Why Are There No Reviews of 2019 Motobecane Bikes?- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Dec 2018

Why Are There No Reviews of 2019 Motobecane Bikes?

Every year, manufacturers send bikes to numerous outlets: magazines, youtube channels, and individual "social media influencers" for detailed review. Mountain Bike Action and Bike Magazine published detailed ride reviews in print, online and in video format.

Not once have I seen a bikes direct bike reviewed by any publications in the bicycling press.

In addition, the only reviews of these bikes on the forum are from forum members with single digit posts. This is very suspicious.

Bikesdirect is still in business. They must be selling bikes. Yet, reviews are nearly impossible to find. What's up?

Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    Every year, manufacturers send bikes to numerous outlets: magazines, youtube channels, and individual "social media influencers" for detailed review. Mountain Bike Action and Bike Magazine published detailed ride reviews in print, online and in video format.

Not once have I seen a bikes direct bike reviewed by any publications in the bicycling press.

In addition, the only reviews of these bikes on the forum are from forum members with single digit posts. This is very suspicious.

Bikesdirect is still in business. They must be selling bikes. Yet, reviews are nearly impossible to find. What's up?

B.D doesn't have model years. If they provided bikes to be reviewed they would certainly get reviewed, it has happened in the past. That said, reviews are largely useless anyway.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

EAT MORE GRIME
    BD bikes are fine,

it is largely the component spec which spans the gamut of BSO to Elite.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

it is largely the wonky geometry which spans the gamut of BSO to meh.
    I agree
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

banned
    Dec 2018
    In the age of information overload, Motobecanes are shrouded in mystery.

I've only seen one video on the motobecane hal6 boost. The only other recent reviews of BD bikes are all shot in 480 or 360, grainy, out of focus with the lowest quality phone cameras.

It seems like the reviewers are almost always from the Deep South.

I conclude BD bikes are for middle class and working class riders who aren't especially picky and have low expectations for their bikes as long as they are functional and not awful to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Larry would probably charge testers return shipping and a restocking fee.

Direct to consumer is more competitive now and I don't think BD can hang. The Coustermer service is long in the tooth. Kind if obvious the staff is burned out and just going threw the motion because they have worked there so long and are holding on to job that is a comforting dead end.

mtbr member
    Honestly, BD should just sponsor some YouTuber will moderate skills like Diamondback did with Seth's Bike Hacks. Just send the dude some Motobecane higher-end stuff and let him make videos about them. It wouldn't cost BD much of anything, and it would pay big dividends in selling more of their higher end stuff.

But that's the rub--they tend to sell out of a lot of their higher-end Motobecane stuff anyway. Maybe they just handle low volume of that tier, or maybe they just don't need additional advertising. I don't know, but I do wish there were at least more YouTube videos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I own 3 Motobecane bikes. I have a Fantom 29er singlespeed, a Lurch fat tire bike with the Bluto, and a an Omni Strada Comp gravel bike. I do live in South Texas (is that the "Deep South"?). I have owned bikes from big manufacturers including Cannondale, Trek, and Bridgestone.

At one time I was a sport MTB racer. I've won races in cross country, dual slalom and cyclocross. So, I have reasonably high expectations for how a bike should perform. I've sold all of my older competition bikes and now only own BD Motobecane bikes. I love each and every one of them. I've turned several of my friends on to them as well. Every one of my friends who've bought from BD loves their bikes as well.

I admit that my initial reason for buying from BD was the price point for the component specs. Now that I have 3 of their bikes I'd buy another without hesitation. I have noticed that other manufacturers are starting to do the direct to consumer thing and are coming out with bikes that match components on the motobecanes at a similar price. If I were to buy another bike right now I'd still consider BD and motobecanes, but for sure I'd also be checking other manufacturers. Diamondback in particular is putting out some really well spec'd bikes at great prices.

banned
    Dec 2018
    I've given up on finding any quality reviews of motobecane. You just won't find any in-depth reviews of these bikes like you would other bikes. Check out mtb yum yum, bike magazine, dusty Betty, or other review sites. Long, detailed reviews with careful assessment of ride characteristics.

The long stays and short reach seem to be out of step with modern frame design. Without any serious, in-depth reviews, I'll have to say no.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    They aren't selling anything that is stellar. Usually an outdated frame with cheap components, outdated suspension and old geometry.

No Advertising, Minimal R & D, A mix of shimano or SRAM components mixed with no name hubs, cassettes, seats.

No dealer network.

Not assembled.

All sorts of reasons.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    They aren't selling anything that is stellar. Usually an outdated frame with cheap components, outdated suspension and old geometry.

