Las Vegas Living?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Las Vegas Living?

My wife is in line for a promotion at work but it likely means moving to Las Vegas. Her office would be in Summerlin and appears to be a few minutes from Bears Best trailhead. We live in Reno and I work from home.

I ride Peavine, Tahoe, Downieville often and prefer 3ish hour rides (20-30 miles). I tend to keep my wheels on the ground but do enjoy techy and chunky. I have no problems with a long climb that sets up a long descent. Desert riding doesn’t bother me and I’ve been to Moab multiple times as well as Fruita and St. George.

What’s the riding like in Vegas and is there a riding community? I’ve browsed Trail Forks and Strava but are there an LV specific sites with good info? I’ve looked through the LV Visitor thread but it seems dated.

While I primarily ride dirt I spend a fair bit of time on the road too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm no Vegas MTB expert and have only ridden there once as we are always driving thru to St George. If I was moving out there, I'd probably want to be in Summerlin or Henderson for general quality of life vs MTB riding.

To answer your question though, check out this link. There are multiple riding groups. MTB Las Vegas has 3000+ members. Basically, you sign up for groups and then will get weekly emails letting you know about organized rides and you choose to "meet up" or not. Great way to meet new people and learn new trails from people in the know. https://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeet...tFilter=mysugg
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Las Vegas vs Reno-Tahoe.

Can she turn down the promotion?

I’m actually serious, that’s some serious hot weather, it’ll definitely put a kink in your riding.

Closer to St George, that’s the only advantage I can see. Though winter riding should better since there’s no snow.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    You're pretty close to the Red Rock area too. You're not too far from Bootleg either. There is a lot of good riding there too. Not sure Bears Best is still around. Its in an area where houses are being built.

Its really hot in the summer (May to Sept) and in the winter its pretty cold. 40's during the day.

I've though about renting my house here in So Cal and buying a house in Vegas.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the replies.

Up In Smoke
    Vegas is stealing our Raiders

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm in the Summerlin area and you're less than 30 minutes from multiple trailheads. I've ridden year round here for the past few years. If you invest in some cold weather gear you can easily ride during the winter months. Buy some lights and you can ride when the sun is down all summer too or just go really early. Lots of technical riding as well. You'll also be 2 hrs from southern Utah and 4.5 from Sedona/Flagstaff/Phoenix. Let me know if you have any more questions!

searchin for Animal Chin
    I live in Summerlin also and ride all year. Winter riding is the best, I still wear shorts and a short sleeved shirt, it's really not that cold. Summertime yes definitely get an early start and pack lots of cold cold water (I usually bring a frozen water bottle for emergency with me to so if I run out of water in my pack I know to high tail it back to the truck), and there is no shade, I buy sunscreen by the gallon You get used to the heat, I swear!

Pretty much the whole west side of the valley has plenty of great trails, from the north you have the Burbs, going south there is little red rock (cleod 9), Cowboy trails, Bear's Best (yes it's still there bigger than ever), Southwest Ridge, the Stache, and Cottonwood at Blue Diamond, and some new trails just got done up towards Mountain Springs. Of these the Burbs and Cowboy are the most technical, where Bears and Cottonwood are more XC but there are some super tech badass trails in those also.

And don't forget summertime at Mt Charleston is alot of fun, temps are much cooler, the trails are mostly shuttled unless you really like to climb! It's only a half hour away depending on where you live.

St George 2 hours away, Snow Summit bike park 3 hours away, Brian Head bike park 3 hours away, Bootleg a short drive to Boulder City.

And the Raiders here next year

Home prices keep going up and up, approaching the same as the last bubble so keep that in mind if buying a house. It's getting crazy but Californians (and others) keep selling their houses and moving here so it keeps going up.

I love it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I do not live in Vegas but I have spent plenty of time there riding, gambling, and boating. No shortage of riding there, plenty of places and plenty of variety to keep you occupied. And there is gambling and nightlife if you're into those things. But there is also Lake Mead nearby and opens up another world of activities to add to the what to do in Vegas list.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Meatbomb
    Lake Mead is a shit hole.... go to powell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How’s the wind in LV? Here in Reno, in the Spring and early Summer it picks up about 1:00 every afternoon but it can be windy any day of the year.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    At least you're not suggesting Lake Pleasant instead.

Come on Phillbo, that wasn't necessary. I'm trying to help the guy here.

Meatbomb
    I would not even consider boating on Pleasant....

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesjus View Post
    How’s the wind in LV? Here in Reno, in the Spring and early Summer it picks up about 1:00 every afternoon but it can be windy any day of the year.

No predictable patterns anytime of year other than the prevailing winds usually blow from the SW

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    At least you're not suggesting Lake Pleasant instead.

Come on Phillbo, that wasn't necessary. I'm trying to help the guy here.
    Unfortunately Phillbo is pretty accurate here literally

All the grey and sewer water from Las Vegas gets treated to "safe" levels and released into lake Mead. Also all the runoff water from everywhere in town flows down the Las Vegas Wash through a system of weirs and also drains into Lake Mead. The resulting river entering the lake has many signs saying DO NOT ENTER!

Then Las Vegas pumps water from the lake back to town for us to drink and shower and water our yards The water is actually really safe, just kind of gross to think about it.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Unfortunately Phillbo is pretty accurate here literally

All the grey and sewer water from Las Vegas gets treated to "safe" levels and released into lake Mead. Also all the runoff water from everywhere in town flows down the Las Vegas Wash through a system of weirs and also drains into Lake Mead. The resulting river entering the lake has many signs saying DO NOT ENTER!

Then Las Vegas pumps water from the lake back to town for us to drink and shower and water our yards The water is actually really safe, just kind of gross to think about it.
    You can say that about any body of water with a population near it anywhere on Earth including our oceans. Welcome to humanity.

Big B's Trails
    east/north ends of the lake are nice.. if you know, you know....if you dont, you dont.
    laughing at some of the replies in here. Vegas isnt Reno(tahoe's knocking on your door) but its actually sweet and theres a really solid riding community here. ...and more trails are being added all the time
    I dig dirt!

L1MEY
    Having lived in both places (Vegas for 8 years, Carson City for 9), I can honestly say I don't miss Vegas at all.

If you have to go and live there due to your wife's work then make sure you pick a place that's not too far from the major trailheads, so at least you don't have to drive the best part of an hour just to make it to the start of your ride. I lived on the east side of the valley near Sunrise Mountain and it sucked to have to drive all the way across the valley to ride or hike at Red Rock.

In the summer, make sure you finish your rides before 10am, always ride with a full Camelbak, and buy some good lights so at least you can go out after dark. Summer pretty much runs from March - November, spring and autumn don't really exist. You will get used to the heat and learn to function in it, but 115 is brutal no matter how long you live there. If you also ski, skip Mt. Charleston and just drive to Brian Head instead.
    Ride like a girl! :cornut: