Whats the Consensus on these new MB Carbon Fiber 29ers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Whats the Consensus on these new MB Carbon Fiber 29ers

Hey what's up guys, I'm in the market for a new bike after my trek fuel carbon's frame snapped LOL. Thing is I live and ride in NYC and I bunny hop and jump over all kinds of curbs and crap so I'm looking for a new CF hardtail 29er and saw that motobecane has a few new nice looking carbon offerings the first being,

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - FULL CARBON 29er Hardtails Motobecane FANTOM 29 CF EAGLE 1X12, RockShox Forks SRAM EAGLE 1X12, WTB Tubeless Compatible 29er CARBON Mountain Bikes

then the higher level kestrel, which has been out for a while and has got some great reviews :

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Kestrel MXZ Carbon 29er SRAM NX EAGLE 1X12 SRAM NX EAGLE 1X12, WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible 29er Mountain Bikes

Then just yesterday I realized that they added a new frame type:

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - FULL CARBON 29er BOOST Hardtails Motobecane FLY 29 CF NX-EAGLE 1X12, RockShox SID Forks SRAM EAGLE 1X12, DT SWISS Tubeless Compatible 29er CARBON Mountain Bikes

Which I guess is comparable in weight to the kestrel but now offers BOOST hub spacing and all that jazz. What I am really wondering is how heavy the CF Fantom Eagle will be compared to the CF Fly Eagle and Kestrel which are both said to be around 22-23lb.

Also another odd thing is that the CF Fantom and CF FLY are both are preorders but they will be shipping in the next few weeks. SOOOO my main question is is it worth the 800$ extra bucks for the CF FLY vs the CF Fantom ?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    +1 I would also like to know. I haven't seen a new Kestrel frame catalog online to see if they are selling just the frame either.

mtbr member
    I'm almost positive that the less expensive CF Motobecane has cheap hubs that use the old-school 9mm axle. If so, this is not good at all as it will make your upgrade path much more expensive and complicated. I have the same issue with my Motobecane FantomDS Sport...even though they sell a higher-end bike using the same frame, my bike shipped with those old-school hubs. You can't upgrade your fork unless you first upgrade your front wheel. You won't be able to do anything about the rear wheel (most likely) because the frame is set up for only that specific style hub. You'll be stuck.

Now whether or not that's a deal breaker for you, I can't say. The more expensive version is spec'd nicer (I'd wager the majority of the markup cost comes from those DT-Swiss hubs), but functionally I'd wager they'll both perform fine.

Motobecane's aren't known for their resale value, so you might want to take that into account.

If your Trek merely has a cracked frame, you should really consider just ordering a nice CF frame directly from China and swapping over your components. That's a helluva lot cheaper. If you're unfamiliar with that subject, check out the Chinertown forums.

Edit: You can pick up a good CF frame from around $350-$750...full suspension frames are at the higher-end of that price range. Hardtails are pretty reasonable. If you've already got solid components from an old Trek, this is 100% the way I'd go if I were you. If you want to check out some pretty cool carbon catalog frames, here's a nice write-up over at Pink Bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for that in depth response Forbin. It's funny I was actually going to do exactly what you are saying but after looking around my 06 Fuel does have excellent hardware, but that was back in 06 lol.

The write up on pink bike looks pretty interesting,since my current bike is still rideable (kindof) I may just start acquiring decent parts on the cheap when they pop up on sale and build it up slowly.....

Another option I found seems like a great deal is the Eagle Patriot:

https://eaglebicycles.com/shop/eagle...mountain-bike/

I can upgrade the fork but I'm worried about the hubs and axles like you mention. I know the new thing is boost which would be nice to have but I'm not sure how much it would really benefit me. I definitely want thru axles but what do you guys think about boost and the eagle patriot in general ?

mtbr member
    You absolutely need a thru-axle if you're buying a new bike. Avoid the old-school skewers like the plague. You'll have no upgrade path, and it is extremely difficult to find higher-end forks. It's just outdated tech now (like 26" wheels). Unfortunately you'll still find it on entry-level bikes...especially direct-to-consumer ones (like Motobecane) where it is difficult to discern exactly what you're getting.

If you've got components like a good drivetrain and forks then just get a frame. That Chinertown forum is probably your best resource for all your options, although there are good posts here at MTBR as well.

If you're skittish about ordering directly from China, check out Ebay--there are a crap-ton of carbon frames on there including ones from Cannondale, Niner, et.al. They're going to run you less than buying a new bike, and if you've got components then all you need to do is build it or get your shop to throw the parts on for you.

If you've got money to burn or mountain biking is a big hobby for you, then just buy a new bike--but I wouldn't buy anything with old tech (like 9mm QR skewers). You'll regret it every time you look to upgrade or when you try to sell it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the quick reply Forbin, you are the man. So I wrote a much longer response which somehow got deleted but what do you think would be a better machine.

A- The higher spec'd CF Motobecane that has TA's and Boost for 2000$
    ( Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - FULL CARBON 29er BOOST Hardtails Motobecane FLY 29 CF NX-EAGLE 1X12, RockShox SID Forks SRAM EAGLE 1X12, DT SWISS Tubeless Compatible 29er CARBON Mountain Bikes )

or

B - The lower spec'd Eagle Patriot (1000$) then adding another grand worth of upgrades
    (https://eaglebicycles.com/eagle-mountain-bikes/)

The only problem with the Patriot is that I can't find any info about the the axles or hubs anywhere.... Pretty fkn annoying honestly, really appreciate all the help man, much appreciated and if anyone else has any input please do share.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdiesel1 View Post
    The only problem with the Patriot is that I can't find any info about the the axles or hubs anywhere.... Pretty fkn annoying honestly, really appreciate all the help man, much appreciated and if anyone else has any input please do share.
    If you use a PC or laptop you will have enough screen to see the detail in the product photos. Novatech QR scewers are glaringly obvious on my laptop but on my phone I almost thought I seen a maxle lever hahahahahaha. I was possibly looking at the silver or gold though because those ones do have thru axles and the gold does show the maxle badging. not sure what is on the silver, whatever comes on a reba fork.

mtbr member
    That Eagle bike really doesn't list many spec's, and that is just suspicious IMHO.

If you're wanting to purchase a complete bike, check out the Felt Doctrine 4 XC Carbon over at Chain Reaction Cycles. It is priced lower than the higher-end Motobecane. I'm not vouching for that bike, but it should give you more upgradeability than the Eagle or the lower-end Motobecane.

I'm sure there are other lower-priced carbon builds out there that will serve you well. I just can't recommend buying a $1000+ bike with little to no upgrade potential (or resale value).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
    That Eagle bike really doesn't list many spec's, and that is just suspicious IMHO.
    This is so true, kind of weird that their so cheap but you can't find any info about them anywhere.

It is funny that you mentioned the Felt because I also was contemplating that since it is on sale for such a great price. Decisions, decisions.......