Wheel rebuild and broken brake lever- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wheel rebuild and broken brake lever

Two time before I lost two nipples on my rear wheel drive side. Figured it it happened again I would have the wheel rebuilt with brass nipples.

Headed out on a ride at local BCGB (Barton Creek Green Belt) trail and two miles in I blew four nipples at once. Rear wheel locked up during a speed uphill. The bike endowed with me attached and broke off the rear brake lever. Hiked bike the two miles out and dropped it off at my local LBS (Mellow Johnny's).

Two weeks later due to waiting on parts from Avid. Total cost was $155.00 with parts and labor.

Lesson learned. If you start breaking nipples just have the wheel rebuilt. It looks like when my wheel was hand built by Veulta there was a bad batch of nipples.

Just sharing my experience. Go ride!

AZ
    banned
    Had you ever maintained the wheel ? Its always a good idea to keep an eye on spoke tensions on new wheels .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Had you ever maintained the wheel ? Its always a good idea to keep an eye on spoke tensions on new wheels .
    Yes, with the two prior nipple failures I had the wheel fixed and inspected. I think I just got a bad batch of nipples. I have two other mountain bikes with less expensive wheels and have never had a nipple or spoke problem. Thank you for your reply.

AZ
    banned
    Run this by B. D. ? I'm sure they would want to know about problems of this nature .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Run this by B. D. ? I'm sure they would want to know about problems of this nature .
    If this were a recurring issue I am sure we would see more threads complaining about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0