true the wheel- Mtbr.com

Thread: true the wheel

Apr 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well true the wheel

im trying to true my wheels on my 400HT the tire is sealed on the rim what do i do dont want to mess it up i never had a rim sealed like this before dont know how to get the tire off the rim

~Disc~Golf~
    Dude... p.u.n.c.t.u.a.t.i.o.n.!!
    What do you mean by your tire is sealed to the rim?
    Why do you need to remove it to true the wheel anyways?
    Do you have a tire lever?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Oct 2005
    Best thing to do is to take it to the LBS you got the bike from. They generally provide tuneups and other minor stuff like this for a year or more with the purchase.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No offense intended, but if you can't take the tire off, you can't true the wheel. I change flats all the time and I don't trust myself yet to true wheels.

Apr 2009

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Dude... p.u.n.c.t.u.a.t.i.o.n.!!
    What do you mean by your tire is sealed to the rim?
    Why do you need to remove it to true the wheel anyways?
    Do you have a tire lever?

the damm thing was stuck on its a brand new wheel.dont have to be a smart ass.dont repley next time then,and you do have to take the rim off if you want to do it rite shows how much you know . you shouldnt be give nobody any tips.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey D28
    the damm thing was stuck on its a brand new wheel.dont have to be a smart ass.dont repley next time then,and you do have to take the rim off if you want to do it rite shows how much you know . you shouldnt be give nobody any tips.
    Shows how much I know??
    Well, most of the time I can punctuate, spell and be somewhat grammatically correct so that my posts aren't a headache to decipher.

I wasn't being a smart-ass - I asked you valid questions.
    I have been building wheels for the last 10+ years, so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about (a little ). You don't have to accept any tips I give.
    BUT..
    If you could explain how exactly the tire is stuck, we'd be able to help you get it off.
    FWIW, the tire (you just said rim) DOES NOT have to be off of the wheel to true it. Sure, when I'm building, I don't have a tire on, but that just has more to do with my order of assembly. I have trued numerous wheels with the tire on just fine (others' of course! my wheels don't need to be re-trued ).

So, please, try again and we'll see if we can help.
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-27-2009 at 08:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    "I change flats all the time and I don't trust myself yet to true wheels." True that!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Best thing to do is to take it to the LBS you got the bike from. They generally provide tuneups and other minor stuff like this for a year or more with the purchase.

dude he got the bike online.....
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shows how much I know??
    Well, most of the time I can punctuate, spell and be somewhat grammatically correct so that my posts aren't a headache to decipher.

I wasn't being a smart-ass - I asked you valid questions.
    I have been building wheels for the last 10+ years, so I'd like to think that I know what I'm talking about (a little ). You don't have to accept any tips I give.
    BUT..
    If you could explain how exactly the tire is stuck, we'd be able to help you get it off.
    FWIW, the tire (you just said rim) DOES NOT have to be off of the wheel to true it. Sure, when I'm building, I don't have a tire on, but that just has more to do with my order of assembly. I have trued numerous wheels with the tire on just fine (others' of course! my wheels don't need to be re-trued ).

So, please, try again and we'll see if we can help.

haha Im with you.

Some times it's not worth your time to try to help people. gotta love this internet thing that people ask for help and people say stuff trying to help. but owell some people like to mess up there stuff.... i mean try to fix.

btw dude don't try to true your wheels if you can't even take off a tire don't even waste your time trying (it's not easy to do nor something id try to learn online). just spend the $10 on the bike you got online and "saved" all that money your could have saved by just getting a bike at a shop. But hey bringing the bike to a shop for a tune up is $60 every once and awhile or free for the first year when you get a bike at a shop.

owell gotta love online. people just hate when they can just move the screen down.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by salsamoto
    dude he got the bike online.....
    OH man! I guess he's going to have to pay someone to do what could have been included in a local deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/

I have found that the Park Tool Website is one of the best quick and easy reference guides. You do not even have to know what things are called just point to them on the bicycle map.
    Not to take sides or anything but run on sentences can be pretty annoying, especially when you are the one asking for help.

Motobey

about wheels

for those that know how! I put together a wheel after changing a hub, and have some spokes that are too big, I got must of the wable off it, but lost the roundness in the process. any hints?
    I replace the hub from an older to a formula like to a disc one. The dish appears to be good. Any Hints.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    for those that know how! I put together a wheel after changing a hub, and have some spokes that are too big, I got must of the wable off it, but lost the roundness in the process. any hints?
    I replace the hub from an older to a formula like to a disc one. The dish appears to be good. Any Hints.
    How do you mean that some spokes are too big?
    on your wheel, you should only have two sizes of spokes - 1 size for the drive-side(DS) and possibly a different size for the Non Drive-Side (NDS).

Front wheel:
    Rim brakes - spoke sizes are the same; Disc brake - NDS spokes are shorter.
    Rear wheel:
    Rim/ Disc brakes - (cassetted wheel) DS spokes are usually shorter.

So you say you got the wobble out of it - do you mean laterally (side to side)
    and now you have 'hops' radially?

