mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mountain Cycle (official post)

Sneak Peek!!!
    Slope Style Prototype.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    That ended up looking alot nicer than I expected. What size shock does it use?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eknomf
    That ended up looking alot nicer than I expected. What size shock does it use?
    It has a 6.5" x 1.5" that gives it 4" travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Do you know why landon designed it around that size? It looks like it would have clearance for a 7.5x2 or something. A bigger shock like that seems like it would make more sense because of the lower leverage ratio, extra shock options, and no real weight increase.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Do you know why landon designed it around that size? It looks like it would have clearance for a 7.5x2 or something. A bigger shock like that seems like it would make more sense because of the lower leverage ratio, extra shock options, and no real weight increase.
    7.5" x 2" would give it a 2 to 1 ratio, that's no good. It would be far too over-damped.
    6.5" x 1.5" gives it less than 3 to 1, which is just right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yes TWISTED I agree you are correct!

mtbr member

Wow

Looks good except it's going to have some serious feedback issues with that really high forward pivot. Should be a snappy peddaler though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Twisted,

Looks like a fun bike, but I am still holding out for an Internal Transmission MC. Should I at least be optimistic?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

MC Rumble Single Speed

MC Rumble Single Speed:

Rennen Tensioner
    Sram PG-1 1/2"X1/8" SS chain
    Gusset 1-ER spacers
    Chris King Stainless 17t cog
    32t up front

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Flames!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    New super light Mountain Cycle 9.5 SL.
    Thinner skins, machined out links, Titanium hardware, and Fox DHX Air.

New Mountain Cycle slope-style prototype

New prototype 5" XC

'06 9.5

'06 Rumble
    Last edited by TWISTED; 10-02-2005 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Have you weighed the light 9.5 compared to the normal one? If so whats the difference?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Have you weighed the light 9.5 compared to the normal one? If so whats the difference?
    I think it's around three pounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    do you know what the orange one comes to complete?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    do you know what the orange one comes to complete?
    Do you mean weight?
    The production version will look different and be much lighter, it'll be better for sure.
    The orange proto frame is heavier than the 9.5 SL.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hi Twisted,
    I have a 04 Black Ano 9point5 fully loaded with super high end bombproof components total weight around 21.3kg.What do you think?Is that I have to switch back to a light weight DH version?Need help,thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9point5
    Hi Twisted,
    I have a 04 Black Ano 9point5 fully loaded with super high end bombproof components total weight around 21.3kg.What do you think?Is that I have to switch back to a light weight DH version?Need help,thanks.
    The new 9.5 SL won't be made available to the public for a little while. We still have some more testing left to do to be sure it is both strong as possible and as light as we feel is safe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo9point5
    Hi Twisted,
    You could probably just get the ti bolts, lighter linkage, and dhx air and accomplish almost the same thing, but still have the stronger version of the frame

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    yeah good idea....maybe....but I still prefer a stonger & heavier 9.5

Jul 2005
    i've been kickin the ball around about getting either a VP-Free, a Dirtbag, or one of the MC bikes (DNA or a Sin) and have been wondering what a moderately built DNA or Sin would weigh in at... i think the DNA is more what i'm looking for since i still need it to be able to climb with it (unless a Sin can climb well...)

any input???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckin
    i've been kickin the ball around about getting either a VP-Free, a Dirtbag, or one of the MC bikes (DNA or a Sin) and have been wondering what a moderately built DNA or Sin would weigh in at... i think the DNA is more what i'm looking for since i still need it to be able to climb with it (unless a Sin can climb well...)

any input???
    I'm going to build up a SA DNA real soon, it'll be my one bike for doing everything that I don't do on my little hardtail. Actually. I'll be using the parts that are on my Sin. One time I had the Sin at about 33lbs. It all depends on how you build them up.
    The Sin is tall and short (hmmm, that sounds funny), the DNA is low and long. I like the lower seat of the DNA (I'm short) and the ability to throw it around under me. I'm trying to get a 36 Talas rc2 for it. I think one of those Gravity Dropper seat posts would be cool too.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rumble Park Pic's

Here are a few from last week.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MC9.5
    Here are a few from last week.....
    Sweet!
    Looks like fun and I don't see a bunch of little rats (skateboarder kids) getting in your way.
    Where is that place at?

I'm the new Service, Tech, and Warranty guy for Mountain Cycle now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TWISTED
    Sweet!
    Looks like fun and I don't see a bunch of little rats (skateboarder kids) getting in your way.
    Where is that place at?

I'm the new Service, Tech, and Warranty guy for Mountain Cycle now.
    Congrats on the new positions.
    The place is http://www.skatersedgeinc.com/skaters_edge_001.htm.
    It was a Tuesday night and there was hardly anyone there.
    The park has a foam pit and tons of other cool sh!t.
    That was my 3rd time at a real skate park. I think I have found a new winter activity (will be there tonight)!

Later,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Congrats on the new positions.
    The place is http://www.skatersedgeinc.com/skaters_edge_001.htm.
    It was a Tuesday night and there was hardly anyone there.
    The park has a foam pit and tons of other cool sh!t.
    That was my 3rd time at a real skate park. I think I have found a new winter activity (will be there tonight)!

Later,
    Dave
    Foam pit!!! SWEET!!!
    Let's see some back flip (attempt) photos.

All of us here go to an indoor park that has a BMX track on one side and wooden ramps on the other. We often have everyone from MC there ripping it up. What other bike company can you say that about?
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Foam pit!!! SWEET!!!
    Let's see some back flip (attempt) photos.

All of us here go to an indoor park that has a BMX track on one side and wooden ramps on the other. We often have everyone from MC there ripping it up. What other bike company can you say that about?
    Tim

No back flips for me(for a while). I am still nursing a kink in my neck from a dirt sample I took at Plattekill this summer. Foam or not, I cannot afford a header right now. Its on the list of things to do......
    "What other bike company can you say that about?" Exactly why I ride MC!!!!!

Although he does not ride an MC (yet) here is my partner in crime landing the BF on his ninth attempt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    No back flips for me(for a while). I am still nursing a kink in my neck from a dirt sample I took at Plattekill this summer. Foam or not, I cannot afford a header right now. Its on the list of things to do......
    "What other bike company can you say that about?" Exactly why I ride MC!!!!!

Although he does not ride an MC (yet) here is my partner in crime landing the BF on his ninth attempt.
    Very nice!
    OK, I'll let you work on your tail whips first.
    We made ourselves a make-shift little foam pit out by our loading dock. It was only maybe 3' deep at the most. We had some nice break time sessions. I was crowned "King of Stupidity" from my random full tilt attemtps at big tricks that I had no chance of pulling. I highly recommend lots of pads, the bike hurts when it hits you.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Very nice!
    OK, I'll let you work on your tail whips first.
    We made ourselves a make-shift little foam pit out by our loading dock. It was only maybe 3' deep at the most. We had some nice break time sessions. I was crowned "King of Stupidity" from my random full tilt attemtps at big tricks that I had no chance of pulling. I highly recommend lots of pads, the bike hurts when it hits you.
    Tim
    There are worse things they could be calling you. You will not be so stupid when you pull off one of those random acts! Whats better than having a pit outside the building?!?! I'm in the wrong business. Lets see some pictures of that sh!t.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are worse things they could be calling you. You will not be so stupid when you pull off one of those random acts! Whats better than having a pit outside the building?!?! I'm in the wrong business. Lets see some pictures of that sh!t.
    At 36, I'm too old to start planning for the X-Games. That pit was actually inside the building. We took it down after a week, and before the big bosses caught wind of the shenanigans. I'll see about finding some photos.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    At 36, I'm too old to start planning for the X-Games. That pit was actually inside the building. We took it down after a week, and before the big bosses caught wind of the shenanigans. I'll see about finding some photos.
    Tim
    I hear you. I'm 32 and wish I started this type of riding when I was a kid. Just last night, my wife was busting my balls when she asked me if I was the oldest at the skate park. For the record, I do not think I was. She does not get it.......Nor does she have to!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Night & Day

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice photo.
    Here's how I ride at night.
    Me on the slopestyle at the indoor bmx track.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice look..
    When can I get my hands on the dope Slope?
    It would look sweet under my X-mass tree!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice look..
    When can I get my hands on the dope Slope?
    It would look sweet under my X-mass tree!!!
    Thanks,
    You can't get it under the Christmas tree, but will fit nicely in a big Easter basket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Only 145 more days left.........

