What Does Your Moto Weigh?- Mtbr.com
    DynoDon

What Does Your Moto Weigh?

This is my 2010 Fantom Team Full Spension, I've added weight since I got it, like, Sram 990 cassette, heavier chain, heavier saddle Fizik Aliante XM (great saddle), riser/wider bars, extented Oury grips, chainstay protector, I did put in lighter Maxxix Flyweight tubes @ 95 grams, and Shimano M-540 SPD's. It still only weighs in at 25.1 pounds. I normally run Rocket Rons @ 440 grams, the Kenda Klimax Lites are 345 grams so add another 1/2 pound and its still a 25 pound bike. I'm racing Saturday and want to try the lighter tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSyNK1FweR8

Low Rep Count
    Well, I cheated a little bit as mine is a single speed. Weight is/was 20.5 lbs. Currently sitting at 21 though as I swapped out my seatpost/seat again. I suspect that it will stay about the same once the new Blacksheep post arrives. Unfortunatly, I need a little more layback than the KCNC straight post can provide and I am sitting right at the minimum insertion line on my Ritchey. Both posts are 350mm and the new post will be 380 so I can safely get that 1-1.5 cm more needed in height and it will have a 20 degree offset w/ a Thompson clamp. I will more than likely order the Smud upper/lower craddles for it which will knock a few grams off but still won't be as light as my KCNC post. Oh well, it rides nice and it will fit better.

Pic has the bike w/KCNC post but currently it has a Ritchey WCS and the bar ends have been pulled off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does Your Moto Weigh?-moto11.jpg  

mtbr member
    After several upgrades, my outcast ss is now 22.6 lbs. Looks similar to 1spd's build above, but I will post an updated photo one of these days.
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    That's great! I keep flipping between different smaller parts so the weight keeps jumping all over the place though I have not crossed the 22 lbs mark. I had it back up to 21.7 last week and started feeling sick to my stomach and had to go back and swap some things back out. Still waiting on the new post and a set of new brake levers as I went back to my BB7's after getting tired of messing with my front Hayes Stroker. I too will post up a pic when those last two parts arrive. Pretty excited to see it myself actually.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a Fantom 29PRO SL ... size 17 26.5 lbs..

Low Rep Count
    Sweet! I thought about buying one and putting an ebb in it to convert it to a single speed. But money is tight so that will just have to wait at this point.

mtbr member
    I have a Fly Pro but not certain what it weighs in at since I don't have a bathroom scale let alone a real one.

I figure I have a net gain of around 400-500 g depending on if counting my small seat pack. I currently use Welgo B132s, a bottle cage and small bikeplanet computer. I think my Ritchey WCS Carbon lo-riser bar and WCS stem are an even exchange to maybe a touch lighter than the stock Ritchey pieces. Same for my bio-max pro seat vs the stock Ritchey pro seat.

If I get a reason to take it to a LBS I might get them to weigh it.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

mtbr member
    1spd, you and I have a fever...and the only cure is lighter parts. Cheers
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Well, my new levers will be cnc alu and weigh 60g for the pair. I finally got my paypal account straight and went to pay for them and ended up picking up a ti bottle cage as well from the same guy. Wt on btl cage is 22g which is about 18g less than the one I have been using and since it is ti I know it won't crack like a carbon one (oh, and it pretty much matches my frame)

Once the levers get here, I will be taking some measurements of the cable barrels as Toronto bikes sells them in two different sizes. Once I confirm the size, I will be placing an order for a bunch of ti bolts since everything else is pretty much done. Won't drop a ton of weight but it is something I have been saying that I was going to do once I was pretty much finished with the bike. Stay tuned.

DynoDon
    I shaved off over 80 grams, with some Maxxis Flyweight tubes, (95 grams with rim tape) they are thin, I've heard of people having bad luck with them, so I cleaned the inside of the tire good, then put talc in before the tube, no problems, but we don't have thorn problems here, just rocks, and roots..

Low Rep Count
    I am tubeless here. 29er tubes weigh too much. A standard 29 tube is about 200 grams. My wheels have about 80 grams of sealant in them and the rim tape/strip of course. The ride is great and I still probably shaved about 100g per wheel. My tires weigh about 530g for the front and 540g for the rear so that was a big drop over my winter set up with Mt Kings weighing in at 710g ea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Fantom Pro Ti

19.8 # with my heavier "comfort" saddle. Lot's of carbon & titanium upgrades.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does Your Moto Weigh?-fantom-pro-ti.jpg  

DynoDon
    Thats a Light Bike !!! Nice, Rocket Rons Rock !!, Thank you for your service !!!

Low Rep Count
    Sweet!

In looking close at the rear brake area, it looks like a pretty tight bend in the cable where you have it connected to the seat stay. Have you thought about skpping the first cable mount and simply putting a zip tie on it up in between the two? Just a thought. I had a line crack on me once because I had such a tight bend in it. It took a while but it eventually cracked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow - that saddle is really pointing down.

My new Fly Ti 29er weighs 24.3 lbs with pedals. Not bad!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

22.8lbs according to bathroom scale (me+bike - me). 19" frame all stock except added platform pedals and switched tires to Vulpines (not shown in pic).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My XTR Ti 29er (20 spd) weighs just over 24 lbs with pedals (that are just over 1 lb).

mtbr member
    Finally got the new fork on, the scale says 22 but I suspect closer to 22.5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does Your Moto Weigh?-p5180006.jpg  

Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Way to go! Looks familar for some reason??? Unfortunately, I was down to 20.88 the other day but my new post showed up today and it went back up. But I will take it. Ordered new carbon cradles from Smud the other day so that should shave a few more grams as well as a couple more ti bolts (won't make much of a difference in wt).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Does Your Moto Weigh?-moto-weight.jpg  

What Does Your Moto Weigh?-brake-bolts.jpg  

What Does Your Moto Weigh?-front.jpg  

What Does Your Moto Weigh?-drive-side.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    Just about all bolts are now ti. Just replaced the slider bolts, hub mounting bolts, stem bolts, brake caliper mounting bolts, caliper bolts, rotor bolts, seat clamp bolts... Love Toronto Cycles! Also in love with my new Black Sheep post!!!!

mtbr member
    Slick, 1SPD. Those rotors look pretty light- custom?
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Not at all! Just KCNC Razor rotors. I believe they weigh 73g in a 160mm and cost about $25-30 ea. on ebay! The other option is the Ashima rotors which weigh about 83g or so. You can get them at Toronto Cycles or Price Point (I think) as well as ebay and I think they cost a few dollars less. Both work pretty well. Ordered some sintered pads for my BB7's that should be here in a couple of days. Hopefully this will quiet some of the brake squeal I get from the stock pads and may improve braking even further.

Members who have read this thread: 0