IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?

Hey, does anyone here know the scoop on IMBA's plans up in Caliente, NV?

Original IMBA post: https://www.imba.com/blog/patrick-ke...pe-caliente-nv

Partial repost from last week: NEWS: Big plans for small-town Nevada | BIKE Magazine

Maybe there's something that I'm missing, as I'm pretty new to Nevada, but I do not at all understand why IMBA would invest (limited) resources into building trail that is 100+ miles from an established city (i.e., Las Vegas) centered around a town with a population of 1,100 people (Caliente, NV) and no infrastructure to support a riding "destination." Especially when there are several other options (i.e., St. George, Hurricane, etc.) that are closer to Vegas with well-established riding?

It makes zero sense to me . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The BLM in the area and the local government wanted to do something with the lands in the area in relation to the nearby state parks. When this opportunity was identified IMBA got involved to develop a new trail system. The city and the BLM have donated funds toward the project and after that IMBA put some resources in as well. My understanding is that the BLM in the area were the ones to initiate and the mtb community chimed in. A few of us in town got together with Patrick Kell a couple of weeks ago for some beers on his way back from caliente. He said the officials up there were really excited about the whole project. It sounded very cool. I was confused at first and a little bummed that this wasn't being done here in Vegas....where the people are.....but it's all because the land managers up there want this to happen. I for one will definately head up for day trips and some weekend camping once it's done. I hear it's about 2 hours away.

mtbr member
    They have the available land resources for a huge trail network and like bcall8 said the local government and land managers are behind it. No one would ever stop to ride in Moab or Fruita or Vernal if a similar coalition hadn't formed. I think it's cool and having ridden motos down there I know the potential is huge. I hope it really comes to fruition.

My only gripe is that it's not happening in Ely. We've got a few things going and decent start to a trail network up here, plus we have a non-profit trails alliance in place, an actual riding community, a favorable relationship with FS land managers, and just as limitless land potential as Lincoln County.

Kinda envious that they've beat us to the punch.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good to see the land management agencies, city, county, and local resources plus IMBA working together to accomplish the trails. Gives riders another option for riding as a destination or on their way through. I have often wondered why more places have not pulled together to create more riding destinations in warmer areas to attract the colder climate riders. Sure is a good way to diversify an economy. Looking forward to riding there. Best of Luck.

mtbr member
    Hey all,
    As the VP of SNMBA, I can speak on the progress of this area and why. bcall8 and KRob are right with both comments. We've been in close contact with the Southwest IMBA director Patrick Kell and understand their (Caliente) desire to establish an epic destination for people. As KRob says, you would have never stopped in any of these places if mountain bike trails did not exist there. Why go to Caliente? Why go to Hurricane? Because trails are there. We don't go to Gooseberry Mesa because of St. George, or Moab because of the large city that surrounds it (none). We go for the trails. As Patrick Kell says, what was Moab 50 years ago? Heck, how about 25 (c. 1989)? It wasn't what it is today. Mountain biking made Moab, Fruita, and Downieville (and more) what they are today. Legendary. Now, I agree, we ALL want trails in our backyard, multitudes of them and the best in the world even, but you would eventually go elsewhere knowing that you ride these every day are getting stale. Just ask the locals in Moab or Sedona. They love them, but they go elsewhere just like us to experience some change. If you could help a small town achieve their dream, would you?

Now, the BLM in Caliente is completely different than our local BLM here (I tread carefully here). Locally, we live in many "protected" or "conservation" areas that really limit what we can do. These areas are typically the best terrain and scenery available, but those "__" words limit our ability to expand. Caliente's area is 50 miles by 40 miles with 4 MILLION acres of available "do as you will" land. If you were handed a blank check and said do as you wish, would you write it for $20 and get a case of beer? Or could you envision something greater and be involved at ground level to build a trail system spectacular and legendary that future generation can thoroughly enjoy? I hope you would.

Yes, Caliente is about 2 hour from Vegas. So is Gooseberry, door to door. I have no problem going on a day trip to Goose. Even camp there. Only once did I stay in St. George, and that was to ride the local trails the next day.

In this current society of instant information and gratification, it's hard to grasp the long-term picture and see what's in everyone's best interest because we all want it now. That's no jab, that's just the truth. Patience is very hard to come by in 2014, even if you find it on clearance somewhere. I guess if no one every said anything about the future of Caliente and just built it quietly, then one day, 40+ miles of epic singletrack and DH trails appear, everyone would rave. Let's have that happen.

On a side note, if you live in SoNV, you might want to pay attention to the new trail systems being built on Mt Charleston that our Forestry Service is allowing. They are being about as nice as BLM in Caliente. Kudos to the FS.

Thanks for listening to this long explanation.
    Erik Montville

b a n n e d
    I truly appreciate the detailed explanation, Erik et al. I agree that its kind of "Field of Dreams-esque . . . build it, and they will come!"

My biggest curiosity was mainly related to "why there?" as it seems(ed) very obscure. I'm sure that, as mentioned, Moab and the likes were little to nothing prior to being developed as MTB destination, and hopefully Caliente will experience a similar fate over the next decade. I have some experience working with land management and know from first hand experience that if the give a green light, you do NOT hesitate.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the explanation Erik. I totally agree. If 40-50miles of epic singletrack just appeared around Caliente I'd certainly drive the two hours down from Ely to ride it.... especially in the Spring when things are still covered in snow here.

Just out of curiosity, who is the BLM rec planner you are dealing with in Caliente? Lincoln County is part of the Ely BLM district (the largest BLM district by acreage in the lower 48) and the one up here has bureaucratitis. She seems very hesitant to do anything the least bit progressive as far as trails.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Big B's Trails
    Can't wait to go!
    I dig dirt!

Big B's Trails
    Maybe connect to coyote one day, then you'd really have somethin goin...
    I dig dirt!

desert dweller
    Sounds cool enough, we'll give it a go -- if it goes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?

I for one, am excited to see trails in Caliente. Admittedly, my first thought was Ely would be the Flagstaff and Caliente would be our Sedona. When it's too wet or too much snow in Ely, buzz down to Caliente.

The Hutch
    Jared and i rode 130 miles of this area on our CX bikes last Monday .. place has serious potential ..
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Think Aout It?

