Carson City bike park?- Mtbr.com
    L1MEY

Carson City bike park?

Does anyone have any intel on a potential bike park/pump track for Carson City? Everyone else in the area has one except us... Dayton just approved building one near their skate park, Gardnerville, South Lake Tahoe, Incline Village, Truckee and Reno all have them. We have a great BMX track, which I do ride on my BMX when they are open, but it's not like you can just go there any time and practice.

Full disclosure... I work for the City, though not in any decision making capacity, and I've been asking people I know about it for a while. I've heard everything from "We have no money" to "That's more of a Muscle Powered thing" and "That's a good idea, maybe there's a grant for that". I haven't stepped it up to people I don't know yet, though I did send an email enquiry to Muscle Powered and haven't heard anything.

Note that this is not so much a complaint as a "who do we bug for this"? I'm more than willing to donate time and money to a bike park building effort, but I've run out of avenues to explore. A bike park would be awesome for Carson, especially as we are positioning ourselves as a mountain biking destination. If anyone has any leads, please share so we can make it happen!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Short-Change-Hero
    As far as I know, talking with Moser and Potter, a true "bike park" like you see in Truckee or South Tahoe is not something in the works due to the proximity to the other parks. We have a small "park" in Mills Park that everyone rides on their skateboards, razers, etc. but that is really more of a skate park type area. Outside of that I was thinking it would be kinda cool to develop the lower Ash Canyon area into somewhat of a bike park/skills park.

I dont know that it has ever really been proposed as a "next" project simply because we have been worried about expanding our current trail networks to encompass a proposed 20yr plan that will link Genoa to Peavine. However, that is more of a pie-in-the-sky type plan but something that looks to be slowly coming to fruition with the additional trails being added to Clear Creek to link to Spooner then to come down Kings, etc.

Farmers Market is about to start on Saturday's and MusclePowered always has the bike valet out there so maybe stop by one day and talk with them. (I work for the state so I know what your are talking about with asking people).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    When I lived in Wenatchee, the Town of Leavenworth built a paved pump track, it was AMAZING!

It takes money and place to build it. I can think of some places where a park could be built, like over near the BMX track... or at my house

Carson City would be an ideal place to build a bike park because we have the best weather, ie least snow, we have the builders and the equipment, and we have a core group of public, private, and govt that could make it happen.

The problem I foresee is that Muscle Power is working on projects that seem to "go nowhere" and/or serve the needs of a race, whereas projects that would serve the greater community like building year round trails at Centennial or Prison Hill are stagnating.

I'm new around these parts, but I'm not new to trail building and planning.

I've seem more "production" out of the Carson Valley Trail Association that Musclepower in the year since I moved back to NV. They have nearly completed a six mile connector trail that adds another trail connection from Carson Valley to the TRT, awesome work!

No offense intended, but when one or two people show for trail building on Prison Hill to build a diversion that's not necessary; Prison Hill could be a trail riding mecca akin to Lunch Loops in Grand Junction, meanwhile dozens show up to build the Secret Trail that goes from nowhere and ends at nowhere, ya gotta wonder.

I'll support anything that adds riding options, though I'd be more likely to support trail building in places that provide for more year round use.

On a bright note, Carson is way more together than Reno!
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

L1MEY
    The year round rideability is the clincher for Carson as compared with the surrounding towns. While Incline, SLT and Truckee are buried, we could be shredding down here even in winter.

When I talked to one of the City people they said that Muscle Powered had expressed an interest in something on the west side near Ash Canyon. The City doesn't own a lot of land over that way so it would have to be on someone else's land if that were the case. My thought was to build it near the BMX track like Ben mentioned... not sure how that would work with the master plan for the Edmonds Sports Complex though as it's supposedly only half built right now (I don't work for Parks so I'm fuzzy on the specifics). Another coworker suggested out by the dump where they are currently building a disc golf course. The City has a lot of land there but it's not really a great destination to ride to... you'd have to drive unless you wanted to slog up that hill breathing diesel fumes.

One thing I do know is that there are a bunch of large road projects coming up and I bet there will be (literally) tons of dirt coming out of the ground, some of which won't be reused. It's the same with all these new housing projects going up... tons of dirt is being moved from behind the Fandango to Lompa Ranch. A patch of land, a donation of dirt and a loaner Bobcat, and we'd be in business.

Short-Change-Hero
    I think you hit it on the head Jen, there just is no land that the city owns that would really be a prime location. I know that most of the land around the city is either USFS or BLM. From what I remember from years ago they were an absolute $*&#%^ to work with to get things taken care of at Ash Canyon. On top of that, getting everything for the Ash to Kings connector took close to 7yrs to get in order BEFORE they started even building on it.

The problem with Centennial and Prison Hill is those are technically illegal trails on non-city lands. BLM/USFS has turned a blind eye during that time simply because they did not want to prosecute anyone for illegal building (one of my riding friends used to maintain the Centennial trails on his own when they lived on that side of town). I know Muscle Powered and the City are working to purchase the lands those trails are on, as well as stuff over for Secret Trail, to continue building the trail networks.

