almost a year since I have been out there and they are fun trails when dry and a bit tacky/packed like this. Normally once things warm up they get completely blown out but today was lots of fun.

Don't Tread on Me
    Clear Creek was excellent but I only rode to the snow drifts and the beginning of some substantial hike a bike. I watched as a few trudged on through the snow probably intent on getting to the lookout. There were lots of hikers and cyclists out enjoying the sunshine.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Clear Creek was excellent but I only rode to the snow drifts and the beginning of some substantial hike a bike. I watched as a few trudged on through the snow probably intent on getting to the lookout. There were lots of hikers and cyclists out enjoying the sunshine.
    Yeah there were tons of people showing up at Centennial while we were there. Kinda sucks because now it is becoming a more well known trail system but people don't understand (at least last I knew) that the system is completely unsanctioned and on BLM land. Carson City and Muscle Powered were attempting to purchase the land so that we could easily and officially go out there for trail maintenance (some sections need it from drainage/watershed) but I have not heard about it going through.

Since it is pretty much the only decent sized trail system dry within 50 miles of Reno/Sparks there are more and more people coming. While yesterday was prime dirt, at this rate that will not last long. Probably saw at least 20 riders out there when we were there yesterday between 2 and 4pm. Read that there were other groups out as well (locals) and then saw it posted all over the Reno riding Facebook page with lots of people asking how to get to it and what to ride (as nothing really shows up on Trailforks or MTB Project).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    More demand should lead to more trail development .... at least in theory.

I know there are more trails are in the plan, but the plan don't mean much until it starts getting done.

As much as I appreciate the local trail group, the only significant trail building has been done by the folks in the lower carson valley.

... and if they don't start building trails, they will end up with more pirate trails, it's happened in the past and it's happened recently.

I'd also add that unless some of the trails include features, jump lines, etc... then those features will get built illegally elsewhere.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    More demand should lead to more trail development .... at least in theory.

I know there are more trails are in the plan, but the plan don't mean much until it starts getting done.

As much as I appreciate the local trail group, the only significant trail building has been done by the folks in the lower carson valley.

... and if they don't start building trails, they will end up with more pirate trails, it's happened in the past and it's happened recently.

I'd also add that unless some of the trails include features, jump lines, etc... then those features will get built illegally elsewhere.
    Right... I did talk with Jen and got a better idea of what is sanctioned/legal trails out there and what is not. Pretty much it seems to be half and half as when I rode out there on Sunday there were a lot of new trails that I did not remember from last year. As long as the trail is known by BLM (considered a blue line on the GIS map of carson) then it is a sanctioned trail and legal to work on and maintain.

Anyways, we may have to see about getting a gang together to go out there and do some trail maintenance. The main downhill track I rode from the NW side of the trails was seriously rutted out from drainage. Needs some work in other areas too but not sure if that was on BLM land or City land.

Don't Tread on Me
    So I spent the afternoon at Centennial. The trail is torn up badly in a few spots. It looks like there must have been an episode of heavy run-off on the "First Climb" segment and in some other places on Freedom Loop. The mud in the upper north facing bits is completely dried up. Overall a banner day with warm temps and very little wind,

The "new trail" is getting bedded in quite well and is in very good condition. I don't really like the the new trail that much. It seems very "busy". But I must give kudos to its sustainability and engineering (except that spot about half way up that grabs my chainring almost every time).

I like the challenge of the first "Z" on the climb. I haven't cleared it yet. Anybody else clean that spot?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Pineapple Express last month tore up a lot of trails, the worst hit are the pirate trails that were poorly designed with straight shots down the fall line. These trails really should be rerouted to avoid becoming double tracked as folks ride the edges to avoid the eroded gullies.

The new trail is great, one of the few purpose built tech trails in the area, all moves are rideable, some of the moves take practice, doing repeats will help. I clean the trail no problem but Iím used to that kind of riding.

After riding at Centennial yesterday I rode the Jeep trails back to my house in Goni, man, thatís where we need a trail, some of those roads are rough and steep!

There are plans for trail development, but sadly the trail building is slow to fruition.

On Saturday we rode Clear Creek, got within a half mile of the knob before the snow was too much to ride. Next weekend, barring any new snow, it could be rideable to the knob; for sure in two weeks.

Anyone tried poking up Ash to King or King to Ash?

I think weíre doing a longish XC ride next weekend, might try to get up Kings to the pass, probably snowy up high, will post deets ...

If anyone is heading toward SLC, be sure to check out Bloody Shins in Winnemucca, great XC trails, very quiet, Iíd suggest counterclockwise toward Fence Line, then work toward Giants.

So I spent the afternoon at Centennial. The trail is torn up badly in a few spots. It looks like there must have been an episode of heavy run-off on the "First Climb" segment and in some other places on Freedom Loop. The mud in the upper north facing bits is completely dried up. Overall a banner day with warm temps and very little wind,

The "new trail" is getting bedded in quite well and is in very good condition. I don't really like the the new trail that much. It seems very "busy". But I must give kudos to its sustainability and engineering (except that spot about half way up that grabs my chainring almost every time).