Do the names Moab, Virgin, Hurricane or Boulder City mean anything to you? None of these places were on the map before people started investing time and money into them for MTB. When I was a kid, back in the early 80s, no one rode bikes in Moab, it was a small uranium mining town with some Jeep trails that led nowheren ow look at the place!!!. Virgin Utah???? who ever has heard of that place for MTBing untill Mike and Morgan Harris forged out trails called Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mesa, now IMBA, the BLM and the Southern Utah area are on fire with awesome riding. How about Boulder City NV, just another small Nevada town with 0 roots in mountain biking, till an old, dearly departed friend left a rake, pick and a shovel at the end of a homemade single trak and enacetd the rule that "if you ride the Mother Trail you have to cut ten more feet of trail at the end." These are all examlpes of what Caliente can be, I know I've ridden there on dirt bikes and the possibilities are endless. The last time I saw IMBA, a small town and the BLM get in bed together they created a little place called Prescott AZ, if you haven't ridden there you should try it. Look up Chris Hoskings (He runs the trail program for the City of Prescott) and ask him what can be accomplished when we all work together. The most appealing part of Caliente is that it is far from all of the places you mentioned, isn't that what MTB is all about? Get out and ride!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Hey, does anyone here know the scoop on IMBA's plans up in Caliente, NV?

Original IMBA post: https://www.imba.com/blog/patrick-ke...pe-caliente-nv

Partial repost from last week: NEWS: Big plans for small-town Nevada | BIKE Magazine

Maybe there's something that I'm missing, as I'm pretty new to Nevada, but I do not at all understand why IMBA would invest (limited) resources into building trail that is 100+ miles from an established city (i.e., Las Vegas) centered around a town with a population of 1,100 people (Caliente, NV) and no infrastructure to support a riding "destination." Especially when there are several other options (i.e., St. George, Hurricane, etc.) that are closer to Vegas with well-established riding?

It makes zero sense to me . . . .

mtbr member
    Yes indeed. Good points bikefronk. And here's a link from Bike Mag telling about what's going on currently with this plan. Looks like we'll see some work starting by next Spring. Wo hoo!

www.stuckinthespokes.com

JKA
    mtbr member
    This has been the best news to hit the MTB community in NV in a long time. Probably since Brent started the aforementioned "Build the Mother Trail" process at BC. I have also ridden dirt bike races around Caliente many times when I was a kid. Yes they actually had motors back then. I'm not that old! I love the area up there and hope this turns in to what the potential really is. Looking forward to the drive up there!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sugardare View Post
    Hey all,
    As the VP of SNMBA, I can speak on the progress of this area and why. bcall8 and KRob are right with both comments. We've been in close contact with the Southwest IMBA director Patrick Kell and understand their (Caliente) desire to establish an epic destination for people. As KRob says, you would have never stopped in any of these places if mountain bike trails did not exist there. Why go to Caliente? Why go to Hurricane? Because trails are there. We don't go to Gooseberry Mesa because of St. George, or Moab because of the large city that surrounds it (none). We go for the trails. As Patrick Kell says, what was Moab 50 years ago? Heck, how about 25 (c. 1989)? It wasn't what it is today. Mountain biking made Moab, Fruita, and Downieville (and more) what they are today. Legendary. Now, I agree, we ALL want trails in our backyard, multitudes of them and the best in the world even, but you would eventually go elsewhere knowing that you ride these every day are getting stale. Just ask the locals in Moab or Sedona. They love them, but they go elsewhere just like us to experience some change. If you could help a small town achieve their dream, would you?

Now, the BLM in Caliente is completely different than our local BLM here (I tread carefully here). Locally, we live in many "protected" or "conservation" areas that really limit what we can do. These areas are typically the best terrain and scenery available, but those "__" words limit our ability to expand. Caliente's area is 50 miles by 40 miles with 4 MILLION acres of available "do as you will" land. If you were handed a blank check and said do as you wish, would you write it for $20 and get a case of beer? Or could you envision something greater and be involved at ground level to build a trail system spectacular and legendary that future generation can thoroughly enjoy? I hope you would.

Yes, Caliente is about 2 hour from Vegas. So is Gooseberry, door to door. I have no problem going on a day trip to Goose. Even camp there. Only once did I stay in St. George, and that was to ride the local trails the next day.

In this current society of instant information and gratification, it's hard to grasp the long-term picture and see what's in everyone's best interest because we all want it now. That's no jab, that's just the truth. Patience is very hard to come by in 2014, even if you find it on clearance somewhere. I guess if no one every said anything about the future of Caliente and just built it quietly, then one day, 40+ miles of epic singletrack and DH trails appear, everyone would rave. Let's have that happen.

On a side note, if you live in SoNV, you might want to pay attention to the new trail systems being built on Mt Charleston that our Forestry Service is allowing. They are being about as nice as BLM in Caliente. Kudos to the FS.

Thanks for listening to this long explanation.
    Erik Montville
    Erik,

While I appreciate your comments about what is happening in Caliente, I have to chime in on the comment about the limited area for trails due to "protected" or "conservation" areas. I don't think this prevents the BLM from doing anything in Las Vegas. They may use it as an excuse but history shows that they can put trails most anywhere as would be indicated by the 2 mile trail they built in the last 3 years off of the McCullogh Trail in Sloan Canyon Conservation Area.

In fact, that is the only trail which I am aware that they built. I have heard that they did some of the trails in Cottonwood but I am not sure. If the local office wanted more then there would be more.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 50cents View Post
    When will the first ten miles of intermediate trail be completed?
    Funding is being secured as we speak. When that is done, bidding will go out and approved. Building will happen after that. These will not be like major thoroughfare but actual singletrack.

JKA
    mtbr member
    I thought I'd breathe some life back into this old thread to see if there is any new info on Caliente trails. I see where the trail system at Beatty is progressing, but haven't heard anything new about Caliente. Anyone with an update?

Young, Shawn Young
    Looks like a good place for a brewery?
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

JKA
    mtbr member
    Is there a bad place for a brewery?

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    Is there a bad place for a brewery?
    You have a point there.....

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    (from above article)

Caliente Mountain Bike Trail System Lincoln County $495,794

The City of Caliente will construct up to five miles of non-motorized multi-purpose trail and a trailhead with a skill/pump track park in Caliente, Nevada. (A pump track is a continuous loop of round bumps and banked turns for practicing riding skills.) The project will serve as both a community health resource for local residents and act as an economic engine to attract visitors to the area. The trailhead with skill and pump tracks will be located in the existing City of Caliente Super Park. The biking trail system will be a single-track trail that will link to the proposed BLM backcountry and Nevada Division of State Parks trail system. The mountain bike trails will also connect to the family-oriented Rail City and Meadow Valley Wash Linear Parks. This biking trail system will complement the existing City walking trail system and will connect to the Caliente Elementary School, parks, campgrounds, and neighborhoods, as well as appropriate cultural, natural, and scenic sites in and around Caliente.

