Suntour Forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Suntour Forks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Suntour Forks

Let me start by saying I have bought two bikesdirect bikes. One for me, the $1000 phantom 29er pro and the 700HT 26er for my friend just last year. Very happy with both bikes

I am looking for a 29er for another one of my friends and the quality seems to have dropped quite a bit in the last year. Suntour forks? Are these anygood. There are a couple of what looks like nice 700 29ers, but then the suntour fork....

Anyone know anything about these?

mtbr member
    The pro's of the forum will know best, but I know they have been around a long time. And looking at there website shows some pretty impressive forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Suntour forks are not very good. Very heavy and minimal adjustments. The ones on the Motos use a coil in each leg, so they most certainly weigh a ton. They also have no rebound damping which means you will have a hard time dialing in the feel of the fork. This fork would be fine for a beginner who doesn't know any better. But for anyone who has ridden a "real" fork it would be very dissappointing.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dst...100+29%27.html
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

AZ
    banned
    Friends don't let friends ride Suntour.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ...damn !

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So does anyone have an actual opinion or experience with the Suntour forks on the Motobecane 29ers.

As to those bashing Motobecane, I came to this forum to avoid trolls like you. Go Troll somewhere else please.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlreese View Post
    So does anyone have an actual opinion or experience with the Suntour forks on the Motobecane 29ers.
    They are about as good as you would expect a very low end fork to be, They do however have an inordinate amount of seals that leak as well as a poor seal design that traps dirt and grime in the seal lip. It also appears that Suntour does not stock replacement seals. Sorry to present a rather grime picture.

mtbr member
    There is a post somewhere around here from a Suntour employee (actually, now that I think about it, might have been RST) explaining the models of forks---some of the more expensive ones are decent.
    Last edited by SuperJETT; 06-01-2011 at 05:41 AM.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

mtbr member
    May 2006

the straight scoop

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    They are about as good as you would expect a very low end fork to be, They do however have an inordinate amount of seals that leak as well as a poor seal design that traps dirt and grime in the seal lip. It also appears that Suntour does not stock replacement seals. Sorry to present a rather grime picture.
    Hi, This is Doug from SR Suntour. First, it's important to understand that we offer a wide variety of forks ranging from what you would purchase at a department store to forks that win World Cup races. (just last weekend in-fact)

We have operated a Warranty Service Center in Vancouver, WA for the past approx 10 years. We have wiper seals along with most other parts in stock, but honestly, we get very few requests for seals. You can call or e-mail us and talk to a real person. Simple concept.

Concerning our 32mm wiper seal that is sub-optimal, we have re-designed that seal based on the input from an mtbr forum member.

Thanks..............Doug

mtbr member
    freshw00d aka doug, i'm glad you have responded.

i personally like the fact manufacturer representatives are concerned about their product and are active on the forums to help inform people about their products.

i just hope you don't get bashed/thrashed (like mike from bd) from others because of your participation.

peace!
    live long & prosper!!

mtbr member
    Hey guys I have a Suntour epicon and for the price its a good fork all except for the seals as Doug said. I am stoked to get some new seals other than that the fork is great. My fork does not flex its only 1700 grams and it has 100 to 140mm travel adjustment on the go. I will say the lever for the travel adjustment is a little cheap but so what. I paid 200 euro for the fork and I use it 3 to 4 times a week now for over 8 months now with no problems. So to all of you guys who have never used suntours higher end stuff don't talk. I will agree the lower end stuff is crap but you get what you pay for 500 dollar bike cheap fork . I have a ht with a fox32f100 fork and I must say for the money the Epicon feels the same but it does not look as good. If I close my eyes and push on both forks they both feel the same. The fox is lighter and looks better but the Fox was 500 euro and the suntour was 200 euro. So to anyone who is wondering I have listed the suntour forks that are good. Have a look at my pics. Ps the epicon is only 1700 grams the fox is 1550

Epicon
    Axon
    Durolux
    Raidon

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    So where exactly do you purchase these world cup winning Suntour forks? I am not doubting they exist, but I have never seen one on a bike, in a store or for sale online.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dst...LC-Ti+CTS.html

I think its the axon the xc guys run

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jpeters View Post
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dst...LC-Ti+CTS.html

I think its the axon the xc guys run
    It may be on their website, but you can't buy it from the website. They can talk all day about how great their forks are, but if you have no distribution channels then what does it matter?
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    It may be on their website, but you can't buy it from the website. They can talk all day about how great their forks are, but if you have no distribution channels then what does it matter?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/S...Search=suntour

mtbr member
    May 2006

North America Distribution

Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Right behind the desk I sit at is a warehouse full of forks, cranks and shocks. Give me a call or e-mail and I will try to set you up with what you want/need. 425 354 4965 - [email protected]

Doug

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by freshw00d View Post
    Right behind the desk I sit at is a warehouse full of forks, cranks and shocks. Give me a call or e-mail and I will try to set you up with what you want/need. 425 354 4965 - [email protected]

Doug
    Cool. I don't need a fork right now, but its always good to have lots of options for when I do.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey Doug,
    My name is Gerry and I too live here in Vancouver, Wa
    I had no idea suntour was right here... anyway, I bought a bike at performance bike 2008 that was a previous years model and it has epicon suntour forks... the problem I have is the seal just started leaking but I have no idea what model # or dimensions the fork is to get replacement seals.. I just received the owners man for the bike itself, nothing about the components... what do you suggest? thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by freshw00d View Post
    Hi, This is Doug from SR Suntour. First, it's important to understand that we offer a wide variety of forks ranging from what you would purchase at a department store to forks that win World Cup races. (just last weekend in-fact)

We have operated a Warranty Service Center in Vancouver, WA for the past approx 10 years. We have wiper seals along with most other parts in stock, but honestly, we get very few requests for seals. You can call or e-mail us and talk to a real person. Simple concept.

Concerning our 32mm wiper seal that is sub-optimal, we have re-designed that seal based on the input from an mtbr forum member.

Thanks..............Doug
    Whats the differences in your AXON line? I noticed you guys had a few different versions? This line seems interesting, i will be looking for a Fork here soon.

mtbr member
    May 2006

contact info

Quote Originally Posted by Germeister View Post
    Hey Doug,
    My name is Gerry and I too live here in Vancouver, Wa
    I had no idea suntour was right here... anyway, I bought a bike at performance bike 2008 that was a previous years model and it has epicon suntour forks... the problem I have is the seal just started leaking but I have no idea what model # or dimensions the fork is to get replacement seals.. I just received the owners man for the bike itself, nothing about the components... what do you suggest? thanks
    send an e-mail to [email protected] and nick should be able to send you an owners manual and give you whatever assistance you need with your fork.

Doug

Members who have read this thread: 2