No Advertising, Minimal R & D, A mix of shimano or SRAM components mixed with no name hubs, cassettes, seats.

No dealer network.

Not assembled.

All sorts of reasons.
    I won't argue with all your points, but I'd point out that quite a few bigger name brands also use house-branded wheels, steerer-tubes, grips, seat posts, pedals, etc. And on entry-level bikes you'll find a lot of corners cut, regardless of the manufacturer.

I generally judge brands based on their higher end models. Motobecane's HAL bikes are thoughtfully spec'd. It's true, Bikes Direct isn't really doing R&D and is probably just piggy-backing off of Kinesis' in-house engineering teams, but I've never read that any of the high-end Motobecane's are sketchy. To the contrary, the founder of this site rides a Motobecane and sings its praises.

mtbr member
    People have to feel good about their expensive bikes so they put down a cheaper one like Motobecane. Look at the components on the $1500-2500 BD bikes; they are the same as the boutique brands going for $4000 and up.

banned
    Dec 2018
    I don't have any doubts about the quality of workmanship. I don't expect the frames to fall apart. The component groups are name-brand, no worries there.

My main concern is frame geometry: reach is typically shorter, and chain stays typically longer on motobecane/BD bikes. A bit out of step with modern geometry, but of course still rideable.

Not being able to test ride or demo these bikes really bothers me. And I can't really find bikes with comparable geometry because there really are none.

I'd love to put more stock into the positive reviews and posts defending motobecane, but everyone who defends the brand has virtually zero post history whereas everyone critical has hundreds or thousands of posts.

mtbr member
    I don't have any doubts about the quality of workmanship. I don't expect the frames to fall apart. The component groups are name-brand, no worries there.

My main concern is frame geometry: reach is typically shorter, and chain stays typically longer on motobecane/BD bikes. A bit out of step with modern geometry, but of course still rideable.

Not being able to test ride or demo these bikes really bothers me. And I can't really find bikes with comparable geometry because there really are none.

I'd love to put more stock into the positive reviews and posts defending motobecane, but everyone who defends the brand has virtually zero post history whereas everyone critical has hundreds or thousands of posts.
    Since my earlier post, I actually bought a Motobecane FantomDS Sport. It's an entry level bike, although it uses the exact same frame as many of their mid-level dual suspension models. I've posted a fairly thorough review that you might find of interest. I cover both the good and bad.

One thing I failed to note in my review, but I'll mention here since you touch on it is the geometry. I agree, this can be a big issue buying any bike online. I purchased a Windsor Cliff from Bike's Direct years ago, and the geometry is horrible (for me). That got me more interested in the topic though, so I read up on modern bike geometry before ordering a Diamondback Catch 2 and that paid off in spades--the geometry is just what I wanted, needed, and expected. On this Motobecane I just bought, I researched the geometry as well, and it is as expected. But yeah, not being able to try a bike before buying can be put-off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is most likely because BD picks frames from a catalog so the design has to be somewhat standardized before they will offer it. Then they will offer that same frame for many years. For example, their main fat bike frame design (Night Train/Sturgis) has been the exact same geometry for 5 years. I still have a lot of fun on mine though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
    I won't argue with all your points, but I'd point out that quite a few bigger name brands also use house-branded wheels, steerer-tubes, grips, seat posts, pedals, etc. And on entry-level bikes you'll find a lot of corners cut, regardless of the manufacturer.

I generally judge brands based on their higher end models. Motobecane's HAL bikes are thoughtfully spec'd. It's true, Bikes Direct isn't really doing R&D and is probably just piggy-backing off of Kinesis' in-house engineering teams, but I've never read that any of the high-end Motobecane's are sketchy. To the contrary, the founder of this site rides a Motobecane and sings its praises.
    I have the Shimano specced version of that downhill bike and it's really quite good, it's just a rebranded KHS DH 650 with slightly different components. I was originally going to buy a previous year Specialized Demo but it was almost $1000 more and had slightly worse components. That said, if you don't know how to wrench at all, probably best to stay away from the mail order stuff. The only negative I have to say about the bike is that I broke the derailleur hangar at one point and had to have replacements shipped from china which put the bike out of commission for a little over a week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I won't argue with all your points, but I'd point out that quite a few bigger name brands also use house-branded wheels, steerer-tubes, grips, seat posts, pedals, etc.
    Yes. And they are better than the junk on a bikes direct bike.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    Yes. And they are better than the junk on a bikes direct bike.
    Lol, did he just say "house branded steerer-tubes."!?!?!?! WTF.