Lincoln County Partners Non-Motorized Multipurpose Trail System BLM $1,000,000

The purpose of this project is to construct approximately 12 to 20 miles of sustainable non-motorized multi-purpose trails and signage on BLM-managed public lands and develop a trailhead. All construction will include compliance with Federal accessibility requirements and employ sustainable design where practical. The trailhead will include one vault toilet, four shade structures, four grills, and four picnic tables. In the future, the multi-purpose trails will connect to trails managed by the City of Caliente and Nevada Division of State Parks (Parks) in eastern Lincoln County, Nevada. This project only addresses trail construction on the public lands managed by BLM
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Straight out tha traila
    BLM seeks public comment on proposed Lincoln County Trails plan - The Ely Times

ELY – The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Ely District, Caliente Field Office is asking the public to review and provide comment on the Lincoln County Partners Non-motorized Multipurpose Trails 2015 Preliminary Environmental Assessment (EA), a proposed multi-purpose, non-motorized trail system to be located near Caliente, Nev. The 30-day public comment period concludes Tuesday, March 1, 2016.

The proposed trails system would enhance access to public lands by constructing new multipurpose hiking and mountain biking trails. The trails would improve non-motorized recreational opportunities in Lincoln County. Development of the new trails and trailheads would not reduce access to or conflict with current recreational opportunities in the area. Additional information can be obtained in the preliminary EA, available online at http://1.usa.gov/1nesxl2.

Interested individuals should address all written comments to the BLM Caliente Field Office, PO Box 237, Caliente, NV 89008, Attn: 2015 Trails Project or fax them to the office at (775) 726-8111. Comments may also be submitted electronically at [email protected]. Before including your address, phone number, e-mail address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment – including your personal identifying information – may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

For more information, contact Project Manager Jon Prescott at (775) 726-8144 or [email protected].

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    Jared and i rode 130 miles of this area on our CX bikes last Monday .. place has serious potential ..
    lol, not if you rode it on cyclocross bikes

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'll believe this when I see it. I mean, I believe that some trails will get built. I just don't believe it will ever be an "EPIC DESTINATION!" Sorry for being a detractor, I just get frustrated when I see IMBA's resources getting poured into something like this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I for one am pumped about these trails going in. I find it disheartening that riders in more urban areas find rural development as a waste of money. We want to ride too! Furthermore, this is also a great example of federal land management agencies helping rural communities diversify their economies and revitalize their image. Which is in contrast to everything negative you hear on the news about the BLM when it comes to the ranching industry. The Bikemag article says 2016 is when the trail work will begin. Hopefully we'll be riding out here in the Fall and Winter

mtbr member
    ^^^ I agree and I look forward to riding these trails and coming up from vegas to spend a weekend of great riding.
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Devinci Spartan
    20' Enduro 29
    20' Epic HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I should say some riders in more urban areas of course, not everyone

mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Short-Change-Hero
    Sweet... Looks like this may be an off season destination for friends and my wife and I. Would be awesome to go out there in December timeframe when trails are still in good shape and it is warm, camp, ride and have some fun.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Sweet... Looks like this may be an off season destination for friends and my wife and I. Would be awesome to go out there in December timeframe when trails are still in good shape and it is warm, camp, ride and have some fun.
    It'll be a summer destination, Caliente is at 5 or 6k elevation, and the trails will be even higher.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TOP TIER LURKER
    This is excellent news!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    It'll be a summer destination, Caliente is at 5 or 6k elevation, and the trails will be even higher.

More like 4300' and it does get warm in the summer, but not like Vegas. Shoulder seasons will be perfect. Summer should bearable but a bit warm (90-100F I think). Perhaps a bit cooler up on the trails in the hills. Not sure how high the new mtb trails top out at, but if they get up to 6500-7500' it should be nice.

Looking forward to these trails.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    More like 4300' and it does get warm in the summer, but not like Vegas. Shoulder seasons will be perfect. Summer should bearable but a bit warm (90-100F I think). Perhaps a bit cooler up on the trails in the hills. Not sure how high the new mtb trails top out at, but if they get up to 6500-7500' it should be nice.

Looking forward to these trails.
    Yeah see that is what my buddy was telling me. Figure if you hit late fall you should easily be 60-70s down at the city for camping and then maybe 50-60s up higher when riding (depending on time of year).

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Yeah see that is what my buddy was telling me. Figure if you hit late fall you should easily be 60-70s down at the city for camping and then maybe 50-60s up higher when riding (depending on time of year).
    Expect temp differentials between night and day to be closer to 30 degrees. My point was that it's going to snow there in the winter, and as Krob knows very well, the weather can also vary wildly.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I would come down from Jackson in our mud season if the trails were good, and THAT is what this is all about! I hope they are being forward thinking with campsites and other amenities...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

sweat factory
    I'm excited about this trail system. I spend a week each year in St. George to mountain bike, and it would make a great day trip to drive the 2 hours up to Caliente.

Nice article here: https://www.imba.com/blog/katherine-...stem-scratch-0
    Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member
    So if I read that link correctly, there are already 43 miles of trails there? Has anybody actually been there and ridden them?
    Carpe Diem!!

L1MEY
    This sounds great! Thinking about planning a trip down in October. Last time we camped in the area (at Cathedral Gorge) it was Labour Day weekend and a bit too warm, so I reckon October should be perfect. I don't know about Kershaw Ryan SP, but Cathedral Gorge was really nice... Lots of shaded areas, clean facilities and hot showers. If you have a NV parks annual pass camping is only $10!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

L1MEY
    Does anyone have any more info on the trails in this area? We were thinking of heading down to Caliente for Nevada Day weekend but I can't find any trail descriptions or maps.

- Jen

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    So if I read that link correctly, there are already 43 miles of trails there? Has anybody actually been there and ridden them?
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Does anyone have any more info on the trails in this area? We were thinking of heading down to Caliente for Nevada Day weekend but I can't find any trail descriptions or maps.

- Jen
    The article said the trails have been designed, not built yet.

AFAIK, they started on the stuff in town, but it'll be a couple years for the project to be completed.

mtbr member
    I talked to John, the BLM Rec Planner over this area a few months ago and he said they completed a beginner/intermediate trail near town this spring, I think, that's about 5 miles long. The full network is not going to be completed for a few years. Stay tuned though. It sounds like there's going to be some fun stuff eventually.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been following this thread since I've heard about this project. Now I am actually out here building/working on the city portion of it. Being some flow trails from town and a bike park. Super potential area can't wait to see how the whole vision comes together! Doesn't seem like there is a ton of info about it, so here's a couple of shots of the climbing trail in progress right in town!