But like anything else that is govt. involved, there is lots of bureaucracy and politics involved that cause more harm than good. I haven't actually heard if the private land purchase over by Secret Trail actually went through, last I knew was the city had plan to make an offer but the land owner received a cash offer from a private party after they had given a verbal promissory note to the city. I believe that if we can get rid of some of the current people in political power that want Carson to resemble somewhat of a retirement community vs. a burgeoning outdoor destination, we could actually get things moving quicker.

If we were to place a Pump track type place I think centrally located in town would be awesome. Land I always thought would be cool, if we couldn't do the lower part of Ash Canyon between the paved path and the water towers, would be the old train depot area right behind Jack in the Box off of hwy50/williams and stewart.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just started following the Grassroots bike series on Facebook for SkyTavern and looks like they are building a pump track?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    I think you hit it on the head Jen, there just is no land that the city owns that would really be a prime location. I know that most of the land around the city is either USFS or BLM. From what I remember from years ago they were an absolute $*&#%^ to work with to get things taken care of at Ash Canyon. On top of that, getting everything for the Ash to Kings connector took close to 7yrs to get in order BEFORE they started even building on it.

The problem with Centennial and Prison Hill is those are technically illegal trails on non-city lands. BLM/USFS has turned a blind eye during that time simply because they did not want to prosecute anyone for illegal building (one of my riding friends used to maintain the Centennial trails on his own when they lived on that side of town). I know Muscle Powered and the City are working to purchase the lands those trails are on, as well as stuff over for Secret Trail, to continue building the trail networks.

But like anything else that is govt. involved, there is lots of bureaucracy and politics involved that cause more harm than good. I haven't actually heard if the private land purchase over by Secret Trail actually went through, last I knew was the city had plan to make an offer but the land owner received a cash offer from a private party after they had given a verbal promissory note to the city. I believe that if we can get rid of some of the current people in political power that want Carson to resemble somewhat of a retirement community vs. a burgeoning outdoor destination, we could actually get things moving quicker.

If we were to place a Pump track type place I think centrally located in town would be awesome. Land I always thought would be cool, if we couldn't do the lower part of Ash Canyon between the paved path and the water towers, would be the old train depot area right behind Jack in the Box off of hwy50/williams and stewart.
    You are actually wrong all of Prison Hill is City of Carson Open Space. Then you talk of illegal trails you do realize a lot of Ash Canyon trails are built on Private Property. Look at aerial lot maps if you don't believe me. They are just one pissed off land owner away from stopping you riding most of ash canyon.
    2016 YT Capra
    Ash Caynon

Short-Change-Hero
    You're right a lot of Ash Canyon is one pissed off owner away however they are not "illegal" trails as the owners have consented to the land use and sharing the land. Thanks for the correction on the Prison Hill, for some reason I thought I was told it was not city lands. Good to know that it is open space stuff.

L1MEY
    I think Prison Hill used to be BLM but it was transferred to the City a few years back. It's the same with Silver Saddle Ranch. Both areas were transferred on the condition that they be used as open space/recreation areas. Prison Hill would be a tough area to build a pump track... lots of people ride motos there and they would destroy a bicycle pump track in pretty short order if it wasn't fenced off.

You can access a map of all the City's property here: www.carson.org/mapgeo

If you click on the Map Themes icon, then the Land Use & Planning drop down, then turn on Land Ownership by Tax Exemption it shows you all the publicly owned property in the city (thanks to a coworker for showing me this). This is a pretty cool resource

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks Jen!! That is actually really cool, in the themes make sure to click on the Trails/Bikeways. That marks some of the trails that are in the Ash Canyon area.
    Green = USFS
    Olive/OliveDrab = Carson City
    Light Green = Privately owned
    Light Brown (almost gray) = US/BLM land
    Light Yellow/Brown = State of Nevada Land

L1MEY
    So here's the latest I've found out from bugging people I vaguely know...

Apparently there was a kid who was working on planning a pump track over by the college for his Eagle Scout project. The land was owned by WNC and abutted City property so it must be one of the parcels either just north or west of the Foothill trailhead or directly behind the college. I've no idea how far along this is or whether he's still pursuing it, or even who the kid is... this is all 3rd hand info.

The other thing is that the City seems to be cool with allowing this type of project to go ahead on their property as long as the group organising it has a solid plan for building and maintenance and funding or grant money in place to make it happen. They did something similar for the disc golf course up by the rifle range... the group got a grant for a parking lot and the City oversaw the construction. It's built on City property and the disc golf people will be responsible building the course itself and keeping it up.

