When do the 2011's come out? Or do the prices drop on the 2010's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

When do the 2011's come out? Or do the prices drop on the 2010's?

I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Fantom 29 PRO SL and was wondering if anyone know's when the 2011 models will be coming out?
    My current 10 year old Giant gets me through the trails fine, but I am itching to join the 29er world. If the 2011's come out in the next month or two I might wait to see what bikesdirect has to offer, or see if the prices drop at all on the current 2010's.
    Anyway thanks in advance,
    Kris

Trail Ninja
    There's no specific time that 2011 models come out. New models appear year round in the bike industry. You need to be specific on what you're looking forward to. The frames won't likely change, but components do. Are you looking forward to something major like a new fork, wheels, or component group? The new SRAM stuff with 2x10 (XX was released already), will be available late summer, but I only heard of them being spec'ed Motobecane's more expensive models. Not sure about Shimano's DynaSys's release date nor about Rock Shox's Reba 29 offerings with Blackbox damping.

I'm in the same spot. My 10+ year old Schwinn Homegrown needs a replacement and I'm looking at a Ti 29 replacement. I read that there may be a Fantom 29 Ti that will receive more of an AM treatment in contrast to the Fly 29 Ti's XC design (in the "why a moto fly 29 ti?" thread).

S*it Happens!
    As most things go up in price from one year to another. If an existing model hasn’t changed from the previous year. I can’t see why there would be a price drop. If the price stays the same, I guess that would be the savings you’re looking for.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Trail Ninja
    He was hoping for the prior models to be cleared out in a sale to make room for new ones in a web sale to save $100 maybe.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    He was hoping for the prior models to be cleared out in a sale to make room for new ones in a web sale to save $100 maybe.
    Sometimes they do that...if they change something.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah I was more looking for a price drop on the 2010's that are left when the 2011's come out.
    I think I will be ordering one this weekend, or early next week. Hopefully my next post will include pictures .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I don't have any inside info about BD, but here is how I think things tend to work there. A lot of models will sell out before a switch. This tends to be more on higher end bikes. You will see some remaining odd sizes for a discount, but there won't be many of them and they are the very large or very small sizes.

For the less popular bikes you will see price drops, but you wouldn't notice unless you are watching regularly. It's not advertised as a year end closeout, it just shows up as a nicer deal.

They do have a newsletter where they advertise special (often low quantity) deals. Some are very good deals but they usually go fast.

In short, BD seems to be very good at managing inventory (which is reflected in their pricing). There isn't an outside manufacturer pushing them to clear new stock and order new like there is with big name brands. They order bikes when they think they can sell them and they know their market pretty well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was in the same situation but ended up buying the Phantom 29er Pro SL. Looking at the 700HT there is only a $50 difference in price between the '09 and '10. I figured that I'd rather ride the bike now instead of waiting to save $50-100.

Anyway, that's my 2 pennies.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Fam Money
    I was in the same situation but ended up buying the Phantom 29er Pro SL. Looking at the 700HT there is only a $50 difference in price between the '09 and '10. I figured that I'd rather ride the bike now instead of waiting to save $50-100.

Anyway, that's my 2 pennies.
    That and the only notable change is a lockout level for the fork (on the crown). All the detailed pics are the same except 1 got swapped to detail that change. For $50 more.

Their Alu frames sell out rather slowly, while their Ti offers go fast.

Members who have read this thread: 0