Yeah!
    Buck

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-img_0002.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-img_0003.jpg

sweat factory
    Cool photographs! That's pretty awesome to see a trail coming together and getting built like that. Share more if you've got them!

mtbr member
    Nice. Thanks for the update. I talked to John a couple weeks ago and he said they should have about 7 miles of trail finished by end of November. Does that sound about right, Buck? Are you volunteering or working for the contracted trail crew?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice. Thanks for the update. I talked to John a couple weeks ago and he said they should have about 7 miles of trail finished by end of November. Does that sound about right, Buck? Are you volunteering or working for the contracted trail crew?
    Sounds about right, I'm not working on the BLM project though so honestly couldn't tell ya much about it. I've met John and know the ACE crew is out there killing it! I'm here working for the contractor building the bike park in Caliente city!

To see pics as we progress on the trails follow me on instagram @bigbossbuck, I post daily pretty much! Yew! 🤘🤘 and we just started the gravity trails so should be posting cool stuff soon! 🤘🤘

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Couple pics, all the intermediate trail is in on what we are working on. We have it closed till it hopefully gets some dang moisture!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-img_0025.jpg  

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-img_0026.jpg  

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-img_0027.jpg  

sweat factory
    Berms, pump track....so nice! Definitely going on my "to do" list.

Straight out tha traila
    Woah awesome! Keep us posted for when it's ready, I'll check it out for sure!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Copper Cable View Post
    Berms, pump track....so nice! Definitely going on my "to do" list.
    Yeah that is the lower down trail, pumpy start to jumpy finish! Truck should give a sense of scale! That trail leads to the bike park the other side of the crew is building! Concrete pump track, progressive jump lines, and skills loop!

mtbr member
    Read about a volunteer trail work day scheduled for this Saturday, Nov 11 if anyone's of a mind to dig. Not sure who to contact for details. It was posted on the LVMTB Facebook page.

Here's the original announcement:

Trail work day in Caliente, NV.
    The BLM and American Conservation experience would like to extend an open invitation to join us Saturday November 11 for a day of trail digging in Caliente, NV. As the season is drawing to a close we are looking for volunteers to help us finish the climbing section of our newest loop, which includes a 1.2 mile expert downhill. Having the community support on this project will be a great way to help us get your eyes, tires, and feedback on the trails.

Itinerary:

10:00 - 10:30 Meet: We'll gather at the Caliente BLM office and head off to the trail head as a group.

10:30 - 11:00 Greet - Joel (ACE) and Jon (BLM) will give an overview of the project, what it means to the mountain bike community, and what we hope it could mean for the local community of Caliente.

11:00 - 3:00 Move Dirt - We'll be following a section that the dozer has built for us, putting some final touches on it, and making it safe and fun to ride.

3:00 - 5:00 Ride Bikes - A big part of why we're eager to get you out here is so that we can get some feedback on the trails that we've been digging since the spring. Getting input from the community helps us design and build trails that everyone can enjoy.

What To Bring:

Safety is always a concern when we're using tools and working in the desert. Please bring sure you have:

•Bike Helmet or Hardhat (For working and riding)
    •Gloves
    •Eyewear
    •4-6 liters of water
    •Food
    •Rain Gear (more moisture means more compaction on our trails)
    •Safety Release (attached)

We hope you can make it down this veterans day weekend for some digging and some riding. If your interested please RSVP to either,

Jon Prescott: [email protected]
    Joel Rake-Marona: [email protected]
    Last edited by KRob; 11-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    Sounds about right, I'm not working on the BLM project though so honestly couldn't tell ya much about it. I've met John and know the ACE crew is out there killing it! I'm here working for the contractor building the bike park in Caliente city!

To see pics as we progress on the trails follow me on instagram @bigbossbuck, I post daily pretty much! Yew! 🤘🤘 and we just started the gravity trails so should be posting cool stuff soon! 🤘🤘
    Followed! cant wait for the shoulder to heal so I can get on the bike again!

mtbr member
    Hmm. I thought that's where I saw it. I did send in a comment eventhough the current stuff is approved and building is in progress but the greater 100+ miles plan is still in the works and could still use positive comments.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Short-Change-Hero
    Video of Brian Kennedy (BKXC on youtube) riding the trails and pump track in Caliente!!
    https://youtu.be/EaC7gPP0Lgs

Straight out tha traila
    Video of Brian Kennedy (BKXC on youtube) riding the trails and pump track in Caliente!!
    https://youtu.be/EaC7gPP0Lgs
    Nice! Looks like fun. He's been to Beatty lately too, will bump that thread.

Straight out tha traila
    Spent a few days in Caliente last week, super impressed! Some places are quite sandy but hopefully after time and rains it will get better. The bike park is fun as hell, and the singletrack in town is short and fun. Also has a road to the top if you bros want to shuttle lol. My fave is the trails up the canyon, the higher you go the better the trails imho. This is going to be pic heavy but everyone likes pictures yes?

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_074702.jpg

Straight out tha traila
    Bike park.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_090431.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_084510.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_092830.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_091415.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180517_150837.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180517_150843.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180517_150837.jpg  

Straight out tha traila
    Pics of the trail in town.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_075952.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_080551.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_082301.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_083519.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_083853.jpg

Straight out tha traila
    Awesome new trails up the road from Caliente, Barnes Canyon I guess it's called?

There's a creek crossing on the way to the trailhead so watch out low slung cars. Or you could just ride, it's not that far.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_102137.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_104016.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_104025.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_104016.jpg  

Straight out tha traila
    IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_113105.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_110534.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_115646.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_120456.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_121838.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180518_131750.jpg

Straight out tha traila

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180517_183252.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180519_074930.jpg

Midway Motel greeter.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20180517_154553.jpg

Young, Shawn Young
    Updates?

shy of 60
    Aug 2014
    My son & I will make a stop in Caliente next Monday...headed to Hurricane and it is on the way....will try to update next week if i have decent internet service.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does IMBA even still exist?

shy of 60
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Does IMBA even still exist?

IMBA out there, not sure?

Found this yesterday:

https://frontlinesmtb.com/2018/10/11...-kell-of-imba/

I will know more next week if IMBA is still involved out there. Regardless, IMBA, BLM, Lincoln Co, chamber of commerce have a very ambitious plan for Caliente!

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by gerryl View Post
    IMBA out there, not sure?

Found this yesterday:

https://frontlinesmtb.com/2018/10/11...-kell-of-imba/

I will know more next week if IMBA is still involved out there. Regardless, IMBA, BLM, Lincoln Co, chamber of commerce have a very ambitious plan for Caliente!
    Listening now , and FYI unless you are have extreme left leaning political views skip the first minute.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not sure you need to be that left leaning to not understand and agree with the first minute, though I was surprised it was the lead off to an audio show that will be heard by all sorts.

I’m thinking we’ll head that way at Thanksgiving, just to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Listening now , and FYI unless you are have extreme left leaning political views skip the first minute.
    GG Megatrail 27.5 (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wife's)

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    , though I was surprised it was the lead off to an audio show that will be heard by all sorts.
    Yeah I was just getting ready to turn it off when he finally started talking about trails. Geesh!

