Is Titanium worth an extra grand?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is Titanium worth an extra grand?

Hey guys. I have been thinking hard about getting one of those Moto HT 29ers. I know titanium is great, but is it worth an extra thousand bucks? How much lighter is the ti frame?
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    To be honest, no, probably not for a non-expert rider. I would probably have done much better to save my 1000$ (I just bought a Fly TI 29er XO) and lose 10 pounds. If I had to do it over again though, I would do it in a second. I love my new bike.

To answer your question, the frame is only a few pounds lighter anyway, rather nothing when you think about it for a weekend warrior.

AZ
    banned
    It may be worth it if your an Elite level racer . Now if you just want one , how do you put a monetary value on want ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the alum 29pro rode it for 8 months, up graded some parts during that time, bought the ti frame and fork, and then swapped parts over. So was it worth $1000? Yes! The ti frame takes the edge off of trail chatter so it makes long rides easier. Not to mention how much easier it climbs. My fly team - 23.8lbs the 29pro 30.1lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not only does $1,000 buy you a lighter, smoother frame, you also get lighter wheels, components, better brakes, and an upgraded drivetrain. You would not have to be an elite racer to enjoy the benefits of Ti, if you regularly ride 2 or more hours you would appreciate the upgraded frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeap, you're not paying extra $1000 just for the frame. All components are upgraded as well. Personally I love my titanium 29er. It's actually almost as cushy on the trails as my carbon all-mountain FS rig (that cost twice as much).

mtbr member
    I think budgetary concerns will push me more towards the Fantom Pro for now. Looks like a killer deal for $1,200. I know size questions get asked to death, but at 5'8" with about a 30" inseam, should I go with the 15" or 17"?

For comparison, I ride a medium Santa Cruz Superlight and it fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    I am 5'12", with a 32" inseam and ride a Pro SL in a 17". I have the right amount of standover to keep the boys safe. I'd guess the 17" would be tight for a 30" inseam.

I am lusting after a Fly Ti 29, but still haven't pulled the trigger. I don't know if I can rationalize it. I know I could shave 3 lbs off the bike, but I am not racing. Ultimately, the Pro SL doesn't hold me back any. I like the handling characteristics of this frame geometry enough that if Moto ever came out with a Ti version of this frame, I'd buy it.

As far as upgraded componentry on the Fly Ti's... it might be better, but only if it fits you. I had to change out the bars, saddle, and stem. I also swapped out the cranks and the seatpost, because I had lighter ones in my parts bin.
    Last edited by h2o-x; 11-04-2010 at 08:49 AM.

S*it Happens!
    I know for myself having a ti bike is more in the want category…like much in life. There will always be that internal debate between our needs and our desires. So is it worth it?

The bikes do have a bit more going for it them just a ti frame…like some upgraded parts over the pro sl.

Only you can really say…
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Anybody know if the 2 x 10 build will be available on the non ti bikes any time in the near future?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    looks like all of the 2011 Ti bikes are sold out anyhow

Rollin 29s
    It was a 'want' for me to when I decided on the Fly Ti. However, after my trusty old '97 GT LTS aluminum frame fatigue cracked in a few places after years of hard use, I also decided on Ti because I take care of, maintain and keep my bikes forever. This is a lifetime investment that I plan on riding as long as the bike is functional. Ti lasts much longer than aluminum, does not fatigue as rapidly as steel, or rust, and has a more compliant ride than either steel or aluminum.

If you change bikes every few years, as it seems a majority of people do, and you are on a budget, then consider if the extra expense is worth it.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    And to add to Isleblue's comments...I bought mine for the ride quality. I wanted a bike I could ride 25 miles off road, get off an still feel good. I can't do that as readily on an Al hardtail like I can on this bike. Its really all I want. I could have built it even faster...with lighter components but I would have escalated the cost even more so went with good solid mid level components.

mtbr member
    You reach a point where, the disposable bikes just don't cut it anymore. That's when Ti frame is in order!

Steel is real...Ti is fly...carbon fiber is good for constipation.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    I am 5'12".
    Oh really?

Members who have read this thread: 0