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Twisted,

Can you see if the first batch is totally spoken for. If there is one left I will have my LBS place the order Monday.

Thanks,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Twisted,

Can you see if the first batch is totally spoken for. If there is one left I will have my LBS place the order Monday.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Hey Dave,
    I know it's pretty close, but if you can have your MC dealer get your order in quickly there's a real good chance of you getting one.

What's your opinion on the best rear shock for the bike. Remember that it's 6.5"x1.5"?
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey Dave,
    I know it's pretty close, but if you can have your MC dealer get your order in quickly there's a real good chance of you getting one.

What's your opinion on the best rear shock for the bike. Remember that it's 6.5"x1.5"?
    Tim
    Thanks Tim, I will try to get the order placed on Monday.
    Its a shame the Fox DHX air/coil does not come in that size.
    I would prefer something that I can dial in the bottom out resistance, so my next choice would be a Fifth Element. After that you might as well keep the Fox air on it.
    Would it be possible to order it with the 5th regardless of what you guys decide?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Tim,

I got my name on the list. Now to figure out what fork I should put on it. As you can see, the Pike may not be my best solution. How do you like the Fox 36? Is it the RC2? What travel setting are you using for the park? Tough decision, I could buy 3 Pikes for the price of the fox. Any word on the rear shock yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tim,

I got my name on the list. Now to figure out what fork I should put on it. As you can see, the Pike may not be my best solution. How do you like the Fox 36? Is it the RC2? What travel setting are you using for the park? Tough decision, I could buy 3 Pikes for the price of the fox. Any word on the rear shock yet?
    SNAP!!!
    A friend of mine loves his Pike 454. Have you checked with RS about a warranty?

The 36 Talas RC2 is an awesome fork. I run it at 4" with both comp adj. set full firm for ripping around the BMX track and dirt jumps. Set it to 5" and backed off the slow speed for the downhill trails. The fork is expensive, but it effectively replaces a XC fork, trail fork, DJ fork, and light DH fork. Feels great and doesn't noticeably bob under power. I'd like to buy one for myself.

I've now got the slopestyle set up with a Progressive Air rear shock. It's progressive nature allows the rear suspension to work better than the more linear feeling Fox RP3 that I had on there, which gave more of an on / off feeling. The Swinger 3-way felt somewhere between the two. Still haven't tried a coil yet.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I was so impressed with the Pike, I bought TWO! I hope it was just a bad casting? Bad Casting or not, It does not instill a great amount of confidence while going big. I will keep the Pike on the San Andreas for trail riding, and e-bay the second one. RS is fixing it and it should be back any day now.
    I noticed the brake rotor rubbing the pads with about an hour left to go at the skate park. I thought I might have bent the rotor in the foam pit and did not think much of it. I rode the rest of the session without problem. The next day I noticed the crack. Now I know why the rotor was making noise. Looks like I got lucky!
    Is the Progressive air the "Gravity" model

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was so impressed with the Pike, I bought TWO! I hope it was just a bad casting? Bad Casting or not, It does not instill a great amount of confidence while going big. I will keep the Pike on the San Andreas for trail riding, and e-bay the second one. RS is fixing it and it should be back any day now.
    I noticed the brake rotor rubbing the pads with about an hour left to go at the skate park. I thought I might have bent the rotor in the foam pit and did not think much of it. I rode the rest of the session without problem. The next day I noticed the crack. Now I know why the rotor was making noise. Looks like I got lucky!
    Is the Progressive air the "Gravity" model
    Sounds like you got lucky, as far as not getting hurt. I had something similiar happen when my rear derailleur wouldn't work no matter how I adjusted it. Then I saw the cracked swingarm. (Old bike, of course)

It's the regular Progressive air shock. I spoke with Bill at Progressive, the Gravity only comes in one size for a certain Specialized bike. Most air shocks are trying to be more linear, but the Slopestyle has a falling rate design which makes the shocks hard to set up. We'll get it all dialed in and figured out before the frames go out to you guys.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Tim,

Not to be picky, but do you know if the color will stay the same or will there be a choice?
    The pumpkin is growing on me but black ano would be sweet.

Thanks,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tim,

Not to be picky, but do you know if the color will stay the same or will there be a choice?
    The pumpkin is growing on me but black ano would be sweet.

Thanks,
    Dave
    I've noticed that the slopestyle frame's color looks a little different in each photo. It's actually a vibrant, bright orange with a bit of pearl in it. As far as I know the production colors have not been finalized. Many have commented on liking the orange color, but there are sure to be a couple choices, most likely ano black.

You can contact me direct at: tparker at mountaincycle.com
    Tim

Oct 2005

My 05 Rumble

This is it's old incarnation, now it has the horizontal dropouts, a Hadley rear, and a Fox Vanilla up front at 4 inches.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Lets see it built up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nick_z
    This is it's old incarnation, now it has the horizontal dropouts, a Hadley rear, and a Fox Vanilla up front at 4 inches.
    Yeah, let's see it built up. I have to look at bare frames all day long.

Oct 2005
    I'm trying to post new pics up but it's not letting me, I will get them up soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

9.5, is it the right bike for me?

Need some advice. I am looking at building a DH bike as I want to start racing but I also want to be able to use it for some aggressive trail and FR. I know that is not an easy match. I am very interested in the 9.5. Would this bike, built as a DH bike work as FR bike as well. I don’t expect it to climb like an XC bike but wonder if I could put a front derailleur and granny. I am also considering the new Transition Grand Mal. Any feedback would be great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You can't run a front derailleur on a 9.5, so it probably wouldn't work too well for the trail part of what you are doing. With a smaller ring in front, my 9.5 climbs ok if you increase the platform in the shock, but it still isn't enjoyable. If you are just starting racing it seems like you'd be better off with more of an all around bike with a bit less travel and front derailleur abilities like a bullit or something, then if you got into it enough and felt like you truly needed a race specific bike build something like that up in the future. My situation is kind of the same... I ride a lot of trails where a dh bike is well suited with my 9.5, but I still wish I had something a bit lighter that wasn't so painful to climb with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

You can't run a front derailleur on a 9.5, so it probably wouldn't work too well for

Thanks for the advice. I guess I have to decide if I want to invest in a bike that is race specific. I have a Yeti 575 with a 36 up front and it does just about all I want but I don't want to race it as it is a bit light and I don't want to beat it to death racing or hucking it as it is not really designed for that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Tim, please check your PM's.
    Last edited by MC9.5; 12-19-2005 at 01:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You can't run a front derailleur on a 9.5, so it probably wouldn't work too well for the trail part of what you are doing. With a smaller ring in front, my 9.5 climbs ok if you increase the platform in the shock, but it still isn't enjoyable. If you are just starting racing it seems like you'd be better off with more of an all around bike with a bit less travel and front derailleur abilities like a bullit or something, then if you got into it enough and felt like you truly needed a race specific bike build something like that up in the future. My situation is kind of the same... I ride a lot of trails where a dh bike is well suited with my 9.5, but I still wish I had something a bit lighter that wasn't so painful to climb with.
    Yes like Ryan (eknomf) said, although the 35 lb prototype 9.5 SL wouldn't be that bad for riding up hills. A Sin might work for you or a San Andreas DNA.

