Vuelta wheels- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vuelta wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Vuelta wheels

I currently am shopping for some lighter wheels for my Jamis. I really like the Vuelta XRP team SL wheels on my Motobecane. But I wanted to see if I could find any more info such as long term durability. I found a lot of forums where people said that Vuelta is a great wheel company, but Vuelta XRP wheels are not the same company and their wheels are not good. But I researched it a little bit and found that both companies have the same address, therefore they are the same company. Also I found that Vuelta markets a wheel called the Montagna SL, which you can clearly see is the exact same wheel as the Vuelta XRP team SL just with different graphics.

I just think it is funny how people make ignorant claims about things just based on their price. It is just like with Motobecanes, rather than realize what a great deal they are, people would rather say they suck because they are cheap.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Apr 2008
    I totally agree with you. I myself did some research cause I ended up liking the Vuelta XRP Mountain Pro, 2 cross wheels. I found that the only downside is wieght.. They say the wheels will take alot of abuse ( much, much more than my WTB SpeedDiscs).........So I ordered a pair and will receive them tommorow. I'm glad I gots me my MOTO

excalibur
    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT_DICE
    I totally agree with you. I myself did some research cause I ended up liking the Vuelta XRP Mountain Pro, 2 cross wheels. I found that the only downside is wieght.. They say the wheels will take alot of abuse ( much, much more than my WTB SpeedDiscs).........So I ordered a pair and will receive them tommorow. I'm glad I gots me my MOTO
    ...So now you have had them a while what's the verdict, looking at them myself but would like a user opinion before I do. Thanks in advance

Just Ride !
    I have a set of older xrp vision ( rim brakes) with the vuleta hubs and have takin alot of rock gardin abuse and still silky smooth and true to this day..
    Hit the trails with your bike and get freaky. :cornut:

mtbr member
    I have the Vuelta XRP Pro wheels that came on my Windsor Knight road bike. Very light, although not as light as some more expensive wheels. I had to get the rear wheel trued once in the last year of riding, but it wasn't that far out. I'm very happy with the wheelset, and I couldn't justify buying anything else at this point. Light, strong, and they look good (with or without the decals).

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have XRP SL Team that came with my titanium 29er. Well, had. This fall I accidentally smashed into the curb and made a nice flat spot on the rear wheel. With some hammering I shaped it back to what it used to be. Since then I lost 2 spokes. Basically rear wheel is gone. My fault mostly. Spokes went out when it was -25C outside. High tension and temperature change is bad news. Lesson learned. Managed to get 3200km from it.

HTFU!
    My 2008 Fantom Team came with the XRP Team Superlites. I liked them so much I bought a pair for my single speed in 2009. I found they were the best bang for the buck (weight and price). So almost three years on my FS and almost two years on my SS and they are still solid. And keep in mind, these are not just sitting in my garage for extended periods of time. Last year I rode my over 2,500 miles on these wheels. Sure I have replaced a few spokes, but that was from me slamming sideways into rocks or tree trunks. I have had one set trued once and had a rear hub serviced once. I have been very pleased thus far with the quality of these wheels.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have a pair of the XRP Pro & a pair of the lighter XRP Team and have never had any issues with these wheels. I'm just over 190# and these wheels are very durable and very light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have the XRP Team on my 29er and at 230lbs they flex some.

mtbr member
    Anyone know what the weight of Vuelta XRP Pro 29er wheels is?

mtbr member
    Nevermind. 2100g

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    THe 29'' Vuelta Pro SL wheels are fairly light on the cheap and I can attest to the strength. I am 230+ with gear and I haven't managed to get them to bend even with the occasional oops. They weight in at: F=940g R=1180g. They are not great however for going tubeless IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I took a header today during a race, the wheel is still true, not sure what I hit. This gives me a little more confidence in the wheels.

They are difficult to make tubeless but it can be done.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I just made my 29er Vuelta Pro Sl tubeless. I used the Stans 29er strip. Racing Ralph 2.4 went on in a flash, Kenda small block was pretty easy. WTB Exiwolf would not catch, but it worked on my Vuelta cyclocross wheel. All have been perfect for three weeks of riding.

I'm new to the tubeless scene and not too good at it. If I made them work, anyone can.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    I just made my 29er Vuelta Pro Sl tubeless. I used the Stans 29er strip. Racing Ralph 2.4 went on in a flash, Kenda small block was pretty easy. WTB Exiwolf would not catch, but it worked on my Vuelta cyclocross wheel. All have been perfect for three weeks of riding.

I'm new to the tubeless scene and not too good at it. If I made them work, anyone can.
    Which stans kit did you use? I used Gorilla tape which actually worked well but I blew the tires off the rim diving into a hole. I just think the cinchers on the Vuelta are not quite as pronounced as other wheels and need perhaps a bit more pressure to keep them on, I was running like 23F/25R. With tubes I run 25/27.

newfydog
    May 2009
    I used the Stan's 29er strip over the original strip. It just fits under the bead. I'm running 20 psi up front

http://www.notubes.com/29er-Rim-Strip-P106C13.aspx

Members who have read this thread: 1