And I agree, bike shop quality bikes come with better house branded components, no question.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    Lol, did he just say "house branded steerer-tubes."!?!?!?! WTF.

And I agree, bike shop quality bikes come with better house branded components, no question.
    Not entirely true; entry level bikes may come better component equipped but for the most part you get better level components from BD Motobecane bikes. I just ordered one with GX Eagle, M8000 hydraulic brakes, RockShox Pike forks & RS Monarch rear shock, and a dropper post. Show me that level on a brand name bike for $1999 with no shipping charges and no tax!

Save Up to 60% Off LTD QTYS of these 6 Inch / 150mm Travel Full Suspension 29er / Boost Mountain bikes 2019 Motobecane HAL Boost EAGLE LTD SRAM Eagle 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM EAGLE 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox

Also I've spent hours researching frame geometry and found the Motobecane bikes to be on par with other brands.
    Obviously Motobecane/Bikes Direct doesn't put money into fancy websites, advertising, sponsorships, or donating bikes for tests & reviews. All of these things would make the bottom line prices go up and good pricing is what makes BD attractive to people like me. If you look hard enough you WILL find some you tube videos of average Joes like me reviewing their bikes and how much they like them.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by metalskool View Post
    Not entirely true; entry level bikes may come better component equipped but for the most part you get better level components from BD Motobecane bikes. I just ordered one with GX Eagle, M8000 hydraulic brakes, RockShox Pike forks & RS Monarch rear shock, and a dropper post. Show me that level on a brand name bike for $1999 with no shipping charges and no tax!

Save Up to 60% Off LTD QTYS of these 6 Inch / 150mm Travel Full Suspension 29er / Boost Mountain bikes 2019 Motobecane HAL Boost EAGLE LTD SRAM Eagle 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM EAGLE 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox

Also I've spent hours researching frame geometry and found the Motobecane bikes to be on par with other brands.
    Obviously Motobecane/Bikes Direct doesn't put money into fancy websites, advertising, sponsorships, or donating bikes for tests & reviews. All of these things would make the bottom line prices go up and good pricing is what makes BD attractive to people like me. If you look hard enough you WILL find some you tube videos of average Joes like me reviewing their bikes and how much they like them.
    I hope you love your new bike, I really do.

You're dead wrong though, hanging good components on these bikes is like putting lipstick on a pig. When you buy your next bike from a quality brand you'll understand.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread, anyone quoting me from this point on will be ignored.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Maybe the people who are so adamant in their hatred of Motobecane bikes are the ones with the greatest ties to boutique brand bikes. Keeping the status quo ensures their existence. Calling Motobecane "lipstick on a pig" is ridiculous. This is the exact reason why you don't see people with high rep points posting reviews on here- haters gonna hate and people shy away from being attacked. It doesn't take long long to find posts from people asking "do you ever get picked on about your Motobecane?" What a wonderful world it would be if the MTB community welcomed all people because of our common joy of the sport not based on what brand bike we ride?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    For the most part BD bikes aren't that much cheaper then a similar products by other brands. Their MBs use back dated geo. However the Whipshot line looks much more in line with big name cross bikes at $1000 less. Heck, it would make a decent donner bike for a high end frame.

I have a hard time finding any bike under 3K with decent wheels. Maybe even $5K. There are a lot of factory speced wheels for sale that people pulled. A mid-weight, mid-priced wheel set around Hope hubs cost $550-700 add a favorite tire set for another $150-175. Few brands are adding that value.

banned
    Dec 2018
    Amazing. Still no reviews. However, two posters with a combined 24 posts are claiming they "just ordered." Hmmmmmm. Very fishy.

mtbr member
    Amazing. Still no reviews. However, two posters with a combined 24 posts are claiming they "just ordered." Hmmmmmm. Very fishy.
    I'll post pics when I get it.

banned
    Dec 2018
    I'll post pics when I get it.
    Simple question: do you have any affiliation with bikes direct or motobecane?

mtbr member

A 430 mm reach on a large is very dated. Provisions for a front derailleur is very dated.

The bike looks decent and probably rides great, but their stuff is old - noway around that fact.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

banned
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    A 430 mm reach on a large is very dated. Provisions for a front derailleur is very dated.

The bike looks decent and probably rides great, but their stuff is old - noway around that fact.
    Yeah I've noted that the geometry is out of step with recent designs. Everyone ignores this. Their brains default to: "stop being a bikes direct hater, Alex jones conspiracy guy!" or "bikes direct bikes snap apart with the first pedal stroke!"

People are just not capable of having reasoned conversations about this brand or it's bikes, despite my encouragement to do so.

