Ideal Southern Nevada Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Ideal Southern Nevada Bike

I'm about to accept a job offer that means that I'm moving to southern Nevada. My employer is on the very edge of Henderson right by Boulder City, so I imagine that I'd end up trying to live either in Boulder City near Bootleg Canyon or in Paradise Hills of Henderson and accessing McCullough/Sloan Trails from the east. So those would be my weekday ride options, but I'd hope to make trips to other Vegas areas and other drivable destinations.

So, if you were moving to the Las Vegas metro area and were going to own one mountain bike, what would you choose?

Obviously the logical thing to do would be to keep my V1 Bronson, ride it different places, then decide where it's lacking and make my upgrade, but the job hunt process was large and tortuous and I got through it by thinking about riding at each place I applied, so I might jump the gun for my reward.

My candidates:

Ibis Ripmo AF:
    Pros: Affordable, I put a Topaz on my Bronson and love it, seems to be a pretty good balance between efficiency and chunk handling ability. I can get it at a local bike shop.
    Cons: Big enough for Bootleg? I'm not going to be racing downhill, but I wouldn't mind a little bike induced cushion for places that gnarly.

Propain Tyee:
    Pros: 170f/160r gives a bit more suspension travel and it's a bit slacker. It apparently pedals super well, but gives up a bit of suppleness off the top for that. Really well specced for the money. Chainstays seem bang on in the size I'd be looking at.
    Cons: Not currently available in the US (though supposedly soon).

Raaw Madonna V2:
    Pros: Gorgeous. Geometry looks great for Bootleg (though the BB is low). Supposedly more lively to ride than the Spec Enduro on mellower stuff.
    Cons: Too much bike for non-gnar? Expensive compared to the others (though decent value).

Deviate Highlander:
    Pros: High single pivot would seem ideal for rough chunky trails. Apparently climbs excellently (I've seen positive comparisons to Ripmos). Maybe even more unique than the others.
    Cons: Is 140mm only 140mm even if it's HSP? One reviewer thought the antisquat on the biggest cog made it hardtail like, for good and bad when grinding up things. Expensive compared to others. Have to import. Right now it's only frame only and XLs aren't in yet, which I think I'd need.

The Hutch
    I vote for Niner Rip 9 rdo
    follow me
    on FB @hutchsbicyclegarage
    on instagram @hutchsbicyclegarage
    and @robbhutch
    on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    I like the bike. Do you not think that it would be a bit undergunned for Bootleg Canyon? My wife seems to want to live in Boulder City, which is fine by me, so Bootleg would by my regular ride.

Also, I feel like the budget spec is TERRIBLE. The 3 Star XT build isn't a screaming deal at 5700, but it's also it's not terrible compared to other smaller brands' carbon offerings (it does use an SLX cassette). But they then drop down to SX(!) on a $4400 bike for the 2 Star Build. That's painful.

Also, I'm only buying into the Rip 9 RDO if I can get the trout paint scheme! I may be the only one, but I legit loved it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty much on MTB websites daily, read a few magazines and thought I was relatively up to speed on most of the bikes out there but I've never even heard of Raw or Deviate and I've never seen a Propain in person, much less in a shop in the US. I've only ridden at Bootleg once and that was on a V1 Santa Cruz Tallboy a lifetime ago. A friend and I did the XC related stuff on that trip and set our buys loose on the DH stuff. It's a pretty chunky place. Even though I now always have a 170 travel bike handy, Bootleg wouldn't be a place I'd personally want to ride often.

Since I'm not qualified to comment on the bikes on your list, if I could only have one bike, I guess it would be a 160F/145R type bike....or quite possibly the new Revel Rascal which has the best rear suspension I've ever experienced. Plus I'd be spending a lot of time in St George anyway.
    Carpe Diem!!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    How much bike you need at Bootleg depends on how fast you're going to be riding descents and how much you want to suffer on the climbs.

Durable tires are more important than anything else there. How fast you go down the rougher and faster trails will be determined by your ability, your desire to absorb punishment, and your bike's ability to absorb punishment...but mostly your ability.

It's also pretty much the only place in town where an enduro bike is the right choice, assuming you're willing to ride it like an enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I'm pretty much on MTB websites daily, read a few magazines and thought I was relatively up to speed on most of the bikes out there but I've never even heard of Raw or Deviate and I've never seen a Propain in person, much less in a shop in the US. I've only ridden at Bootleg once and that was on a V1 Santa Cruz Tallboy a lifetime ago. A friend and I did the XC related stuff on that trip and set our buys loose on the DH stuff. It's a pretty chunky place. Even though I now always have a 170 travel bike handy, Bootleg wouldn't be a place I'd personally want to ride often.

Since I'm not qualified to comment on the bikes on your list, if I could only have one bike, I guess it would be a 160F/145R type bike....or quite possibly the new Revel Rascal which has the best rear suspension I've ever experienced. Plus I'd be spending a lot of time in St George anyway.
    Propain isn't available in the US yet, so it's not surprising that you haven't seen one. They supposedly will announce their US availability in the next few weeks though (according to their corporate account responding to comments on a Pinkbike article a few days ago).

Would i say Bootleg Canyon is my dream trail system for riding a couple of times a week? Probably not. But it's certainly not on the bottom of the list. I'm an academic, so it's not always easy to be choosy about where I live. There are many worse places than Boulder City for riding, so I won't take Bootleg for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    How much bike you need at Bootleg depends on how fast you're going to be riding descents and how much you want to suffer on the climbs.