Dec 2005

Slope Style

Twisted,

i am a dedicated single pivot rider. i dig the looks of the Slope Style, esp the uninterrupted seat tube.

does MC have any plans to make a longer travel single pivot frame with an uninterrupted seat tube?
    Last edited by nevr2hevy; 12-20-2005 at 04:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nevr2hevy
    Twisted,

i am a dedicated single pivot rider. i dig the looks of the Slope Style, esp the uninterrupted seat tube.

does MC have any plans to make a longer travel single pivot frame with an uninterrupted seat tube?
    Thanks,
    Would you be interested in a frame just like the proto slopestyle, but with six inches rear travel and maybe a little longer (the slopestyle's are 16") chainstays?

Dec 2005
    Thanks,
    Would you be interested in a frame just like the proto slopestyle, but with six inches rear travel and maybe a little longer (the slopestyle's are 16") chainstays?
    i was thinking more like 7". i ride a 5" and 7" single pivot. The 7" does quite well and is a very capable climber after some rider adaptation. BUT, i have yet to pilot a 6" single pivot. shorter chain stays are pretty nice. is it even possible to achieve 6+" and keep the chainstays short? i bet that thing would manual very well...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nevr2hevy
    i was thinking more like 7". i ride a 5" and 7" single pivot. The 7" does quite well and is a very capable climber after some rider adaptation. BUT, i have yet to pilot a 6" single pivot. shorter chain stays are pretty nice. is it even possible to achieve 6+" and keep the chainstays short? i bet that thing would manual very well...
    I think if we decided to make a longer travel slopestyle style bike it would be a little on the short side of travel, more of a bike that would compliment a good rider instead of mask a sloppy rider. Possibly we could do adjustable travel.

Dec 2005
    I think if we decided to make a longer travel slopestyle style bike it would be a little on the short side of travel, more of a bike that would compliment a good rider instead of mask a sloppy rider. Possibly we could do adjustable travel.
    yeah, i hear ya, more travel 'aint all that. with the right geometry and enough strength in the frame, you can do PLENTY on a 6"er. i'd be amped to see that. i'll keep my eyes on MC in the future for such a frame.....

thanks for the input

Oct 2005
    Does MC makes complete bike or they sale only the frame ???

I really looking forward to the slopestyle proto.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeWilly
    Does MC makes complete bike or they sale only the frame ???

I really looking forward to the slopestyle proto.
    Mountain Cycle stocks build kits, wheels, and forks available seperately for use with Mountain Cycle frames. Contact Rob Lindberg for availability of parts and any questions about the slopestyle frame (503) 294-4340 ext. 18.

Tim

Oct 2005
    thanks TWISTED !!!

do you have a release date for the bike or it's not yet annouced ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks TWISTED !!!

do you have a release date for the bike or it's not yet annouced ?
    Give Rob a call, he's the man.

Nice avatar. Should I post some more photos of that bike for you?

Oct 2005
    Oh yeah i'd really like it !!! I'm really interested in this bike !!!
    Do you know the price range of that bike ???
    Thanx a lot dude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh yeah i'd really like it !!! I'm really interested in this bike !!!
    Do you know the price range of that bike ???
    Thanx a lot dude.
    I'll try to take some photos.
    Call Rob for more info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hello and sorry for my poor english, i'm french...
    I need some info about MC fury, what is the weight of this frame in size medium and with a 5th element coil? Is it this frame "pedal friendly" ? Can i put a Air shock (AVA, 5th air) in place of 5th coil to save some weight?
    Thx a lot !!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Last edited by MC9.5; 01-05-2006 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

05 Rumble SS

Here it is...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here it is...
    More..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Last flight

The old Rumble's last flight...(not quite Superman)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The old Rumble's last flight...(not quite Superman)
    Nice. You landed back on the bike, right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Nice. You landed back on the bike, right?
    Of course! Just not on the pedals. I was at the park working on it last night. A couple more trips and I may have it down.
    How is the progress on the Slopestyle? Have you chosen a rear shock yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Of course! Just not on the pedals. I was at the park working on it last night. A couple more trips and I may have it down.
    How is the progress on the Slopestyle? Have you chosen a rear shock yet?
    Come to The Gathering in Renton, WA and enter the dirt jump contest. I'll bring the "Battery" slopestyle bike so you can ride it and check it out.

It looks like we're going with the Answer Swinger Air 3-way for the frame. It seems to work the best.

I can hear parts being CNC'd for the Battery as I write this. They'll be coming shortly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Come to The Gathering in Renton, WA and enter the dirt jump contest. I'll bring the "Battery" slopestyle bike so you can ride it and check it out.

It looks like we're going with the Answer Swinger Air 3-way for the frame. It seems to work the best.

I can hear parts being CNC'd for the Battery as I write this. They'll be coming shortly.
    I wish I could go... Do you guys ever come out to the right coast?
    "Battery" sounds like a cool name, who came up with that one?
    Any final word on colors? I am getting my parts together for the build.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I wish I could go... Do you guys ever come out to the right coast?
    "Battery" sounds like a cool name, who came up with that one?
    Any final word on colors? I am getting my parts together for the build.
    Landon was in New York a couple months ago. Jim Dellavalle our top pro lives out there some place too.

Rob Lindberg came up with that name, we all had our own favorites, but that one sounds great.

I haven't heard the word on colors yet.

mtbr member

Sweet Rumble - here's mine!

Hey MC9.5 - nice Rumble.

I am a huge fan of MC products and the Rumble is the most amazing, smile-inducing hardtail I have ever owned or ridden. I had a nice 2004 S-1 stolen in November here in Denver, but my fatty insurance check helped me throw this one together (and more). It's a 2005 medium black ano with a 2005 Fox Vanilla RLC set at 5". Rolling on a stock wheelset from a 2005 Stinky and Maxxis tires. Thomson post, FSA bar, Planet X Goliath stem...etc. This bike just rips it for all of my trail/DJ/light FR needs. I love this thing.

Thought I'd share...peace!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by panthro
    Hey MC9.5 - nice Rumble.

I am a huge fan of MC products and the Rumble is the most amazing, smile-inducing hardtail I have ever owned or ridden. I had a nice 2004 S-1 stolen in November here in Denver, but my fatty insurance check helped me throw this one together (and more). It's a 2005 medium black ano with a 2005 Fox Vanilla RLC set at 5". Rolling on a stock wheelset from a 2005 Stinky and Maxxis tires. Thomson post, FSA bar, Planet X Goliath stem...etc. This bike just rips it for all of my trail/DJ/light FR needs. I love this thing.

