Upgraded to a Fly TI 29er X0- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Upgraded to a Fly TI 29er X0

After several months of patience, I finally pulled the trigger last night for a Fly TI 29er. I prepaid for one in May. I got all the confirmation emails today. I'd like to hear from Fly owners on a couple of things. Has anyone found the stock seat usable? I'm expecting to have to change it out. I may do a demo program to find the right seat. What about the short, straight bars? Again, I'm expecting to switch them out. Grips and tires go too. Can anyone recommend an aggressive, high volume 29er tire to convert to tubeless for WNC? I have a couple in mind, but I'd like to hear from others. Thanks.

One other thing, what length stem does the Fly 29er come with?

Paying now and waiting a month is going to require even more patience.
    Last edited by motox72; 04-07-2011 at 07:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Can anyone tell we what the stock stem length is on the Fly Ti 29ers?

DynoDon
    Congratulations, I can't help you with info, only a few parts are the same on my Fantom Team/Comp I think your gonna be a happy camper, I don't envy your wait. That was the hardest part when I bought my Moto's, great bikes. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks Manabiker,

I bought a Fantom 29er less than a year ago. I never planned on getting into this like I have, so much so that I wanted an upgrade. The base Fantom never caused me any problems, I just really wanted the TI Fly 29er. I imagine in a year or two, I'll be looking to get a FS bike.

I'm just trying to get all the stuff for the new bike before the bike arrives so I don't have to wait again.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I bought the Fly Ti with XTR in December, the seatpost, while maxed out has worked fine for me (17 inch frame and I'm 5 10). Give it a try before being sure you need to get a new one. Grips, these are a personal issue but mine are now Ergon. I believe the stem is size specific but mine is 110 and fits great.

All your changes are minor and personal, that is to be expected. Overall the bike is great, climbs great and has made me more comfortable on the downhills too, a fun bike to ride.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. The weakest part of my biking is the motor, so any help on the up hills is huge. Good point, about frame/stem length. I've ordered the 21 inch frame, so if anyone has the Ti Fly 29er, I'd love to hear what length stem came stock. I'm also curious if anyone was fine with the stock saddle. I thinking maybe a pure V. My Fantom 29er came with a speed V and it never cause any issue so I kept it. For $600, that is/was a great entry level bike.

DynoDon
    I was happy with my first Moto, and set up the second one to the same measurements, pedals to seat, seat to handlebars, handle bars to pedals, so waiting for the bike was a better option, so I could set it up to match the bike I was comfortable with, at least that was a good starting point.
    I had a simular seat to your new bikes seat, the Ritchey Pro, I rode it for a few hundred miles, it was lighter then the Speed V I had on the other bike, but not an entry level seat, not a bad seat, but when it started wearing through on the tip of the seat I replaced it with a Fizik Gamma XM, I wish I had changed sooner, but the original seat was a good seat, the Fizik is just the one for me.
    Pedals, grips, computer, bottle rack, tires, those are changes I made before the first ride, I'm glad I waited for the other changes, so I had time to get a chance to find out what I really wanted, now after almost 1,000 miles I may make some more small changes, but it works so good now I may not.
    The parts that came on my Team were more along the lines of Weight Winnie, I want comfort/durability more, so my bike has gained weight, but not much more then a pound or so.
    Good Luck with the new bike..

Members who have read this thread: 0