L1MEY
    Bumping this thread as everyone I talk to in the City (Parks and Public Works) seems to be really enthusiastic about the idea of a bike park/pump track, but location and funding are the sticking points. The Parks Dept. is under the impression that riders want this to be on the west side. My thought is that the best locations are ones where the City already has infrastructure and facilities such as Mills Park, Edmonds Sports Complex or Centennial Park. That way there is already ample parking and bathrooms. If we want this to happen I think the City needs to hear from us, the riders, on what we want and where we want it. Here is the contact page for the Parks Dept. If you have any comments or suggestions, contact Jennifer Budge (director), Ann Bollinger (open space), Gregg Berggren (trails) and Dave Navarro (parks). I'm doing my best to sell the idea to them on the inside, but I'm not part of the department that makes these decisions so they really need to hear from you!

https://carson.org/government/depart...ace/contact-us

Short-Change-Hero
    This definitely would be interesting and fun but I think the main thing that the city lacks is a "large enough" plot of land to house a decent pump track/bike park that isn't already occupied by something. Mills park would be awesome as it is centrally located and whatnot but the park is used for SO MANY other events that the community would never back changing that venue.

Anything else that IS large enough would be on the outskirts of town and most will not want to travel outside a small area to be able to access that as there are really no other amenities nearby. This is why everyone wants it on the west side, at the base of Ash Canyon. If you look at places like Biyou or the Truckee Bike Park they are fairly decent sized and for the most part are centrally located near amenities that tourists and locals want to use.

At least that is my opinion behind it. An good place, though not ideal, would be the old armory location near Lowes. Plenty of land there to get a decent bike park/pump track in place with multiple lanes of skill level, plenty of parking, near good amenities and not far off the beaten path. But that is not County/City owned I don't believe.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    This definitely would be interesting and fun but I think the main thing that the city lacks is a "large enough" plot of land to house a decent pump track/bike park that isn't already occupied by something. Mills park would be awesome as it is centrally located and whatnot but the park is used for SO MANY other events that the community would never back changing that venue.

Anything else that IS large enough would be on the outskirts of town and most will not want to travel outside a small area to be able to access that as there are really no other amenities nearby. This is why everyone wants it on the west side, at the base of Ash Canyon. If you look at places like Biyou or the Truckee Bike Park they are fairly decent sized and for the most part are centrally located near amenities that tourists and locals want to use.

At least that is my opinion behind it. An good place, though not ideal, would be the old armory location near Lowes. Plenty of land there to get a decent bike park/pump track in place with multiple lanes of skill level, plenty of parking, near good amenities and not far off the beaten path. But that is not County/City owned I don't believe.
    I particpated in the planning process for a couple of these tracks in Washington, one was done in asphalt by Velo Solutions, the other was done in dirt by a local group. The funding for the asphalt track was paid for by the city, the dirt track was all volunteer.

It does not take much space for a pump track, one could easily be built in the Centennial Park area. Mills Park is not a good sight as it's already a bit congested. If you want a jump park, that does take space, and it may be perceived as excessive liability by the city.

The folks who planned and built the Truckee bike park would be a good place to start.

That said, I'd rather see this energy go into trail development on slopes that stay snow free in the winter, ie Prison Hill, Centennial, Goni. Currently we are snowed in for a few months to six months on existing trails. I see this as that is a major barrier to year round riding access and growth of this area as a mountain biking destination.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

L1MEY
    One of the City's major hangups about this is maintenance. They can't provide Parks Dept. staff to look after a pump track and apparently Muscle Powered doesn't want the responsibility of maintaining it either, as trails are more their thing. The City's suggestion is that a separate non profit group is set up to take responsibility for running and maintaining it.

As for Prison Hill, there is a new trail and trailhead going in there right now on 5th St. The trailhead construction started a couple of weeks ago and will have a parking area and pit toilet. I'm not sure on the specifics of the trail itself or the route, but Great Basin Institute is doing the construction and they were due to start yesterday. There is also a new trail planned for Centennial that will go down to Washoe Lake.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    One of the City's major hangups about this is maintenance. They can't provide Parks Dept. staff to look after a pump track and apparently Muscle Powered doesn't want the responsibility of maintaining it either, as trails are more their thing. The City's suggestion is that a separate non profit group is set up to take responsibility for running and maintaining it.

As for Prison Hill, there is a new trail and trailhead going in there right now on 5th St. The trailhead construction started a couple of weeks ago and will have a parking area and pit toilet. I'm not sure on the specifics of the trail itself or the route, but Great Basin Institute is doing the construction and they were due to start yesterday. There is also a new trail planned for Centennial that will go down to Washoe Lake.
    Yup, heard about both, participated in some reroutes and walking the route for the major reroute around Koontz drainage, hopefully things move along a little faster, it's been two years since we walked the proposed trail.

The Centennial to Washoe trail will be awesome, it passes a few hundred yards above my house in Goni. I offered to Jeff that I'd run a mini dozer and do the building.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    The Centennial to Washoe trail will be awesome, it passes a few hundred yards above my house in Goni.
    Where will it pop out on the Washoe side?

L1MEY
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    Where will it pop out on the Washoe side?
    I think it's supposed to go down to where the State Park is... not the camping bit but the main day use parking area. At least that's what it looks like on the map. I'm not sure if I can post a .pdf on here but if you go to the main Carson City website and search for "UPMP" there's a map showing existing and proposed trails throughout the city.

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    if you go to the main Carson City website and search for "UPMP" there's a map showing existing and proposed trails throughout the city.
    Perfect, there's a lot of stuff to look forward to!