Thought I'd share...peace!
    Thanks Panthro!
    You put together a nice build! I like the Black ano.
    My next MC (Battery) will hopefully be black ano.
    Lets see some action Pic's!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cumstorm
    Hello and sorry for my poor english, i'm french...
    I need some info about MC fury, what is the weight of this frame in size medium and with a 5th element coil? Is it this frame "pedal friendly" ? Can i put a Air shock (AVA, 5th air) in place of 5th coil to save some weight?
    Thx a lot !!
    I´m the owner of a beautiful white Fury.
    With F5th coil it weights about 3,9-4kg
    i built it up with DTSwiss SSD210L shock which works very well on this Frame.
    Now it weights about 3300g
    for me the frame is pedal friendly an bomb proof.
    But i sell it for a new bike
    Go for white one, the best colour on this frame

http://www.mtb-news.de/bikemarkt/sho...cat=500&page=1

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fans of Mountain Cycle should click and check out this link:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...90#post1559090

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tim
    Sounds like Legal Director Kim Arca is trying to justify her existance.
    I hope MC did not sign that letter? Do not go down without a fight!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Tim
    100% support to MC. Here is my bike. Love it! Any prototype 9 point 5 pix???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kruz
    Nice!
    Eknomf (Ryan) who used to work for MC has a black 9.5 with a WB fork that looks similar to yours.
    I'll try to take some more photos.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

WOW!!!....
    That is one fine machine!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    WOW!!!....
    That is one fine machine!
    I hope MC has started develope the next generation 9 point 5 (tough job). This bike is easy to pedal (better than my RMX) and extremely fast! We have 3 9 point 5 in our team. Show you the pix later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I hope MC has started develope the next generation 9 point 5 (tough job). This bike is easy to pedal (better than my RMX) and extremely fast! We have 3 9 point 5 in our team. Show you the pix later.
    Personally, I would love to have a 9.5 with an internal transmission!
    Wouldn’t that be nice?

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VentanaNewbie
    Hey Kruz,you forgot to count me in
    Here is my picture...ride this Saturday?Same time?ok?
    opsss...2 more pictures

Nov 2005
    Hey Kruz,you forgot to count me in
    Here is my picture...ride this Saturday?Same time?ok?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here we are. 9 point 5 & friend.
    Last edited by kruz; 03-06-2006 at 10:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    9 point 5 & friends. I'm 180 pounds and my spring rate is 400. Should i get a 350 spring? What is the right air pressure for my 5th Element shock? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    9 point 5 & friends. I'm 180 pounds and my spring rate is 400. Should i get a 350 spring? What is the right air pressure for my 5th Element shock? Thanks.
    I'm around 172 and used a 450lb spring on my 5th Element. The type of riding and trails you're hitting would determine your air pressure. If I had to pedal a lot I'd max the pressure out at 175 and dial both comp knobs in. For non-pedally downhill with roots and rocks run the air at 50lbs and the comp knobs backed out all the way. Pretty much run the air as low as possible without getting too much pedal bob.
    I'd run the volume adjuster full out for rocks and rooty trails. full in for smooth trails with big jumps and drops.

Use this to decide were you are, and what you want the bike to do.

I like the shots of the two 9.5's side by side.

Tim
    Last edited by TWISTED; 03-06-2006 at 07:15 PM.

train gorilla
    Twisted
    Is there a release date for the battery yet?
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ---->SWERVE76<----
    Twisted
    Is there a release date for the battery yet?
    Yeah, it's "A.S.A.P.".

train gorilla
    Hopefully sooner than later.
    The officer saw the words, "This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb" and became concerned.

Jun 2005
    any updates on the slope style bike? is it on track with release date?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Took advantage of some decent weather we had this weekend and dusted off the 9.5 after a long winter.....

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    any updates on the slope style bike? is it on track with release date?

TWISTED.. any word??

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    TWISTED.. any word??
    See the post before yours.

Nov 2005
    How much would a slopestyle frame cost? I don't care when I get one if that matters. It would be awfully nice if I could get a deal on a fox 36 when i buy the frame too. Any info would be nice.
    Thanks Brett

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brettm
    How much would a slopestyle frame cost? I don't care when I get one if that matters. It would be awfully nice if I could get a deal on a fox 36 when i buy the frame too. Any info would be nice.
    Thanks Brett
    No confirmed price yet, as far as I know it should be about $1,100. Which sounds pretty good to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Tim,

I am getting parts together for the Battery build. What size is the seatpost?
    I have not decided on which fork to get, I narrowed it down to the Fox Talas 36 RC2 or the Marz 66SL, any opinions?

Thanks,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm not sure what I should say.
    Last edited by TWISTED; 03-17-2006 at 04:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've got some bad news for you..................................................
    I'm not sure what I should say.
    Oh NO!!
    I e-mailed you...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Oh NO!!
    I e-mailed you...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

No good

I am speechless..........

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That Slopestyle is about the baddest thing out there. When are these frames going to be available? Any idea on price?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No good

Quote Originally Posted by rblove65
    That Slopestyle is about the baddest thing out there. When are these frames going to be available? Any idea on price?
    That's really cool of you to say..............but.
    It now looks like none will ever be made.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? You're kiding? Are you guys going to do something similar? Sell me that proto

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That's really cool of you to say..............but.
    It now looks like none will ever be made.

So is the Slopestyle actually the "Battery"? Never going to be made???? C'mon!!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rblove65
    So is the Slopestyle actually the "Battery"? Never going to be made???? C'mon!!!!!
    I'm urging all Mountain Cycle owners to contact MC to order spare replacement parts for their frames ASAP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Oh no dude!!!!!!. Hurting for money or closing shop??? Hope everything works itself out.

Frequent Crasher
    Does this have to do with the nasty rumour I heard that the brand is up for sale? I was ready to get one of the parkbike frames.
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Does this have to do with the nasty rumour I heard that the brand is up for sale? I was ready to get one of the parkbike frames.
    "Park bike"? Brooklyn makes a Park bike.
    The final story has not been told yet about MC. I don't know anymore than anyone else right now.

Frequent Crasher
    Sorry the Bike park/ slopestyle frame. I don't care what it is called, it looks like FUN!
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel now,
    Someone please tell me it's not a train.
    -Cracker

mtbr member
    I'm urging all Mountain Cycle owners to contact MC to order spare replacement parts for their frames ASAP.
    Uuuuhhhh, freaking me out a little here, Tim. I was hoping that I could wait a month or two before getting stickers and bushings for my SA.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

Mar 2006
    First post on the forums and pics of my recent Rumble build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oh, fantastic. So the limited lifetime warranty on my week-old DNA could potentially be extremely limited then?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    [QUOTE=Nimrod Gently]Oh, fantastic. So the limited lifetime warranty on my week-old DNA could potentially be extremely limited then?

Sweet bike Nimrod!
    My DNA is scheduled to arrive today with the same 'limited warranty'.
    I'm not worried, that bike should last a long time.
    I would buy a set of spare dropouts just in case.
    I will post pictures soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

MC San Andreas DNA

MC San Andreas DNA

Shiver
    Easton EA50 Handlebars
    ODI lock on grips
    Avid BB7 8 brakes
    Race Face DH Cranks/BB
    MRP Mini Me w/32t
    Sram 11-32t Cassette
    Sram 9.0 rear Derailleur / Shifter
    Performance Launch FR Wheelset
    5th Element 7.875 x 2.25 (6.75-7.6 rear travel)
    Sun/Ringle Zu-zu pedals
    Kenda Nevegal rear tire
    Kenda Blue Groove front tire
    Thomson seat post
    Haro Mirra BMX seat
    Weight 40lbs.

