You own a Fantom Team? Chime in- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

You own a Fantom Team? Chime in

I'm pretty set on getting a Fantom Team here soon, but am curious as to what I might want to change to make the bike slightly more bullet proof for AM use? I'm not into parts and building bikes, I just want to ride it, clean it, and ride it more.

So, are there any items that may be considered light duty that I should prepare to replace?

thanks in advance for your help

BQ

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I do not own one, but since it is set up much like the Fly I can comment. The tires and tubes are in no way useable for AM use. They really aren't useable for everyday XC use, they are race tires and tubes. Once you get them off and feel how thin they are you will understand, the tires feel like inner tubes with tread. The rear cassette is a road cassette with road gearing. If you actually plan on riding up some steep hills you might want to change this out. I have never used carbon cranks, but I think many AM riders would not want them. Other than that I think everything else is pretty durable.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks lj. This aligns to what I was thinking. Definitely do the tires and tubes. I was looking at the XT cassettes which are pretty cheap to pick up, although I don't use the lowest couple gears much on my current heavy weight Dawg that is not all that great of a climber (suspension is way too soft and the bike weighs over #35lbs). So I guess I'll try it out as it comes and go from there.

The only other thing was the chain. I remember someone mentioning this with their Fly. For another ~$25 I would put something a little more sturdy on it for piece of mind.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just not that into researching bike stuff like others. Is there anything I can do to this bike for a couple hundred dollars to drop more weight and not sacrifice durability? Like replace aluminum parts with carbon fiber?

thanks for the help

mtbr member
    I know that for some other carbon cranks the warranty is void if you use them for anything besides XC riding. But, I checked the FSA site and they claim that their team riders use that crankset for 4X and DH racing

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn
    Thanks lj.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm just not that into researching bike stuff like others. Is there anything I can do to this bike for a couple hundred dollars to drop more weight and not sacrifice durability? Like replace aluminum parts with carbon fiber?

thanks for the help
    The bike is already incredibly light for a stock FS bike and has all top of the line stuff. To drop more weight you really would have to spend a lot of money and buy some exotic stuff. Since you are talking about AM riding I would not recommend trying to make the bike any lighter. If you were only using it for XC then carbon bars, seatpost and a custom built lighter wheelset would be good. But a nice light custom wheelset could cost you well over $1000.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    my best friend that I ride with all the time has a carbon crank on his Epic with zero problems

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2009 phantom team

Well i have heard good and bad about motobecane just like anything else but i bought one anyway the deal was just too good too pass up.So i am a real clysdale right now weighing in at 240(workin hard too get that down though)and i can say so far which is only maybe 5 rides on some pretty rocky rooted trails in PA no jumps or drops really thought, this bike has held up good too this point.I rode once with the stock wheels(28 bladed spokes)they just made me nervous so i built a new set of wheels on hadley hub in rear and dt 240s in front with sun MTX rims.I just wanted some steardier wheels with my weight.So im liking this bike it rides well, but i am also still getting used too it being my first dual sus bike.My other bike being a jamis komodo 2 hard tail.Well like i said so far so good. im will try too keep updated posts if i have any issues in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Oh yea i also put on a easton ea70 riser bar and a shorter race face stem on mine, and wider kenda nevegal 2.1 tires as well.

HTFU!
    I love my Fantom Team. Here is what I changed:
    Tires/tubes: I rode it stock for a while until a couple of pinch flats changed my mind on some technical trails. I have used the stock, ultralight Kendas for a recent race that involved single track and dirt road road riding (and I can feel the difference), but for mostly single track with rocks and roots you don't want paper sidewalls. I use Maxxis Larsen most of the time, but when it is muddy these turn to slicks, so then I use Michelin Mud tires (if you are worried about weight, the Larsens are pretty light for a good tire, still, the best advice is to see what accomplished riders are using on your local trails). You will gain a bit of weight on the tires and tubes.