I like the challenge of the first "Z" on the climb. I haven't cleared it yet. Anybody else clean that spot?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Peavine is pretty good shape with the usual early season wet and snow spots. Poedunk, snow terraces, Bacon Strip and B-lite were mostly good. Some mud on the snow terraces and Bacon is snow free until the last 75 yards to the upper bench. Scrub brush is snowed in but it looked like people had been riding the dirt road down to Colpo Canyon or taking Over Easy. I went back down Bacon so didnít get over to the lower bench but I suspect itís wet and muddy still.

Keystone Canyon proper is rideable but the water is flowing in some sections (it is a creek bed after all). Evans Canyon is in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Reno Carson Trail Report Please

Clear Creek is rideable to The Knob. Take it easy coming down - there'll be a lot of trail users out this weekend and 7 miles won't be enough for all of them.

If you can't ride the trail without skidding or can't stay on the trail, please ride somewhere else. The trail will still be wet Saturday but will probably be mostly dry by Sunday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Anyone been up to the Clear Creek access at the golf course? Iím sure itís snowy, just wonder if itís worth the slog ďyetĒ.

Thinking about riding up Kings tomorrow, see how far we can go before hitting snow, then wrap around to C hill.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    Echoing Jonesjus assessment of Peavine. I felt the trails were in excellent shape for the most part. There are still some snow patches at the highest reaches and a few sections are rutted out from runoff, but all the lower stuff is good to great.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Echoing Jonesjus assessment of Peavine. I felt the trails were in excellent shape for the most part. There are still some snow patches at the highest reaches and a few sections are rutted out from runoff, but all the lower stuff is good to great.
    Got up there today and would agree entirely

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode up Kings Canyon the the trail head, snow free on the road to the TH, then snow covered for 50 yds is the road past the TH.

Rode up the trail, dud four short snow hikes, nice riding, got all the way to the first major gully at ~3/4 mile, at this point the trail was snow covered for a few hundred yards, so we headed back.

Went down the road and cut over to C Hill, it was really windy, but the trails were in good shape.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    Whites Creek Trail system?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Whites Creek Trail system?
    Iím 100 percent guessing but I bet most of it is rideable with the exception of Dry Pond to Whites Creek. That North side, especially between the pond and 1st switchback, holds snow for a long time.

You should recon it and let us know!

Short-Change-Hero
    North side of Ash to Kings is starting to melt off. Buddy rode up there this weekend and said he only hit a few small drifts on the trail. Made it up to Dog Bowl (abouts) before he had to turn around due to time constraints. So looks like we may be able to fully ride Ash to Kings within the next few weeks, especially if the warming trend keeps happening.

Outside of that all of Ash canyon is open. Rode Creek Trail last Friday and it was absolutely sick dirt! Zero snow and everything is nice, packed and tacky currently.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    North side of Ash to Kings is starting to melt off. Buddy rode up there this weekend and said he only hit a few small drifts on the trail. Made it up to Dog Bowl (abouts) before he had to turn around due to time constraints. So looks like we may be able to fully ride Ash to Kings within the next few weeks, especially if the warming trend keeps happening.

Outside of that all of Ash canyon is open. Rode Creek Trail last Friday and it was absolutely sick dirt! Zero snow and everything is nice, packed and tacky currently.
    I rode in from Kings the week before and the drifts are deep, so a couple weeks is probably optimistic unless you don't mind hiking.

I'd gladly entertain a little ride/hike a bike this weekend on Ash to Kings or Kings to Ash...

Also willing to ride into Clear Creek from the connector.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    EZ Trail to Kings is good. The connector from Kings to the top is good with just 5 little hike a bikes. The connector going north from the top has lots of snow remaining.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice. Saw someone post on Facebook that up to the kiosk is pretty good. Fireroad is good for about 2 miles past that and then you start hitting snow (about 6100' from what poster was saying). Gotta start doing the road climb to train for the race.

Don't Tread on Me
    It was cold up there. 60's in Carson and low 40's at the snow line. I see a few riders did did the entire connector today. (Strava ride by's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Awesome, Iím heading to the Clear Connector tonight, might lap it from Jacks if I get the irrigation up and running 🙄
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Anyone know how far up Clear Creek you can get? Is it clear up to Spooner?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The trail is 99% clear from the Connector at teh golf course to Jacks valley, a couple ride around snow patches and one 100' walk at the junction for the climbing trail to Spooner.

Looking up the climbing trail, it's snow free on the side facing Clear Creek, but the snow level is right there, so expect significnat snow on all north facing and shaded slopes.

It's certainly worth riding in from the Connector and probing up the climbing trail, but don't expect much.

Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Anyone know how far up Clear Creek you can get? Is it clear up to Spooner?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Jacks Valley thru to the Hwy 50 connector trailhead (golf course area) should be rideable later today or Wednesday. Still may get your feet wet near the creek for a few more days.

Heading up from Clear Creek Junction towards Spooner Summit is a waste of time. You'll hit a 3' wall of snow right at the bridge. I'm sure the sun exposed sections above that might be good for another thousand feet elevation but anything in the Clear Creek drainage (a lot) is going to take quite a while yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H View Post
    Jacks Valley thru to the Hwy 50 connector trailhead (golf course area) should be rideable later today or Wednesday. Still may get your feet wet near the creek for a few more days.