Thanks Tim / Cedar for your help making this happen.
    Here are the build pic's....
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (142.0 KB, 1485 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (120.1 KB, 1750 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (108.8 KB, 1475 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (118.6 KB, 1432 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (142.8 KB, 1434 views)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

MC San Andreas DNA

more build pic's....
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=177680
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (157.0 KB, 1468 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (152.6 KB, 1413 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (141.8 KB, 1670 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.jpg (147.0 KB, 1449 views)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey, it looks really nice.
    I was just imagining you putting it together with an allen wrench in one hand, and your camera in the other.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hey, it looks really nice.
    I was just imagining you putting it together with an allen wrench in one hand, and your camera in the other.
    HAHA!! That is about how it happened. I had the camera near by when I began to build and just started taking pic's. I had to do my best to keep the grease out of the lens!
    I will try to take some action shots this weekend...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    HAHA!! That is about how it happened. I had the camera near by when I began to build and just started taking pic's. I had to do my best to keep the grease out of the lens!
    I will try to take some action shots this weekend...
    Some of the action...
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...09#post1723209

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here's my Nine-Five.

I still have a job at MC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Good job!

WOW!!!
    Good job Tim, now get those fingerprints cleaned up!!!

Mar 2006
    I just got an e-mail reply from MC today. I was inquiring about the fork travel on my rumble and asked if there was any truth to the rumors and this is a quote from the e-mail.

"Mountain Cycle is not going away. We are undergoing some structural change
    with possible new investors. We should have a press release soon.

Thanks for your confidence with us."

Michael Chen
    KinesisUSA/Mountain Cycle
    3808 N. Williams Ave.
    Portland, OR 97227
    503-294-1012 x11
    www.MountainCycle.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oreos and beer
    I just got an e-mail reply from MC today. I was inquiring about the fork travel on my rumble and asked if there was any truth to the rumors and this is a quote from the e-mail.

"Mountain Cycle is not going away. We are undergoing some structural change
    with possible new investors. We should have a press release soon.

Thanks for your confidence with us."

Michael Chen
    KinesisUSA/Mountain Cycle
    3808 N. Williams Ave.
    Portland, OR 97227
    503-294-1012 x11
    www.MountainCycle.com
    Oh cool, I guess I won't be getting laid off for a while.

Like he probably told you "Mountain Cycle recommends a 4"-6" fork on the Rumble".
    You can use as little as a 80mm fork for urban or XC, or do like I did and put a 200mm 2003 Monster T on there. Of course the geometry will be steep with the short fork, as should be expected and prefered for that type of riding, and the BB is very low. The geometry is slack with the DH fork, like you would want for that type of riding. I like the BB height with the taller fork, although the bars become high. The big burley, oversized monocoque head tube gussett means that there have been no failures in that area of the frame.

You guys might as well ask your MC tech questions here, since Chen just brings them to me anyway.

mtbr member
    And what about all those new bikes???
    The sloping one, and the 5" one???
    Are they new bikes for 2007???
    Will we see Mountain Cycles new bikes in september???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanotron
    And what about all those new bikes???
    The sloping one, and the 5" one???
    Are they new bikes for 2007???
    Will we see Mountain Cycles new bikes in september???
    I don't know. I would assume that would all be up to the new owners, and I don't know anything about them.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    On the subject of Rumbles, I was hoping someone could give me the useable chainstay length on the older S-1 models. Wondering if they are any shorter than the vertical dropout version. Thanks
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker
    On the subject of Rumbles, I was hoping someone could give me the useable chainstay length on the older S-1 models. Wondering if they are any shorter than the vertical dropout version. Thanks
    Yes, you can run it at 16". The std. model is 16.5".

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Thank you, sir. That is the info I was needing.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Goathead Gladiator
    adrenaline has the DNA frame for an amazing deal $999, the price and travel ( is it really variable between 6" and 7" ) is good, but the weight is what is making me lean towards that as I am moving up from 4" travel xc bike. Can anybody comment on the side-to-side stiffness of the rear triangle frame vs some of the heavier frames out there, such as the 6.6, Nomand, or any of the others Adrenalin mentions in their listing for the DNA

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    adrenaline has the DNA frame for an amazing deal $999, the price and travel ( is it really variable between 6" and 7" ) is good, but the weight is what is making me lean towards that as I am moving up from 4" travel xc bike. Can anybody comment on the side-to-side stiffness of the rear triangle frame vs some of the heavier frames out there, such as the 6.6, Nomand, or any of the others Adrenalin mentions in their listing for the DNA
    The DNA is solid. I cannot see how you would be disappointed.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=177680
    Last edited by MC9.5; 05-17-2006 at 05:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    DNA's are available with a 7.5"x2" shock to give either 6" or about 7", and also available with the "LT" longer 7.875"x2.25" shock to give either 7" or about 8" by moving from the upper to the lower swingarm shock mount.
    The DNA has removable bolt-on drop-outs and can be set up with a 12mm thru-axle for an extremely stiff rear end.

Tim

Goathead Gladiator
    that is an impressive pic, thanks. I think I'm pretty much sold.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

MC Classic

A couple of pic's from my ride Saturday.
    Last edited by MC9.5; 05-22-2006 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A couple of pic's from my ride Saturday.
    Real nice shots, I especially like the first one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Real nice shots, I especially like the first one.
    Thanks Tim. I think it was the new stickers that made that shot stand out!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Tim. I think it was the new stickers that made that shot stand out!
    Don't give me credit. I like the lake in the background.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Don't give me credit. I like the lake in the background.
    I really did not want to stop and dig out the camera, but I thought it would make a cool photo. I'm glad I did.
    Besides... I have a new set of stickers for every lake/pond in New England!!

Apr 2006
    Hello all, I ride a Fury and i want to upgrade the fork i was thinking Fox 36 Van or Talas RC2 or Marzocchi all mountain i was looking at the specs book and MC recommeds 5-6 inch fork travel...any other options are more then welcome my current set up is fox 130RLC with Manitou 3 way swinger .Looking to do 3-5 foot drops and some climbing . Thanks for any feedback.

Nov 2005

Go with the 36

I'd say go with the 36 - Van or Talas depending on if you want coil or air. There's barely any weight penalty with the Van - and it's oh-so-super smooth. The 36 forks do have a pretty long axle to race, and the HT angle will get about 1.5 degrees slacker than what you have with the RLC fork - but with the longer travel, it will sag a bit more, so when weighted and riding it'll be in fairly close to the same position. It might feel a little slack at first, but you'll adapt quickly. I've been riding one for a couple of years - awesome fork!

If you don't trust my answer - ask Tim, he can vouch for me - he might remember me as Dylan from MC back when.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dylio
    I'd say go with the 36 - Van or Talas depending on if you want coil or air. There's barely any weight penalty with the Van - and it's oh-so-super smooth. The 36 forks do have a pretty long axle to race, and the HT angle will get about 1.5 degrees slacker than what you have with the RLC fork - but with the longer travel, it will sag a bit more, so when weighted and riding it'll be in fairly close to the same position. It might feel a little slack at first, but you'll adapt quickly. I've been riding one for a couple of years - awesome fork!

If you don't trust my answer - ask Tim, he can vouch for me - he might remember me as Dylan from MC back when.....
    Ahh, Dylan works for Trek / GF, so doesn't know anything about MC bikes.
    DH, did you see my ShockWave 8.7 with the 14" BB height?
    Photos here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...a-5b1de782f2ee

I've got a 36 Talas RC2 on my Fury.

mtbr member
    Hang in there MC. I just picked up a 05" Fury for $500. I'm stoked about the build! I love MC products. I remember seeing a San Andreas years ago in a shop and I have wanted one ever since.
    Last edited by Chasintrane; 06-03-2006 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey Twisted, what shock do you recommend in the $500 range?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane
    How about a RS Pike?

mtbr member
    Beautiful shot!!! Thanks.