Durable tires are more important than anything else there. How fast you go down the rougher and faster trails will be determined by your ability, your desire to absorb punishment, and your bike's ability to absorb punishment...but mostly your ability.

It's also pretty much the only place in town where an enduro bike is the right choice, assuming you're willing to ride it like an enduro bike.
    Hmm, so maybe a bike like the Ripmo would be ideal overall. I'm not committed to flying down descents. I'm a decent rider, no better, and while I enjoyed my one day at Bootleg in the past (on a rented last gen Enduro), I don't think my more regular rides will be flying down Ginger at race pace. But I was really grateful for all of the Enduro's suspension as I came in a little hot down the straighter, faster bottom half of Reaper and found one of the up and down undulations was more of a drop than a roller, so I do like the little extra margin that a bigger bike gives me at a place like that. Though in a few months, I might know it much better and it will seem more mundane.

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Not that it's relevant to this discussion but at one time, we had 5 guys on the 1st Gen Bronson. Now two of them are on Ripmo's, one is on a 2019 Nomad, one on a 2019 Bronson and one is still riding his older Bronson with a 2x9 drivetrain. If your Bronson isn't clapped out, I might keep it and get a 2nd bike instead like a Ripley, Rascal, Mach 429T, etc...
    Carpe Diem!!

NedwannaB
    I'm with k2. Pretty eclectic list of bikes. I'd say ride your SC there initialy for abit to get to familiarize yourself with the trails. Maybe checkout what variety of bikes riders are using out there and demo a couple. I'd also say the AF would be good the big wheels will make up for the slightly less travel of your Bronson.
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    So you saw the Kyle Warner vid on his run in Bootleg too.....
    Ripley V1 XC/Gravel Adventure rig
    Marin Hawk Hill 2.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    I'm with k2. Pretty eclectic list of bikes. I'd say ride your SC there initialy for abit to get to familiarize yourself with the trails. Maybe checkout what variety of bikes riders are using out there and demo a couple. I'd also say the AF would be good the big wheels will make up for the slightly less travel of your Bronson.
    I'll probably end up just taking the Bronson out. Current travel restrictions make it unlikely that I'll even be able to go out and look at houses, so I'll probably need to find a rental and it might be closer to places other than Boulder City and Bootleg - which in turn could mean that we end up living in those other places more permanently. So, I'll probably hold off on the bike until we figure out what my everyday trail system is going to be (though I'll be near Bootleg for work every day, so it should hold up to that).

But I do like supporting smaller bike companies, so if I could make the Deviate or RAAW work, I'd be excited to do so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So you still got a job offer with all the work slow down?

Iíd kept the Bronson, youíre gonna want a bike that can take big hits and is agile. A
    Just cuz youíre leaving tight New England trees for high desert dirt and rock doesnít mean necessitate a bike change; yes, you will need burlier tires.

When it gets hot youíre gonna wanna head toward Cedar City/Hurricane, a nice agile bike will be a nice thing up that way.

Get used to riding with lights, come summer itíll be too hot to ride during the daytime.

If you get tired of being hot, take a drive north to Tahoe, we can go ride in the trees 😊
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:00 AM.
    GG Megatrail (Braaap!)
    GG Trail Pistola (speedy)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What Nurse Ben said. Don't forget Cowboy trails, they've got some of the gnar as well. Maybe take a look at Spot Rollick 150.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    So you still got a job offer with all the work slow down?

Iíd kept the Bronson, youíre gonna want a bike that can take big hits and is agile. A
    Just cuz youíre leaving tight New England trees for high desert dirt and rock doesnít mean necessitate a bike change; yes, you will need burlier tires.

When it gets hot youíre gonna wanna head toward Cedar City/Hurricane, a nice agile bike will be a nice thing up that way.

Get used to riding with lights, come summer itíll be too hot to ride during the daytime.

If you get tired of being hot, take a drive north to Tahoe, we can go ride in the trees 😊
    i did. I sweated it a bit as the sh*t the fan after they made the offer, but I talked to HR and supposedly everything is going forward.

Funny you should mention Tahoe: the only bad thing about getting this job was that I had to pull out of an interview with Lake Tahoe Community College. Boy did I fantasize about moving to Tahoe, but in the end a bird in hand is valuable at a time like this, Nevada State made me a good offer (particularly factoring in cost of living differences), and I suspect it would have been hard for my wife to get a job in Lake Tahoe. Still...I was conflicted. I was basically sure I was getting an offer from a third college, so I had the chance to walk some guaranteed work forward, but then everything hit and that third college wasn't in a strong financial position. I was kind of hoping that HR would take an extra few days to confirm that the position was going forward so I could have interviewed with Lake Tahoe CC in good faith even after accepting, but they got back to me the day before my interview and so I cancelled it.

I'll probably keep the Bronson for now and get some burly tires. I do really like the bike, esp. with its angleset and Topaz. Every so often I wish for some more forgiveness though (almost always in the park), and for how rocky things seemed to be at Bootleg, I thought a 29er might be nice. And I just wanted to reward myself after the job search. Given I won't be able to demo for a bit, I may just wait though.

DougA, I definitely will remember Cowboy Trails. I'm actually really excited for a lot of stuff in the Vegas Area and then to expand to stuff outside it.