Heading up from Clear Creek Junction towards Spooner Summit is a waste of time. You'll hit a 3' wall of snow right at the bridge. I'm sure the sun exposed sections above that might be good for another thousand feet elevation but anything in the Clear Creek drainage (a lot) is going to take quite a while yet.
    Not at the bridge, you can ride up the trail toward Spooner for the first few switchbacks, it's just when you get into the shade and climb a bit that you hit snow.

On the south side there is the normal snow hike at the creek (bridge), runs about 75' and then it's all good from there.

Riding up Ash tonight, might hike a bit for giggles.

Anyone remember when Ash to King was rideable last year?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    I don't remember riding Ash to Kings until maybe Mid-May? Looking at my strava it looks like I did a couple rides where we went to about a mile or two in from the Kings Kiosk but don't see anything past that at this point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wonder if the dirt will be any good at Pine Nut. I've been there after storms in the past expecting that I could ride. Sometimes it's good but a few times I've ridden just a few feet before the tires are so clogged up with mud I had to carry my bike back to the road.

As far as knowing the best routes, I've ridden 20 times out there including 5 or 6 races and I get lost every time I'm there, (including the last time I raced). I'm thinking if you can't find a local guide, your best bet is to explore and have fun.
    Dry as a bone, been snow free for weeks out there.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So I rode out from Pooh Corner to Ash TH, got well past the dogbowl with only one short snow hike, things are melting amzingly fast, only though I have is teh snow was early so it's melting sooner ...

I doubt the snow on either side of the waterfall will be melted out yet as it's pretty shady back in the corners, but a little walking never hurt.

I'm gonna ride the whole thing on Friday, anyone wanna play in the snow with me?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sure Clear Creek is rideable from Jack's to the golf course. No snow to hike on or around.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I rode CC on Sunday. A few hike a bike sections about a mile or so after the Knob, then one bigger one at the creek (as expected). For giggles, I tried to go up at the Spooner junction, made the the first few turns but at the next upper bridge it was a no go - too much to even hike through. I was able to go to Old CC Road and then to 50 at the golf course exit, so about 20 miles total. I heard someone did some work on the snow patches around the creek crossing and bridge so looking forward to that this weekend

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by B R H View Post
    I'm sure Clear Creek is rideable from Jack's to the golf course. No snow to hike on or around.
    Yup, already did that last weekend, it's snow free other than a short piece at the creek.

Riding it again tonight, such a nice trail to shuttle, still get a bit of climbing, lots of cruising, great after work ride when you don't want to work too hard

Tomorrow or Saturday I'm riding through Ash to King, hiking the snow, will report back on the extent of the hiking...
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    The Whites Creek Trail system is not snow free yet. But I did ride up Thomas Creek to where the creek runs over the road (half way from the pond loop "T" to the wilderness). Thomas Creek "T" to the pond is mostly ride-able until the last switchback to the summit. That whole section is one snow patch after another. The White's Creek section west of the White's Creek "T" is ride-able for about .7 mile but that whole section has water rolling down the road and again never made it to the wilderness. The rest of the trail is in pretty good shape.

Short-Change-Hero
    Heard from Ben and one other rider that Ash to Kings is completely clear. Let the loops commence!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, snow is melting really fast, strangely we arenít flooding ďyetĒ.

Time to start pushing up the trail to Spooner and Sierra Canyon. Good times, let the burn commence!!

Heard from Ben and one other rider that Ash to Kings is completely clear. Let the loops commence!!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup, snow is melting really fast, strangely we arenít flooding ďyetĒ.

Time to start pushing up the trail to Spooner and Sierra Canyon. Good times, let the burn commence!!
    LOL... yup. Going to start training rides for the race doing Kings Canyon road. That ride sucks but is a necessity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    LOL... yup. Going to start training rides for the race doing Kings Canyon road. That ride sucks but is a necessity.
    Are you talking about up the dirt road? Another good one is up Goni. Lapping Clear Creek is always good, do a couple of those and you'd be fit
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Talking just doing the climb from town to the Kiosk. That has been the race route for the Fun-15 last few years so no better climb. Otherwise yes, once the snow is cleared out the climb from Jacks Valley up to Spooner, or from Golf Course to Spooner then back down to Jacks Valley is best climb around. Never done the Goni climb on a bike, in my Land Cruiser, yes but not on a bike, more exposed than anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Whites Creek Trail system is not snow free yet. But I did ride up Thomas Creek to where the creek runs over the road (half way from the pond loop "T" to the wilderness). Thomas Creek "T" to the pond is mostly ride-able until the last switchback to the summit. That whole section is one snow patch after another. The White's Creek section west of the White's Creek "T" is ride-able for about .7 mile but that whole section has water rolling down the road and again never made it to the wilderness. The rest of the trail is in pretty good shape.
    That's exactly correct. I rode up Thomas Creek yesterday and went past the first bridge, crossed the creek (thought there would be more water flowing) and went up the road. Once I the road it the trail, it was all snow. I turned around and went up North side to Dry Pond. It was fine but after last switchback there were several patches of now. Still was able to make it to top. Going downhill all the way to parking lot on Thomas Creek trail was awesome! Can't wait until I can go all the way up Thomas to the Mt. Rose Wilderness turnaround.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by cgnreno View Post
    Can't wait until I can go all the way up Thomas to the Mt. Rose Wilderness turnaround.
    Is there an extension that takes you up the mountain? I believe my brother has told me of one that was part of the "blood rose" enduro race years ago but wasn't sure if there was still trail there..

