updating an older Motobecane hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

updating an older Motobecane hardtail

Have been thinking about updating my Motobecane hardtail - a 2000 model HT400. The frame is solid, comfortable and fits me well (a little better than my full-suspension XC race bike). So, I have some questions for someone who has updated an older model. The frame is not the same as the ones used now for the HT 300 - HT 700 series.
    - will the frame accept a 9-gear cassette? It currently has a 7-gear, although it looks like there is some kind of spacer.
    - is the frame wide enough to accept wheel hubs used now?
    - how do I know what length of steerer tube for the new fork? I don't think the original will guide me, because it is a discontinued RST fork with a quill and a threaded headset.
    - anyone know the frame weight?
    - how about the frame dimensions, especially the fork and seat-tube angles?
    Thanks in advance.

May 2008
    A frame from 2000 probably has a 135mm rear dropout spacing which is what present day frames use and will work with a 9 speed drive train, you will have to upgrade your chain, your crank, your derailleurs, and your shifters. If the wheels use a free-wheel and not a cassette you will need new wheels for a 9 speed cassette. I know some 7 speed bikes (trek 820) still use freewheels. Since you have a quill stem it is most likely a 1 inch headset, which was more commonly used with quill stems, the modern standard is 1 1/8 inches. However, a lot of bikes had switched to 1 1/8 headtubes and threadless headsets by then, so I can't give you a complete answer without measuring the frame.

If you are willing to part with the bike, consider that it might just be cheaper to buy a new bike with the components you want and sell the old one. Here's the cheapest 27 speed motobecane hardtail on bikesdirect website:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

Here's one for the same price if you want to try a 29'er
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...antom29_08.htm

Finally, another 29'er 27 speed for under $500 (this bike is a steal at this price):
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...liff29comp.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    With the low price of Motobecanes, it seems to make much more sense to just buy a new bike. You can upgrade what you have, but you will probably spend as much as you would buying a new bike.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

No-Brakes Cougar
    Have you consider adapting it to a commuter?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Well, I did the math on buying the parts I'd need (or want) and you guys seem to be right. It looks cheaper to buy a new bike, even though upgrading parts SHOULD be a more logical way to go.
    Thanks for your input, guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brass
    Well, I did the math on buying the parts I'd need (or want) and you guys seem to be right. It looks cheaper to buy a new bike, even though upgrading parts SHOULD be a more logical way to go.
    Thanks for your input, guys.
    You have to realize that components are so marked up that it is very expensive to upgrade a bike. If you are patient and shop around there are some good deals to be had, but it is a lot of effort. Bike manufacturers buy in such a large quantity from the component makers that they get a HUGE discount over what you pay. So a bike manufacturer is charging you mostly for the frame, and throwing in the components at a very low cost. When you factor in a direct seller like bikesdirect, it is hard to upgrade for cheaper than the cost of a new bike. Some people buy Motobecanes just to use as build kits and then they sell the frame.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Members who have read this thread: 0