So let's try: a shorter reach; why is this good or bad? Longer chain stays: why are they good or bad?

As far as the "new buyers" they're useless. They'll post a photo and add the tag: "rides great!" and then mysteriously vanish until the next motobecane thread pops up, in which case they'll re-emerge with some new alias.

mtbr member

So let's try: a shorter reach; why is this good or bad? Longer chain stays: why are they good or bad?
    Why is a longer reach better? Ask a Pole or a Nikolai rider.
    Why are long stays bad? They're not if the bike is balanced and the bike rides the way you want to ride. Some people like longer stays for stability. Some like shorter for playfulness.

Personally, I could care less.

Oh, did I mention front derailleur hanger????? What is that for again?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Simple question: do you have any affiliation with bikes direct or motobecane?
    None what so ever. Why do I have to prove to you I'm an average Joe like any one else? Who are you- do you have any affiliation to brand name bikes? A local bike shop that sells the same? Maybe close friends who work at a LBS or own one? I find your prejudice towards me just because I chose a Motobecane to be appalling. Also, as I said before: this is a prime example of why people are hesitant to post a review or ANYTHING about a Motobecane = it's met with ridicule and resentment. If I made a mistake and bought a lemon; I'll be the first to admit it. But thus far, I've only researched and purchased it and have not received it. Scheduled delivery is Wednesday so far. I'm not anti-name brand (I own a Trek and Cannondale & Treks for my family). But it seems others are not so open minded and are anti- bikes direct and/or Motobecane. Online shopping for bikes IS going to grow; whether or not other brands get on board with it, I don't know.

mtbr member
    I posted a review of my new Motobecane FantomDS Sport here in this forum recently--and I covered a lot of negative stuff (along with some positive). I also included a bunch of photos. I understand the skeptics might not be interested in the model I purchased, but hey, I've written pretty extensively about the bike and would be more than happy to answer any questions the critics have. It's not the top of the 2019 line, but it's based on their entry & mid-tier full suspension frame which is probably of interest to a lot of folks. I'd also point out that someone else who purchased the same model as I also chimed in on that thread with his .02 (and photos). Neither one of us is a shill.

FWIW, I think I got what I paid for. The frame is really nice, but heavy. It rides fine, and I don't have any reason to expect that will change. If I had it to do over again, would I still buy this Motobecane? Maybe--I'd definitely take a closer look at the Diamondback Atroz line which--after discounts--is priced comparably. For the critics--I've actually got some insight into the "value" aspect (or lack thereof) of my Motobecane. Ask me anything.

I don't think it's appropriate to basically accuse people on the forums of being a Bikes Direct shill--that seems a step too far. I honestly can't think of another bike brand that merits that kind of open hostility and suspicion. There's a lot of valid critiques of Bikes Direct's marketing, website, and non-innovation--but none of those things necessarily impacts the actual quality of the bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    None what so ever. Why do I have to prove to you I'm an average Joe like any one else? Who are you- do you have any affiliation to brand name bikes? A local bike shop that sells the same? Maybe close friends who work at a LBS or own one? I find your prejudice towards me just because I chose a Motobecane to be appalling. Also, as I said before: this is a prime example of why people are hesitant to post a review or ANYTHING about a Motobecane = it's met with ridicule and resentment. If I made a mistake and bought a lemon; I'll be the first to admit it. But thus far, I've only researched and purchased it and have not received it. Scheduled delivery is Wednesday so far. I'm not anti-name brand (I own a Trek and Cannondale & Treks for my family). But it seems others are not so open minded and are anti- bikes direct and/or Motobecane. Online shopping for bikes IS going to grow; whether or not other brands get on board with it, I don't know.
    Most people don't actually care about motobecane/ bikes direct bikes. The only reason they get a bad rep is because the users are insufferable. Every three months a new guy joins the forum, tells everyone else his purchase was better because it's just like their bikes, but cheaper. They say that's not true. He calls them "haters". Blah blah blah blah.

Go ride your bike. You're just as guilty of what your accusing other people of being. If you want to be useful and actually post a review I'm looking forward to reading it.

To answer your question, yes, I own a BD bike and have put literally thousands of miles on it on dirt.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

banned
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Why is a longer reach better? Ask a Pole or a Nikolai rider.
    Why are long stays bad? They're not if the bike is balanced and the bike rides the way you want to ride. Some people like longer stays for stability. Some like shorter for playfulness.

Personally, I could care less.

Oh, did I mention front derailleur hanger????? What is that for again?
    This isn't a thread about pole or Nikolai bikes. I had never even heard of Nikolai bikes until now.