Short-Change-Hero
    With Mother Nature being off her rocker the last couple weeks with this weather the Ash to Kings trail has been awesome (aside from the constant 360* wind)! Couple things to note is that there are rocks that I don't remember being part of the trail last year that have "materialized" that add a bit of tech out there...

One descending switchback from Kings side after reaching the top now has a large, pointed rock right in the middle of the switchback. This makes for interesting "threading" as it is easiest for front wheel to go to the outside and rear to go inside, however the trail has gotten quite gravely and loose right after so be sure to stay inside.

One of the "rollovers" about halfway through the connector has been washed out on the north facing side. You don't notice this till you are on top of the rock to best to just lift front wheel when going over it or keep right. Had a bit of a rodeo with an almost OTB last night while riding it in the wind because I had forgotten about it and it will suck your wheel right up if you are not aware.

Other than that, the trail hasn't had much runoff damage or anything and is packed down well. Going to be interesting over the next month as it starts to see more traffic from people training for the EPIC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Clear Creek extension from the connector toward Spooner is snow free to the lookout and a bit beyond, dirt is hero, only a few tracks, looks like trail work has been done, great ride ... I only wish they hadnít dumbed it down so much, very XC.

I suspect there are deep pockets of snow in the shaded north facing slopes, but itíd be a fun time probing from above or below. Im thinking itíll be clear by the end of the month.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    The Clear Creek extension from the connector toward Spooner is snow free to the lookout and a bit beyond, dirt is hero, only a few tracks, looks like trail work has been done, great ride ... I only wish they hadnít dumbed it down so much, very XC.

I suspect there are deep pockets of snow in the shaded north facing slopes, but itíd be a fun time probing from above or below. Im thinking itíll be clear by the end of the month.
    Yeah drove up by there yesterday and with the small bit of rain we have had the snow has been melting pretty quickly. Few deep, shaded sections are where we will probably find the snow patches.

Definitely going to have to get out there soon to do a test run.

Don't Tread on Me
    I was up there a week ago Saturday. The connector is clear for about a mile past the lookout. Someone has done a good job of shoveling through several of the snow drifts. But the trail ended at spot (North facing} where the snow drift stretched out as far as I could see. A couple was hiking their bikes downhill at the spot and described that they had hiked through the snow for 10 minutes and decided to quit when the snow got knee deep.

mtbr member
    I was up there a week ago Saturday. The connector is clear for about a mile past the lookout. Someone has done a good job of shoveling through several of the snow drifts. But the trail ended at spot (North facing} where the snow drift stretched out as far as I could see. A couple was hiking their bikes downhill at the spot and described that they had hiked through the snow for 10 minutes and decided to quit when the snow got knee deep.
    Really? I heard from a few people that the trail was clear all the way to Spooner (before these last storms rolled in at least) Was hoping to get a top to bottom run on Monday but not sure with all of the current weather. Where did spring go??

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jhill View Post
    Really? I heard from a few people that the trail was clear all the way to Spooner (before these last storms rolled in at least) Was hoping to get a top to bottom run on Monday but not sure with all of the current weather. Where did spring go??
    Not all the way to Spooner, but definitely all the way to the lookout rock just above the "slow down" sign.

I'll try to get up there on Saturday and ride down from Spooner, snow is fine, I don't mind the hiking as long as I'm dressed for it.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Sweet, let me know how it is! I'm down to hike a little as long as majority is rideable. Should be hero dirt with the recent moisture.

NedwannaB
    Not all the way to Spooner, but definitely all the way to the lookout rock just above the "slow down" sign.

I'll try to get up there on Saturday and ride down from Spooner, snow is fine, I don't mind the hiking as long as I'm dressed for it.
    IIRC that's about the halfway point thats the outcrop overlook that the trail progress ended last year. Lots of tree cover and Northfacing sections above to get to Spooner. Cant wait to get up that way to ride area in a couple months.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    On Friday we shuttled Clear Creek from Spooner Summit TRT parking lot to Jacks Valley. Probably a dozen snow hikes, nothing longer than fifty feet, met a couple coming up the hill, also talked to a guy with a shovel sticking out of his pack ... he was going up to shovel snow!

Shuttling it again this afternoon and probing the TRT south toward the bench.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

NedwannaB
    On Friday we shuttled Clear Creek from Spooner Summit TRT parking lot to Jacks Valley. Probably a dozen snow hikes, nothing longer than fifty feet, met a couple coming up the hill, also talked to a guy with a shovel sticking out of his pack ... he was going up to shovel snow!

Shuttling it again this afternoon and probing the TRT south toward the bench.
    Really. Spooner towards bench is starting to open? right on. I thought they had some new snow over the weekend.

mtbr member
    Shuttled on Monday, top did have a few snow drifts but all of the hero dirt and not seeing a single person above the viewpoint made it well worth it. Now for more stuff to melt please!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Really. Spooner towards bench is starting to open? right on. I thought they had some new snow over the weekend.
    The snow is thinning quickly, really depends on aspect and shade, this time of year it's probing upward till you get tired of walking snow.

Also I heard that Corral is good and Lower Armstrong is good.

There really wasn't any new snow per se, maybe a little stuck to the old snow, but there was no new accumulation on dirt.

