Gooseberry/Little Creek- Mtbr.com
    Young, Shawn Young

Gooseberry/Little Creek

Friend and I are planning a run up to Hurricane for a day trip on October 11. If anyone interested in going give a holler. We will probably leave early Monday and get back 7 or 8pm.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    My son and I are planning a road trip for that weekend to Moab and/or Fruita, but if that falls through I'd definitely be up for a day trip to Gooseberry on that Monday. I'll let you know.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    My son and I are planning a road trip for that weekend to Moab and/or Fruita, but if that falls through I'd definitely be up for a day trip to Gooseberry on that Monday. I'll let you know.
    Sounds good to me. I would love to go to Fruita some day. I went to Moab about three years ago now and had a blast. How much further is Fruita from Moab drive time ?

Perpetually single track
    Assuming you DON"T turn off I-70(coming from Vegas) at all for Moab, it'd be about another hour. From Moab proper about 1.5 hours to Fruita.

Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Can't get off work

Make sure you take some pic's up there.

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by aggro
    Make sure you take some pic's up there.
    Come on man, call in! Gooseberry is awesome and well worth playing hooky for a day. Ive done it a few times myself when I felt like getting out for the day. Call in to work, tell the wife you will bring her out to dinner the next night, buy the kid a toy and your all set. JUST DO IT!

Mar 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm Ouch!

Your twisting my arm!

desert dweller

Gooseberry

We're heading to St. George Thursday night for a nice morning ride at Gooseberry Friday morning. It's a great time of year to go.

matt

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    We're heading to St. George Thursday night for a nice morning ride at Gooseberry Friday morning. It's a great time of year to go.

matt
    Camping out?

desert dweller

the goose

Naw, we're staying with my friend's family.

mtbr member

Phoenix crew there Mon. afternoon

Probably going to ride this Mon. afternoon. May hit other local trails Tue. morning.

desert dweller

Gooseberry Ride

Did the Gooseberry thing. Unfortunately, while I was cleaning my Ventana I noticed some stress cracks in the Chainstays. Bummer. So I rented and Ellsworth Issus in Springdale and rode anyway. It was a blast, thought the Ells was pretty massively undersprung for my weight and the Manitou Black fork wasn't kind when it bottomed on everything possible. Still had fun. On eof the guys I rode with fell over backwards right into a cactus. I couldn't get my camera out quick enough to get a picture of him getting the spines out of his bum.

matt

Young, Shawn Young
    Bummer that you had to rent a ride, especially for Gooseberry. I really like to know what I can expect from my bike in the technical stuff. Im still planning on being up there on the 14.

I tried to get a ride in at Bootleg tonight but it was a mob scene with Interbike. Headed out to Cottonwood and did about five miles before it was to dark to see. I made a pit stop at the truck to get my light and did another 5 night ride style

Shawn

mtbr member
    May 2004

Goose trouble spot

Has anyone cleared or personally witnessed someone clear that final, short, near vertical, slickrock ramp just before you get to "The Point" on the west end of the mesa? Coming down isn't so bad, but the few times I've tried going up, I would stall and barely be able to jump of the bike and land on my feet.

I finally cleared all the other sections (my usual route: from parking- Cattleguard Trail to God's Skatepark to South Rim Trail, out-and-back on Hidden Canyon, continue on South Rim Trail to The Point) on my last trip, but that last "wall" haunts me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421onthemic
    Has anyone cleared or personally witnessed someone clear that final, short, near vertical, slickrock ramp just before you get to "The Point" on the west end of the mesa? Coming down isn't so bad, but the few times I've tried going up, I would stall and barely be able to jump of the bike and land on my feet.

I finally cleared all the other sections (my usual route: from parking- Cattleguard Trail to God's Skatepark to South Rim Trail, out-and-back on Hidden Canyon, continue on South Rim Trail to The Point) on my last trip, but that last "wall" haunts me.
    Hell yea, that one is a *****. Ive made it once out of many tries. Almost made it twice on a trip last year. I was almost to the top and I ran out of power. Not really sure what happened but I just started flailing my legs and actually rode back down the rock backwards using my feet to keep me upright. The guys I was riding with said it was the coolest thing they ever seen

Shawn

Young, Shawn Young
    Im still planning on going the 11th if anyone has plans to be in the area

mtbr member
    I've also made it once.....sort of. I kind of veered left into the bush at the top and had to dab but I was at the top. It's kind of hard getting much of a run with the sharp right turn as you approach, but because there's plenty of traction, if you've got the legs it's more of a mental thing. It just doesn't look like you should be able to ride up it.

I remember the first time I went to gooseberry i walked (climbed) up and down and remember wondering if anyone actually rode it.

Hey Shawn, A couple buddies and I are going to Gooseberry monday. We're leaving here about 6 or 7am so won't get there until 11:00 or 12:00 Utah time. What are you driving? I'll have my cell phone if you want to try and make connections. Check your pm.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Man, you guys are good! What gear are you guys in when you do that ramp? My somewhat archaic single-pivot suspension gives a lot of pedal feedback in granny, so I rarely use it. Thus, when I try that ramp, I'll use a middle ring X 32t cog drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Man, you guys are good! What gear are you guys in when you do that ramp? My somewhat archaic single-pivot suspension gives a lot of pedal feedback in granny, so I rarely use it. Thus, when I try that ramp, I'll use a middle ring X 32t cog drivetrain.
    I think middle ring with a 34 tooth would be about right. Middle with a 32 would be a little tall for me maybe for that spot although that's what I used for most of the ramps yesterday at gooseberry. On that climb I think I went with granny and second cog because of the short run and not wanting to end up running out of legs half way up and rolling back down like Redmon described. It didn't seem too hard yesterday for some reason.

Keep trying it. You'll get it. Approach from the right and angle towards the left as you climb and it midigates the steepness quite a bit.

Young, Shawn Young
    I never use granny for anything(cept damn boyscout trail in BC). I use middle and 2 I think. After teaching/training my self never to use the granny gear Ive hardly ever looked back. When I do use it it just seems so pathetic just spinning away

Shawn

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Has anyone cleared or personally witnessed someone clear that final, short, near vertical, slickrock ramp just before you get to "The Point" on the west end of the mesa?
    are you talking about the one that is on the out-and-back portion at the end of the point? i cleaned it on 2 different lines. krob also rode it. actually i cleaned everything on every trail on monday. i think krob might have cleaned everything also. there were a couple sections that we had to do twice, but we got up it all. at least i think we rode everything. krob would know better.

as for gearing, i never ever use the granny anywhere at gooseberry, or anywhere else technical. my lowest 2 gears on the middle ring (whatever they are) are the gears of choice to maintain momentum in steep rocky stuff.

-mark
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Sep 2004

Gooseberry history lesson

I have been riding Gooseberry for about 8 years now and every year that pitch gets a little more difficult. I could ride it six years ago but haven't cleaned it recently. The sand at the bottom is progressively getting worn away making the climb taller and also revealing quite a steep start. 8 years ago the start was about 1.5 feet up the wall from where it is now. The traffic up there has increased a lot over the past couple of years and last time we were up there was the first time my hubby dabbed on it. He is super smooth and rides it in his granny. He is on a HT.