Seat: I originally took off the stock seat first thing and added a sleek gel WTB seat (from REI). I have since decided to get use to a lighter saddle and (stock from my Fuji Cross, because it looks cool) so the stock seat may be fine for you too as you will get use to it, but if you like a bit of cushion you may want to add some more grams with a better seat. I have now just about worn out my current seat and will likely put the stock seat back on this Spring/Summer.

That's it!

If you are looking to drop grams from your ride, you purchased the wrong bike. I considered carbon bars and maybe a lighter seatpost until I found out the difference in grams in negligible. In fact the Ritchey WCS carbon bar was 5 grams more than the aluminum bar on your Fantom Team. So changing to Carbon would be more for 'feel' or 'wow factor' than weight. Most people who have seen my bike know little or nothing about Motobecane and think the bike is just ridiculous for the price. I absolutely love it.
    Congrats!
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

CWW
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I owed a one for a couple weeks. The fantom team is a lightweight cross country race bike. You want to do AM, which is a much different purpose.

You will have to replace some stuff to make it an Am rig. If you have the mechanical ability, tools and the time, it may be an ok platform to modify.

Why not get a bike built already built for your intended use? Also if you do your homework, it might be a good time to pick up a used AM rig at a simular exspense.

By the way I'm a newb, I don't have in depth experiance or a mentor, so this forum and my experiences so far have been my instructor.

One thing I do know is that being a pilot and engine for a Mt. bike is a worthy physical and mental challenge. It takes me to my max and beyond every ride, I like it!

Good luck bro!
    Last edited by CWW; 02-15-2009 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bump + Hijack

Anymore long term reports? What have you changed or needed to? I was told the chain is hollow pin and may be good to go for XC use. So I'm going to immediately swap bar to riser, pedals to ATAC XS, grips to OURY lockon, tires to Fire XC's and a WTB saddle.

Any big fellas on these bikes? I'm 6', 1" and 235

Like the OP I have my eyes set on the Fantom Team. In my case, I'm just waiting for my bank account to fill up a bit more.

hijack over - now back to your regularly scheduled topic
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

HTFU!
    Oops, forgot to mention that I did swap out the chain after about six months. As far as the 27 tooth cassette, there is an entire heated thread on that topic. I did consider swapping it out for a 32 (can't go 34 with the stock rear derailleur), but ultimately decided against it. I am glad I did as I am now a stronger rider and more aggressive on climbs. I honestly feel like a 32 is not necesarry for most, but that is just my opinion. I would ask a mechanic that you trust what their opinion is (based on the local trails you will be riding) to get a better viewpoint. Anyway, I am now leaning toward a single speed and may actually pick up a Moto Outcast 26er SS frame (from bikeisland.com) and slowly build it up.
    For reference, I am 5'8" and now down to 166 lbs (from a peak of 190+ after a leg injury last summer). Not relevant, I know, but I still like telling people.
    Good Luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMHO
    can't go 34 with the stock rear derailleur
    Just for clarification, all Shimano mountain bike derailleurs are compatible with 34t cassettes. If they say it has a 33t capacity, that is the difference in total teeth between the largest combo and the smallest combo you would run. The XTR page lists both the capacity and the largest sprocket size

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have had a Fantom Team for 12 months:

Like others, I changed out the tires to Panaracer mountain tires.
    Changed the chain out to Shimano XTR.
    Changed the front shock to Sid Race.
    Returned the Monarch shock after 4 months when it didn't hold pressure and bottomed out immediately after pumping it up. New one works well so far.

Here's the sad story. The rear Avid Carbon brake squeals like a freight train when braking and vibrates the rear bike. When it vibrates so much like this, the brake does not clamp down on the rotor which is very scary. I changed out both the disc and the pads at the same time, made sure all bolts were tight and even tightened the wheel spokes. I took it to Mikes Bikes in Sacramento (the largest in the city) and the mechanic looked at it and told me he has had this same problem on Avid Carbon brakes before, including his own. The bike mechanic ( a veteran) was not able to remedy it thus he had to buy a different one. I have sent 4 emails to BikesDirect and each time they tell me to "try this, try that" but they have not offered to exchange it for a new one despite my attempts. Avid states I need to go through the bike store to warranty it due to the defect so I am stuck.