Apr 2006
    Thanks for everyones imput , i went out and picked up a Fox 36 Vanilla. Bike should be re-built and ready to hall a$$ later this week. This bike flys down the hill , can't wait to fell it with the 36 .

May 2006
    I might be piking up an 04 Rumble...this will be my first full build.

what should I be looking for in terms of size for seatpost, headset, and bottom bracket?

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by japollner
    I might be piking up an 04 Rumble...this will be my first full build.

what should I be looking for in terms of size for seatpost, headset, and bottom bracket?
    Seatpost is 30.9mm, standard headset, 73mm bottom bracket.

Mar 2006
    And also, the rumble has a fairly tall headtube, about 5.4", so a fork off another bike may not have a long enough steerer. Just something to look out for.

Nov 2005
    Tim, that 8.7 looks killer. The more I think about it, that actually seems like a really awesome set-up for almost anyone looking to improve their 9.5. Having a lower BB is the one thing I wish I'd done differently on that bike.
    The polish looks awesome too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Fork or shock? For your Fury, right. What kind of riding do you want to do the most of and what do you want to get out of your shock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dylio
    Tim, that 8.7 looks killer. The more I think about it, that actually seems like a really awesome set-up for almost anyone looking to improve their 9.5. Having a lower BB is the one thing I wish I'd done differently on that bike.
    The polish looks awesome too!
    Thanks a lot Dylan. That's the same proto frame that I've had since '02.

The only problem with suggesting this to other people is that you must run a fork with a super short axle to crown. I have my 7" Dorado set at 21". Cedar Kyes has a black ano 9.5 set up the same way with a 9" x 2.75" Swinger. His Fox 40 is at 7" and as low as it'll drop, but his head angle is still on the slack side. If we made some frames with steeper head tubes in anticipation of the short shock, that would be cool.

Have you seen the 9.5 SL?

Tim

mtbr member
    Fork or shock? For your Fury, right. What kind of riding do you want to do the most of and what do you want to get out of your shock?
    Fork, sorry for the confusion. I am just getting back into biking after a 7-10 year break. All these different categories( free-ride, all mountain, etc.) are new to me. When I got out of riding the Manitou 3 and RockShox Mag 21 were battleing it out all by themselves.

I like to bomb downhill and maybe top out at 5 feet of air (small jumps and drops). I weigh 180 lbs. I ride aggressive, but safe. I'm not an all out maniac. However, I want something that I can take a step further if I feel like pushing it. I was suprised to see the Fox forks costing so much, especially since everyone complains about them leaking.

I want something smooth and sturdy. I am not concerned about weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's a pic of my Rumble. It's a medium and you can kind've see the height of the front-end and headtube. It also appears higher because the rear is just so low (I can step off the back and the bike rolls from underneath me). By the way, if anyone is interested, it's for sale for $1000 obo

Specs:

2004 Mountain Cycle Rumble frame (medium with lots of standover)
    2003 Marzocchi Z1CR fork with 130 mm travel with ETC and 10 wt oil in it
    Shimano Deore Shifters and front derailleur
    Shimano LX rear derailleur and cassette
    Azonic Outlaw wheels
    Conti Vertical Pro tires
    Hayes HFX-9 front/rear disc brakes (has 6" rotors but could switch to 8" if wanted)
    SDG Belair seat (not seat shown)
    Kona DH handlebar
    Ritchey stem
    ODI Rogue lock-on grips
    Race Face Evolve DH cranks with 22/32/bash
    Cane Creek S6 cartridge bearing headset
    Easton EA50 seatpost

All this for $1000 obo + any necessary shipping

[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

This Sucxs....

I called today to try and get ahold of someone at MC tech services and i see that Mt cycle is no more. ??? were can one aquire spare parts for my san andreas 2001 model year. i love this bike and i dont want to get ride of it, but since MC is out of Business i need to buy some parts that are lying around..

thanks
    MNBPmike
    NMBPMIke

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NMBPmike
    I called today to try and get ahold of someone at MC tech services and i see that Mt cycle is no more. ??? were can one aquire spare parts for my san andreas 2001 model year. i love this bike and i dont want to get ride of it, but since MC is out of Business i need to buy some parts that are lying around..

thanks
    MNBPmike
    I'm still here at MC. Try emailing me next time. I can't always get to my phone, too busy.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey, good news!
    I've got some Battery slopestyle frames left that I can sell once they are finished. These are all being handmade here at the factory in Portland, OR. Price will be $1,100, or $1,150 for a blasted and black anodized frame. Shock is your choice of Rock Shox Airo or Progressive Air.

They should go really fast, so I thought I'd post it here first.

There's more good news coming from Mountain Cycle. More on that later.

Tim
    [email protected]
    503 284-4340 ext 26
    Last edited by TWISTED; 06-28-2006 at 11:02 AM.

May 2005
    Hey anyone knows if i can run a 150X12mm rear hub in the new rumbles?
    ah, and how much the new rumble frame goes for?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nope. 12x135 with the optional thru-axle drop-outs.
    New Rumbles are $429.00

Tim

May 2005
    Nope. 12x135 with the optional thru-axle drop-outs.
    New Rumbles are $429.00

Tim
    Ok thanks! Iwas between a Sinister DNA (too expensive), transition trail or park (too heavy) and the MC rumble. For shure the rumble is my best option.

Any extra chargues for the 12x135 dropouts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongiafer
    Ok thanks! Iwas between a Sinister DNA (too expensive), transition trail or park (too heavy) and the MC rumble. For shure the rumble is my best option.

Any extra chargues for the 12x135 dropouts?
    Typically Rumbles are sold with QR drop-outs and the 12mm drop-outs are $39 extra, but the frame can be ordered with your choice of drop-outs.

Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hello, i'm thinking in get a MC San Andreas and i would like what sizes of shock spacer i need to mount a manitou 4way air.

Anyone know where can i get a good price to get it.

Thanks

May 2004

Slope style frame

Does anyone know how much the frame retails for?
    I've heard there may be a limited run this year. What is the availability next year?
    Any good words coming out of the MC headquarters?

My Fury has been bomber. This year I've been dirt jumping it and riding lift serve and not one problem!!!

mtbr member
    Tim, do you guys have any 05 Fury decals? I was thinking of doing a custom color on mine.

mtbr member
    Flames!
    Did you do that yourself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Tim, do you guys have any 05 Fury decals? I was thinking of doing a custom color on mine.
    Yeah, both white/black/gray, and white/blck/yellow.
    Call or email me at work.

Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by End-er
    Hello, i'm thinking in get a MC San Andreas and i would like what sizes of shock spacer i need to mount a manitou 4way air.

Anyone know where can i get a good price to get it.

Thanks
    "03 and newer San Andreas Classic frames use 22x6 shock mounting hardware. I think the Swinger's are actually 22.2, which is fine, but a lttle tight to mount in the rear.

Tim

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shadfly
    Does anyone know how much the frame retails for?
    I've heard there may be a limited run this year. What is the availability next year?
    Any good words coming out of the MC headquarters?

My Fury has been bomber. This year I've been dirt jumping it and riding lift serve and not one problem!!!
    We don't have any to sell right now. I'm planning to take a few up for Crankworx.
    Hopefully, we'll get some available for the public soon.