Warm this week, next weekend should be amazing!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup heard that Lower Corral is completely open, Upper supposedly had some spots of snow here and there but that was as of a week or so ago.

Buddy rode Van Sickle last night, said it is 95% open with a few hike a bikes. Will be interesting to see what the next couple weeks does weatherwise. Looks like we got a small storm coming in end of week but temps are going to warm up with intermittent overcast. No other storms predicted at this point so we will see. T-Minus 4 weeks to race time.

L1MEY
    I rode Clear Creek up to Spooner and back this afternoon and it's all clear except for one snow drift that's about 30ft long. If you head up there, watch out for the couple of mud pits past the snow. There is one that is deeper than it looks... I really wished I had a fender :/
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Don't Tread on Me
    Saturday is the Carson City Epic pre-ride and demo day at the Ash Canyon trail head at 1999 Foothill. See you there people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-e31a5b7b-81a4-4450-a1b3-8334cb0acf0c.jpeg

Rode up Genoa Trail to Sierra, topped out at the TRT.

Sierra Canyon is snow free until the switchbacks just below the TRT, there are a few snow patches in the last 1/4 mile on the switchbacks, longest is twenty feet.

At the intersection with the TRT it is snow covered, itíll be a bit until the TRT is totally snow free as much of that section is tree shaded and northern exposure.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    TFPU, Ben. Sounds like Spooner to Sierra Cyn is not ready yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I took gotten off for the original dates of the Carson City Offroad but with the date changes I won't be doing the event. Any chance parts of the TRT will be rideable that weekend? Would really like to do the Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek section. Also any sites with good info on gravel trails in the area?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's a decent chance you'll be able to ride TRT from Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek in 2-3 weeks. There's also a pretty good chance there will be at least a few patches of snow left, especially around Tahoe Meadows. The climb on TRT south of Tunnel Creek will likely still have more significant patches of snow but The Flume Trail is likely nearly snow free right now.

Short-Change-Hero
    Believe my friends wife was up at the meadows this weekend with some girlfriends and from the looks of the pics it was still quite packed with snow. When I was there at the end of March the drift on the side of the road was still about 8-10' tall and the slope into the meadow was very gradual. I am sure there has been a decent amount that has melted off but higher elevations still have a decent amount of snow.

Two weeks to ride the TRT/Flume/Meadows is gonna be tight however we do have a warm spell coming this week and next so it will be interesting to see what happens.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    As others have said, Meadows to Tunnel Creek is going to be iffy. From what I hear, you canít even get up to the Flume on Tunnel Creek from Incline yet. Typically people start climbing the TRT from that end (Tunnel Creek) long before you can get in from the meadows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to just see what comes and have a backup plan.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Laekon View Post
    I took gotten off for the original dates of the Carson City Offroad but with the date changes I won't be doing the event. Any chance parts of the TRT will be rideable that weekend? Would really like to do the Tahoe Meadows to Tunnel Creek section. Also any sites with good info on gravel trails in the area?
    You have nearly four weeks, I'd say there's a good chance the Meadows to the Flume will be open, but if it's not then for sure you'll be able to ride to the Bench/Sierra, possibly the TRT out by Northstar, all of Tahoe Donner will be good, Donner Rim Trail should be fine.

Melt out acceplerates as things warm up, we're looking at eighties and near ninety the next week, snow can't stick around for long with that kind of heat. Plus, a little snow hiking never hurt anyone

Just watch for updates on the TRT website and here
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode up Stinger to the TRT, connected to Daggert Loop, back to the TRT, then connected to Van Sickle. 15 miles/4.5k climbing. No snow on the trail, a couple small patches off to the side, but really no significant snow. Things are melting really fast, kinda wonder how the TRT is from Spooner to the Bench.

Really nice day 👍

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-875f1557-491a-4c55-9840-c7c62c269ece.jpgReno Carson Trail Report Please-0a9fa53a-4871-428b-8149-72e08479cd13.jpg
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Rode up Stinger to the TRT, connected to Daggert Loop, back to the TRT, then connected to Van Sickle. 15 miles/4.5k climbing. No snow on the trail, a couple small patches off to the side, but really no significant snow. Things are melting really fast, kinda wonder how the TRT is from Spooner to the Bench.

Really nice day 👍

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	875F1557-491A-4C55-9840-C7C62C269ECE.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	509.9 KB 
ID:	1256433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A9FA53A-4871-428B-8149-72E08479CD13.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	540.0 KB 
ID:	1256435
    Glad to see that bumblebee finally got a little trail love other than your backyard!

Stoked that this is open now, wonder if meadows is open all the way across to spooner? Couple friends rode Corral/Powerline/Sidewinder this weekend and looks to be open all the way. With this new warm spell hitting us (moving to the 90s quickly) I am sure everything will start melting down quickly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My new springs get here tomorrow night, supposed to be hot, might ride to the Bench from Spooner on Wednesday or Thursday after work .... anyone?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    My new springs get here tomorrow night, supposed to be hot, might ride to the Bench from Spooner on Wednesday or Thursday after work .... anyone?
    May try and join you Thursday. Got softball tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode south on the TRT from Spooner, hit snow banks at the vista trail ~3 miles from the trail head, snow patches were 3-4í deep, not complete coverage, but thatís still pretty low elevation, weíll before the shaded slopes leading up to the bench.