Reach is a matter of fit, personal preference and riding style.

To answer my own question about how these bikes ride, I'd assume the ride is a bit more upright due to the shorter reach and stable due to the long stays, but a bit more difficult to manual. No reviews needed!

Don't know for sure since a test ride will cost me $2,000.

btw, I don't think the upcoming reviews are going to be of any benefit. The riders won't have any basis for comparison with bikes designed with more modern geometry.

I expect a quick useless newbie summary along the lines of "rides great!" and/or "amazing value!"

Shartacular Spectacular
    I have zero dogs in the fight and don’t have any kind of opinion either way... however, I’d like to insist that we start calling these real or imagined agents “Motobecanian Candidates”

...Inferring that they pop up and post due to some type of psychological conditioning they were subjected to before being returned to the mtbr population as unknowing sleeper agents...
    18’ SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27's, i9's, Float X2

18' SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9's, Avy Woodie

banned
    Dec 2018
    All you have to do is whisper certain trigger phrases like "Incredibly early Spring sales, up to 7,000% off...." and "pro bicycle shaped objects at/near wholesale prices..." It triggers their MK Ultra programming and they spring into action Jason Bourne style, their pudgy, under exercised fingers slamming against their keyboards karate style, spamming mtbr's motobecane subforum and beginner's corner as if they were actual beginning mountain bike riders desperate for a spectacular deal in a tough economy before Trump Made America Great Again.

Once the pseudo-mods start counter-trolling, they return to slumber, waiting to spam mtbr once again...

Or, maybe they descend from the motobecanaanites of legends past. The long suffering clan who were enslaved by the Big Three Egyptian pharaohs: Specialized, Trek and Giant. Only to throw off the yokes of oppression of Egypt by establishing strategic alliances with the Home Shopping Network-iites, Kinesis and Astro Engineering of the Far East. Lo, those who deign to build empires on the backs of these holy Chosen People hailing from 4624 Town Crossing Drive of Jackson, Florida.

All hail Motobecanaanites!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I have zero dogs in the fight and don’t have any kind of opinion either way... however, I’d like to insist that we start calling these real or imagined agents “Motobecanian Candidates”

...Inferring that they pop up and post due to some type of psychological conditioning they were subjected to before being returned to the mtbr population as unknowing sleeper agents...
    It strikes me as peculiar that so many non-Moto owners appear on these MOTOBECANE forums trolling and claiming there are trolls on here. I've posted who I am and that I am no employee or have no affiliation with Motobecane or Bikes Direct. I have asked if my accusers can do the same as for ties to local bike shops, big brands, etc with no reply!
    Perhaps those who own boutique brand things are the biggest trolls and haters in this forum? The reason I have a dog n this fight is because I don't want some one in the future to have a negative experience associated with their BD/Motobecane purchase just because of posts on a forum. When some one buys a big name/boutique brand bike on other sub-forums they are met with; "congrats", "sweet", or "enjoy". Sadly on here when some one spends their hard earned money they are met with trolling and negativity by people WHO DON'T EVEN OWN ONE! I am ashamed at this behavior as a member of the biking community.

Downcountry AF
    It strikes me as peculiar that so many non-Moto owners appear on these MOTOBECANE forums trolling and claiming there are trolls on here. I've posted who I am and that I am no employee or have no affiliation with Motobecane or Bikes Direct. I have asked if my accusers can do the same as for ties to local bike shops, big brands, etc with no reply!
    Perhaps those who own boutique brand things are the biggest trolls and haters in this forum? The reason I have a dog n this fight is because I don't want some one in the future to have a negative experience associated with their BD/Motobecane purchase just because of posts on a forum. When some one buys a big name/boutique brand bike on other sub-forums they are met with; "congrats", "sweet", or "enjoy". Sadly on here when some one spends their hard earned money they are met with trolling and negativity by people WHO DON'T EVEN OWN ONE! I am ashamed at this behavior as a member of the biking community.
    My comments come from personal experience. I owned a MB Boris fatbike for 1.5 years, until it broke and had to be retired. Is my opinion more valid now?

I replaced many parts in that time and very familiar with the construction and quality of the bike and associated parts.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can you point this behavior out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Can you point this behavior out?

If you take some time and read through the threads in this sub forum you'll find examples of this behavior. But for a quick reference here is from other threads:

The following post seems deleted but it was put up not long ago-

"LMAO! I told everyone the bikes direct troll reps would be out in full force! 5 posts, all in defense of bikes direct. :-) Shows you what a trash brand this is."