Bottom line. I would not purchase from them again.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Just for clarification, all Shimano mountain bike derailleurs are compatible with 34t cassettes. If they say it has a 33t capacity, that is the difference in total teeth between the largest combo and the smallest combo you would run. The XTR page lists both the capacity and the largest sprocket size
    Good to know for certain. My LBS mech. really did not want me to switch from 27 to 32, so I am sure he was trying to talk me out of 34. Glad I did not switch, but good to know it is not a problem to do so.
    Thanks for the link.

I did not have any issues with my Juicy Carbons other than the howling (which did not start until after several rides) I tried new pads on the rear and it helped, when it happened to the front, I just sanded and cleaned of the pads (and rotor) and problem solved.

hensta
    Wow, a SID on a Fantom Team. Did you just have it lying around? That is a hefty price to pay for a 225g +/- savings. I considered one on my singlespeed build but accepted the extra .5lbs as they seem to hold up better. Still, that must be one light bike.

mtbr member
    I've had mine for a year now. It's just about still stock.

Tires and tubes, for sure, get swapped for general riding.

The stock seat is amazingly (shockingly?) comfortable to me - but seats are so personal you make your own choice there.

I have left the stock chain and cassette. I only had a few occasions when I wish I had a lower gear. One I remember in particular was on an 11 mile climb at ORAMM last year.

Note that i did break the chain once on the trail. The bike had the tendency to toss the chain off the middle ring when the suspension was really active in rough terrain. I took a long hard look at the way the BB was set up and the chain line and made a decision to take one of the spacers out of the drive side BB and moved it to the non drive side. This improved the chain line and almost eliminated the problem of tossing the chain that lead to breaking a link.

My Fantom, for an unknown reason, has the nastiest howling sound that emanates from the rear triangle then i apply the rear brake. I have the Avid Juicy Carbon and G2 clean sweep rotors. after trying everything to find the cause (swapping rotors, pads, calipers, and truing the wheel) I finally swapped out to a Hayes rotor and the noise diminished. It's not gone, just better.

Overall the bike is great. I race and ride in events up to 10-12 hours as well as 1-2 hour fun rides. It has been a great bike.

Of note as well is Mike's assistance in answering questions and finding a solution to my brake noise. I would buy another. No question.

HTFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor_strebor
    I've had mine for a year now. It's just about still stock.

The stock seat is amazingly (shockingly?) comfortable to me - but seats are so personal you make your own choice there.
    Funny, I like the seat also. I recently bought a seat at nashbar.com for another bike, the Nashbar Race Saddle. They have it listed at regularly $69.99, now $14.99. Other than the cover, it is the same exact seat as the Skye Turbo saddle that comes with the Fantom Team. The rails, plastic, screws, cushion etc. is identical when you flip the seat over. Just an observation (obviously the same maker).

Edited: Realized I already mentioned the same info above (oops).

Like the guys at my LBS said, "The price is worth the components alone." I almost purchased a Motobecane single speed frame (from bikeisland.com) for a build, but got a sweet deal on a frame that was the color I wanted. Still, I will purchase a Moto again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by bquinn
    I'm pretty set on getting a Fantom Team here soon, but am curious as to what I might want to change to make the bike slightly more bullet proof for AM use? I'm not into parts and building bikes, I just want to ride it, clean it, and ride it more.

So, are there any items that may be considered light duty that I should prepare to replace?

thanks in advance for your help

BQ
    BQ, did you get the bike and what did you end up changing? Pics ? Gracias!
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

Members who have read this thread: 0