Itíll melt fast, but itís not ready yet unless you like walking ...
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    Spooner going North is open and snow free until the crest of North Canyon Road. At the crest there is a lot of snow. There are substantial drifts completely covering the road going down to Marlette. The road around the west side of Marlette still has of snow completely covering the road at the south end. Snow drifts that can be ridden around are numerous as you head toward the Flume Trail but the Flume Trail itself is snow free. Up Tunnel Creek has large drifts that you can ride around. Snapdragon Trail has more snow than trail exposed until 2/3 of the way down. Below that Red House and below are open and snow free.

Short-Change-Hero
    Spooner going North is open and snow free until the crest of North Canyon Road. At the crest there is a lot of snow. There are substantial drifts completely covering the road going down to Marlette. The road around the west side of Marlette still has of snow completely covering the road at the south end. Snow drifts that can be ridden around are numerous as you head toward the Flume Trail but the Flume Trail itself is snow free. Up Tunnel Creek has large drifts that you can ride around. Snapdragon Trail has more snow than trail exposed until 2/3 of the way down. Below that Red House and below are open and snow free.
    That is the funniest part as that this part of the new re-route for the Epic this year for the 30 and 50... RUTROW RAGGY!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There was also a tree down on the upper part of Snapdragon... not rideable

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by LBG Reno View Post
    There was also a tree down on the upper part of Snapdragon... not rideable

I am sure that they are going to be going out to do some trail maintenance but thought it was interesting that they re-routed to SnapDragon as I had heard that some of the high elevation trails still had big patches. We got a little over a weeks worth of warm weather to take care of that but I highly doubt it is gonna be that far gone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    A LOT of snow at higher elevations. I say no way a week will make a big difference. I hope Iím proven wrong though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Epic Plan B (Snapdragon & Lakeview) route will be snow free but barely. There will still be a few wet spots and at least one refreshing water crossing. No way the much preferred Plan A option will be open unless a few dozen shovels attack the TRT and Marlette Peak Trail this weekend.

Short-Change-Hero
    So Monday afternoon/evening my buddy and I were riding lower Ash Canyon and saw a group of guys up above 7-Step on the saddle flagging. Anyone know about new trails that have been approved there? Was probably a good 100yds up the hillside from the highest point on 7-Step.

L1MEY
    So Monday afternoon/evening my buddy and I were riding lower Ash Canyon and saw a group of guys up above 7-Step on the saddle flagging. Anyone know about new trails that have been approved there? Was probably a good 100yds up the hillside from the highest point on 7-Step.
    I'm pretty sure this is a part of the work that the City is doing out there on the parcel they purchased last year. There is already one new trail (Hamm connector) off 4day that was finished on 6/1. I think Ann or Gregg from Open Space may have mentioned that there would be a trail going up to the saddle but I don't remember the specifics. If it's Great Basin Institute doing the flagging then it's almost certainly City work. GBI is also starting work on a new trail at 5th St./ Prison Hill for the City next week.
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a part of the work that the City is doing out there on the parcel they purchased last year. There is already one new trail (Hamm connector) off 4day that was finished on 6/1. I think Ann or Gregg from Open Space may have mentioned that there would be a trail going up to the saddle but I don't remember the specifics. If it's Great Basin Institute doing the flagging then it's almost certainly City work. GBI is also starting work on a new trail at 5th St./ Prison Hill for the City next week.
    Thanks for the info Jen. Yeah I have been on the new Hamm Connector, will be nice once it is packed down and burned in.

There were no markers/signs saying who was working up there yesterday, just an older brown 4Runner with a Yeti sitting against the back and windows down at the small roundabout just before you link Jack Rabbit to Postal/7Step.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTurtle View Post
    A LOT of snow at higher elevations. I say no way a week will make a big difference. I hope Iím proven wrong though.
    At this point the surface aspect is everything. Totally clear, turn a corner, bam...

Tahoe Rim, Spooner Summit to Sierra Canyon is ridable with a detour. The west-trending (north facing) section of TRT before the views is obscured by snow. Some guys I ran into said a half mile of traversing to find the trail again.

Right at the spot it gets bad there is a mostly-clear primitive jeep track heading up left that leads to FR 41036, which more or less parallels TRT down to Sierra Cyn. After a short push up, it trends DH and has ridable drifts across it but no walking. Water gushing down the road like a creek. Sierra Cyn Trail is somewhat easy to miss, rock cairn and short signs off the either side of the road.

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-image-1-1%7E.jpg

If coming up SCT looking for this route: Cross the first dirt road at the top of the trail; take a right at the second dirt road, FR 41036 (signed a short ways up the road from there).

No mud to speak of anywhere on this route, or on Clear Creek or Sierra Canyon trails. Not sure how any of the TRT I bypassed looks, but sticking to the east as the roads up there do, it's a pretty clear connection for CCT and SCT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno Carson Trail Report Please-image-1-1%7E.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    Interesting. Saw on Cam Zink's instagram story yesterday (I think) that he and his lady were up there riding. They hit a few snowpacks before heading on the Flume (sand harbor overlook) which was completely clear. Videos/clips ended when they got to tunnel creek interchange it looked like.

mtbr member
    Ophir Creek has some activities this and last month. One rider mentioned first two miles had snow. Others posted similar info with pics. Hard to tell how bad the first mile or two really are from their Strava though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    7/18

Tahoe Rim Trail between Sierra Canyon Trail and Spooner Summit is snow free. One big downed tree between the Bench and Spooner.