Young, Shawn Young
    Yeah I was just getting ready to turn it off when he finally started talking about trails. Geesh!
    I wonder if he still believes her. Im tired of everyone using their platform to try to smash us with their politcs. I shut it off and didnt bother listening. What an asshole.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    I wonder if he still believes her. Im tired of everyone using their platform to try to smash us with their politcs. I shut it off and didnt bother listening. What an asshole.
    Same here. Way to turn people off. Speaking of turning people off, I've dealt a bit with Patrick, too. Every time I posted something anti-IMBA he used to send me personal emails. Eventually I blocked him, then he facebook messaged me. Blocked him on there, too. I may hear from him again if he reads this. My response every time was, and will continue to be, "leave me alone with your words, I want to see action!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Trail talk starts around 5:40 for those who want to skip.

I'm honestly pretty interested to get down there some day so am excited to see this development.

Straight out tha traila
    I've been back a couple times, the Barnes canyon trail has a nice loop section on top of the mesa now, super fun. There's a downhill only trail too that's well signed, not that you will have anyone trying to hike/bike up

And the in-town flow trail seems to be alot better as far as traction goes than the first time I went.

Go check it out, Caliente is a sweet little town!

shy of 60
    Aug 2014

Update 10/29

My son & I will make a stop in Caliente next Monday...headed to Hurricane and it is on the way....will try to update next week if i have decent internet service.
    Camped at Kershaw-Ryan State Park (SP). Rode Barnes Canyon area while there. Even if you don't camp at the SP, they have hot showers available after a day of riding ! The SP is building a trail network on land the State owns and part of that plan is a future connection to/from Barnes Canyon and the SP. Both the BLM, State, and community seen pretty serious about making this happen. The SP staff said their trail crew would be working all winter. The Barnes Canyon trail crew was working and camping out there during our ride.

If you are in the neighborhood or traveling through, it is worth checking out. Here is a link to online info and a trail map:

Mountain Bike Trails in Nevada | Near Las Vegas | Lincoln County, Nevada

On the map link above, trail 4 is a great climbing trail to get you to the current high point in the trail system....on the map you can see many trails to be constructed.

This is a long range vision/plan. Nothing happens overnight. Any support we can show these rural communities, helps everyone at the end of the day.

If you visit, let them know you are there to ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So here's the thing about a place like Caliente:

I'm one of those guys who travels to ride, in winter I go south, in summer I go north. I currently living in Carson City NV, so south is Utah/NV/AZ/NM.

I would go to Caliente to ride, but my wife would not, primarily because there is nothing else there other than the trails.

My wife would choose to go to Moab first, GJ second, St George third, Sedona fourth only because it's further, then LV would be last. Caliente is really only a place that we'd go on the way to some other place. I certainly like trying different trails systems, but there has to be more than trails to attract me and mine.

Will Caliente develop into a Moab? I think that's very optimistic, but it's worth a shot.

Personally I'd like to see trail development within an hour drive of populated areas like Reno, alternatives to popular trails, options for snow free riding in the winter, off the grid enough that they don't attract general tourists, but could benefit from having trails and the associated commerce.

Local to us: Silver Springs/Dayton, Fallon, Yerington.

Another option is to build systems that are "on the way to another place", like Elko (Rubys).

One of the failures I see in the Carson/Reno area is the emphasis on trails in the tree line, which are lovely to ride for the six months that they are snow free, but they suck all the oxygen out of the trail building opportunities in places that would be rideable through the winter. We had this same dilemma in Eastern Washington (Wenatchee), I made the same argument and it fell on deaf ears, so we had to drive hours to ride.

So yeah, I'll check out Caliente at some point, but it ain't gonna get my wife's attention in the foreseeable future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A real town.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    If we were to fast forward the clock to November 2028, what do riders who have ridden Caliente think will be the status of that riding destination compared to the other current popular riding destinations within the same climatic zone? What will the features be that will pull riders away from the other proven destinations?

mtbr member
    I like the trails in Caliente. The trails need traffic. Future plans look good.
    As of now, there is a day of riding there.
    It will take quite a bit of rider traffic before those trails are in prime condition.
    Currently much of the tread is soft and susceptible to run off/erosion.
    Early days= fun to see things get built and evolve.
    Once the trail mileage increases and more terrain is covered, it will be a good weekend/2-3 day ride destination.
    I remember "year 1" for Fruita...that town too was beat and rundown before trails.

Caliente bike park/flow trail in town is pretty cool. Super easy access. Perfect leg stretcher.
    Good for families and kids.

Some of the terrain not too far outside of Caliente is world class. You can see it on the drive between Caliente and Cedar City.

Doing a multi destination road trip through Ely-Caliente-Cedar City-St G/Hurricane-Vegas/Beatty makes for a fun loop. Lots of ways to mix it up. Roadside riding abounds. Nice mix of obscure + destination riding. Don't like one of the locations, then just proceed to the next.

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post
    It will take quite a bit of rider traffic before those trails are in prime condition.
    Once the trail mileage increases and more terrain is covered, it will be a good weekend/2-3 day ride destination.
    I remember "year 1" for Fruita...that town too was beat and rundown before trails.

Caliente bike park/flow trail in town is pretty cool. Super easy access. Perfect leg stretcher.

Some of the terrain not too far outside of Caliente is world class. You can see it on the drive between Caliente and Cedar City.

Doing a multi destination road trip through Ely-Caliente-Cedar City-St G/Hurricane-Vegas/Beatty makes for a fun loop. Lots of ways to mix it up. Roadside riding abounds. Nice mix of obscure + destination riding. Don't like one of the locations, then just proceed to the next.
    That's basically what I did this spring on a weeklong vaca, from Vegas hit Beatty, then Ely (Cave Lake and Ward Mtn), and Caliente. Super fun! I plan on hitting Caliente again this winter to try some cold riding.

Straight out tha traila
    Camped at Kershaw-Ryan State Park (SP). Rode Barnes Canyon area while there. Even if you don't camp at the SP, they have hot showers available after a day of riding ! The SP is building a trail network on land the State owns and part of that plan is a future connection to/from Barnes Canyon and the SP. Both the BLM, State, and community seen pretty serious about making this happen. The SP staff said their trail crew would be working all winter. The Barnes Canyon trail crew was working and camping out there during our ride.

If you are in the neighborhood or traveling through, it is worth checking out. Here is a link to online info and a trail map:

Mountain Bike Trails in Nevada | Near Las Vegas | Lincoln County, Nevada

On the map link above, trail 4 is a great climbing trail to get you to the current high point in the trail system....on the map you can see many trails to be constructed.