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Did you do that yourself?
    Yes I did. I polished the swingarm, created the flames in AutoCad, transfered them with tape, and then bead blasted it. Took a while to get it done. Two months later I Broke the damn thing!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've spoken with the new owners of Mountain Cycle and am convinced that the company is going to come back stronger than ever with a new focus on dialed, excellent performing bikes, and an optimistic vision to improve on everything and put out the best bikes we possibly can. They share my views on the problem areas of some of the frames designs and previous mistakes that were made within the company. They are enthusiastic about developing the current line and taking the frames to the next level.

I've been talking to talented riders about helping test the Battery slopestyle and getting it ready for production, and hopefully will have the new, biggest, baddest, rider of them all taking this bike to it's limit at the slopestyle event at Cranworx.

Apr 2006
    Last edited by mcfury; 09-21-2006 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Very nice!!!! I love the white. Did you anodize the rear swing arm? Looks great. How does it ride?

mtbr member
    I've spoken with the new owners of Mountain Cycle and am convinced that the company is going to come back stronger than ever with a new focus on dialed, excellent performing bikes, and an optimistic vision to improve on everything and put out the best bikes we possibly can. They share my views on the problem areas of some of the frames designs and previous mistakes that were made within the company. They are enthusiastic about developing the current line and taking the frames to the next level.

I've been talking to talented riders about helping test the Battery slopestyle and getting it ready for production, and hopefully will have the new, biggest, baddest, rider of them all taking this bike to it's limit at the slopestyle event at Cranworx.
    That's great to hear.

DOH!
    Thanks a lot Dylan. That's the same proto frame that I've had since '02.

The only problem with suggesting this to other people is that you must run a fork with a super short axle to crown. I have my 7" Dorado set at 21". Cedar Kyes has a black ano 9.5 set up the same way with a 9" x 2.75" Swinger. His Fox 40 is at 7" and as low as it'll drop, but his head angle is still on the slack side. If we made some frames with steeper head tubes in anticipation of the short shock, that would be cool.

Have you seen the 9.5 SL?

Tim
    I'm considering making the "8.7 mod" to my 9.5. I'm running an '04 SuperT (AC 558mm, or a hair shy of 22"), which I think should keep the head angle pretty decent.

Given that, what Progressive shock mounting hardware kit would I need for the shorter 8.75x2.75" 5th I'm planning on putting on the bike?

Any other general comments/warnings/suggestions concerning this particualr mod? It sounds like it's a pretty "safe" and reasonable tweak to make to the bike, but I'd rather know now if there are any, "...it's great BUT..." kinda things I should think about before I commit to getting the shorter shock.

Very nice Fury, BTW, mcfury...

Thanks!!

Apr 2006
    Chasintrane , Thanks for the compliment, i was on a budget so i sanded down the swing arm and used black primer spray paint and it worked out real well ! primer drys fast so you don't have to worry about drips and after 5 rides the primer doesn't scratch and it only cost 5 bucks. The white paint is white gloss powder coating i think that was around $160 . As far as the ride i used to have a fox flot 130rlc and diffrent rims/tires ... it's still fast and stright when going stright down but the big improvements are hugging the berms i'm running maxxis high rollers 2.35ust and my wrist dosen't hurt after a long days ride the fork is wonderful it's a fox 36 van rc2 recomended by the guys in MC fourm ... Thanks guys .... i'm still playing with the suspension after i'll try some jumps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    I'm considering making the "8.7 mod" to my 9.5. I'm running an '04 SuperT (AC 558mm, or a hair shy of 22"), which I think should keep the head angle pretty decent.

Given that, what Progressive shock mounting hardware kit would I need for the shorter 8.75x2.75" 5th I'm planning on putting on the bike?

Any other general comments/warnings/suggestions concerning this particualr mod? It sounds like it's a pretty "safe" and reasonable tweak to make to the bike, but I'd rather know now if there are any, "...it's great BUT..." kinda things I should think about before I commit to getting the shorter shock.

Very nice Fury, BTW, mcfury...

Thanks!!
    You need a 9" x 2.75". An 8.75" won't work. It'll be way too slack and probably bottom out on something. "8.7" is the amount of rear travel. At 3.3 to 1, the 1/4" equals about 7/8" lower than mine in the rear.
    Skip the Progressive and get a DHX 5.0 or Revox. You'll need 8x22 mounting hardware.

Your bike will still be a little slacker than mine.

I'd like the 9.5 SL's to go into production as 8.7 SL's with a slighly steeper head angle so you can still run a DH fork with a 22, 23, or more axle to crown and have a 65-67 degree head angle.

DOH!
    Thanks Twisted! Sorry, I misspoke; I was thinking 9x2.75 but for some reason it came out as 8.75x2.75. The current heatwave here in Utah must be baking my noodle.

I think the idea of putting the SL's out as 8.7 SL's is a very good one! IMHO 8.7" of travel is more than enough for general DH riding and racing, and the benefits of a lower BB more than outweigh any drawbacks of the slight decrease in travel. Indeed, since I assume the SL would be of primary interest to racers, the lower BB and sharper HA to accommodate taller AC forks would be major selling points.

Anyhow, thanks for the mount hardware info! I'd love a DHX or Revox, but this mod is happening on the cheap (or relatively so) to make sure I like what it does first, before I jump nuts-deep into a high-ticket shock. I have a line on an inexpensive 5th, so I thought I jump on that, ride the bike for a while and, if everything is working out, sell it at a later date and upgrade to a DHX or Revox.

I'm very happy to hear the MC will be coming back more refined and focused! The 9.5 in particular is too good a bike to simply go away....

Cheers.
    Last edited by SprungShoulders; 07-16-2006 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member

06 Fury

hey i am going to buy a 06 fury but i havent seen any pics of one. does it have the same stickers as the 05? if so can they be easily removed(im not a big fan of them)and what colors does it come in? id prefer anodized but will take what i can get.thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My new MC San Andreas DNA from Spain.

With time and money i will change some componets but actually works fine

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    hey i am going to buy a 06 fury but i havent seen any pics of one. does it have the same stickers as the 05? if so can they be easily removed(im not a big fan of them)and what colors does it come in? id prefer anodized but will take what i can get.thanks
    I think the '05 decals are a bit "too much" too. I'm using decals similiar to the '04 style as seen in the new DNA below. I've got some matching plain style "Fury" decals
    for the '06 black anodized swingarms. The fronts are still black ano or yellow powdercoat. All black Furys look pretty nice. I've even got some matte finish Mountain Cycle decals that look pretty stealthy that I could put on if I'm asked.

TimI

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Looks good. I see you had no trouble putting the frame together.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Looks good. I see you had no trouble putting the frame together.
    Tim
    Yes i have no problem, only i have a litle dificults putting the bearings but was easy.

mtbr member
    I think the '05 decals are a bit "too much" too. I'm using decals similiar to the '04 style as seen in the new DNA below. I've got some matching plain style "Fury" decals
    for the '06 black anodized swingarms. The fronts are still black ano or yellow powdercoat. All black Furys look pretty nice. I've even got some matte finish Mountain Cycle decals that look pretty stealthy that I could put on if I'm asked.