Clear Creek Trail a mile or two down from Spooner Summit: One very large tree across the trail.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    7/18

Tahoe Rim Trail between Sierra Canyon Trail and Spooner Summit is snow free. One big downed tree between the Bench and Spooner.

Clear Creek Trail a mile or two down from Spooner Summit: One very large tree across the trail.
    Great news!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    TRT Tahoe Meadows to the Flume is clear, great condition too, more like mid June than mid July.

Big tree down on Upper Clear Creek, maybe a mile from Spooner TH.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

just ride
    Oct 2006
    Hi,

Iíll be in town this weekend and would like to visit Peavine Trail. Can someone please share a Strava route that is easy to follow? In case I loose phone reception. I donít mind doing a loop twice to get the distance and elevation. I just donít want to get lost. 😁 Iím ok with a 10 mile loop @2k elevation gain. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
    Hi,

Iíll be in town this weekend and would like to visit Peavine Trail. Can someone please share a Strava route that is easy to follow? In case I loose phone reception. I donít mind doing a loop twice to get the distance and elevation. I just donít want to get lost. Iím ok with a 10 mile loop @2k elevation gain. Thanks!
    I donít have a Strava route but you can follow this on Trail Forks:

East Keystone parking, Keystone Canyon, Total Recall, Scrub Brush, Bacon Strip, Halo, Snow Terraces, Poedunks.

Itíll be hot so go early.

Don't Tread on Me
    I've been enjoying some higher elevation trails over the last month but I did a weekday morning ride on the very familiar Ash to Kings yesterday. Some one has been doing trail maintenance which I very much appreciate. However the trail was sanitized at the same time which I do not appreciate. A fun trail always needs those iconic spots or features that require focus and skill. I look forward to them. They become little inanimate friends really. Several of those spots have been bulldozed. Am I alone in this?

Short-Change-Hero
    Haven't been out on the trails since Sunday. Which sections are you talking about? I have noticed that there is a bit of trail sanitizing going on but it hasnt been bad or anything?

Don't Tread on Me
    You know the last right hand switchback with the rock in the middle. It is now much easier going up and no problem at all going down. The couple hundred yards leading into that switchback are sanitized (the little steps up are paved now) as is the last traverse to the top after the switchback.

As you climb, to very near the top, in the Kings to Ash direction there is an iconic little spot like a doorway between some boulders. When you break through there is a great view of Carson City, the trail pitches up and to the left as you finish to the top. The narrow little step where the trail narrows and twists through the "doorway" is gone. These are not huge changes but I liked the the way it was. The trail is now easier and more importantly to some,...faster.

Short-Change-Hero
    Sounds like this is all on the Ash to Kings section? Haven't been on the Kings since in over a month so I could definitely be missing something. I have noticed a few spots, like the small drops on 7-Step going from Postal/Jack Rabbit north towards the gully. Those have been flattened a bunch with more of a rollover transition vs. a step-down/drop.

Switchbacks going up Evidence towards the top of the hill (which leads down to fireroad and top of Creek Trail) have gotten very VERY blown out this year which has caused them to get easier in my mind (except for the damn last one with the split rock you have to hit with your rear!).

Don't Tread on Me
    The Annual Rose to Toads is Labor Day (tomorrow). I do not have the time to ride 60+ miles but I do have time for a Rose to Clear Creek and down to the Jacks Valley Trail Head. I can park my Suburban at Jacks Valley and shuttle fellow riders back to Mt. Rose. Any interest? It is a 4 hour ride, 32, or so, miles, 2,000 ft of climbing and 4,000 feet of descent.

NedwannaB
    What start time were you thinking about?

Don't Tread on Me
    What start time were you thinking about?
    I am good starting anytime mid morning, 8:30 to 10 ish

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How was the ride?

Sorry to miss you, weíre road tripping, just got back.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Don't Tread on Me
    How was the ride?

Sorry to miss you, weíre road tripping, just got back.
    Great ride. The TRT is actually in great shape for this time of year. Good conditions due to the late opening, I m guessing. There were a lot of smiling faces.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice! I was on the other side of the lake camping (Kaspian) been wondering how Stanford Rock drops into the Blackwood Canyon access road. Saw lots of bikes coming and going on the road. One of these times I will take the bike with me (instead of the dogs) and ride it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice! I was on the other side of the lake camping (Kaspian) been wondering how Stanford Rock drops into the Blackwood Canyon access road. Saw lots of bikes coming and going on the road. One of these times I will take the bike with me (instead of the dogs) and ride it.
    I'm thinking of heading up there on Sunday, buddy got a new bike (Revved Trail Pistol), gonna see if we can break it

Anyone?
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just got done riding Stanford Rock. Stanford Rock is an out and back from Ward Creek, six miles of moderate climbing, would make a great out and back, trails are fast and flowy, new sections being built all the time.