"Either super newbies check in immediately before/after snagging a great deal then abandon the forum.
    OR, bikes direct employees create burner accounts to create some small degree of hype which would otherwise be nonexistent on mtbr."

From this thread:

"It seems like the reviewers are almost always from the Deep South.
    I conclude BD bikes are for middle class and working class riders who aren't especially picky and have low expectations for their bikes as long as they are functional and not awful to ride."

"You're dead wrong though, hanging good components on these bikes is like putting lipstick on a pig. When you buy your next bike from a quality brand you'll understand. "

"I expect a quick useless newbie summary along the lines of "rides great!" and/or "amazing value!"

"I have zero dogs in the fight and don’t have any kind of opinion either way... however, I’d like to insist that we start calling these real or imagined agents “Motobecanian Candidates”
    ...Inferring that they pop up and post due to some type of psychological conditioning they were subjected to before being returned to the mtbr population as unknowing sleeper agents..."

"All you have to do is whisper certain trigger phrases like "Incredibly early Spring sales, up to 7,000% off...." and "pro bicycle shaped objects at/near wholesale prices..." It triggers their MK Ultra programming and they spring into action Jason Bourne style, their pudgy, under exercised fingers slamming against their keyboards karate style, spamming mtbr's motobecane subforum and beginner's corner as if they were actual beginning mountain bike riders desperate for a spectacular deal in a tough economy before Trump Made America Great Again.
    Once the pseudo-mods start counter-trolling, they return to slumber, waiting to spam mtbr once again...
    Or, maybe they descend from the motobecanaanites of legends past. The long suffering clan who were enslaved by the Big Three Egyptian pharaohs: Specialized, Trek and Giant. Only to throw off the yokes of oppression of Egypt by establishing strategic alliances with the Home Shopping Network-iites, Kinesis and Astro Engineering of the Far East. Lo, those who deign to build empires on the backs of these holy Chosen People hailing from 4624 Town Crossing Drive of Jackson, Florida.
    All hail Motobecanaanites!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you take some time and read through the threads in this sub forum you'll find examples of this behavior. But for a quick reference here is from other threads:

The following post seems deleted but it was put up not long ago-

"LMAO! I told everyone the bikes direct troll reps would be out in full force! 5 posts, all in defense of bikes direct. :-) Shows you what a trash brand this is."

"Either super newbies check in immediately before/after snagging a great deal then abandon the forum.
    OR, bikes direct employees create burner accounts to create some small degree of hype which would otherwise be nonexistent on mtbr."

From this thread:

"It seems like the reviewers are almost always from the Deep South.
    I conclude BD bikes are for middle class and working class riders who aren't especially picky and have low expectations for their bikes as long as they are functional and not awful to ride."

"You're dead wrong though, hanging good components on these bikes is like putting lipstick on a pig. When you buy your next bike from a quality brand you'll understand. "

"I expect a quick useless newbie summary along the lines of "rides great!" and/or "amazing value!"

"I have zero dogs in the fight and don’t have any kind of opinion either way... however, I’d like to insist that we start calling these real or imagined agents “Motobecanian Candidates”
    ...Inferring that they pop up and post due to some type of psychological conditioning they were subjected to before being returned to the mtbr population as unknowing sleeper agents..."

"All you have to do is whisper certain trigger phrases like "Incredibly early Spring sales, up to 7,000% off...." and "pro bicycle shaped objects at/near wholesale prices..." It triggers their MK Ultra programming and they spring into action Jason Bourne style, their pudgy, under exercised fingers slamming against their keyboards karate style, spamming mtbr's motobecane subforum and beginner's corner as if they were actual beginning mountain bike riders desperate for a spectacular deal in a tough economy before Trump Made America Great Again.
    All hail Motobecanaanites!"
    Sounds like a no. None of these were people sharing store about their new bike, and getting trolled out of nowhere.

This same conversation happened about four weeks ago, with the same conclusion.

Get over it and go ride your bike.

Also, just use links to other threads.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a no. None of these were people sharing store about their new bike, and getting trolled out of nowhere.

All of those replies were trolling in this thread and the others were from a thread about me potentially buying a bike. Did you even read it? I'll be dismissive as well, just go ride YOUR
    bike and get over it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    All of those replies were trolling in this thread and the others were from a thread about me potentially buying a bike. Did you even read it? I'll be dismissive as well, just go ride YOUR
    bike and get over it.
    Yeah, that thread is a good example of what I'm talking about.

There was another another about the time you joined the forum that covered this topic.

Re-hashing this same made up issue every three months is a waste of time. Move on.

mtbr member
    It's not made up, not rehashed, and you seem to enjoy keeping it going; move on.