This is a long range vision/plan. Nothing happens overnight. Any support we can show these rural communities, helps everyone at the end of the day.

If you visit, let them know you are there to ride!
    Thx for that info, embedded video cuz it's cool.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, I'd be up for a road trip where I ride one place each day, fun to explore, but it'd be a solo trip unless I can pop into a hot springs or a fun town once a day.

If Caliente had a bike shop/coffee shop/pizza place like Fruita, that alone would be enough to make an overnight stay worthy.

Is there enough town and people to open up a co-op type business, perhaps using incubator $$ or run it as a vocational center...

Quote Originally Posted by 11053 View Post

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    Same here. Way to turn people off. Speaking of turning people off, I've dealt a bit with Patrick, too. Every time I posted something anti-IMBA he used to send me personal emails. Eventually I blocked him, then he facebook messaged me. Blocked him on there, too. I may hear from him again if he reads this. My response every time was, and will continue to be, "leave me alone with your words, I want to see action!"
    This thread is about what Patrick helped make happen.

Geez.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'd be up for a road trip where I ride one place each day, fun to explore, but it'd be a solo trip unless I can pop into a hot springs or a fun town once a day.

If Caliente had a bike shop/coffee shop/pizza place like Fruita, that alone would be enough to make an overnight stay worthy.

Is there enough town and people to open up a co-op type business, perhaps using incubator $$ or run it as a vocational center...
    As a town with amenities/things to do, Caliente has a LOOONG way to go. It's light years away today.
    However, many visitors will likely find it perfectly fine for an overnight.

Hotsprings you say?
    Home
    I'm pretty sure that the Naegleria Fowleri is still complimentary.

Nightlife and fine dining?
    Currently Knotty Pine gets it done.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/knotty-pine...ounge-caliente
    They are used to tourists and road trippers. The place doesn't suck. Just be realistic in your expectations and they could very well be exceeded.

Better than you'd expect. Has serious potential if they can cultivate a following.
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/side-track-restaurant-caliente

Good times or regrets both possible here:
    https://www.yelp.com/biz/shamrock-pub-caliente

Again, it's early days. Let's see what the trails look like a year from now.

The riding in the Iron Hills system in Cedar City is great. The best IMBA spec/machine and hand built new skool system stuff I've ridden. It is right off the highway and makes a good combo for a Caliente trip.

A loop from Vegas- CC-Caliente-Beatty is a good time with the right mindset.

Now, just need to get the vibrant metropolis of Tonopah in on the MTB singletrack game and that whole region will be heaven on earth...

Your Best Friend
    Caliente is about 2 hours from me. I think. It's definitely on the radar and word is out among the locals here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    So here's the thing about a place like Caliente:

I'm one of those guys who travels to ride, in winter I go south, in summer I go north. I currently living in Carson City NV, so south is Utah/NV/AZ/NM.

I would go to Caliente to ride, but my wife would not, primarily because there is nothing else there other than the trails.

My wife would choose to go to Moab first, GJ second, St George third, Sedona fourth only because it's further, then LV would be last. Caliente is really only a place that we'd go on the way to some other place. I certainly like trying different trails systems, but there has to be more than trails to attract me and mine.

Will Caliente develop into a Moab? I think that's very optimistic, but it's worth a shot.

Personally I'd like to see trail development within an hour drive of populated areas like Reno,

Local to us: Silver Springs/Dayton, Fallon, Yerington.

Another option is to build systems that are "on the way to another place", like Elko (Rubys).
    Have you checked out the new stuff at the Walker River SP, Ben? Or is anything even complete there?

How about Beatty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I finally made it down to ride the Barnes Canyon trails a few weeks back. Snow from a recent storm had just melted and the dirt was hero. The trails are well routed, scenic, and fun. Definitely worth stopping by. And best of all, there’s more on the way.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Straight out tha traila
    I finally made it down to ride the Barnes Canyon trails a few weeks back. Snow from a recent storm had just melted and the dirt was hero. The trails are well routed, scenic, and fun. Definitely worth stopping by. And best of all, there’s more on the way.

That pic is on the upper loop on the mesa right? That's so fun, big rocks to play around on! Did you see any new trails going anywhere?

mtbr member
    That pic is on the upper loop on the mesa right? That's so fun, big rocks to play around on! Did you see any new trails going anywhere?
    Right. We did it clockwise then descended the more advanced DH only trail. Good stuff.

We were with with Jon and Blake from the BLM. They showed us where one new trail was already starting to be built off the far side of the Mesa loop and told us about another descending trail that is nearly complete that runs between the other two.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Straight out tha traila
    Good to hear! I loved that downhill only trail too, we don't really have any here in the Vegas area.

Straight out tha traila
    Headed to Caliente tomorrow, anyone hear of a new trail to/from Kershaw Ryan State Park? Can't wait to ride the new Barnes Canyon stuff.

Straight out tha traila
    Me and a riding buddy spent a few days in Caliente last week, had a blast. There's a new techy DH only trail, a new climb around the back to it, and a whole new loop above the Kershaw Ryan state park. We camped out a little bit up the road from Barnes Canyon trailhead.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_193501-effects.jpg

Straight out tha traila
    The new Dh trail is very tech and very rocky, the trail builders put a ton of work into this judging by the size and amounts of rocks that were moved, amazing! It's not marked yet but if you hit the mesa you should be able to see where it tees off. There's a super steep and techy section where it drops in so if you don't like that you might want to turn around! Big janky rock berms are steep watch out! Kick ass trail!

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190506_124227.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190506_124252.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_164227.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_165259.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_164420.jpg

Straight out tha traila
    Some views from the Kershaw trail. Not sure where the official entry points will be (not officially open I guess), we started from the middle of town and went up Spring St, all the way up the canyon to the top where it turns to the radio towers above town.

From the top, it flows sooo good for a mile or two, so much fun. Little jumps, perfect berms. Then turns to ride the rim above Kershaw Ryan state park, awesome views. Finally climbs back up another canyon with some trees and shade and a few tech features here and there.

We met a dude from San Diego that was riding there, he had met the trail builder gal and said she was super cool (yes she)!

The red line is where the trail is, kinda hard to see in the picture.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_102107.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_103701.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190507_103715.jpg

Straight out tha traila
    IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190506_123924.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190505_182511.jpg

AND the bike park in town, check out the flow trails.

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20190505_124651.jpg

NedwannaB
    Looks like it's a worthwhile place for a self contained camp/ride getaway. What type bikes were you guys on? Travel/tire type wise I mean.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Looks like it's a worthwhile place for a self contained camp/ride getaway. What type bikes were you guys on? Travel/tire type wise I mean.
    Yep totally, I'm going to make it a point to drive up there from Vegas a few times per year for sure.