No one in their right mind would go up Ward Canyon!
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't ridden Stanford yet this year with the new TAMBA work going on but I do it as a loop from Tahoe City. I park behind the Bridgetender, warm up riding down the bike path to just past Ward Creek and then wind through the Tahoe State Rec Area. I climb up Stanford Rock, then follow the TRT down Ward Canyon and through Paige Meadows back to the car. It's roughly 18 miles.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    I haven't ridden Stanford yet this year with the new TAMBA work going on but I do it as a loop from Tahoe City. I park behind the Bridgetender, warm up riding down the bike path to just past Ward Creek and then wind through the Tahoe State Rec Area. I climb up Stanford Rock, then follow the TRT down Ward Canyon and through Paige Meadows back to the car. It's roughly 18 miles.
    So that is taking the Blackwood Canyon road right by Kaspian Campground, or further down? Was thinking about doing that loop, but wasn't sure whether clockwise (like you) or counter-clockwise (pavement pounding at end) was more desirable.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So that is taking the Blackwood Canyon road right by Kaspian Campground, or further down? Was thinking about doing that loop, but wasn't sure whether clockwise (like you) or counter-clockwise (pavement pounding at end) was more desirable.
    Itís just north of Blackwood Canyon. Trailforks has it as Ward Creek Park Trail. I donít actually go into Blackwood Canyon at all.

There are trails that connect from the lower part of Stanford Rock trail to the Timberland neighborhood and Elizabeth/Leota but theyíve always seemed to be just locals access. Kaspian/Blackwood OHV is between Barker and Elizabeth so that connector might be what you were seeing.

Unfortunately thereís no way to legally connect the top of Stanford Rock to Blackwood/Barker Pass. Itís PCT/wilderness after Twin Peaks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That loop is the first half of what I rode last weekend.

So just to be clear, you really don't want to try riding up Ward Canyon Trail, it is a huge hike a bike in the middle mile with baby heads, erosion, and rock steps that are not rideable, then once you get past all that junk you have some steep climbing to top out Stanford for the ride back down.

Up Stanford and down Ward is a good ride, but the ride down Ward is not all that fun compared to the ride down Stanford; you can see how good a descent on Stanford would be as you ride up it.

I'll probably do an out and back on Stanford next weekend or the weekend after if anyone is interested.

So Greg, the favored route would be clockwise.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Most Delicious
    Any ideas on when some fall color is going to show up on Clear Creek trail? I want to shuttle my wife down it.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    Any ideas on when some fall color is going to show up on Clear Creek trail? I want to shuttle my wife down it.
    Colors should start popping next month. Keep an eye on Ash Canyon Creek trail, soon as that starts changing then you will want to ride the others. Could always have the wife do Mt. Rose Meadows to Spooner... Spooner side would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    Temps just dropped this past weekend, so look for a change soon. When I rode Stanford and Scott Peak last weekend, the Balsam Root was still blooming, so a wet year may delay the colors a bit.

Of course temps are rising into the next weekend, so indian summer can do all kinds of things.

There will be some nice colors on Clear Creek though the meadows and creeks, would be even better if we got a little rain to settle down the dust.

For some Fall colors up and around the lake, check out Incline Lake trail, Tahoe Donner, and down south Railroad Grade Trail.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

What a beautiful fall afternoon!

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-17e5f300-0d1b-4339-9bb7-fe82926ec66b.jpg
    Tunnel Creek

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-ca1ec74e-044f-4526-ba36-580cc26421a5.jpg
    Incline Flume...

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-e7c42c8f-a406-40ea-b32b-c3afe70bf92d.jpg
    Lower half of Tyrolian downhill

Hope you got to ride today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reno Carson Trail Report Please-1ff41cf2-b7d7-4068-a480-6c889c6797b8.jpg  

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-ebd4771e-bcbf-4f7a-8801-bff287ad6545.jpg  

Reno Carson Trail Report Please-4f5732cc-f552-43a8-b19e-a6d9737384ae.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We did ride!

On Sunday morning my wife and I rode up Stanford Rock trail, started at Ward Creek, rode to where the TAMBA trail crew has been working on an out and back stub that connects to a rocky viewpoint about 1/4 miles above the Standford Rock Trail. 7.1 miles up, 14.2 miles round trip, ~2250' of climbing, and some amazing downhill flow.

Looking East toward Incline
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-standford-rock-lake-view-2-.jpg

Looking North toward Sherwood Bowl/Alpine Meadows
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-standford-rock-top-2-.jpg

Big log ride under construction
    Reno Carson Trail Report Please-standford-rock-log-ride-2-.jpg
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

NedwannaB
    Wanting to head out of the northbay up north in a couple days. Thinking Carson Valley, hows Sierra Canyon and Clear Creek doing?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wanting to head out of the northbay up north in a couple days. Thinking Carson Valley, hows Sierra Canyon and Clear Creek doing?
    Everything is dry and open all the way up to the high sierras, Mother Nature ainít shown her hand yet.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Short-Change-Hero
    Small cold front coming through so mornings will be crisp. This coming sunday is supposed to peak out in the 50s. Then from there it will be peaking out in the low to mid 60s. Temps are starting to drop quick so bring your cold weather riding gear, no real moisture for next couple weeks though.. BOOOO

NedwannaB
    Small cold front coming through so mornings will be crisp. This coming sunday is supposed to peak out in the 50s. Then from there it will be peaking out in the low to mid 60s. Temps are starting to drop quick so bring your cold weather riding gear, no real moisture for next couple weeks though.. BOOOO
    Thanks gents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12