Tubeless compatible from the box?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tubeless compatible from the box?

So, I just built up a 2016 Fantom29er X7. The wheels are TCS from WTB. But...are the Nano's that come on the bike stock tubeless ready? I've looked at WTB's website and the Nano's on there have slightly different labeling. If they are good to go, I should be able to get the TCS kit and be on my way, no?
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I can't speak for the Nano's but I recently got a Fantom29er Pro tcs and it came with wire bead Bronson's but I'm pretty sure they are the same rims. All I needed to go tubeless was tape and stems. Kind of bummed the bike didn't come with the stems. Not a big deal though.

mtbr member
    WTB rims will grab onto the WTB tires just fine. Their rim shelfs do a good job of preventing burps. the hardest part is the tape (which the TCS tape will work fine) and getting the initial burst of air to push out the tire. An air compressor is really useful for this.

I just did a tubeless setup with non-TCS tires by putting down tape and putting in the tube. Aired it up, got both of the tire beads to seat, then let out the air and only unseated one side of the tire to remove the tube. Put in a tubeless valve, taped it down, put the loose tire back on and it seated fine. Actually increased the width of the tire too.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Good feedback, thank you! I would have been pretty bummed if I got the tape, valves, etc... and then nothing worked until I had to get new tires. The Nano's aren't my favorite, but I'll ride them until they're worn out.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyChap View Post
    I can't speak for the Nano's but I recently got a Fantom29er Pro tcs and it came with wire bead Bronson's but I'm pretty sure they are the same rims. All I needed to go tubeless was tape and stems. Kind of bummed the bike didn't come with the stems. Not a big deal though.
    Nice, so your Bronson tires are tubeless compatible?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Honestly, I haven't tried mounting them tubeless. I left one on the front for a little while with a tube but out here in AZ I thought the Bronson was too soft for the rocks and hardpack. It just seemed like it wallowed around too much. I bet it's a great wetter weather tire though.

Even though they were wire bead I would bet they would mount up tubeless as the bead fit nice and tight on the rim.

mtbr member
    you shouldn't need a compressor... if the rim is a tubeless rim and the tire is a tubeless tire... it should just pump up... if it doesnt, try pushing up and down on the tire where the valve is while airing up the tire with the pump...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    you shouldn't need a compressor... if the rim is a tubeless rim and the tire is a tubeless tire... it should just pump up... if it doesnt, try pushing up and down on the tire where the valve is while airing up the tire with the pump...
    ? I didn't even mention using a compressor or even having a problem. ?

Anyway, I've got these rims on my MB and Stans Arches on another bike. I think the Arches mount up non-TCS tires better than the WTB's but they both work just fine. Mounted them with just a standard floor pump.

These WTB's have held up just fine. Might be a little heavy but they are pretty nice for an inexpensive tubeless ready rim.

Joe, Did you ever find out if your Nano's were wire bead? If they were wire bead did you try mounting them up tubeless?

DC

mtbr member
    ? I didn't even mention using a compressor or even having a problem. ?

Anyway, I've got these rims on my MB and Stans Arches on another bike. I think the Arches mount up non-TCS tires better than the WTB's but they both work just fine. Mounted them with just a standard floor pump.

These WTB's have held up just fine. Might be a little heavy but they are pretty nice for an inexpensive tubeless ready rim.

Joe, Did you ever find out if your Nano's were wire bead? If they were wire bead did you try mounting them up tubeless?

DC
    t, this post was directed to Watts' comment.. not you

I made a huge mistake by quoting the wrong message.. sorry..

on a side note here is someone mounting a tire onto the same rim..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZjGLecVvuo

he is obviously using stans tape, valve, and sealant

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    No apologies needed. Just wasn't sure if I missed something.

Good video. I saw that he cut the stem opening completely out. I've always just done a slice and then installed the stem. Learn something new every day.

Thx!

DC

mtbr member
    Not saying a tubeless setup without compressor can't be done, it just makes it easier. The guy in the video went around the tire and pre-set the bead out near the rim edge. If this isn't done, hand pump probably won't work. And a compressor is a good thing to have around the house.

Still not sure of the stock tires are tubeless or not, but at 27TPI (and probably wire bead & heavy), might take it as an opportunity to get a true TCS tires.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    the wtb tcs rim and tires on my Omni Strada pumped up without a compressor and I did no pre setting... must be a 1 in a million miracle.. I feel so lucky