Why no FLYS?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Why no FLYS?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Why no FLYS?

I will be purchasing a Moto HT within a month. After reading many (too many, losing sleep) posts, I've noticed that the majority of you own Fantoms vs. FLYS. I really like the FLY PRO HT. It's lightweight, great comps/specs, and nearly identical geo as compared to the fantom elite, and it looks f'n awesome. There isn't a big difference in price (FLY team and FANTOM team are identically priced, for example), so why aren't more people buying FLYS? Is the Fantom a better bike?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    The FLY is a more race oriented geometry versus the FANTOM is more of a trailbike. Don't know if most owners even know that, just pointing it out...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    The FLY is a more race oriented geometry versus the FANTOM is more of a trailbike. Don't know if most owners even know that, just pointing it out...
    Correct, but not all of them. The Fly Team Ti and The Fantom Pro Ti uses the same frame.

DynoDon
    I bought the Fantom Team because its Full Suspension, and it flies too..our trails get alot of use near Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan so the trails are rough and the FS treats my ol' body better. I also have a Fantom Comp, that don't get much use since I've gotten the Team, but it's a great loaner/backup bike.

S*it Happens!
    Part of the problem is that a lot of FLY HT owner don't post much...I guess their too busy racing. The Fantom guy's have come out of the closest and made some post...

Here is a photo.

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

banned
    Nov 2008
    I own a 9357 FLY and I had it for about 3 years now. I bought it used for dirt cheap and still ride it up until 3 weeks ago. The frame and the components have taken a beating from me...all 240lbs of me, but the bike keeps going.

The crank arm walked off the bottom bracket screw and stripped it so I have to fix it. Other then that the bike is solid. The guy I purchased it from actually used to xc race it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Regarding the FLY 9367, how much abuse can/would it take? I am interested in buying one but a bit two sided over weather it will take abuse along with the SIDS and XTR, would it be wiser to get a more durable fork like a Reba and exchange XTR for XT, get a stronger less race orientated wheel-set and maybe a XT crank set?

So what do you use your Fly 9357 for?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottAspect10
    Regarding the FLY 9367, how much abuse can/would it take?
    If abuse is a concern, get the titanium frame. It will last. Better save on components.

Lightweight aluminum does have a more limited lifespan.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I did end up going with the Fly Pro. Great decision. I had to make some adjustments to the cockpit (got rid of the straight bars for risers, needed high rise stem) in order compensate for my 36 inch inseam (seat on 22 in frame is nearly maxed). Bike has held up to some serious abuse in 4 months. My body, on the other hand, isn't as resilient. Ride hard in the fall, heal over the winter, hit it hard in the spring...

Members who have read this thread: 0