tektro aquila discs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

tektro aquila discs

heya, i'm looking at snagging the 700ds as it looks like a very more-then-entry-level bike for an entry level price. the only thing that really gives me pause are the tektro aquila disc breaks. i know most of the grief over tektro is the I/O but what are people's experience with the aquilas? i'm 6'2" 220lbs (ok ok probably 230! ) and i need to make sure i can stop my fat hide, especially when i'm heading down a hill

anyone with experience with them would be muchos appreciated! thanks!

mtbr member

Mine work

I have the TEKTRO AQUILA mechanical disc brakes on my 700 HT and I like them a lot but I have nothing to compare them to except my old 10-speed brakes. Flying down a paved hill, I feel like I've got all the stopping power I could want. On basic singletrack, I have far more breaking than I need.

Not sure if that helps, and I know the post is old, but since no one else responded, I thought I'd put in my 2 cents. At 170, I'm 50 pounds lighter.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I use those on my bike. It came standard with the bike, and though i have used hydraulic brakes before (hayes nine) those mechanical aquilas do a good job. Not as direct as hydraulic (can feel the cable stretch a little), but the braking force is comparable in my opininion. After allmost a year use, i have not had to change the pads yet.. so i would recommend them.

mtbr member
    They are ALOT better than the IO's IMO

mtbr member
    I weigh 210. The Aquilas came on my 29er. They had really awful stopping power. I swapped the 160mm rotors out for 203s and they work great now.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I weigh about 230-40 and they are ok. I think there are better brakes out there but they do stop ya

mtbr member
    The bike I just picked up has Aquila's on it, and they have loosened up a little since I first got the bike, but I can still lock up either tire anytime I want almost. I cant imagine wanting anymore stopping power. I am a fat ass too, at 260-280 pounds

My only real gripe with them is all the strange noises they make. They grind and jingle, and scrape. I can hear them when making hard turns bigtime. I will definitely be upgrading to some decent hydro's eventually, but i suspect these Aquilas will be good for as long as I decide to use them.

Like I said, much better than the IO or IOX, I tried bikes with all of them, and the Aquilas were part of the reason I decided on the bike I got.

Bushwacker
    Yep, mine lock up on dry pavement with ease. One run I do is a 3 mile, 1800 foot decent and I haven't noticed any fade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandontw
    My only real gripe with them is all the strange noises they make. They grind and jingle, and scrape. I can hear them when making hard turns bigtime. I will definitely be upgrading to some decent hydro's eventually, but i suspect these Aquilas will be good for as long as I decide to use them.

Like I said, much better than the IO or IOX, I tried bikes with all of them, and the Aquilas were part of the reason I decided on the bike I got.
    I have one bike with Tektro IOs. They work pretty good using Avid SD7 levers, but they are not the greatest. I also have some Avid Juicy Carbons on my Moto, but they make so much noise. The front make a chirping noise that I cannot adjust out of them. I think discs just make noise regardless of the brand. Maybe I need to get organic pads?

mtbr member
    I really doubt organic pads would help at all.
    Have you tried taking it to your LBS?
    If they can't fix the chirping, they won't charge you.
    If they can, it'll probably be like $10.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandontw
    The bike I just picked up has Aquila's on it, and they have loosened up a little since I first got the bike, but I can still lock up either tire anytime I want almost. I cant imagine wanting anymore stopping power. I am a fat ass too, at 260-280 pounds

If you're hearing most of the scrub when hitting hard turns then its likely your forks flexing . May need the calipers shimmed a bit.

Members who have read this thread: 0