It sounds like to me you didn't tighten the spokes progressively (provided you have the correct size spokes on the correct side) - what I mean by progressively is that you start at one spoke and tighten only a little, then the next - and so on all the way around the wheel. Then repeat.
    You never snug up a spoke all the way or all you get uneven tensions - leading to a wheel build like you describe.

My advise... Back off all the nipples till there is one thread showing on the spokes. Then tighten every spoke in order a little at a time (say one turn or so). This will seem very tedious, but it is well worth it . As the spokes start to get tighter, do a half turn all the way, then a quarter and so on.
    Make sure you are turning the nipple in the correct direction every time and keep it consistent. Start at the valve hole every time and DO NOT STOP till you have made it back to the valve-hole - you will most likely loose your place.

First off read this though - http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm
    read it twice if you need to

You might want to post this in "wheels and tires" as many more people traffic that forum ( Mike and myself included -as well as others who are familiar w/ building)

Motobey
    How do you mean that some spokes are too big?
    on your wheel, you should only have two sizes of spokes - 1 size for the drive-side(DS) and possibly a different size for the Non Drive-Side (NDS).

Front wheel:

First off read this though - http://miketechinfo.com/new-tech-wheels-tires.htm
    read it twice if you need to

You might want to post this in "wheels and tires" as many more people traffic that forum ( Mike and myself included -as well as others who are familiar w/ building)
    It is the front wheel, and I try that.
    As I started to lace that wheel I notice that some of the spokes from either side kept coming to long. Like you said I may have mix the drive side (where the hold for the disc rotor is) with the other side. I may need to redo it. Thank you.
    is there a way to figure out how short the drive side needs to be?

~Disc~Golf~
    It is the front wheel, and I try that.
    As I started to lace that wheel I notice that some of the spokes from either side kept coming to long. Like you said I may have mix the drive side (where the hold for the disc rotor is) with the other side. I may need to redo it. Thank you.
    is there a way to figure out how short the drive side needs to be?
    Yeah, when you first start lacing, some spokes may poke out further than others.

If you think you may have mis-matched the spoke length, pull them all out and make sure you have the shorter ones on the rotor side (do one side at a time first - leading or trailing roughly) - [for clarification - (I couldn't tell if it's what you meant) the rotor side is the non-drive side].

Once you have the all the spokes roughed in (using the technique/ order that Mike prescribes) and then have all the nipples tightened with one spoke thread showing, all the spokes should be poking out the same distance per side of the wheel (different sides may 'poke' more, but they should all be even per side)
    If they are not (obviously) you did something wrong in the lacing - you'll need to start over. No need to go any further because it just wont work

Again read Mike's tutorial and have it handy as you go along, he did a bang-up job explaining what to do IMO. Good Luck!

BTW - if your doing your first wheels in less that 4-hours, you are rushing - I been building wheels for a while and it still takes me a good full afternoon to get a set done. Take your time - it's time well spent

Motobey
    Yeah, when you first start lacing, some spokes may poke out further than others.

If you think you may have mis-matched the spoke length, pull them all out and make sure you have the shorter ones on the rotor side (do one side at a time first - leading or trailing roughly) - [for clarification - (I couldn't tell if it's what you meant) the rotor side is the non-drive side].

Once you have the all the spokes roughed in (using the technique/ order that Mike prescribes) and then have all the nipples tightened with one spoke thread showing, all the spokes should be poking out the same distance per side of the wheel (different sides may 'poke' more, but they should all be even per side)
    If they are not (obviously) you did something wrong in the lacing - you'll need to start over. No need to go any further because it just wont work

Again read Mike's tutorial and have it handy as you go along, he did a bang-up job explaining what to do IMO. Good Luck!

BTW - if your doing your first wheels in less that 4-hours, you are rushing - I been building wheels for a while and it still takes me a good full afternoon to get a set done. Take your time - it's time well spent
    That's a good web you got me to, I use the Sheldon originally. He's got it figure out. I will re-do it I'm in no rush.
    for me is neat to see it come together, maybe latter I will learn some of the other lacings, but for now the 3 seem to be easy.

~Disc~Golf~
    That's a good web you got me to, I use the Sheldon originally. He's got it figure out. I will re-do it I'm in no rush.
    for me is neat to see it come together, maybe latter I will learn some of the other lacings, but for now the 3 seem to be easy.
    Yeah, Sheldon is good for some gereral info, but Mike is a pro builder (building for 40+ years) plus he posts here on MTBR all the time (Mike T.)- so he's a good resource if you get confused about something. (he'd deny it if ya called him an 'expert' )
    Also, I don't really see any reason to do anything but a 3-Cross for 98% of building applications for MTB - so you're definitely thinkin on the right track (plus your spoke lengths wouldn't work for any other style anyways )
    You might also look for Roger Musson's E-book on wheel building ( I think mike mentions him in his tutorial as well) Really good resource for future builds.

Have fun and don't get frustrated - It's really rewarding when you make a nice set yourself

Members who have read this thread: 0