TimI
    thanks tim. was it you who responded to my email on the mc site about ordering the frame?

mtbr member
    The yellow is powder coat! Bummer, my refinishing project is looking a bit more difficult now. That yellow is just tooo fugly!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    thanks tim. was it you who responded to my email on the mc site about ordering the frame?
    That's me.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Hey Twisted. You hooked me up with some info on the Rumble S1 a while back. I picked one up and I'm lovin' it. I'm looking into a Fury to replace my 6 month old broken Heckler. Just wondering what type of abuse the Fury can handle under a smooth 200lb rider. Most likely build it with the 5th coil and a 6" fork. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gratefulbiker
    Hey Twisted. You hooked me up with some info on the Rumble S1 a while back. I picked one up and I'm lovin' it. I'm looking into a Fury to replace my 6 month old broken Heckler. Just wondering what type of abuse the Fury can handle under a smooth 200lb rider. Most likely build it with the 5th coil and a 6" fork. Thanks.
    Mine hasn't broke yet. It should hold up fine.

mtbr member

Powder coat removel day 1

I was afraid the powder coat wouldn't come off easily, but I was wrong. Aircraft stripper worked great, it turned the powder coat into rubber and made it peel off. I still have a few places to touch up. I'm thinking of going ano red since red is a classic MC color. Here are a few pics.

This first coat sat for about 1 hour.

Then I applied a second coat right on top of it.

After some light steel wool work.

mtbr member
    get some decals,clear coat it and run it like that.or better yet polish it!

Apr 2006
    go for some color .
    What parts you have in mind for your ride ?

mtbr member
    RS Pike
    CK hubs, DT 5.1 rims on order
    the rest is still up in the air.

I'm gonna try a blck primer rear swing arm to go with the red ano frame. Just regular black primer? Did you scuff the surface up pretty good?

Apr 2006
    That should look hard red and black ... I went to OSH hardware it's spray enamel fast drying Black Primer and used 3M General Purpose sandpaper 220 very fine just to clean off any oil or dirt and did 4 light coats .No need to use rought sandpaper it may create grooves in the metal and may show when you paint.Have fun and keep us posted I would love to see pictures when it's done.

mtbr member
    any idea is they have a 29er on their drawing board?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Mountain Cycle Member
    My MountainCycle collection.... at the moment i have three, and two of them are in working order
    First my Shockwave (first model) i've ordered it in the beginning of 2001 and it still works flawlessy these are already old pictures (2004) but the setup is still the same exept for the brakes, and maybe there is an 2003 Dorado upgrade soon, still debating that one......

MountainCycle Shockwave
    RS Boxxer Race (tuned for highspeed comp spike, but still a race)
    RS Super de Luxe rear shock (one of the last ones, works like a charm)
    Intense MAG30 wheels laced on Hope Big'un hubs, with maxxis tires (highroller, mobster, minion)
    Hope 6-Ti brakes with carbonflex tubing
    MRP
    24/7 cranks and BB (the same as the MRP ones, they make them for MRP, they come from the UK)
    Sram attack trigger with an 105 derr.
    Kore B-52 stem
    RooX Torque bar (cut to 690mm, 735mm is to wide )

Mountaincycle Fury
    I've ordered it a few months ago, it is build up on a budget, but better parts will come later, some already did now.

it has for now an RS Tora 318 u-turn and Fox vanilla r
    Hope mini diskbrakes (the early ones) with carbonflex tubing
    cheap wheels deore hubs with fir 220 rims with maxxis ignigtor tires
    XTR cranks, M959 pedals
    Sram attack trigger with shimano lx front and xt rear
    Easton EA70 with Roox MXC riser bar
    Easton EC70 seatpost with an Fisik Nisene Ti saddle

and now for the one still in pieces.....
    an Mountaincycle San Andreas (from 1994)
    This will be an special project for me, i've bouth it secondhand via an shop, it was still an first owner bike (from 1994) , he did only xc with it, he had ordered the complete package (frame, suspenders fork, prostop brakes and the pulstar hubs)
    he then had removed the suspenders, because he did not like it and ran it with an rigid fork and other brakes in the front.
    I was able to buy it all with the unused suspenders fork, unused frontbrake and hub.
    this bike will be restored in full glory (in time )
    for the moment i have only the wheels ready. those took me a little over a year to get ready. because they requiere straight spokes, and i wanted black ones. but they were not available in the right lenght. so i ordered longer ones and let them be cut to lenght and done with new threadt, and after that laced with the rims and hubs.

yes, that's the huge 9" rotor mountaincycle made them for these brakes.

this bike has an full XTR 1993/1994 set on them and that will remain so, other parts like the bar, seatpost and that little stuff will be new stuff, pimpy stuff
    Last edited by cHoc Nr1; 04-14-2007 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cHoc Nr1
    My MountainCycle collection.... at the moment i have three, and two of them are in working order
    First my Shockwave (first model) i've ordered it in the beginning of 2001 and it still works flawlessy these are already old pictures (2004) but the setup is still the same exept for the brakes, and maybe there is an 2003 Dorado upgrade soon, still debating that one......

MountainCycle Shockwave
    RS Boxxer Race (tuned for highspeed comp spike, but still a race)
    RS Super de Luxe rear shock (one of the last ones, works like a charm)
    Intense MAG30 wheels laced on Hope Big'un hubs, with maxxis tires (highroller, mobster, minion)
    Hope 6-Ti brakes with carbonflex tubing
    MRP
    24/7 cranks and BB (the same as the MRP ones, they make them for MRP, they come from the UK)
    Sram attack trigger with an 105 derr.
    Kore B-52 stem
    RooX Torque bar (cut to 690mm, 735mm is to wide )

Mountaincycle Fury
    I've ordered it a few months ago, it is build up on a budget, but better parts will come later (atm, XTR cranks, M959 pedals and Easton EA70 stem are underway)

it has for now an RS Tora 318 u-turn and Fox vanilla r
    Hope mini diskbrakes (the early ones) with carbonflex tubing
    cheap wheels deore hubs with fir 220 rims with maxxis ignigtor tires
    Sram attack trigger with shimano lx front and xt rear
    Roox MXC riser bar
    Easton EC70 seatpost with an Fisik Nisene Ti saddle

and now for the one still in pieces.....
    This will be an special project for me, i've bouth it secondhand via an shop, it was still an first owner bike (from 1994) , he did only xc with it, he had ordered the complete package (frame, suspenders fork, prostop brakes and the pulstar hubs)
    he then had removed the suspenders, because he did not like it and ran it with an rigid fork and other brakes in the front.
    I was able to buy it all with the unused suspenders fork, unused frontbrake and hub.
    for the moment i have only the wheels ready. those took me a little over a year to get ready. because they requiere straight spokes, and i wanted black ones. but they were not available in the right lenght. so i ordered longer ones and let them be cut to lenght and done with new threadt, and after that laced with the rims and hubs.

yes, that's the huge 9" rotor mountaincycle made them for these brakes.

this bike has an full XTR 1993/1994 set on them and that will remain so, other parts like the bar, seatpost and that little stuff will be new stuff, pimpy stuff
    sweet bikes! post pics of the san andreas when its done. that was my dream bike back then.and i still want one

mtbr member
    Hi Jose End-er, finally you've got it.
    You will enjoy with it riding in the rocky Hoyo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

looking good! Let's see some action photo's....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanotron
    Hi Jose End-er, finally you've got it.
    You will enjoy with it riding in the rocky Hoyo.
    Hi Nano, you can see it, finally i got it, im sure you want another one like mine, maybe one day i leave you try it hahaha. Thanks for advice me about this frame, now im sure ive a good machine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cHoc Nr1
    My MountainCycle collection.... .....
    Please don't spend too much time and money on it. I've got '94 or so San Andreas with Suspenders, Pro-Stops, and full XTR that I bought from a pawn shop for $50 1/4 mile from the MC factory. It's sitting on a stand near my desk.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1