Downcountry AF
    All of those replies were trolling in this thread and the others were from a thread about me potentially buying a bike.
    Wrong, what you take as trolling is me sharing my experience with this product. Not speculating or talking shit, just stating facts.

You can choose to ignore my words and learn the same lessons I did the hard way. In time you will gain more experience and change your view.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

You’re 100% wrong. ‘Westernmtb’ Was posting that anyone that liked their motobecane or defended it, worked directly for bikes direct and was a paid troll. He said this numerous times. After the moderator warned him to cool it, he kept it up and eventually his posts got deleted, I assume by the moderator. The moderator also deleted several of mine apparently because I pointed out his posts didn’t even make sense and he even contradicted himself about several geometry points. Anyways I’m not going to rehash it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrider View Post
    Anyways I’m not going to rehash it.
    You just did.

These threads have gone on, at nauseum, for years. I described this exact thread weeks ago, before it even happened.

Nobody cares about your Moto bacon. It's in your heads. Get over it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You just did.

These threads have gone on, at nauseum, for years. I described this exact thread weeks ago, before it even happened.

Nobody cares about your Moto bacon. It's in your heads. Get over it.

That’s why you’re in a motobecane thread, because you don’t care. Yep. About as intelligent as ‘at nauseum’. Google it, genius

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That’s why you’re in a motobecane thread, because you don’t care. Yep. About as intelligent as ‘at nauseum’. Google it, genius
    It's auto correct, surely it's happened to you before.

I care about how about how dumb all these threads are.

If that's all you've got to say then you are done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Delete

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It's auto correct, surely it's happened to you before.

I care about how about how dumb all these threads are.

If that's all you've got to say then you are done.

That’s how you get to 2,796 posts. All well thought out arguments!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That’s how you get to 2,796 posts. All well thought out arguments!
    They were too much for you, that's for sure.

I hope a mod wipes this out to make room for the next thread just like it. I look forward to your future posts that offer gear review, ride report, etc. Hopefully we get to hear about how you like your motobecane and what you do with it.

mtbr member
    Getting back on track; I'll post a quick "review" of my HalBoost since the title of this thread is about reviews. While it's too soon to give a detailed one (only had my first trail ride yesterday) there is one thing that I noticed. I was curious about the rear linkage after reading about general maintenance in another thread. I took apart the upper chainstay to yoke-linkage and found the parts to be bone dry with no grease. There was blue loctite on the threads and the bearings were a sealed type. I noticed the bolt sleeve that goes through the unit had some small scratches in the black anodizing. I smeared grease on all the surfaces and reapplied loctite, then reasembled those 2 pivot points. It brought back memories of replacing the bearings on my KX250 linkage from my moto-x days. I now plan on doing the rest before I get too many miles on it. This is something I don't think a store bought bike would have an issue with. Beyond that; I totally blew away my best times on my hardtail riding my usual trail circuit.

mtbr member
    Getting back on track; I'll post a quick "review" of my HalBoost since the title of this thread is about reviews. While it's too soon to give a detailed one (only had my first trail ride yesterday) there is one thing that I noticed. I was curious about the rear linkage after reading about general maintenance in another thread. I took apart the upper chainstay to yoke-linkage and found the parts to be bone dry with no grease. There was blue loctite on the threads and the bearings were a sealed type. I noticed the bolt sleeve that goes through the unit had some small scratches in the black anodizing. I smeared grease on all the surfaces and reapplied loctite, then reasembled those 2 pivot points. It brought back memories of replacing the bearings on my KX250 linkage from my moto-x days. I now plan on doing the rest before I get too many miles on it. This is something I don't think a store bought bike would have an issue with. Beyond that; I totally blew away my best times on my hardtail riding my usual trail circuit.
    If you get a chance, consider posting a new thread with a review. I know you've posted some photos in some other threads, but it would be nice to have your experience laid out in one thread. I'm very curious about the bike's weight. This was my biggest 'surprise" with my FantsomDS Sport--it was a lot heavier than I expected. And since Bikes Direct doesn't disclose bike weights, it's a significant metric that rarely gets properly documented.