I'm on a reg trail bike Giant Trance 150/140 travel my bro was riding his YT Capra longer travel not sure of the specs. Both 27.5 but I think any bike would be capable for all the trails there. Except the 2 dh only trails the features can always be walked (and I do sometimes). The dirt is a little dry there and can be sandy in places, for tire choices.

FYI there is also no cell service at Barnes. There is at Kershaw.

NedwannaB
    Yep totally, I'm going to make it a point to drive up there from Vegas a few times per year for sure.

I'm on a reg trail bike Giant Trance 150/140 travel my bro was riding his YT Capra longer travel not sure of the specs. Both 27.5 but I think any bike would be capable for all the trails there. Except the 2 dh only trails the features can always be walked (and I do sometimes). The dirt is a little dry there and can be sandy in places, for tire choices.

FYI there is also no cell service at Barnes. There is at Kershaw.
    Thanks for beta. Have X-inlaws in Vegas, Bootleg is all I've heard down there never been, too rowdy for me.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

1st Annual Mountain Bike Fest

This thread started 5 years ago, but this is way longer than 5 years in the making! We're hosting our very first mountain bike fest - come ride and party with us!

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-2019-mountain-bike-fest-flyer.jpg

Shuttles to trails, dinner & drinks, live music, raffles, and more! Check out https://lincolncountynevada.com/event/mountainbikefest/ or our Facebook event on Caliente Mountain Biking for more info and to register.

Straight out tha traila
    Awesome!

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by xtine85 View Post
    This thread started 5 years ago, but this is way longer than 5 years in the making! We're hosting our very first mountain bike fest - come ride and party with us!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 Mountain Bike Fest Flyer.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	1270649

Shuttles to trails, dinner & drinks, live music, raffles, and more! Check out https://lincolncountynevada.com/event/mountainbikefest/ or our Facebook event on Caliente Mountain Biking for more info and to register.
    Uh oh that's the same dates as when the crazy storm Area 51 people are going to show up!

L1MEY
    What's Caliente like around Thanksgiving? Might be visiting the in-laws in Vegas this year and it'd be nice to spend a day riding in Caliente on the way back to Carson.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by xtine85 View Post

Name:	2019 Mountain Bike Fest Flyer.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	1270649

How was it? Did anyone go?

NedwannaB
    Sub'd. Again....
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bummer to miss it, had plans or would have come down. How’d it go?

Straight out tha traila
    I wanted to go but chickened out due to the storm area 51 madness that turned out to be "underwhelming" I should have went, oh well, next year! I plan on heading up there this fall to camp and ride a little.

I looked at some Strava segments over the weekend, looks like maybe 20-30 riders hit the Caliente trails, so probably more than that.

keepin' it rural
    We went up for the festival. It was good, nice weather, good community and the trails were well built, can't wait for more trails to open up. I was talking to one of the guys involved in the trail building and he said that there are plans to make a connector trail from the state park to the Barnes canyon system. If i had one small complaint, it would be that some of the trails at Barnes are a little too off camber. Not sure if that was done for drainage reasons or not but it made them feel a little unsettling at speed, anyways a good time was had by all and no interference from the area 51 kooks.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    What's Caliente like around Thanksgiving? Might be visiting the in-laws in Vegas this year and it'd be nice to spend a day riding in Caliente on the way back to Carson.
    It should be hero here this Thanksgiving! It's been raining since Tuesday night--the first moisture since May or June--so everything that is usually soft and sandy should be great. Plan to ride in real fall temperatures, not LV fall temperatures.

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by slimjim4 View Post
    It should be hero here this Thanksgiving! It's been raining since Tuesday night--the first moisture since May or June--so everything that is usually soft and sandy should be great. Plan to ride in real fall temperatures, not LV fall temperatures.
    I was there a couple weeks ago and it was pretty dry, the rain should make it awesome! I must say the Kershaw Ryan trail is soooo good. That descent from the radio tower flows perfectly, non-stop fun until you hit the sand dune!

Straight out tha traila
    My favorite little motel (Midway) had a sign on the door that said it was shut down by the city. Wonder what's going on there.

So I stayed at the Hot Springs motel. The mineral tubs were so good after riding all day

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20191109_163921.jpg

Straight out tha traila
    IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20191110_112559.jpg

keepin' it rural
    Which Guerrilla Gravity are you riding? I demoed a Megatrail and it's on my short list for a new bike. Also how do you like your MRP fork? I'm torn between that and the RS Lyric, but i have no time on any MRP fork.

Straight out tha traila
    Quote Originally Posted by summud View Post
    Which Guerrilla Gravity are you riding? I demoed a Megatrail and it's on my short list for a new bike. Also how do you like your MRP fork? I'm torn between that and the RS Lyric, but i have no time on any MRP fork.
    I got the Smash. Love it so far, took a bit longer to get than I expected but totally worth it. I think GG is getting a new frame building machine to speed things along I heard.

The MRP Ribbon air is awesome. I was a little worried at first because I'm a heavier rider thinking it would blow through the travel but I set it up per their instructions and it has been golden! I might even dial the ramp back a bit to get some more cush. And made in the USA well hell yeah.

The Megatrail looks to be the $hit! Go for it!

keepin' it rural
    Good to hear, that's what i was afraid of, been hearing good things about them, but the negatives that do come out are about it diving into corners and big hits, ie. not having enough mid stroke support. I know there is a lot of adjust ability so it's hard to discern with online reviews if the person just hadn't taken the time to dial it in. I get a little nit picky when talking $1000 forks. : )

mtbr member

Name:	20191110_112559.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	512.2 KB 
ID:	1294279
    Looking good! Did you Shred Dog your Smash? Those look like 27.5 + tires.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Straight out tha traila
    Looking good! Did you Shred Dog your Smash? Those look like 27.5 + tires.
    Nah would be fun though! For some reason that front tire looks huge in the picture.

L1MEY
    We did manage to visit Caliente last weekend on our way back from Thanksgiving in Vegas. Unfortunately there was too much snow on the ground to go riding (it was definitely frio and not caliente!) We stayed at the Hot Springs resort and loved it... really cozy and the private hot tub was awesome. We'll be back some time next year to try again.

mtbr member
    Just added this to my Nevada folder, should we ever get up that way!
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Just FYI: Kershaw-Ryan State Park is finishing up new additions to their mesa loop this month. Kevin Joell and Sierra Trail Works are killing it up there and it sounds like they've turned a previously unrideable black diamond descent into an actual trail now.

New stuff in the works from BLM, too. The top 8 miles of the Ella Mountain trail will be mint by summer and the 10 mile connection between Barnes Canyon and KRSP should be running later this year (if not straight through then at least for a sweet out-and-back).

mtbr member
    So would you say the area is good for (2) days of riding? I know guys that go over there from St George just for the day. Too long of a drive for us to do that.

For those of you that stayed in the Hot Springs Motel, what are the room rates? Their website is rather spartan.
    Carpe Diem!!

Straight out tha traila
    Just FYI: Kershaw-Ryan State Park is finishing up new additions to their mesa loop this month. Kevin Joell and Sierra Trail Works are killing it up there and it sounds like they've turned a previously unrideable black diamond descent into an actual trail now.

New stuff in the works from BLM, too. The top 8 miles of the Ella Mountain trail will be mint by summer and the 10 mile connection between Barnes Canyon and KRSP should be running later this year (if not straight through then at least for a sweet out-and-back).
    Unrideable trail would that be the one that climbs out of Kershaw? I've wondered where the "official" start of the trail is. I have just drove up Spring St I think it is and park up there somewhere. What's Ella Mt trail? I'll have to google that.

Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    So would you say the area is good for (2) days of riding? I know guys that go over there from St George just for the day. Too long of a drive for us to do that.

For those of you that stayed in the Hot Springs Motel, what are the room rates? Their website is rather spartan.
    I got the little room and was about 60 something I think. The bigger ones with a personal mineral tub are more. There's 4 or 5 separate spa rooms that are giant jacuzzis, drain and refill in minutes. They also have firewood laying around and a portable fire pit if you want to hang out in the parking lot around a campfire, pretty cool.

Straight out tha traila
    New stuff in the works from BLM, too. The top 8 miles of the Ella Mountain trail will be mint by summer
    So Ella has a firelookout at the top with a pretty good road up to it? I'm smelling a pretty sweet downhill shuttle trail!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    You're not wrong, it will be a sweet shuttle trail. But the terrain between the fire lookout and Caliente means that the trail will be mostly flowy back country trail riding rather than pure a pure DH shuttle run. There will be some super technical spots, and the upper 8 miles will be challenging, but the majority of the trail will be pretty cruiser with insane views and a big feeling of remoteness.

Straight out tha traila
    You're not wrong, it will be a sweet shuttle trail. But the terrain between the fire lookout and Caliente means that the trail will be mostly flowy back country trail riding rather than pure a pure DH shuttle run. There will be some super technical spots, and the upper 8 miles will be challenging, but the majority of the trail will be pretty cruiser with insane views and a big feeling of remoteness.
    Sounds like my kind of trail, looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Here's a video from Kevin Joell one of the builders for the new DH trail coming off the Kershaw Redemption loop back down into the Kershaw Ryan SP. Looks fun. Reminds me of Cowboy Trails down in Vegas.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fken t.robertson.10%2Fposts%2F10212559166133967&width=5 00" width="500" height="643" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

OK, embedding it didn't work. Here's the link to the FB post.

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.joell...77746521/?t=28

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Straight out tha traila
    Woo hoo looks rowdy steep!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Here's a video from Kevin Joell one of the builders for the new DH trail coming off the Kershaw Redemption loop back down into the Kershaw Ryan SP. Looks fun. Reminds me of Cowboy Trails down in Vegas.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fken t.robertson.10%2Fposts%2F10212559166133967&width=5 00" width="500" height="643" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

OK, embedding it didn't work. Here's the link to the FB post.

https://www.facebook.com/kevin.joell...77746521/?t=28
    We're going to ride it tonight when I get out of work! Really looking forward to it. Will record it and upload to TrailForks, too.

Straight out tha traila
    We're going to ride it tonight when I get out of work! Really looking forward to it. Will record it and upload to TrailForks, too.
    Slimjim is there a trailhead to climb out of the state park parking lot? I've just been driving up Spring street and parking wherever up top.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Straight out tha traila
    Spent a few days here again, my new go to parking spot is at the Kershaw Ryan state park, as the climb out of the canyon is done and rideable! Lots of shade, grass and water at the park, loved it. Hopefully the campground will re-open soon after the corona stuff, I'll probably camp there or get a room in town from now on. Barnes canyon trailhead construction is underway also, should be sweet!

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20200507_155444.jpg

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20200506_131044.jpg

The new DH only line down into the park, pretty steep! Above my skill level, had to walk a couple spots, but fun for sure!

IMBA + Caliente, NV = WTF?-20200507_135732.jpg

mtbr member
    Spent a few days here again, my new go to parking spot is at the Kershaw Ryan state park, as the climb out of the canyon is done and rideable! Lots of shade, grass and water at the park, loved it. Hopefully the campground will re-open soon after the corona stuff, I'll probably camp there or get a room in town from now on. Barnes canyon trailhead construction is underway also, should be sweet!

Name:	20200507_155444.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	496.8 KB 
ID:	1332179

Name:	20200506_131044.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	356.3 KB 
ID:	1332181

The new DH only line down into the park, pretty steep! Above my skill level, had to walk a couple spots, but fun for sure!

Name:	20200507_135732.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	559.3 KB 
ID:	1332183
    Nice. Yeah, I didn't realize they'd worked on and completed the switchback trail back up to the bench from KR SP when I went down. It is nicely routed and climbable. Kershaw Ryan looks like a nice place to stage from.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Nice. Yeah, I didn't realize they'd worked on and completed the switchback trail back up to the bench from KR SP when I went down. It is nicely routed and climbable. Kershaw Ryan looks like a nice place to stage from.
    Kershaw is a great spot to stage. It has everything you need, plus everything you want (wifi, showers, flush toilets). All trail construction has ground to a halt because of the pandemic, but once the link from Kershaw to Barnes is complete you'll be able to start and end a 25+ mile day at a wading pool at the park. Pretty sweet.

I'm sorry to report that there probably won't be anything new to ride here for a little while. Unless we can get a ton of productivity out of volunteers the connector and what's been started on Ella Mountain will remain in an unfinished state until next year.

We will post on this forum regarding dig days..maybe there are more people following this thread than the three of us.

NedwannaB
    Kershaw is a great spot to stage. It has everything you need, plus everything you want (wifi, showers, flush toilets). All trail construction has ground to a halt because of the pandemic, but once the link from Kershaw to Barnes is complete you'll be able to start and end a 25+ mile day at a wading pool at the park. Pretty sweet.

I'm sorry to report that there probably won't be anything new to ride here for a little while. Unless we can get a ton of productivity out of volunteers the connector and what's been started on Ella Mountain will remain in an unfinished state until next year.

We will post on this forum regarding dig days..maybe there are more people following this thread than the three of us.
    Thank you for the trail updates.
    NORCO Fluid FS
    Salsa Timberjack