On a side note, I'll share my personal experience with my DB Catch 2 that also has a Kinesis frame. I went to service my rear suspension a few months ago and found one of the bolts was seriously over-torqued to the point that it required a warranty claim for a new axle for the lower pivot point. Kinesis makes great frames, but I do think it's smart to check lubrication and torque on their stuff very soon after you receive the bikes.

banned
    Dec 2018
    Amazing, two new supposed customers of motobecane with brand new bikes spend the entire weekend trolling the motobecane subform instead of riding. That tells you all you need to know.

poser Administrator
    If you get a chance, consider posting a new thread with a review. I know you've posted some photos in some other threads, but it would be nice to have your experience laid out in one thread. I'm very curious about the bike's weight. This was my biggest 'surprise" with my FantsomDS Sport--it was a lot heavier than I expected. And since Bikes Direct doesn't disclose bike weights, it's a significant metric that rarely gets properly documented.

On a side note, I'll share my personal experience with my DB Catch 2 that also has a Kinesis frame. I went to service my rear suspension a few months ago and found one of the bolts was seriously over-torqued to the point that it required a warranty claim for a new axle for the lower pivot point. Kinesis makes great frames, but I do think it's smart to check lubrication and torque on their stuff very soon after you receive the bikes.
    I think this is wise with all direct to consumer bikes. I have purchased a number of Diamondback bikes and all have come with just a thin smear of grease in wheel and freewheel bearings. Doesn't make a great seattle bike commute bike with that. I now make it a break in prep to pull all seals and put real grease in all my bearings. This also includes the BB as they come with a thin smear direct from praxxis and/or sram in my cases.

Grease in bearings is good. Lack of grease can turn anything into an expensive paperweight. I would wager the QA/QC process for most bikes doesn't cover this, and when profit margins are tight with direct to consumer brands, this probably is even less rigorous.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

banned
    Dec 2018
    I've seen a few unboxings where canyon customers rave about how well built their bikes are, so much so that they hardly require any adjustment at all. Not to mention they have an actual phone number where reps will pick up the phone and talk to you about a service claim or simply to help you trouble shoot.

A properly built and adjusted bike is worth many hundreds of dollars initially and can cover your backside long term.

As far as reviews, this thread just proves my point. I started the thread back in FEBRUARY. Count how many reviews there are of motobecane bikes since then. Now, count how many troll posts there are with idiotic comments saying anyone who criticizes motobecane rides with a basket (which I think is an awesome idea btw), or believes in Area 51?!? It's unbelievable how idiotic and incoherent their posts are.

They supposedly just received brand new bikes, the weather is perfect, and instead they're cooped up all weekend long indoors on their computer devoting their time to trolling the bikesdirect subforum.

These reps will never post an actual review because they don't actually ride. They're just here to intimidate anyone who is even slightly critical of the brand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I think this is wise with all direct to consumer bikes. I have purchased a number of Diamondback bikes and all have come with just a thin smear of grease in wheel and freewheel bearings. Doesn't make a great seattle bike commute bike with that. I now make it a break in prep to pull all seals and put real grease in all my bearings. This also includes the BB as they come with a thin smear direct from praxxis and/or sram in my cases.

Grease in bearings is good. Lack of grease can turn anything into an expensive paperweight. I would wager the QA/QC process for most bikes doesn't cover this, and when profit margins are tight with direct to consumer brands, this probably is even less rigorous.
    As a fellow Diamondback rider, I'm just curious what models you've noticed this on. On my Catch 2, the only problem area I encountered was the pivot points on the Level Link suspension. I went ahead and serviced my bottom bracket at the same time and I guess I got lucky. I've read in the DB forum that other people have had similar issues with grease & lube on their Release models. What I don't know is if this is a Kinesis issue or a manufacturer-specific problem. Do you know if DB and Bikes Direct assemble themselves, or if the Kinesis factory basically builds the bikes?

On the Motobecane I bought for my girlfriend, I actually replaced the square-taper BB (+cranks +chainring) and those were actually greased pretty good. I haven't pulled the rear suspension apart (yet) but probably should do so before she starts putting miles on it.

poser Administrator
    As a fellow Diamondback rider, I'm just curious what models you've noticed this on. On my Catch 2, the only problem area I encountered was the pivot points on the Level Link suspension. I went ahead and serviced my bottom bracket at the same time and I guess I got lucky.

On the Motobecane I bought for my girlfriend, I actually replaced the square-taper BB (+cranks +chainring) and those were actually greased pretty good. I haven't pulled the rear suspension apart (yet) but probably should do so before she starts putting miles on it.
    couple of haanjo carbon trails. Both had scant grease in wheels, freehub, and BB. I suspect headset might be similar but haven't dickered with that yet. Kind of a bummer because I ran one a set of bearings out in one of the wheels. Opened them up and they were pure rust with a little rusty grease in the bearing cages. Cleaned them out and rehab them the best I could but they are not the smoothest rolling. On the new bike I greased them first. Still running strong.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons